Around the Web on January 7th

RPG Post

Around the Web on January 7th

Happy New Year. We are off to a an interesting start. We, in the US, have a new Republican-majority congress and massive fish and bird die offs. A new one in Maryland was just reported, of about 2 million fish. Everything from fireworks to HAARP have been blamed for the birds. The fish were just cold. Or something.

I will have a much longer blog entry on this next week, but an English professor at Auburn has chosen to bowdlerize Mark Twain's classic, Huckleberry Finn. Specifically, the word “Nigger” which appears about 200 times is replaced with “Slave” and “Injun” will be replaced by “Indian.” Notably, both words are used as parts of names. The professor claims this will make the book more approachable to a modern audience, although in the US it seems likely that turning it into a reality tv show is the only way to reach more than 5 people.

[end_news_blurb]

The new phone books … rather Star Wars DVD collectors set, is here. At badassdigest, there is a brief article on why the blogger will not be buying it. All 6 movies, special editions not original, with 30 hours of extra features. It sounds like fun for those who don't care who shot first or how bad the inserted Jabba looks. I don't consider my childhood raped, but I won't buy the set; utlimately it's not for me but for the generation who grew up with the sequels. Plenty of kids like the new movies.

The other day my wife asks me, “do you know what is happening to albinos in Africa?” After a few seconds I guess “They're being raped or cut into pieces to cure AIDS?” Which was the correct answer. This probably ties into the autism/vaccine study which was just completely torn apart, though no one who read the study accepted it anyway. Unfortunately, it's not the people who read it they have driven up measle infections and deaths in the US and Europe.

John Carpenter has a new movie coming out: The Ward. Check out the trailer and keep your fingers crossed. Carpenter has had two great movies, Halloween and The Thing, many good movies, and some real dogs. This one does not sound overly promising but I root for him.

MDcwY2UwOGYwZDcxMSZvZj*w.gif

Every Batmobile Ever. In handy poster form.

Steve Jackson Games has a quick survey (2 questions) up on how you buy rpg games. Click through and give them a hand.

At Wizards of the Coast there's an announcement up about Icewind Dale tiles. This looks like the start of the promised Icewind Dale multimedia blitz—paper games, books and video games. I really enjoyed the old PC game. Hopefully something good will come out of this. I've never used tiles before, just as an aside. Has anyone found they enhance the game?

Pathfinder seems to have become one of the most successful (most supplements for at least) games of last year. A new adventure, with circus folk (small hands, smell like cabbage) is out for Pathfinder and other systems. I love evil clowns. Or hate them At least fear them. Check out Strange Bedfellows.

Originally Posted By: RPG Forum
I will have a much longer blog entry on this next week, but an English professor at Auburn has chosen to bowdlerize Mark Twain's classic, Huckleberry Finn. Specifically, the word "Nigger" which appears about 200 times is replaced with "Slave" and "Injun" will be replaced by "Indian" Notably, both words are used as parts of names. The professor claims this will make the book more approachable to a modern audience, although in the US it seems likely that turning it into a reality tv show is the only way to reach more than 5 people.

As far as I am concerned this is censorship, and, as such, should not be tolerated.

Archived