Mutants & Masterminds: Struggles of Iannin - SOI Chat

Forge

Atriarchs - Tal & Len forced their First to accept the truth of what they did, and then forgave them. They were enlisted into servitude and were stripped of all self-governing thought, becoming a true servant. Their forms are truly androgynous, and on the rare occasions that mortals see them, they appear to be the race of the one observing them, no matter how many races may be gazing upon them at one time. They appear taller, more imposing and have a double aura of light that matches that of the two suns.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fey - Undermining the hubris of the First Race in full - and seeding doubt into the Gods themselves - Quaress saw no need in punishing them, other than denying the chance to reside in the heaves, instead regulating them to the Feywild, and Iannin when the barriers between the two are worn thin.

Beautiful and Hideous, fickle and vain, malicious or uniquely honourable, the Fey largely govern themselves in their various Courts, more bargaining and dealing with Quaress than truly serving her, though Quaress ensures she always comes out on top, in the end. And the Fey deal likewise with the mortals of Iannin, forced to obey the letter of their oaths, if not the spirit.

The Clysm-Brides - As the First Race forced Cataclysm upon the world and heavens of Iannin, so has Azath forced his portion to become the mothers of his more destructive influences on Iannin. He lays with them, and their offspring are broken glaciers and tumbling avalanches, tidal waves and terrible blizzards, the eruption of volcanoes and the searing winds of siroccos, heat waves and cold snaps.

Clysm-Brides, when they walk the face of Iannin, appear as slender women with gravid bellies, their expressions at once meek and hard. Their skin is a pale, almost translucent white with a faint blue tinge, eyes a burning blue hue edged with the yellow-white of forge fire, and their long hair is a deep, smoldering orange-red. Their voices are the crackling of flame and ice, and their appearance usually portends an approaching disaster, it's immediacy congruent with how swollen their bellies are.

Marghuls - The shapeshifting servants of Kaer. To say they suffer would be an understatement. He washed them through the entropic storms of Chaos and stripped them of their identity, leaving them formless slaves that painfully change to his whim and desire. Nearly everything in his realm as the Guardian of Chaos and Taskmaster of the Damned is formed of his Marghuls, from his throne, to the chains that bind the souls of mortals in torment.

If one could say there was a 'common' form for a Marghul, it would be similar to a small, obsidian-skinned gargoyle, with or without wings.

Discussion from Chat this morning:

Quote:
[jameson] 10:13 am: Do you have a table to roll on between turns for the races?

[jameson] 10:14 am: I was thinking that something like that might be usefull so that the races also grow outside of the god's influence durign this phase

[Forge] 10:14 am: chaos on the kingdom level?

[Forge] 10:14 am: ah ok

[Forge] 10:15 am: I do have one, hadn't thought to use it for each race, but I can.

[jameson] 10:15 am: basically you roll and the Murg come up as having expanded, or having learned magic, or whatever

[Forge] 10:15 am: right

[Forge] 10:16 am: I have one that would only have a couple that don't apply I could use

[jameson] 10:16 am: The Goats declare war ... the giants move ...

[jameson] 10:17 am: sure, whatever works, I was just thinking that the races shouldn't be static during the gods phase

[Forge] 10:18 am: Mention it in OOC, see what people think....and I agree. I would say that each god would then have a 'free' action to react once to a race's action

[jameson] 10:18 am: ok

The long & short of it is that the races should probably develop on their own in addition to under the manipulations of the gods. Damon would roll on his table o' goodness and the races would develop and change accordingly. One race may wage war, or learn city building, or magic, or suffer a disease that sets them back. Afterwards we'd get a reactionary turn of some kind.

Thoughts?

Suggestion for discussion

Healing Rates by Rank on the Rank & Measure Table

• Each "injured" result (i.e. -1 toughness mod.) recovers after 4 hours of full rest (Time Rank 11)
  • Staggered recovers after 48 full hours of rest, i.e. two days of bed rest (Time Rank 15)
  • Incapacitated, i.e. unconscious, recovers after 1 minute (Time Rank 3)
  • Dying recovers as the GM sees fit.
  • Lasting injuries and conditions are Complications and will grant a Hero Point to the player.

Regeneration should probably be slowed, currently it is ranks per minute, I would suggest ranks per hour.

Thoughts?

Looking at Staggered (which is a combined Hindered and Dazed), I think suffering that for 48 is really rough. If we wanted to add a little more bookkeeping, we could break down to it's component parts. Staggered from 24 hours, than Hindered for another 24 hours. I know we want something a little more... lethal, we're the fucking protagonists (okay and some of us are the antagonists too), shambling around at half speed and only one action a turn sucks (not counting magical healing of course).

