The Birchbark Heroes Explore the Tomb of Horrors

RPG Post

horrorbunnies.jpgThe Birchbark Heroes Explore the Tomb of Horrors

Angry Alien Productions, the creators of 30-Second Bunnies Theatre, have created a party of heroes to explore the classic D&D adventure Tomb of Horror. The animation does spoil some of the rooms in the dungeon, so if you haven't played through it and think you may it is probably better if you not click the link. I played through the original many, many years ago and ran Return to the Tomb of Horrors in the late 90s.

For those not familiar with Tomb of Horrors it is a 1978 adventure module for the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, written by Gary Gygax. It was originally written for and used at the 1975 Origins 1 convention. Gygax designed the adventure both to challenge the skill of expert players in his own campaign, and to test players who boasted of having mighty player characters able to best any challenge.

[end_news_blurb]

The module's plot revolves around the tomb of the demi-lich Acererak. The players' characters must battle their way past a variety of monsters and traps, with the ultimate goal of destroying Acererak. Tomb of Horrors is considered one of the greatest Dungeons & Dragons modules of all time, as well as one of the most difficult. There is a new version out for 4th edition.

The Birchbark Heroes Explore the Tomb of Horrors

Man, ToH...I remember trying (and failing) that module so many times. When I first started RPG's, it was just me and my BFF in Middle School. My famous cleric, Halwood (who became a chainsaw wielding maniac and then a Paladin...long story) tried repeatedly to go through ToH.

Obviously it was not intended as a solo dungeon, so my DM created a bunch of NPCs to help me vanquish the demi-lich omw to defeating my ultimate foe, a Lich by the name of Xanax (or something like that). In the spirit of not spoiling anything, lets just say that the NPCs got me killed...repeatedly. Even though they were NPCs, they managed to fumble every frakkin' key roll. One always managed to survive to cart my body to have me raised.

If I remember right, I died somewhere around a dozen times over 6 sessions, even with blatant use of OOC knowledge of the dungeon (I was in middle school!) before we finally finished it.

Archived