Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Cat on a Wire

Joani

Felicity smiled, appreciating the sudden candor - after all, it seemed they were in this boat together. rested her arm lightly on the table, her head resting on it as she stared out of the window. Her eyes, now golden in the artifical light, reflected the passing carlights and commercials flashing in the distance.

"The military's got a lot of hardware, but it's expensive I guess. And they probably don't want everyone to find out unless they can convince everyone Mutants are dangerous enough to warrant such force."

She lazily gazed at a moth caught in one of the streetlamps, heating itself to lethal levels as it tried desperately to escape its glass prison.

"Maybe that's exactly what they're planning though - something big to blame on Mutants. Something that will make everyone hate us. And when they come with their machines to safeguard Humanity they will be cheered on as saviors."

She finished the last of her coke, tilting the bottle to get to the last bit at the bottom without unseemly slurping it up through the straw.

"It'll be good to feel the wind again - it's been a while. I am guessing we'd better sit tight until your ladyfriend returns though - she sounded serious and I wouldn't want to have her peeved at us for leaving."

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They already generally hate us Felicity. Even those of us who voluntarily submitted to registration so we could work, those who had "harmless" powers, there was still a great deal of anipathy for us." She finished off her meal and nodded.

"Do you have an idea where you'd like to head next Travis? I can make sixty mile hops with ease, without invoking the virus."

She shrugged. "Trial and error on that one let me tell you. I missed a week of work last time I pushed all the way."

Originally Posted By: Felicienne

She crossed her arms, standing at ease with a cocked hip, but ready to move at a moment's notice. "You, you are knowing this lab. White-hair she can be helping us get in. Travis - you are not liking him and he is not liking - it is no matter, you are not being children, no? He is being the muscle in case things, they are not going well. L'outre - Felicity? Hmph! - true, I am not knowing her capabilities, why do you not enlighten me? You see, I am the one with the skill and experience to attempt this." She gave him a tight-lipped, confident smirk.

He didn’t want to listen to her but something about her voice, about the way she spoke to him kept him from going. His eyes remained on hers, enjoying the way they sparkled in the low streetlight. His face stayed a cold mask, though – only his eyes gave him away.

“Forget Felicity for a moment. She is only a victim and... she suffered too much already. If I could I would get her as far away from here as possible.”, Dillinger slumped his shoulders a bit and rubbed the bow of his nose as if all this talking was giving him an headache.

“Listen – I’m the bad guy, ok? I know I’ve worked for the wrong people but you don’t know what options I had. I do know what Grimes is up to and I want to cause as much damage as possible to delay his plans. The reason I don’t want to work with you – or your friend is his open hostility towards me. I have no intention of being backstabbed by some self-righteous prick who thinks he got everything figured out. Aside from that – he’s a wanted man. I suppose you didn’t know that, eh?”

He crossed his arms in a defensive stance looking back at her, “So we all got our dirty little secrets. But we’re all Mutants and we are not having much time. By the end of this year we’ll be all dead – unless we find a cure.”

Originally Posted By: Felicienne

"You are saying you are wanting help. Now, you are having it." She arched a sable brow in challenge. "Unless of course, you are not being professional enough to work with someone you are not liking. For what it is being worth, Travis, he is not being a bad man. He will help a woman, if he can." Her grin narrowed. "Even if he is having base motives for doing so."

“And can you guarantee that he won’t try to kill me? Because I know that look he had in his eyes. I’ve seen it before, trust me. I’m not having much friends given the nature of my job... but I can tell when someone wants me dead. And your friend Travis would’ve killed me if he had the chance to.”

Felicienne gave Dillinger a dismissive shrug. "If Travis, he is being wanted, what of it? After tonight, so are you, no?" Her only problem with associating with those wanted by the authorities was the remote possibility the authorities would begin taking an interest in her and her past endeavors. "The question that is remaining, are you being still a bad guy?"

Her gaze dropped to his coat, riveting on where he had stored his cellphone, then she meet his eyes again, a challenging tilt to her head and light in her emerald eyes. She had obvious caught some of his phone call, but how much?

"Travis, he is not going to kill you, and if he were, his is not stabbing you in the back," Felicienne affirmed. "There have been other... events, issues troubling us - him - this night and he is being concerned for a friend, who he is wishing to look for. When he is finding a man who is appearing to be linked with those responsible for this," the sleek woman gestured savagely towards the heart of Las Vegas, where the darkness was only broken by smoldering fires reflecting off dark smoke, "you blaming him when he is losing his temper?"

