Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Just another day in Paradise (Grav)

Joani

The holidays always meant work for most teachers but today Annalise decided to continue her papers after the holidays and take a nice warm bath. It had been weeks when she had the time to really relax and recharge her batteries. The bath was already steaming and smelling good from the fragrance she added to the water when she heard the doorbell. For a short moment she waged if she should answer the door or simply ignore it.

Sighing she tightened the knot of her bathrobe and went to the door, opening it just slightly.

“Excuse me, you are Ms. Gravinsky?”, a tall man with short blonde hair in a military flat cut wearing a standard Policemen uniform was holding his badge up. It read Captain Mark Ward, behind him she could see at least 4 other Policemen, all wearing helmets and fullbody armors. They seemed pretty edgy to her.

Annalise just nodded at Capt. Ward but didn’t open the door. “What is going on?”, she asked hoping the officer would realize she wasn’t really able to have a conversation right now.

“We are looking for two young kids, a boy and a girl.”, he reached for his breast pocket and produced a photograph of a young boy and a girl. Both looked ragged almost like homeless kids. “Have you seen or heard of them?”, even though Capt. Ward was smiling politely there was an uneasy edge to the entire situation. The armored policemen behind her were waiting impatiently, almost as if they were ready to charge in any moment.

“I’m sorry, Captain… Ward?”, Annalise tried to ease the tension by modulating her voice hoping it had some effect on the man. Shaking her head she added, “I’ve never seen them, may I ask why you are looking for them? They’re not one of my students.”

“Aha”, nodded the Captain looking back at his men. “I’m sorry Ms. Gravinsky, based on federal law art 215 I have to ask you to open the door and let us look for ourselves.”, he let his hand slide down to his sidearm and unhooked the security pin on his holster.

Annalise looked at him and shook her head. "I've never heard of that law and I'm fairly certain I know all the Mutant Laws, Captain Ward." She was nervous but tried not to let it show.

"I do know that unless you show me a signed warrant for the search of my home, you have no grounds to enter, and that I have no reason to allow you inside. If you have such a warrant, present it please."

She noted that the Captain was reaching for his weapon and readied herself for it.

"Is that really necessary Captain? You bring at least four additional officers to the home of a legal citizen in good standing, because that citizen happens to be a mutant, a legally registered Mutant?"

She shook her head. "Some would call that harassment." Through it all she kept her voice even, and while not totally lacking in defiance it was defiance born of a knowledge that she was correct.

„Did she say no?“, one of the men behind Capt. Ward asked and she could hear how someone was loading his shotgun.

Originally Posted By: Grav
She shook her head. "Some would call that harassment." Through it all she kept her voice even, and while not totally lacking in defiance it was defiance born of a knowledge that she was correct.

„I wouldn’t worry about that, Ms Gravinsky. I ask you one more time, we need to see for ourselves if you are keeping Terrorists in your apartment or not. We can do this the hard way, if you prefer.“, Capt. Ward pulled the gun out of it’s holster but kept it faced down.

She could see how the other men were preparing themselves for an assault, they were all heavily armed and armoured.

Shit.

Her face didn't betray her misgivings, but they were coming in regardless. The only way to stop them is to do more than just flying.

She readied herself for anything and stood aside. "Fine, be quick then. I have papers to grade still, and a number of essays as well. The sooner you find nothing and leave me in peace the better."

She would get their badge numbers and everything then put in a call. If the police did nothing, then perhaps the media would.

The Captain smiled at her and nodded briefly then sent his men in staying with Grav all the while.

5 policemen in heavy anti-riot gear spread through her appartment making quick scans of the rooms before securing them.

„May I see your ID, Ms. Gravinsky. You’re obviously a Mutant, I’d like to check back with our base. This shouldn’t take long.“, Capt. Ward put his gun back into its holster and extended the other hand expecting her to hand him her ID-Card. Meanwhile she could see how the police where starting to actually search through her closets and other possible hideouts for the teens they were looking for.

