Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - [Fic] Crossroads [mature]

z-Celeste Prideaux

St. Tropez, France, Marc Murdoc’s private summer house

December 15, 1999

Eyes turned as she entered. They couldn’t help themselves. When Celeste Prideaux walked into a room, intent on seduction, people stared. It was like flowers to the sun; man and women looked at her. The svelte French-Italian beauty paused in the doorway, allowing the room to study her even as she studied them. Her dress was a deep green that showed her dusky, flawless skin to perfection and hugged her curves fervently. An emerald scarf wrapped around her neck and draped down her back adding a bit of airy lightness to the garment. Her raven hair was allowed to hang long and straight, moving around her shoulders like a curtain. Her legs, smoothed by May’s metamorph gifts, needed no hose. Gray eyes, accented only lightly by makeup, studied each person in turn. She was looking for someone in particular, but didn’t allow her expression to betray that when she saw them.

Pleased, Celeste entered the room, moving through the crowds. Unconsciously, they made way for her. It was due to her mutant force of presence, to a degree, but the rest was simply her aura of being untouchable and unavailable. Men who would normally approach the prettiest woman in the room found themselves hesitating, sensing that she was out of their league. Even Marc Murdoc had a momentary pause when the sea of his friends parted to allow him his first vision of Celeste. Fortunately for him, she was walking right toward him.

As she approached, a slight smile on her face, she reviewed the facts. Marc Sullivan Murdoc, sixty-three. Five-eight, one hundred forty pounds with a face that had seen too much sun, though his piercing features held a certain attractiveness. Citizenship: United States, though his father was a Scottish immigrant. He still had all of his white hair and carried himself with vigor, which some claimed was due to pharmaceuticals. He was ridiculously wealthy and the inventor of some of the world’s most cutting edge weapons technology. Owner of Murdoc Industries, the engine which created his weapons. Asshole and douchebag were the most common phrases used to describe him; whore and letch were the favored terms his three ex-wives used.

Celeste’s eyes flicked to his side, where his fourth wife was talking with one of his friends. Even in profile, Skye Duchesne-Murdoc was beautiful, and Celeste found her eyes lingering on the woman. She was only a couple of inches shorter than Murdoc, with thick, wavy brown hair and deep, dark eyes. Her body was attractive, but not in the overblown way that Murdoc’s three previous wives had sported. Her face was her most charming feature; her smile and features implied a youthful playfulness that Celeste found appealing. The girl was twenty-three, a brilliant physicist and the first wife of Murdoc’s to have any intelligence at all. If rumors were to be believed, she had played more than a significant part in the development of Murdoc’s latest targeting system.

Attempting to focus, Celeste pulled her eyes away from the enchanting woman, bringing her gaze back to Murdoc. He’d regained his confidence by her approach and was now waiting for her, his eyes playing over her form. Celeste was a little older than he liked his women, but she was confident that her beauty would make up for that. “Mr. Murdoc,” she murmured, her husky voice thick with both her French and Italian heritage, “I wanted to introduce myself to you.”

Her sources had told her that he liked bold women. Celeste certainly hoped so.

Murdoc reached for her hand and displaying an unusual elegance bowed and kissed it the way high etiquette teached.

„Enchanté“, he murmered quietly then drew her somewhat closer taking in her intoxicating scent. The entire party had their eyes on them, mostly on Celeste for her beauty radiated throughout the room like a beacon. Celeste could feel Murdoc’s desire evaporating through his every fibre but they were interrupted by his wife just before he could followup with an invitation to his private quarters.

Skye put an arm around Murdoc pulling herself closer to him and strategically filling the gap between Celeste and her husband. There was no jealousy or envy in her look, instead she could see a similar keen interest reflecting in the young woman’s dark eyes as if she was admiring Celeste’s entrancing figure with increasing arousal.

„I assume you are acquainted with my beautiful wife?“, Murdoc picked up the starting conversation and lowered his head to look at Celeste above his tinted glasses. „And you, my enchanting stranger – who would be you?“

She could tell by his growing smile that he was very much absorbed by her appearance and he wasn’t ashamed to openly show it. Surprisingly – or maybe not – his wife seemed to be either not caring about his lifestyle or was part of the whole treat. Whether he was aware that she could very well be an Assassin or not didn’t seem to phaze him at all. He was living his live to the fullest probably thinking if she was out to kill him he would die with a smile on his face. Unfortunately this was not the case – the terrorists who were out to get him would make sure his death would be most unpleasent... and publicly effective.

