Mutants & Masterminds: Struggles of Iannin - SOI Chat

Forge

Re: Size of map

I think the size of the world is fine, we'll never use more than half of it unless we somehow end up gaming in this setting for the next fifteen years or something (and if we do I won't feel bad about exhausting the available setting).

Re: Size of the map

IMO we're gonna need a higher resolution map once we start getting into the god phase. We're going to want to see the greater detail to be able to make our "moves".

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will blow up the map whenever we decide to, it'll just be a little pixelated until I redesign over areas with the smaller 'moves'.

Also an idea I had...what about God's have more pull when their cycle/ring/coils are in alignment? Or even further, weeks and days?

for example...the cycle of Kaer, the Turn of Kaer the Ring of Kaer he gets a power boost? This would be more for adventure plotting than world building...but thought I would throw that out.

Barring objections, we will move into God turns after the end of /next/ round. To keep it moving, every God (that means everyone gets two, and remember to act according to your God(ess)) there will be no order, just everyone gets to act twice per 'round'.

Should order become important, I'll have everyone roll a d20 for each God and we'll sort out an initiative order.

I will also be blowing up the map next update, so expect the full image to be fuzzy until we work over it again. I will also (once necessary) try to keep a political boundary layer as well as a naming layer on it that will change as we go.

I would advise not immediately creating what you want to be final, as this will probably be the longest phase of creation and Chaos is particularly nasty...take it slow, and be willing to go with the changing of the tides.

The only constant is change.

You may also have noticed the Encyclopedia thread. Please don't post in it...I will manage it to keep it sane. Every time you name something or create something, give it (at least) a one line description and I'll put it in the thread so we have a reference to look stuff up. If you do it in your creation post, that's fine, just make a note in the post so I remember, or let me know in chat.

Comments Questions Concerns?

Sounds like a plan to me. I'll probably interspace my own two turns but I'm online quite a bit so that shouldn't be an issue.

Something I wanted to ask people. Do we want to use the concept of Ley Lines in our magic "lore"? Basically lines of magic energy that cross the world and intersect at places of great power? I'm not married to the idea, but I thought I would ask what people thought.

I like the ley-lines concept. I was thinking of adding Fey-roads and Crossroads, places where travel can be unusually swift as they skirt the Faerie Realm and places the barriers between the two worlds are very thin. We could meld the two together.

Maybe as mages and wizards tap into those lines of power, there could be adverse effects on the local fey population or the barriers between the two realms can grow either more tenuous or more solid... Unless of course the spellcasters in question actually work with the fey to mutual benefit... but that would require sharing power.

I plan to treat the lines as this...

The bigger the line, the more stable it is...Places have been built at junctions or near big lines on purpose...smaller lines are more volatile and are as likely to be where they are suppose to be as they are likely to not...or be 10 miles away. New small lines appear and disappear seemingly at random.

The chaotic nature of the lines could easily allow them to be changed to however the current GM wants for his story.

Originally Posted By: Damon OOC
Derived month names (just brainstorming)

First Cycle: Aera
Second Cycle: Kyne
Third Cycle: Bel
Fourth Cycle: Zaya
Fifth Cycle: Talen
Sixth Cycle: Zath
Seventh Cycle: Kahn
Eighth Cycle: Sion
Ninth Cycle: Que
Tenth Cycle: Ahnk

First Cycle: Kaer
Second Cycle: Wulkyn
Third Cycle: Beltok
Fourth Cycle: Zahan-Thaya
Fifth Cycle: Tal & Len
Sixth Cycle: Azath
Seventh Cycle: Konsea
Eighth Cycle: Siponak
Ninth Cycle: Quaress
Tenth Cycle: Ankassar

First Cycle: Aerr
Second Cycle: Kyn
Third Cycle: Belk
Eighth Cycle: Ponak
Tenth Cycle: Kassar

Originally Posted By: jameson (ST)
Derived month names (just brainstorming)

First Cycle: Aera
Second Cycle: Kyne
Third Cycle: Bel
Eighth Cycle: Sion
Tenth Cycle: Ahnk

First Cycle: Kaer
Second Cycle: Wulkyn
Third Cycle: Beltok
Fourth Cycle: Zahan-Thaya
Fifth Cycle: Tal & Len
Sixth Cycle: Azath
Seventh Cycle: Konsea
Eighth Cycle: Siponak
Ninth Cycle: Quaress
Tenth Cycle: Ankassar

Eighth Cycle: Ponak
Tenth Cycle: Kassar

Eighth Cycle: Pon
Tenth Cycle: Kass

Also, what of the ebb and tide of God's powers in their cycle/rings/coils etc?

Asa, is there any way you could take a copy of the map and draw a circle around the area you are indicating for the Blasted Lands?

I'm finding it hard to visualize where you mean, despite your thorough description.

Also, the color scheme...are you thinking the color of Australia (google satellite images to see what I mean) or something darker..more brown?

Eighth Cycle: Pon

Also, what of the ebb and tide of God's powers in their cycle/rings/coils etc?