It looked like her appartment wouldn’t be the same anymore after they were done with it...

"Allow me to get it then."

She went to her purse and withdrew her wallet slowly removing her ID card and she handed him her ID card, proclaiming her as a Level 2 Flier, and nodded. She'd gotten it, and been allowed to remain free unlike many other registered mutants. Her power to fly was harmless, and though it took some persuasion on her part, the school had hired her.

This all seemed like incredible overkill to her. There weren't any major mutants left in the world, and it seemed unlikely any level one or two merited six cops in riotgear. Some parents had pulled their children, not wanting them tainted by a "freak" teacher.

"So what did whoever you're after actually do, Captain, if I might ask."

Most of the others didn't care, this was Vegas after all, nothing was really untainted here, and As it stood those students who passed her class went on to do well in college courses and the mandatory testing, so it was hard to argue with her performance. She didn't fly in front of the students, To them she was simply an instructor.

"I assume you're checking all the homes around here, and not just mine, as that would be grounds for discrimination."

The Captain looked at her ID and nodded friendly at her while he passed it on to the only officer remaining outside her appartment. She could half see how he produced a portable reader and scanned the ID after which he took his radio and turned away from the scene, obviously requesting further details from his HQ.

Captain Ward kept his eyes on her never even straying for a second just to get a look of her mostly naked body wrapped in a bathrobe.

„The Mutants we are looking for have stolen valuable data from the Government. Classified Data which we need to retrieve as fast as possible. Ms. Gravinski, trust me, the less you know, the better for you.“

„Nothing!“, she heard the other policemen yelling from inside her appartment. The men slowly retreated and left the appartment except for one officer who had his shotgun still cocked and ready.

The whole situation still felt extremely threatening to her and she now had to divert her attention on both men. She could feel her skin itching from anticipation and her heart starting beating faster as her mind played through possible scenarios.

„Captain?“, the officer behind him, who scanned her ID tapped on Wards shoulder.

„You should see this.“

Ward excused himself and turned around to check whatever the officer had to share with him. The men made sure to obstruct any view she may steal to determine what the hell was going on. Captain Ward just nodded and turned back to face her unclasping the security pin of his holster.

„Regarding your other question, Ms. Gravinski – of course we are checking all other appartments but I have to kindly ask you to come with us. Jack, cuff her and tell her her rights. We’re taking her to HQ for further questioning.“

Of course they found something, they planted it. I'm about to lose my job because these rascist bastards can't handle a mutant teacher.

"Will you at least allow me to get dressed properly? You gentlemen caught me not long out of my bath. If I'm going to go out, it would be best for all involved if I had clothing on."

She could escape, but pleading her innocence would be impossible then, because appearance often counted more than substance. She looked at them all. Her gaze wasn't one of hate, just that sort of irritation one gets after endlessly dealing with something annoying.

Captain Ward considered her words and then nodded at her, „Sure, Ms. Gravinski. Pick something and then change in the bathroom, I authorize my men to shoot if you attempt to flee.“

Grav briefly considered blowing her cover but there was still a slight chance that she could get out of this only with some hurt pride and keep her ID safe. Reluctantly she put on some comfortable clothes half expecting to be in for a very long night. Once she was done `Jack`cuffed her and guided her outside and took her to their truck. She was somewhat surprised by the vehicle, since it was heavily armored and obviously designed for Riot-control. There was some kind of cannon attached on the top on a turret and it was large enough to transport roughly 20 men.

She saw that several officers were scattered over the area, checking the entrance of the housing projects and interrogating people on the streets. In the distance where the MIC was she could see several pillars of smoke rise up. From the general sounds and noise on the streets it seemed like Vegas was under attack, the scene was surreal and reminded her of the movie ´War of the Worlds´.