She snorted softly and recrossed her arms beneath her full breasts, lips twisting into a tight grin. With her preference for solitude and self-sufficiency, she couldn't believe she was the one suggesting this. "You are saying we - all of the mutants - are needing a cure. First, I am thinking we are needing to work together, no?"

Originally Posted By: Grav
"Do you have an idea where you'd like to head next Travis? I can make sixty mile hops with ease, without invoking the virus."

"Back into the city first. My apartment, my friend's, anywhere else I can think of that she may be at." Travis cracked his knuckles, "And if I can't find her I'll keep looking." He looked like he wanted to say more, but held to to himself.

• 4 weeks later...

There was a short moment of resistance and internal struggle but Dillinger suddenly relented. He slowly reached inside his jacket and took out his cellphone dumping it in the next trash bin.

“They’re already tracking us. I suppose we should make haste or this place will be swarmed with AEGIS-Agents within the next 5 minutes. I’ll tell you more on the road but we need to get out of here.”, he showed with his open hand at the Diner suggesting that she should take lead.

Felicienne snorted briefly but understood that there was no time to argue now. She made sure to keep herself out of his reach as she quickly returned to the Diner beckoning her friends to come out quickly.

“We don’t have much time.”, she explained briefly as she nodded to Dillinger who gave the others a lopsided smile.

“Your friend convinced me that we need to work together. Unfortunately we can’t stay here and talk this thing through. Would you be so kind and open a portal for us – I don’t care where to, just away. Then I will explain everything I know. Just keep your snarky comments to yourselves. I know that you are no saints either.”

Click to reveal..
I’m leaving it up to Grav to decide where this ride goes

Annalise, nodded and looked at them.. "I'm going to try to confuse them. Just keep going until you don't see a portal."

With that she opened a gate seemingly into the desert, 30 miles distant and went through, hoping the others would follow quickly. Already she danged directions, remembering the highway in these parts from her trip in the blackhammer, and began plotting the rather circuitous series of multiple length jumps it would take to get them back to the city.

"It's so simple it's brilliant."

As Grav opened one portal after another, Felicity quickly stepped through it - she was glad to get out of the diner and able to stretch her legs a bit.

Plus, she enjoyed the feeling of movng through Grav's portals. It made her feel a bit jittery, like a static sheet being drawn over her head.

Travis held Felicienne back for a moment. "Do you think we can trust him?" he asked in a fierce whisper. It wasn't a secret that Travis already didn't like the man. "How confident are you that this isn't an elaborate trap? You and I ... ok, I, seem to have more enemies than friends of late. So, do you trust him?"

Felicienne paused, glancing up at Travis with a level look. "I am trusting him more in my sight than out of it, I am thinking," the sleek woman murmured in a voice so low Travis had to strain to hear it. "This man, he is striking me that he is having the sense to not bother with elaborate traps - too much is being able to go wrong. So, we will hear all he has to say and then see, no?" Her lips tightened, eye narrowed, and she nodded at Travis. "Him, he was talking to someone about you, I think. I wish to know who. Allons-y."

With that, Felicienne strutted through the portal, hoping Travis would follow.

Travis ground his teeth. "He did what?" he asked, all too calmly. The vicious gleam in his eye, the way his stance and posture took on an edge of aggression, all spoke of the thought now running through his head. Beneath his feet the concrete cracked in a spiderweb of lines as angry energy bled out of the mutant, his control faltering. His footsteps thudded as he followed her through the portal. At the boundary edge of the warp his power and the gravitational effect fought each other, buffeting him, forcing him to release the pent up kinetic power. Coming out the other side he glared at the other man for a moment before asking Grav, "Where are we now?"

• 3 weeks later...

From the outskirts of LV they could see a fiery halo right where Nellis Air Force Base was located. Even in the dark of the night they could make out billowing pillars of black/greyish smoke rising up to the sky. The city was under siege and the military had established a defensive belt around it controlling who was going in or out at several checkpoints.

It felt unreal – a city like Las Vegas virtually locked up. A city that never slept...

The Mutants didn’t have much time to adjust to the situation when a deafining gunshot disturbed the surreal silence. Those familiar with rifles could tell that the shot came from a high caliber rifle, probably military.

Please make a Perception roll vs. DC 20. Expertise with guns and rifles get a +2 Bonus

Even after using her powers, even at safe levels she was a little tired. The gunshot however brought her fully into her surroundings, alert, awake, and looking to make sure that shot wasn't aimed at them.

Perception 1d20+8

[Jeremy] 8:35 am: you'll understand folks...

