The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Matt

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottom left of the page.

I was originally going to wait and post this the week of the game but figured I might as well do it now since people seem to be so excited for the game. There are some issues with the Skyrim Theme but it does most of what it should.

September 27, 2011 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today revealed the stage and screen legends lending their talents to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the next installment in the award-winning Elder Scrolls series. Skyrim will feature an ensemble cast of Academy Award nominees, including Christopher Plummer (“The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,” “The Insider”), Max Von Sydow (“The Exorcist,” “Minority Report”), and Joan Allen (“The Contender,” “The Bourne Ultimatum”).

Christopher Plummer, a two-time Emmy Award winner, two-time Tony Award winner and Academy Award nominee, takes on the role of Arngeir, a powerful Greybeard elder. An order of philosopher monks who are masters of the Way of the Voice, the Greybeards live in silent isolation atop Skyrim’s largest mountain.

Academy Award nominee, Max Von Sydow, stars as Esbern, a chronicler and agent of the Blades who has survived in hiding. Long obsessed with the foretold return of the dragon Alduin, the World Eater, Esbern will teach you how to confront this epic evil.

Tony Award winner and three-time Academy Award nominee, Joan Allen, will be making her videogame debut as Delphine, one of the last remaining members of the Blades – an ancient warrior society once sworn to protect the Emperor. Like you, Delphine is trying to unravel the mystery of the dragons’ return.

In addition, iconic actress and singer, Lynda Carter (“Wonder Woman”), voices Gormlaith Golden-Hilt, one of the Nord heroes who overthrew the dragons in ancient times.

“It’s been incredible to have all these actors together,” said Todd Howard, Game Director. “When you start a project, you always make your wish-list of actors, and to actually hear them in the game, it’s amazing. We can’t wait for everyone to experience it.”

Skyrim’s cast also includes:

• Michael Hogan (“Battlestar Galactica”), who plays Imperial General Tullius, in charge of crushing the Stormcloak rebellion.
    • Vladimir Kulich (“The 13th Warrior,” “Smoking Aces”) portrays Hogan’s nemesis Ulfric Stormcloak, Jarl of Windhelm and charismatic leader of the Stormcloaks, who aims to make Skyrim independent of the Empire.

• Claudia Christian (“Babylon 5”) joins the cast as Legate Rikke, General Tullius’s chief lieutenant, a loyal Imperial officer as well as a Nord who firmly believes Skyrim must remain part of the Empire.
        • [*]Diane Louise Salinger (“Carnivale”), Renee Victor (“Weeds”), and Saturday Night Live-alum George Coe (“Transformers: Dark of the Moon”) round out the star-studded cast of more than 70 different voice actors delivering over 60,000 lines of dialogue.

http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/09/27/a-star-studded-cast/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recommended Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)

• Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU

• 4GB System RAM

• 6GB free HDD space

• DirectX 9 compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).

• DirectX compatible sound card

• Internet access for Steam activation

Minimum Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)

• Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor

• 2GB System RAM

• 6GB free HDD Space

• Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM

• DirectX compatible sound card

• Internet access for Steam activation

<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" WIDTH=640 HEIGHT=391 id="videoPlayer"><PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/eidothea/release/eidothea.swf?ver=009_2"><PARAM'>http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/eidothea/release/eidothea.swf?ver=009_2"><PARAM NAME=scale VALUE="noScale"><PARAM NAME=salign VALUE="lt"><PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high><PARAM NAME=allowscriptaccess VALUE="always"><PARAM NAME=allowFullScreen VALUE="true"><PARAM NAME=flashvars VALUE="bwr=0&playerMode=embedded&movieAspect=16.9&mapp=embedded_640&gen=1&viewMode=sd&autoPlay=false&paramsXML=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamespot.com%2Fpages%2Fvideo_player%2Fxml.php%3Fid%3D6342625%26mode%3Dembedded%26width%3D640%26height%3D391%26newplayer%3D1%26skin%3DeidotheaEmbedded640_169.xml"><PARAM NAME=wmode VALUE="opaque"><embed id="mymovie" width="640" height="391" flashvars="bwr=0&playerMode=embedded&movieAspect=16.9&mapp=embedded_640&gen=1&viewMode=sd&autoPlay=false&paramsXML=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamespot.com%2Fpages%2Fvideo_player%2Fxml.php%3Fid%3D6342625%26mode%3Dembedded%26width%3D640%26height%3D391%26newplayer%3D1%26skin%3DeidotheaEmbedded640_169.xml" wmode="opaque" allowscriptaccess="always" scale="noScale" salign="lt" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" name="mymovie" style="" src="http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/eidothea/release/eidothea.swf?ver=009_2" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/></embed></OBJECT>

Drage, it's not that easy. These days even if you have a physical copy, if the game uses Steam, it'll require you to hook up to Steam in order to play.

Civilization V was that way. It's why I never play it. Steam craps up my system and makes the game run like it's been dipped in gelatin and left to cool. I'm still convinced it's why I can't get Fallout: New Vegas to run on my computer too (though I admit that game had tons of bugs as well).

If Skyrim forces me to run Steam, I will be an unhappy camper indeed...

You are right with mods, but since I don't use them I don't care. As far as controls go, I've never been left wanting for buttons or for responsiveness of the analog joysticks. YMMV however. Like I said before, I got sick of the PC upgrades, the constant sinkhole of $$ on graphics cards, RAM, and the like. I also simply don't have the room in my home for a desk with a PC on it, whereas I can play X-box from the couch, while lying down with a bag of chips on my gut, and a soda handy.

again, YMMV

Oh, I love my xbox for more actiony games, believe me. And I'd love to see games like Skyrim on my big ol' TV.

I haven't found computers to be a sinkhole though either. My current rig has lasted me almost 3 years now, and it's still doing fine. It should run Skyrim too, albeit not at full graphic splendor. I'm thinking of spending some money on RAM soon...maybe even a graphics card...but it's nowhere near the point I feel like I -have- to upgrade.

Archived