Inside the truck she was placed on a seat with safety belts probably specifically designed for prisoners. It wasn’t uncomfortable but the feeling of being restrained was extremely unpleasent. She was now at their mercy and she could feel her heart beat faster and her throat tightening as the vehicle rolled out.

She had lost her sense of time and the truck had stopped twice followed by gunshots and screams which just added to her general ´bad feeling about this´mood. The truck entered some kind of building or hangar. Captain Ward approached her and removed her cuffs.

„Please follow me Ms. Gravinski, General Grimes is waiting for you.“, the Hangar proved to be some kind of high tech facility. She saw police officers in heavy armor and something that looked like powered armor from a science fiction movie although those looked more like Military grade tech. Actually the entire facility had a military touch instead of being some kind of police HQ.

Captain Ward guided her to another, heavily reinforced door and after fiddling around with a security keypad the door opened. Inside a very sterile and cold facility that looked like some kind of high tech surveillance/research array with loads of computer systems. After walking through some kind of scanner she was asked to go through the next door where a dark room with a chair alone awaited her. From the corner of the room a tall man with greyish hair and mustache wearing a military uniform decorating him as General approached her.

„Welcome Ms. Gravinski, please take a seat. I would like to ask you some important questions.“, he pointed at the chair with his hand while another man, a soldier or Lieutenant approached and handed her a glass of water.

She dressed casually, so as to not to draw any more attention. She took in her surroundings, and was suprised when told a GENERAL was waiting to speak with her. She made mental notes regarding the armor, the tech, and the complex, knowing full well there was a chance she might not see daylight again now.

She waved away the water. "No thank you."

She looked to the General as she took a seat and nodded, seeing no real reason to resist. It wasn't like she had a choice.

"I'll answer to the best of my abilities General Grimes, but I don't really know what answers a school teacher such as myself can offer you that your intelligence service can't provide as well." There was no belligerence in her tone, just a resigned acceptance.

The General nodded at her and then looked to the glass of water she just waved. „I’d take that glass, Ms. Gravinski. This can take a while...“, it wasn’t much of a threat and more stating it as a matter of fact. The General carried himself with the knowledge of being absolutely in charge of the situation – no matter what. Maybe he knew more about her or mabe it was just arrogance, it was hard to tell with these types...

His voice was rather pleasant to listen to and if things weren’t differently she might have even enjoyed talking to him. The General was taking some kind of tablet-PC into his hand and flipped through some pages. „The reason you are here goes way back to your great grandparents, Ms. Gravinski. Karl Adam Black and Lorelei Black – they were both good soldiers and gave their lives for a greater good. Unfortunately they never told us about their offspring – probably knowing the Military would take great interest in their progeny.“, General Grimes turned off the tabloid and put it on the desk in the back of the room before turning to face her again. This time his eyes and whole posture was intimidating.

„You see Ms Gravinski – since your great grandparents were property of the US-Military... that makes you mine.“

She took the glass as it was offered again, but did not drink. "Human beings are not property, General, especially not in the United States. I seem to remembers laws to that effect, going so far as to Amend the Constitution."

"I barely know my grandparents, and I haven't been on speaking terms with my own parents in nearly ten years. I would ask why you suddenly show such interest in my family, but We both know it's because I'm a mutant. Why you think such heavy-handed tactics are necessary however eludes me."

Her stare took on a harder edge. "I've been nothing if not a law-abiding citizen, paying taxes, holding down regular employment despite a laundry list of factors not in my favor. I even registered myself, knowing I could be sent to one of the camps."

"Now if you wish to discuss proper terms of employment, I might be more amenable to them, moreso than dictation of what you expect me to do because you "Own" me." The last part was spat out with far more venom than anyone would expect from her.

The worst they could do was kill her, and then they'd have wasted time and resources. To her mind the give and take was tiresome but necessary.

"Perhaps you wouldn't mind starting at the beginning, because obviously there are things I don't know. I'm not asking for every detail, but enought to make a conscious informed decision, as opposed to whatever other methods might be employed."

