Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 10: Heritage

Justin OOC

Kai nodded. "I'm in agreement with her. we can sit back and relax at least to catch our breath. Once the all clear is given, We can start a rotation for leave and such."

It wasn't totally fair that the officers were taking a little break, but the others hadn't faced Takashi and Hizashi.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I would think everyone present here has earned their pass first... but me. I would assume I got 20 years of history to catch up on and fast. Also there's probably new protocols and regulations I'll have to familiarize myself with."

She sighs, scratching her head. "I might as well grab a school uniform, feels like grade school all over again." She says with a laugh. "Oh well. At least we made it. We deserve some time to sit back and thank our lucky stars we did it."

"And Hideko, you sort of remind me of my little sister... although now she can probably be called my big sister... if she's still around... oh dear..."

She stops her reverie suddenly. "My family... my sisters and aunts, my mother... I've been gone so long they must have thought I died... what if..."

She sits down on the ground. Realizing the main negative of being humanity's first time traveler. "Mum... Before anything I have to find her first. At least I have to know if she's alright."

"MY mum... she lived on Earth. London, United Kingdom."

She scratches her head. "I suppose if you dig off of the family registries, you can find the rest of my close relatives from there. The only place you'll find my father is in a grave in Cardiff, Wales, on the Rathbone estate graveplot. You might find my mother in Tokyo now if she's moved on. She had family there, if I remember correctly."

"Yeah... then again you didn't have a captain commit suicide in front of you in combat instead of surrendering." She says, slightly muffled by her flight suit and her legs. She's never had a combatant do that... they had always either surrendered or dies honorably. This to her was... fanatical... insanity at it's most illustrated.

"How much combat have you seen?" Francis inquired, quirking his lips. "Not the way I'd go necessarily, but some think it better to die than live to be disgraced by defeat, held in captivity and then receive the execution you knew was coming anyway. Besides, they tried to blow the planet from space to deny us victory. Self-destruction to take enemies with you is in that same category. These guys were perfectly content with dirty tricks."

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
As Skye waited, staring morosely at the floor, a familiar voice piped up from next to her.

"Hey," Lily said with sympathy and a bit of humor. "You're not looking like someone who just beat a godling at his own game here."

"Are you okay?"

"No," Skye said listlessly. She looked up at Lily for a second, but the alien princess still saw the anger. She knew what the priestess was thinking and feeling: a long time ago, the Old Man had once bared all of Skye's secrets to a fellow priestess. Skye had been mortified and violated then; she felt the same way now. In so many ways, the symmetry to that moment was eerie.

"No, I'm not okay. All I ever wanted out of this mess-" Skye cut off as her voice warbled with tears. "I'm really not okay, and I just want to leave. Go... go back to looking for him. That's all." It hurt a little that she didn't have to say who 'him' was to Lily. It was like Keiko all over again, but worse. Skye's pride had been wounded then; this time, her heart had been laid bare before a woman she'd considered an enemy only a short time before.

"This is yours." Skye pulled the sword she'd taken from the throne; it seemed to appear from somewhere in the tatters of her kimono. "Or your family's, anyway. It was on one of the thrones, and when Takashi was talking about destroying everything- Bah, you already ficken know. Take it."

She'd taken it in hopes that if everything else in and of the palace was destroyed, that something of the Dalaraan people could be saved. Skye hadn't known that she'd taken Lily's brother's ceremonial sword, or at least she hadn't until she stopped and realized she knew it now. Ugh, this sucks.

"You can have it, if you want it," Lily said. "It's not a piece of my brother, or a symbol of anything that's important right now, except maybe of courage and spirit...in which case you've earned it."

She shook her head. "I just wanted to say, before you disappeared...well, two things. First, thanks. I know it feels hollow because you didn't want any of this, and it was all forced on you so why am I thanking you for something like that... But the fact is that you didn't have to stay and fight. You didn't have to give yourself to help Tsunami...and if you hadn't, I'd have understood why. I'm not thanking you for being here, or for anything else that was forced on you. I'm thanking you for making the choices you did, and saving my world because of them."

"The second thing I wanted to say was...will you let us help you? It's only fair, after all. Kai's a Skeleton Key. Wherever Kazuo went, we will be able to find him. You won't have to leave this world even. And if you want to leave, well, we can send you wherever you want to go. It's up to you."