I really prefer Ponak to "Pon", Kass is fine, but I'll always picture the Mommas and the Poppas now wink

I like the idea of the subtle and not so subtle waxing and waning of power as the cycles and rings go 'round. That is something I had in mind when I proposed the system, so I'm A-OK with it.

Originally Posted By: Asa
Ooops, sorry, Damon.

I circled the rough area of meant for the Badlands

Looking at a satellite view of Australia on Google Earth Satellite View, the colour of Western Australia or the greyish looking part of North East Queensland is pretty close.

Hope this helps.

Perfect, thank you.

Originally Posted By: Jamesoun
I really prefer Ponak to "Pon", Kass is fine, but I'll always picture the Mommas and the Poppas now

I dunno why, but Ponak sounds like a Polish dessert or something..

Siponak...

Poni
Ponik
Sipe
Sina

This is the last turn of doing 'big' stuff. Would you like to pass again or take your turn?

Remember, you can do 3 minors instead of 1 major. So aside from races, you could take 3 'God' turns, basically.

Edit: I will start a new thread for the God turns.

Edit edit: Joani, (no pressure) but a reminder that we still need a post for your 2nd God. I would like it before we head into God turns in the next few days. There is plenty of time, as I still have to do Chaos' turn on the map and he's taking 3 minors and the first one is already annoying me.

I wasn't expecting the trainee today, else I would've posted Ankassar.

My write up will be there tomorrow, it'll be my first priority. I will also take a landshaping turn after I had another look at the map. Maybe I'll be in chat when I get back home, can't promise, though.

Originally Posted By: Joani
I wasn't expecting the trainee today, else I would've posted Ankassar.

My write up will be there tomorrow, it'll be my first priority. I will also take a landshaping turn after I had another look at the map. Maybe I'll be in chat when I get back home, can't promise, though.

Thanks for letting us know!

Re: Month Names
Damon and I seem to be the only ones with opinions here, can we get some feedback from the rest of you please?

The most recent list:

Eighth Cycle: ??

Eight Cycle is Siponak, I rather like Ponak, Damon suggested Poni, Ponik, Sipe, & Sina, of which I can only say I like Ponik. Thoughts from the rest of you?

Eighth Cycle: Onak

This looks acceptable to me - like Carver, I had no issues with it before, so said nothing.

As for the Gods' influence increasing during Cycles, Turns, Tings, etc. - I think it's a neat idea, but it might be better just to have the effects being hand-waved. Either that, only only give a bonus during a God's particular Cycle.

I believe I saw mention of giving followers a bonus when 2 of their God's Time-Spans are in conjunction, but what happens when it's both the Age and Coil of a God? Effectively, they have the bonus permanently - yes, in theory, game-time could span that, but it's unlikely.

Thus, I'd prefer either hand-waving (sure, their big rituals might be even more potent) or have the bonus dependent solely - at least on a game-mechanic level - on the Cycle, so their is still a more noticeable fluctuation in ascendant influence.

My two cents.

First Race, The - The first creatures of Iannin to achieve intelligence and sentience. The original form of the First Race is unknown, lost to annals of time. The First were prideful and powerful, more than mortal, but less than Divine, they sought to become greater than they were. The First sought to transcend their mortality and become refined a divines. To facilitate their quest the First engineered the downfall and death of the god Elan, the Magus, who's form was magic incarnate. With Elan's death they were punished by the gods, and forced into servitude as the god's minions. Since then the first have ceased to be what they were and failed to become that which they desired.

The Shades - The First who worshiped Siponak became the Shades, gaunt figures who take on the appearance of the being whose soul is to be claimed. They act as Siponak's gatherers in the mortal realm, reaping those who's time is up and carrying the souls back to the underworld.

The Luminaries - Those of the First Race who gave praise to Wulkyn above all became known as the Luminaries. They alone could see the future that the Magi would cause, but as with all prophecy they could not change what they had seen, for what is set in motion cannot be stopped, such is the will of the Timekeeper. The Luminaries are composed of pure light and energy and do not appear to have a physical form at all. When they must act, they solidify into the form a featureless humanoid of glowing quartz. It is the duty of the Luminaries to ensure that the Heavens and all within run according to plan.

The Unmakers - Beltok was quite displeased with the First Race, so those of them given into his care became the Unmakers. Beltok loves only to create and uses his servants for that most unpleasant of tasks: destruction. With the Unmakers tearing apart things that have lasted too long, Beltok is free to focus on creation. The Unmakers are gray-skinned genderless humanoids; featureless as if made from clay. This is largely the case: Beltok refuses to allow them to be individuals, forcing them to fit one mold. In this way, he feels that he is punishing them.

The Stokers - Konsea uses her First Race slaves to check the fires that feed her appetite. Their duties are to tend to the fires, to make them burn hot enough to send the essence of her offerings up to her. Mortals can sometimes see them in the flames, their little wooden bodies burning even as they work. Their pain feeds Konsea, too, even as they regrow the pieces that burn away. Theirs is a painful existence; a high price to pay for failing to achieve immortality.

Archived