She was defiant, yet trying to be accomodating. It could be something more than "You're a weapon" Something important. Or it could be that she'd simply disappear and they'd do as they liked. She wasn't holding many cards, and knew she might be able to see a few more of the general's.

„No one is questioning your integrity as law-abiding citizen, Ms. Gravinski. Of course you are lacking vital information and your defiance is admirable – a trait you share with your grandparents.“, the General turned around and faced the large black wall behind him which suddenly came to live revealing to be a huge screen.

„You see, Ms. Gravinski – the cold war has only been resparked by the Mutant Virus. While the Golden and Silver Age guaranteed peace the decline of your people resulted in a new race for dominance. A race the United States of America will win, no matter what. While you were living your quiet and secure live we are struggling as a nation to maintain our superiority which is nothing we earn for free.“, as he spoke the screen started to show strands of DNA and an overwhelming display of medical data.

„Our enemy is researching a cure and they partially succeeded as you can see here.“, a screen within the screen popped up and showed footage of a mutant being injected with a drug and then able to go full throttle with his powers without suffering any ill-effects from the Virus.

„While their first batch only lasted for a few minutes it is still a huge advantage if applied carefully and mostly strategically. If we don’t find a way soon to counteract this development we will soon lose this race and then only god my save us.“, the footage faded away and the General turned around to face her.

„It is your duty to help your country, Ms. Gravinski. The fact that you owe your existence to the Government can’t be denied – your grandparents were part of a military project and were artificially created. The first Mutants ever to be ´designed´ successfully. They were not designed to have offspring, though... which makes you an interesting... anamoly.“

She looked at him, seething inwardly. An anomally, a thing, that's all she was.

"So why not work on a cure ourselves, Engage in the same espionage that went on during the Cold War?"

"Mutants who could use their powers freely, without fear of the virus would be infinitely more valueable than one who can only use it for a few minutes."

"Even if I owe my origin to some lab, that doesn't make me property General, and I never will be. On this I'm not going to compromise. I know about Civic duty, even patriotic duty."

"You want me mut there have to be others out there who possess powers that are more than the ability to fly."

The General laughed heartily at her last comment. „You mean a Class II Flyer? You can’t fool me, we know about your abilities probably even more than you know yourself.“

The large man sighed crossing his arms behind his back as he walked towards the large screen. „We are of course working on a cure ourselves but we need an extra edge, something to counter their advances and that’s where you come into play. Our scientists want to continue our research – and you are going to be our guinea pig, Ms Gravinski.“

His monologue was interrupted by a soldier who entered the room and beckoned the General to come closer. The two man exchanged some words in a low murmur and then the General dismissed his underling. Shortly after 5 Marines in what seemed to be some kind of powered armor suits entered the room, weapons locked and loaded. One of them handed the General a circular device which he briefly inspected.

„Ms Gravinsky – in our attempts to find a cure our scientists discovered something very interesting though.“, he approached her unlocking the device – it looked like it was designed to be worn like some kind of collar. „Hold still, this won’t hurt.“

Click to reveal..
The General is trying to attach the Collar around Grav’s neck. The 5 Marines look like some kind of Ironman replicas with large guns and rocket launchers attached on their shoulders. They look particularly deadly

"You found away to supress our powers completely."

She swore, either let them collar her, or surrender everything and become a hunted fugitive.

Her mind did the calculations quickly, and she came to a decision. She reached out and snatched the collar from his hands, and fastened it around her neck.

She looked at him with utter loathing. "Happy now General?"

Surrendering her freedom might allow her the chance to learn more, it was a huge gamble, but so was running. With so much firepower, she was certain she couldn't get away.

She lost everything either way. "Now what General?"