Rebecca gets back up from her seated position, straightening out her flight suit. Letting Lily and Skye speak to each other. "If I am not needed, I have to do some diagnostic work on the SeaTalon. I have to make sure the systems are flight worthy for... wherever we're going to go next. Or at least I. I don't know when my SCRT-4 superiors'll realize I've returned and call me back for debriefing... or worse I get accused of being AWOL. This'll have to be sorted. Alot."

She starts walking outside. "That and I can use a good shower... again. Really thought I punched my ticket up there that time."

Kai shook his head. "It can wait Rebecca, go rest. With the recover teams inbound, It will be taken care of. I wouldn't worry about your direct superior, You have an ace in the hole where that's concerned."

He looked to Francis, Klan and the others, as Ryoma rejoined them. "The others are inbound, it will be about half an hour. There's good news as well."

Kai looked at him. "CRT's one, two, and six, they gave us their unconditional surrender. Kai, that brings the total force under arms, if you take their bondword, to Five nearly full-size combat CRT's, and once our repairs are complete, We lost an Avalon and the Essex, and we might get the Amaterasu working."

"You won the trial Kai, as it stands, you're the undisputed head of Satoshi now."

"How many pilots?"

"five hundred, and their machines, including all two hundred members of CRT-1, save Hizashi and Ayato. These are the Elite of Satoshi, Kai, and they're yours now."

The young man sat his face a mask.

"Don't forget you guys gained a MIA pilot!" Rebecca says with a smile on her face as she leaves. "And thanks for setting up the coverage. It'll make my life easier. I'll be outside, just call on me if you need me." She says, stepping outside.

She inspects her mecha as a couple of SCRT-4's technicians in heat-resistant suits collect the re-entry shields for reloading in the SeaTalon. "Who still uses these old relics?" one of them quips as Rebecca walks up. "Someone who's been gone for 20 years, guys."

The technicians recognise the rank pips on the neck of Rebecca's suit and salute. "Ma'am!"

"As you were, technicians. You got work to do." Rebecca says looking up at her mecha's new paintjob. in a way, SeaTalon looked uncomfortable in it's armor, as if it wasn't truely what it wished to be. She walks over and pats it on it's cooled armor with her gloved hand. "Don't worry dear, once we get you to a hangar I can look you over and make some modifications. You could use a better paint job than that default pattern, kiddo."

She closes her helmet again and walks over to the technicians to help with the re-entry bag retrieval. "Here, lemmie help you guys with all this."

As she starts to work with one of the airbags, the heat still radiating from the outer membrane of it seems to go through the gloves and she drops it out of reflex. "Yow... uh... maybe not. I'll just operate the crane over here..." She says after stepping back then dousing her gloved hands in water to cool the suit off then checks the surface of them for any melt-damage. "Hmm, works in space but the minute I put my hand to the flame ZING. Either that or the airbags are still way hotter than my suit's specifications."

"IF their word is good." Francis murmured suddenly. That just gave Kai more power, should he decide to use it. Hell, Ryoma had said they were Kai's, weren't they? This worried pit in his stomach pushed up a little.

He stood up sharply, and firmly announced, "I'm going out. I need some time to think." Tapping a control on the suit, he teleported out onto the front gateway of the ornate vast palace. And sat down on the steps. Was he getting so shaken up that he was seeing ominous portents in every line?

He had played his part in the system where he had been born, but those days were past. The hard part was, how could he get these feelings off his chest to someone who would believe him?

Skye stared at Lily, and the Daralaan saw the tiredness in their blue depths. She’d been through so much and now there was nothing left in her but exhaustion. Her attempt to walk out had been caused mostly by that same weariness; she wasn’t thinking as much as reacting. And now she was clutching a sword that belonged to the dead prince of an alien race.

“Fine,” she said softly. “I should rest. Just for a moment.” The blonde carefully rose to her feet and staggered after Lily. As they walked back to Kai, Skye asked, “So that Bankai thing… we really weren’t supposed to be able to do that, weren’t we?” Lily nodded. “So how the Holle did we do that?”

"I don't know," Lily said, flashing a quick, excited grin at Skye. "I have no idea. When I saw you knock yourself out to save Tsunami, I realized that the only way I could protect you was to bring you inside the Avatar, so you'd be behind its energy field just like my real body was. The Avatar is made from my spirit's power, it shouldn't have been anything more. The only thing I can think of is that you're a priestess...in this world of Tsunami...and I'm Tsunami's daughter. Maybe the Avatar is close enough to Her that it reacted with your status as priestess..."