"Celeste Prideaux," she said. She had a cover story for how she'd gotten an invitation to his party, but she didn't seem to need it. The mutant hid an aggravated sigh as she began to understand how hard keeping these two alive would be. Smiling, she offered her hand to Skye. "I had hoped to meet you as well."

"And now you have," Skye said, her French-Canadian accent like gravel on Celeste's ears as she took her hand. Celeste was amused when the woman kissed it much as her husband had done. "So why have you wanted to meet us?"

"How could I not want to meet two of the most brilliant minds of this decade?" Celeste replied. "I like to meet interesting people, yes? And both of you interest me. What did Time say? 'The world's most interesting and innovating couple'?"

• 2 weeks later...

Murdock smiled at Celeste drawing her closer with his free arm and placing her decoratively to his left. He was now holding his wife in his right arm while his left arm was slowly circling around Celeste’s slender waist. There was an enticing aire around him, something that made his audacity rather attractive than repulsive and Celeste had to briefly ask herself if Murdock used some kind of Mutant powers to enhance his social skills. Maybe he was just talented and gifted because there was no indication in any of AEGIS‘ reports that Murdock could be a Mutant.

„You smell exceptionally exotic my dear... I was wondering if you’d be willing to share your secret with us in my private quarters. You wanted to meet the most interesting and innovating couple? Do you want to know what it means meeting us?“, Murdock asked leaning back against his young wife who’s eyes were caressing Celeste’s luscious shape. There was definitely something hot going on here and the guests were lowering their voices as they realized what was about to happen.

„Dare to take this challenge, Celeste? I am sure this will be an heavenly experience for us...“

"My secret is no secret; merely good living," Celeste replied softly, smiling at Murdoc. She allowed no hesitation in her gaze, though she was only mildly interested in Murdoc. If he were using powers to entice her, Celeste would not protest. It would make the unpleasant task ahead easier.

Her eyes fell on Skye, who was watching her with as much interest as her husband. Now this desire was a little more Celeste's speed. Even if sleeping with Murdoc was the chore she feared it would be, Skye would make it easier. "Are you sure you want to abandon your party just for me?"

"Just for... Darling, she's either playing coy or unaware of her beauty," Murdoc barked with laughter.

"She's being coy," Skye assessed, moving to stand in front of her. Murdoc maintained his hold on his wife to the watching crowd, it looked like he was pressing the two women together. But he wasn't; there was no push to force Celeste, only a quiet assurance that she would accept. Skye rose on her tiptoes and kissed Celeste, sending tingles through her body. "No one cares."

"In fact, all of them would leave the party to be with you," Murdoc informed her as Skye broke the kiss. "Anyone who berates me for taking this opportunity is a fool. Do you dare to come with us?"

Celeste smiled at him. "Then yes, I will come."

Murdoc leaned close and whispered, "Many times, my dear. Many times."

• 1 month later...

Murdoc nodded at one of his assisstants who were obviously familiar with this kind of behaviour from their employer. His staff was well organised and quickly arranged their retreat without causing too much of an interruption with the party. It was only a matter of time before Murdoc would’ve excused himself and Celeste could see that quiet a many female visitors who’d hoped to be chosen by him tonight were staring at her with pure envy.

Even though she wasn’t much physically attracted to men in general Murdoc at least had some kind of style and class. He was rumored to be a singleminded selfloving narcissist who had only his own enjoyment and fun in focus but he was nothing but polite and friendly. His etiquette was flawless and very charming indeed. Fortunately Skye was complimenting this perfectly and while she didn’t look like the type of woman to be into this kind of ´entertainment´ she must’ve found a way to deal with it.

Murdoc guided the two woman to a very very comfortable and cozy room. Everything was tiled with old wood, the room was lit by candles and an old fashioned chimney which burnt openly enriching the air in the room with a pleasent aroma. Just across was a large bed with lots of pillows and right next to it she could see a hut tub.

Skye took Celeste’s hand and gently pulled her free from Murdoc’s hold who reluctantly let go but he seemed to know what would happen next and simply let the two women head for the bed.

Archived