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 20+8: 28

Flowing through the portals, Felicienne mused such an ability would almost be like cheating in the pursuit of heists... And she was fine with cheating in the pursuit of her goals. Still, cat-like senses kept her keenly aware of her environment and she instantly twisted around and rolled to the side as she heard the sharp report of a bullet breaking the sound barrier. Her head snapped around, vivid green eyes narrowing menacingly as she searched for the source of the gunfire.

Using Skill Mastery - Perception. Felicienne Takes 10.

Perception Roll: 10 + 16 = 26

Felicienne also has her slew of enhanced senses as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The gunshot was deafining and only Felicity actually flinched from the sound instinctively crouching for cover and gravitating towards Dillinger... because he was always there for her.

The others not only heard from where the gunshot came, they actually saw where the shot was fired. It was strange to observe because one moment there was nothing out of the ordinary to see and then half a dozen men came into vision on a rooftop just like Predators from the more or less famous movies. They were zoning in to something or someone, moving in typical military style formation covering each other while creating a maximum field of fire. The building was just 100 feet away – far enough to avoid and remain unseen... or intervene.

• 2 weeks later...

Felicienne's elegant jaw tightened in vicious annoyance. These men reminded her far too much of the men who had attacked her apartment, that had blown it up. Out of curiosity, she wanted to see what had caught their attention and out of pure spite, disrupt their plans, if possible. Her bright green eyes narrowed, enticing lips curling in a silent snarl as, like a Predator herself, Felicienne faded from view.

"Me, I am seeing what they are looking for," she hissed, her husky voice whispering from thin air, "and perhaps, asking one of them some questions, yes?" Dillinger felt her warm breath on his neck, her lips right by his ear. "And if you are wanting to keep the girl safe, do not be going too far, yes? You are still having questions that are needing to be answered."

With that, Felicienne stalked after the soldiers in utter silence, an invisible shadow moving like the wind and flowing up the side of the building. She worked herself into a position near one of the flanking soldiers, keen senses attuned to their quarry, even as she watched for an opportunity to trouble the soldier without his comrades coming to his immediate aid.

Using Prowling at half power (Total Concealment from Visual Sense Group)

Taking 10 on any Acrobatics, Perception, or Stealth Checks (Result = 26), enabling her to use her Cat-like Movement (Wall Climbing).

Her current Speed is 3 (Half Ranks -1 for stealthy movement), meaning she can move 250 feet a round

The others watched Felicienne approaching the building and suddenly vanish as she crossed one shadowy part. She quickly got into position and counted 6 men but unlike those that invaded her home these looked much better equipped. She had never seen anything like them before actually and they were about to close in to two young adults or teenagers. It was hard to make out but Felicienne was positive they were about to shoot at kids.

Feli – if you want to intervene roll Initiative. That goes to everyone else too, who is trying to follow her and get involved.

Felicity knew better than to follow the stealthy Mutant - chances were good she would spoil any chances she might have of sneaking up on trouble. The thought did occur to her that whatever could stir up such activity was likely to be Mutant-related. To test this, she extended her senses forward, where Felicienne had vanished.

Mutant Awareness, Perception check:

Roll: 12 +10 Modifier = +22

"Me, I am seeing what they are looking for," she hissed, her husky voice whispering from thin air, "and perhaps, asking one of them some questions, yes?"

"Oh hell," Travis cursed.

Watching Felicenne vanish, she shook her head. "Dammit, we should just leave."

"We shouldn't have come in the first place. This is becoming a joke at our expense." He sighed and hung his head, scrubbing his face with his hand he finally grunted, "Fine. It takes two to tango. Let's do this." He looked back at Felicity, Grav, and Assholeface, "Try and stay out of trouble, ok?" Without waiting for a reply he took to the air racing toward the rooftop snipers in a ballistic arc.

Initiative
Roll: 16 +6 Modifier = +22

Activating defensive shield @ 4 ranks

Felicienne's keen senses made her aware of Travis following her from the air. Wanting to draw the soldiers attention away from him as well as their prey, Felicienne glided silently towards the door leading into the building's interior, ahead of the soldiers, but to the side away from the teenagers. With her deceptive strength, she twisted the knob, snapping the lock, pulled open the heavy steel door, then gave it a shove, enough that it banged in the frame, as though someone had opened it, then ran away at the sight of the soldiers.

Poised in a low crouch by the edge of roof, a silent hiss slipping through her lips, Felicienne was ready to pounce.

• 2 weeks later...
Felicity knew better than to follow the stealthy Mutant - chances were good she would spoil any chances she might have of sneaking up on trouble. The thought did occur to her that whatever could stir up such activity was likely to be Mutant-related. To test this, she extended her senses forward, where Felicienne had vanished.