For Regeneration, I'm not sure, I'm dithering between 1 hour and 10 minutes. At an hour, well, the swift regeneration of a Troll is unfeasible - you wouldn't see anything in combat. (though there IS a way to make a work-around... wink At 10 minutes, it could be seen, slightly, with enough Ranks of Regen, but then I'm afraid that Regeneration will look too attractive to the PCs. On the other hand, if there is a cleric in the party with healing magic, the Regen isn't as impressive.

My thoughts.

Items of regen can look as attractive as they want to PCs, doesn't mean they would ever find one.

AFA Trolls, just because the base power of Regen was slower, does not mean that a creature or something else couldn't have a faster version of it.

AFA Staggered, I like the idea of breaking it down as you suggested. I want injury to be a real threat in the game, but not something that prevents it from being fun or defines the character for a long period of time.

Quote:
blah blah blah

The healing times above are meant to be the base rate of natural healing. Magic items, potions, and clerical healing will pretty much ensure that PCs never have to lie in bed for a week recuperating, but it will happen to peasants who can't afford a potion or to pay the donation for a blessing.

Originally Posted By: jameson (ST)
The long & short of it is that the races should probably develop on their own in addition to under the manipulations of the gods. Damon would roll on his table o' goodness and the races would develop and change accordingly. One race may wage war, or learn city building, or magic, or suffer a disease that sets them back. Afterwards we'd get a reactionary turn of some kind.

Thoughts?

So long as we get a reactionary turn; if a god favors a race to a specific task and that gets upset, its good to know that they have a chance to push the race back toward where they want them. Not that they should get an automatic chance to set things up exactly, but I approve.

Originally Posted By: Damon OOC
Items of regen can look as attractive as they want to PCs, doesn't mean they would ever find one.

AFA Trolls, just because the base power of Regen was slower, does not mean that a creature or something else couldn't have a faster version of it.

AFA Staggered, I like the idea of breaking it down as you suggested. I want injury to be a real threat in the game, but not something that prevents it from being fun or defines the character for a long period of time.

Regen: I like the idea of slower rates, though again without items of regen, healers are going to be in great demand. Is our goddess of life the only healer god/goddess we have?

Trolls: Or our trolls don't regen. wink Maybe they have fairly high toughness which allows them to turn aside damage. But yes, I like the idea that at least one monster gets 'advanced' regen.

Staggered/Healing Times: I'm game either way. Putting a PC down for 48 hours without healing magic actually doesn't sound bad. When you consider that we'll likely have at least one person in the party who can heal, then the healing times don't look so bad to me.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
Regen: I like the idea of slower rates, though again without items of regen, healers are going to be in great demand. Is our goddess of life the only healer god/goddess we have?

I don't know how D&D did things but I come from the Palladium Fantasy background where any cleric could heal, regardless of their divine patron.

Quote:
Trolls: Or our trolls don't regen. wink Maybe they have fairly high toughness which allows them to turn aside damage. But yes, I like the idea that at least one monster gets 'advanced' regen.

Monsters, unlike PCs, don't need to make sense :P

An interesting way of handling it might be to make Zahan-Thaya's clerics better healers; i.e., maybe give their healing magic a boost or something. I agree that all the gods can do something as simple as heal someone, but Zahan-Thaya's devout can do it better.

And Jim, in D&D most clerics had the option of healing (though evil could harm, too).

An interesting way of handling it might be to make Zahan-Thaya's clerics better healers; i.e., maybe give their healing magic a boost or something. I agree that all the gods can do something as simple as heal someone, but Zahan-Thaya's devout can do it better.

And Jim, in D&D most clerics had the option of healing (though evil could harm, too).

I would say that this is a matter of the cleric in question and how much they spend on what powers. A cleric of Konsea may not even purchase healing. Another may have ranks in it because they worship the victorious aspect of the Goddess.

Honestly I think this is a case of look at the character sheet as a whole and approve it based on that whole.

Originally Posted By: Ouroboros

I would say that this is a matter of the cleric in question and how much they spend on what powers. A cleric of Konsea may not even purchase healing. Another may have ranks in it because they worship the victorious aspect of the Goddess.

Honestly I think this is a case of look at the character sheet as a whole and approve it based on that whole.

I agree with Jim on this. I would rather not shoehorn the PC with an exact template, and let each person develop their character how they want. The only template I would prefer to have carved in stone is the Racial templates.