She shrugged. "It's all just guessing though. Maybe it was the pressure of the moment. It was amazing though wasn't it? I mean...I know it's touchy, with the sharing thoughts thing, but other than that...I've never touched power like that before. Never come close."

Skye didn’t look nearly as excited as she added, “I’ve never felt power like that either.” Swallowing, she rubbed her forehead, looking tired. “I’m really not sure what to think about it.” She gave a wry smile. “I’m sure I’ll have a boisterous and bitch opinion after some rest.”

“Definitely!” Lily chirped, knowing this to be true.

“We should figure out how that happened,” Skye went on. “I’d hate for enemies to figure it out and come at us like Voltron Bankai.”

Click to reveal..
Justin, you do not get to use that idea. :P It is mine!

"I don't think it would even be possible with someone else's..." Lily said, her brow furrowing with thought. "My 'bankai' isn't really the same as most people's. At least, not if I understand it right."

She took a deep breath and plunged on. "People who have spiritual abilities instinctively limit themselves, you see. They learn to early on, because otherwise they discover that they accidentally break things or hurt people. Most people are either 'released,' and using their full strength, or are 'sealed,' and have no active powers. Some people are strong enough that they have two levels of release...with 'bankai' being the human word to describe the second level...where all of one's power is available for use."

"Most Dalaraan don't have separate sealed and released states though, because the use of spiritual powers is common on our worlds. We're taught to control the powers without bottling them up. I guess you could think of Dalaraan always being in the equivalent of a human state of release. But with me...and I expect a few other of the high nobility...the ones who have direct bloodlines to Tsunami in the past, their powers are strong enough that there's another level to them. Learning to release that deep level is very difficult...like trying to control your own heartbeat just by thinking about it. But that's how a Dalaraan like me can have a 'bankai,' something almost none of us have."

"But because I'm not human, my full release takes a different form than usual. Most of the bankais I've seen are...they couldn't be done jointly. They don't result in things like my Avatar. Kai's bankai, for example, is just a bigger and faster version of his normal release."

"I think what happened between us was unique. I took you inside the Avatar, because I thought of the Avatar as if it was a kind of...vehicle, I guess. Like one of Satoshi's mecha. But it's not. The Avatar is ME. I brought you into myself, and spiritually, we merged. I think in almost every case, that would just result in the two people rejecting each other and the bankai being ripped apart...like what happened when Kai tried to merge. But for some reason, you and I were compatible. Our powers combined and multiplied, instead of working against each other and wrecking the Avatar."

"It was probably a one in a million thing."

“Ngh,” was Skye’s only reply to all of that. There was a thoughtful look on her face as they walked another moment. “Think we could do it again, if we tried?”

The look on her face wasn’t happy or hopeful; it was hard to tell what she thought of doing it again. Privately, Skye was intrigued by it; the biggest issue she had with it was the sharing of memories and that cat was out of the bag now. One thing that was a relief was Lily’s assertation that it wasn’t likely to happen again. Skye didn’t need more people knowing her history.

Lily had just been wondering the same thing, and gave Skye an assessing glance. Her smile grew a mischievousness that was almost entirely inappropriate for the face of royalty.

"Maybe. We could give it a try and see."

Kai had been listening vaguely. At the suggestion to try again he shook his head. "Probably best to wait on that you two, at least until your reserves of mana are replenished."

"For the record the combination of the Avatar of light and Senki Senbonzakura Kageyoshi went better than I hoped. The reason we blew apart was the attack was so strong it pretty much shattered the defensive shield and the feedback blew us apart. Luckily the shield had already absorbed the force of the attack and dispersed it harmlessly to the planet itself. Still that hurt like hell."

He nodded to Skye. "You only recently learned the names of your fans. The fact you have the power you do is quite impressive. When you attain your bankai, it will be most impressive, should you choose to walk that path."

He smiled. "It's something we can discuss later if you like. I know Captain Tanaka and Captain Illiayev would be willing to talk to you too, and they both have Bankai as well."

He looked around. "We're going to be here for at least a month as it stands."

(OOC I'm going to end this one here 20 CP to everyone involved in Chapter 10)

Archived