Her senses extended to the building giving her a general impression of the life forces within and on it. She sensed to two young mutants who were seriously injured but aside from that she could also tell that they were incredibly powerful... at least their potential. None of it was present now but it lurked within them waiting to get released.

The hostile men surrounding them were closing in and would end their lives if things turned against their favor.

"Oh hell," Travis cursed.

Travis quickly got an overview of the situation. The kids were trapped between the heavy steel door behind them and the team of soldiers surrounding them. He had never seen anything like them before. They looked extremely well equipped, their suits were perfectly designed for steath missions and their weapons matched their general modus operandi – quiet and deadly.

Fortunately for him they weren’t expecting any attack from above and had their attention fully focused on the kids when a loud bang distracted them.

With her deceptive strength, she twisted the knob, snapping the lock, pulled open the heavy steel door, then gave it a shove, enough that it banged in the frame, as though someone had opened it, then ran away at the sight of the soldiers. Poised in a low crouch by the edge of roof, a silent hiss slipping through her lips, Felicienne was ready to pounce.

Three of the six soldiers swiveled around and took aim for the new possible threat and repositioned themselves while the others remained focused on the kids.

“No funky Mutant tricks or you guys are toast, hear me?”, one of them spoke to the two teenagers. His voice was electronically distorted making it impossible to even determine the soldiers gender.

OOC: The Twins’ story merges here with Cat on the wire making this their new thread now. I will leave a pointer in Staying Alive. Combat starts with Felicienne’s next action – she rolled highest Init. Next up is Travis. – Combat Tracker of Staying Alive will be merged with Cat on the Wire’s.

The predatory beauty's lips peeled back in a soundless snarl. She had split the focus of the team, but Felicienne had been hoping for more. She slipped soundless through the door, then down the stairs. Half-way down the first flight she intentionally scuffed her feet on the metal stairs, the sound shivering out the door. At the bottom, of the first flight of stairs, just as they turned to descend further, Felicienne spun around in a crouch, waiting for one of the soldiers to show itself so she could pounce without being in the direct line of fire of the others.

"Shit!"

Savannah, as usual, left their defense completely up to her brother, instead choosing to waste no time in an all-out offensive against as many of the extractors as she could. Completely unaware of the presence of any other mutants that might be preparing to come to their assistance, she was too scared and injured to do anything else. She centered her attack on the group, aiming to strike at as many of them as possible at once.

Joani, I may be messing something up here. Just let me know if that's the case, and I'll fix whatever it is. It's going to take me awhile to be comfortable in this system, and with this character. This is part of the reason for my delays. Sorry.

Casting Njord's Vengence, Rank 2, DC 17.

Roll: 11 +3 Modifier -17 DC = -3 FAIL.

Not sure if that means the power fizzles, or what.

Update: Joani, I have no clue what I'm doing. This is a new system for me, and so far I'm not in love with it by any stretch of the imagination. Asa says that I don't roll, that the DC is just for my opponents to roll Dodge against. Carver and/or Mala told me differently, or I misunderstood what they were saying or something. When I read the book, it's like I'm reading fucking Greek. So please, tell me what I'm supposed to do here, and I'll do it. But Savannah is casting Njord's Vengence, if that helps. Thanks. I'm gonna go pull out some of my hair in frustration now.

When her senses noticed the budding Mutant energies - and the physical state in which these (obviously young) people were in - Felicity's mind sprang in overdrive.

Roll: 6 +2 Modifier = +8

She realized that she shouldn't get in the way of Travis and Felicienne - they were dangerous to all that stood between them and their enemies as well. In addition, they didn't need to be distracted in this fight either. She decided that hoping the soldiers would be distracted soon would be her best bet. She drew back into the shadows, hoping that she would be able to get a good enough glimpse of the teenagers to assist.

http://www.rpgpost.com/page/dice/mmroll.php?game=75&id=668]

She only hoped that distance and visual obstructions would allow her to go unnoticed.

Felicity is trying to go round-about as much as possible, avoiding enemy contact. If she manages to get close enough to - and in sight range of - any wounded teenagers, she will begin setting up a healing cycle

• 2 weeks later...

Travis hovered above the scene. Away from the ground his telekinetic bleed sent eddies through the air, harmlessly discharged, or occasionally sending one of the orbiting fragments of debris from his shield into an eccentric spin. Thing below were going out of control so he waited instead, a bolt of lethal power held at the ready, just waiting for one of the gunmen to make the wrong move.

stuff
I'm not really sure what other people's actions are. So I'm going to just ready an attack on the first person to shoot at the kids. I'll make the rolls when/if it comes up.

Archived