I wasn't saying that a PC cleric of Z-T has to be a healer, but I've always been fond of a cleric's spells being boosted by that diety's focus. I'm not talking a lot; just enough to be noticable. It seemed a good way to make the choice of diety more important than just "Ima cleric, I gots HEALIN BITCHES!"

Originally Posted By: Ouroboros
LOL ... I hope somebody quotes that in game. wink

Seriously though, it all boils down to what you spend points on so the only way to govern this is when approving character builds.

QFT

Also, the wyrm has been added as a mod, as Jim is likely to be the next person to GM after me and do a lot of the character sheet calculating...whistle heh.

As you guys may have noticed, I'm currently not as active as I was last week or the week before last week because I'm on vacation. Weather has taken a turn for the better, we finally have some sun and I'm spending more time outside enjoying the sun.

I'll try to squeeze in a few posts during the evening hours but only when I feel like it. I'm back to serious business from sunday on.

I am giving SOI some priority though. I want to make my first post tonight or tomorrow once I fleshed out the rough edges of my first race so the creative process here won't be slowed down because of me.

While "Turn 1" and "turn 2" have such sexy connotations and strong in game appeal I'm going to reiterate my suggestion from chat a few days ago here.

The first few god turns will be 10,000 years, then 5000, then 2000, then 1000 finally giving way to the mortal empire turns at 1000 years down to 100.

If nobody objects I'm going to go back and change "turn 1" to "Year 0-10,000". Everybody has put a lot of effort into thier posts thus far and it seems a shame to ruin it with an out of game concept like "turns".

Turn 1 - Years 0-10,000

Turn 2 - Years 10,000-20,000

Turn 3 - Years 20,000-25,000

Turn 4 - Years 25,000-30,000

Turn 5 - Years 30,000-32,000

Turn 6 - Years 32,000-34,000

Turn 7 - Years 34,000-35,000

Turn 8 - Years 35,000-36,000

counting up and giving us nice neat timeline windows

We could decide how long a turn is going to take at the end, when we see what's been done and how long that could take to come to pass. That's my vote.

Well, my worry is that someone will have an idea out of the blue down the line they want to include but we are already winding down into smaller turns...how long does a race take to create exactly to make it viable? Can a god create an animal or plant or mineral that pervades the planet in less than 2k years? If so...is there really a point to designating how many years these god turns are?

Aside from perhaps the races progression, I can't see a benefit to saying how many years these turns are.

Originally Posted By: Damon OOC
Aside from perhaps the races progression, I can't see a benefit to saying how many years these turns are.

I just don't want to be calling them "turns" its not flavorful. If you want to go more abstract we'll call them Epochs. First Epoch, second Epoch, etc. Hell We could link the Epochs to the current calendar cycle and the god of that epoch gets an extra (2nd) turn during that sequence. At the end we'll have each had 11 turns ...

I dunno if 11 would be enough for sure either. Also, I think you are focusing on something I just started putting in my post so we could keep track of who had gone in the current round and who hadn't. If you prefer, we can just slam them into spoiler boxes and 'pretend' they don't exist.

*shrug* I'm not going to make a big deal about this. I knew you wanted to keep track of "turns" and I wanted to keep track of the passage of time to give proper weight to the god's turns as well as the age of the "older" and "younger" races. I thought we could combine the two.

it doesnt really matter to me either, as long as we still keep the flexibility we need. we can call them something else for flavor and epochs is fine with me. we could even possibly put in the timeframe reduction later as people seem to be winding down with their turns.

this post brought to you by kindle beta services wink

With only Zahan-Thaya left for the first Epoch, Chaos is about to wreak its havoc upon Iannin. Now, the descriptors I have in my fancy shmancy chart are appropriately vague so that they can be applied to many different things.

Assuming no one has an issue with it, I would like to 'RP it up' and extrapolate reasoning and flavor to give a bit more history and background for the specific action.

Instead of just saying, '50% of the Murg die.' I could say something akin to, 'After discovering ruins of an unknown origin, the Murg discovered a method to cure themselves of a common fungal ailment, but the resulting treatment killed as many as it cured.'

Or something like that, that was complete ridiculousness made up on the spot...but I think the reasoning I am trying to portray is in there somewhere... wink

A note on naming and cartography. I'm generally pretty crappy with naming stuff, I just posted two actions and the only name of the 4 I put in there is the Anupu (which is one I have had rattling around for a while). So if people want to suggest alternate island names I'm all ears. Likewise if somebody has a suggestion for the "orcs" that is better than Skrofan I'd like to hear it.

Archived