The Marines in powered armors relaxed and raised their weapons assuming a more relaxed but still alert stance. Grav could instantly feel the suppression of her powers, the collar wasn’t heavy, the metallic alloy it was made of was smooth and at first cold to the touch but quickly assumed her body temperature and thus wasn’t uncomfortable to wear.

The General looked at her with bemused surprise and smiled at her, „Good – you are a quick learner, that’ll help you survive.“

He turned around and took a few steps away from her before he decided to answer her question, „The Collar you are wearing is currently set on suppression which you may have already realized and felt. We can turn off the suppression at any time without removing the collar so you should better get used to wearing it. Should you try to flee or be insubordinate I can blow your head off or cause you intense pain.“

The General turned around to face her again, „I’ll refrain from demonstrating you it’s effect and leave it up to your imagination what will happen if you don’t do exactly as I say. We are about to enter Phase 2 of our mission and I want you to meet with our inside man at the MIC. He’ll escort you to our labs in the desert. The Blackhammers will drop you off at close proximity. Here is a picture of your contact, his name is Dillinger.“

Click to reveal..
pearce-memento-600x350.jpg

Grav felt a sudden shift followed by a feeling of vertigo and nausea but it soon vanished. When her head was clear again she could feel her powers return.

„As soon as you get to the lab I want you to work with the scientists to work on a solution for our problem. Dillinger has some vital information which he retrieved from the MIC which is crucial for our success. Oh, and one more thing.“, he waved his hand at the huge screen again and the picture of Dillinger shrank in size making room for two more pictures.

„Should you run into these two mutants, run for your life, they are extremely dangerous and will jeopardize our mission... and thus endanger your survival.“

Click to reveal..
Next to Dillinger you see the Photographs of Ronnie and Travis

„Any questions before you are dismissed?“

It was amazing and terrifying at once. She had surrendered her freedom, but maintained abit. She was an asset, hopefully a valuable one, enough to warrant what had been done to acquire her, and perhaps some leeway.

"Two questions, General. When it's done, and we succeed, do I get my life back?"

"Second, Are we trying to cure the Virus that robs mutants of their powers, or are we trying to cure the mutant condition?"

If there were more loaded questions, they'd have triple powder charges with a thermite igniter.

The General sighed briefly giving her an intense look, "If you believe you can return to your former life and be a teacher... I highly doubt that. And about your second question - whatever gets the job done, preferably a cure that removes the V - but if that is not going to work... But those are questions you shouldn't encumber yourself with. These decisions are made by people way out of your reach.

I've got an eye on you.", he added then nodded to the five Blackhammers. The Marines escorted Grav out of the interrogation room and into a largish hanger where a sixth Blackhammer was waiting. This suit looked slightly different than the others, most strikingly by it's size. While the "standard" Blackhammers stood roughly 8 and a half feet high, this was about 12 Feet tall. As They got closer the main body opened revealing a female Marine inside and something that looked like a second seat - like a tandem.

"Welcome to the Blackhammers, Miss Gravinski. Make yourself comfortable, I am Major Nowak of the Blackhammers Special Units. Fasten your seatbelts and enjoy the ride.", she smirked at her as two technicians came and helped Grav get into the Blackhammer powered suit.

She was given a special lightweight helmet which immediately interfaced with the Blackhammers HUD giving her a status on the other units and their own general data. Unfortunately she had no control whatsover and it took her some time to get used to being 'remotely' controlled. The Blackhammers left the hanger and before she could brace herself she felt a strange pressure and shortly after the suit lifted off, like a rocket.

It took a good deal of willpower to not scream in surprise and the speed of the suits was amazing. They Hammers flew in tight formation before they spread in a starburst pattern just above the MIC. Grav could hear that Major Nowak was communicating with the other Units but she couldn't make out any sensible words. Then obviously a channel was opened to her.

"Something strange must've happened. The entire city has lost power - something like a huge EMP must've hit the MIC. We're going to investigate before we pick up Dillinger. Brace yourself, I'm going to make a sweep over the MIC, just to get a better impression of the situation."

