Around the Web on December 24th

RPG Post

Around the Web on December 24th

Joyous Saturnalia or whatever Holiday(s) you are observing. The International Space Station sends holiday greetings also, in this short video.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

While we're on videos, this live action version of a first person shooter is well done.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I had heard nothing of this new movie, Hanna, with Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett but the trailer intrigues me. A well-trained teenage girl dispatching agents left and right, with Cate Blanchett looking decidedly evil.

More stuff around the Web

[end_news_blurb]

This is not new necessarily, but the Council of Conservative Citizens and a site I will not honor with a mention are raising a ruckus over Heimdall in being played by a black actor.

">

The geek protest was one thing, with fan boys pointing out the obvious--Norse guys were white--but the whole racist contingent is a strange twist. Are they looking for historical accuracy in an imaginary group of non-existent beings? If I read the movie synopsis right, the Norse Gods are envisioned as hi-tech aliens, so the complaints are even more bizarre, racists arguing that made up aliens are playing imaginary gods incorrectly.

There was some outcry when Michael Clarke Duncan played Kingpin in Daredevil and when Samuel Jackson was signed to play Nick Fury in The Avengers, though who can really speak out against Jackson? But really, where does it end? Do we complain that Daniel Radcliffe is a muggle, pretending to be a wizard? Sometimes one must look at the company one keeps, and in this case, the geeks might not want to hold hands with whack-job haters. Penny Arcade has a little to say on the issue.

A couple of artists have started a site where they reinterpret D&D monsters. there's even a brief animation of a fire giant. There are some cool ideas. I think they might benefit from a few more contributors as the variety of styles does not change as much as I would like but what they do have is wildly divergent from the WotC illustrators.

Another species of human, that coexisted with Neanderthals and early man, has been discovered. The interesting part may not be the divergence so much as the coexistence in the same site, and inter breeding. We humans are a randy lot; Captain Jack Harkness seems true to life.

There is a cool short film, Modern Times up on vimeo, and yes, they know there is a Chaplin film with that name. Made for no money but showing a lot of talent, I was entertained.

NORAD and Google are tracking Santa again this year. Let's hope no one gets the notion that an unknown alien invading US airspace with large unidentified packages is a perfect time to replay the seminal scene in The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Again, a happy holidays to one and all.

Archived