Click to reveal..
You can make a notice-check while Nowak makes her sweep.

Grav sat there recovering from the shocking flight, realizing still that she was in a MIC. "Great, I still ended up here."

She was screwed and she knew it. The systems onboard were complicated, and would take time even for her to crack. So instead she relaxed. "Not like I have any say in the matter. Just let me know if I need to do something."

Beyond that she turned her attention to the monitors, watching what was happening outside.

Click to reveal..

„There’s a difference, lady – we may be at the MIC but you’re not ending up in one, so relax.“

The Blackhammer swooped over the area coming to a sudden stop at a Helicopter wreck that was still burning. Most people were running away, the Police was scattered in small groups but was in the process of regrouping – still some mutants had taken the chance and fled the site.

„Damnit – I hope Dillinger is still down there. I’ll secure the area and drop you off. You can use the headset to contact us shouldn’t you find him. I suppose you have to get inside the building and look for him.“

Grav could feel how the powered armor probably jettisoned something just before it touched down right infront of the MIC’s gates. White smoke was rising around them building a nice wall impenetrable to sight.

„Once you found Dillinger find a transport and get the hell out of LV – the National Guard is already on its way and will lock the city down.“

The suit opened and she felt being ´pushed´ forward as she got released. With two graceful steps Grav got off the suit, the headset still on. Major Nowak gave her a thumbs-up and locked the suit, shortly after that she lift off disappearing between the buildings as she remained floating just above streetlevel.

Click to reveal..
You face the main entrance to the MIC. There are corpses everywhere, mostly mutants but some policemen, too. The wall of fog covers you and any possible observers/witnesses who are on streetlevel, too. The place is eerily quiet and aside the Blackhammers there’s almost no other sound.

Perception-check – it looks like some kind of grenade or bomb must’ve hit the area. You can see black smoke residue on the walls and the floor. Right next to it is a dead mutant who looks like he burnt from the inside out. He is by far the most brutally looking corpse. All others don’t have much visible wounds or ´only´ minor gun shots.

"WOnderful" she muttered under he breath. She made for the door and quick and quiet pace, not ready to reveal more of her powerset just yet.

She was on high alert for the sounds of firearms. She rubbed the collar and sighed. "I just hope they don't decide to turn it on when i need it."

She made her way inside, wondering if it was a hightech weapon, or another mutant who'd killed the one she came across. "Whoever did this wasn't playing around, and it looks like they had a target in mind."

She rose in the air, moving quickly, but no where near her top speed, but at least now she was totally silent. She was on high alert, ready to return to the ground in an instant if the need arose.

Inside the MIC looked like an abandoned Asylum. Guards and Mutants were scattered randomly around, blood was half dried running down the walls and doors. It looked like a prison riot and the means to stop it gone horribly wrong.

Grav slowly floated over the floor keeping her guard up and trying not to bump into anything. She reached the stairs and briefly considered continuing on the main floor but then floated upwards to the second level. The situation wasn’t much different here, only less blood and less people. A third group of corpses joined the first – scientific personell and doctors.

The entire scene was unexpected. She thought she’d had to infiltrate the MIC and try to find her contact and then get out, instead she found a funeral. No single soul was left alive. As she weighed her options she heard the familiar sound of grenades being launched by the Blackhammers, then the blast and recoil of .50 caliber rounds being fired and laying waste to everything in their line of fire. She felt the building tremble and the communication between the Blackhammers got agitated and faster, still they broadcasted in some strange language or maybe it was just encrypted. She couldn’t make any sense of what was being said.

Click to reveal..
It’s time to join the fray – please roll initiative and Perception

Everyone was dead, the entire mission was a wash. Still she couldn't just leave, they'd detonate the collar before she got through.

"Fine I guess I will have to fight." She brought up her barrier, to what she knew was a safe level, and hoped it would be enough.

Archived