The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Matt

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The music has me, going through dungeons and actually getting creeped out.

Also, I feel like John Malkovich when he goes inside his own head in Being John Malkovich, the only word out of my mouth it seems like is, Skryim.

Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim-Skyrim, Skyrim.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q6Fuxkinhug?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't found any technical issues yet during my time with the game on X-box, but I have decided that I need to buy a new TV. My CRT makes the menus so fuzy I have trouble reading them.

I'm loving that a pure mage is actually possible in this game. I have a perk to double my armor spells (Stoneflesh for 120 armor) and once I get the levels for it I can raise that to 2.5 and 3x. Spells actually deal enough damage to kill without draining all your juice (a problem I often had in Oblivion), and magicka regenerates fast enough that you don't have to sit and wait to recharge before continuing down the dungeon. yay!

Dragon shouts are interesting. The full Unrelenting force is hilarious to use outdoors, you can send stuff flying in a very satisfying way.

My only complaint is that the game often seems a little easy, the only dragon to challenge me was the first one (and that was me being dumb as much as the dragon being tough), and the only other time I have difficultly is when I get outnumbered. Still, if my biggest complaint is that I need to bump up the difficultly level I guess I'm pretty happy

Being a mage gets harder later on if you don't upgrade your spells. Those early spell start to lag in damage by the teen levels, and it's not easy to find higher level spells unless you go to the College.

Which I did.

I'm the Archmage of it now. ;)

Hee, yeah! I walked it too. The advantage of walking is that you stumble into some cool stuff. By the time I hit Winterhold, I'd killed a couple of dragons, and done a whole slew of dungeons and quests. That's part of what makes it hard to get there...all the distractions!

Let me know if you need help with any of the College quests. There's at least one puzzle that's got an unintuitive portion you kind of have to stumble onto. After that it's pretty easy.

I explored the area around Whiterun extensively, and then worked on the main quest a little, and then started to walk before I found the coaches outside of Windhelm (where I wasted a boat load of time on a CSI type case that didn't help me level at all because there was so little skill use :() Finally started on the college yesterday, I have to go find the ruins of Mumblebumble and get the Staff of Magnets or something ... but its really far away so I may go and recover Azura's Star first

I'm curious, for the rest of you who are playing Skyrim, have you found the game to be easy? Difficult? About right?

In talking with Damon we both seem to be finding the Dragons a little on the easy side. In general I have only had trouble with my Mage when I have gotten outnumbered with multiple caster/ranged opponents. I'm going to try bumping the difficulty up to see how that makes things, but I was curious how the rest of your felt about the game's difficulty.

There was one time I had trouble with a dragon, and that's when it attacked me in an area where there was almost nowhere for it to land.

Because of that, it kept circling and circling and breathing fire over and over, and at the time I only had short-range spells...and my archery skill wasn't high enough for arrows to be very effective. I finally got it by finding a place it could land and waiting nearby. Once it landed I could move in and freeze it up.

That wouldn't happen to me NOW though, cuz I've upgraded my spell picks since then.

Still just puttering around, making several characters... I've had some issues, mostly when getting ganged up (especially with my Sneak and Archery focused character), and the Giants completely kick my ass (as did the Mammoth) - I'm only level 13 on my highest guy - but yeah, other than having a bit of trouble targeting rapidly moving mobs, it hasn't been that hard of a game. The Dragon that jumped me in the countryside didn't do nearly as much damage as I was expecting... though admittedly, I let Lydia take the brunt of the attack as I knicked him to pieces with my bow.

Dragons on Expert difficulty are a lot tougher and seem to do more damage. Tactics are the same, though this one did get up in my grill and chase me around trying to get a bite attack in. I'm going to try again in a less woody area if I can, I wasted a lot of time (and my once per day racial ability) just looking for a clear shot through the trees.

Dwarven metal ingots for everyone! *starts throwing chunks of metal into the crowd*

That's an understatement. After going back with my mule err housecarl I came back to Whiterun and did some smelting, I now have over 200 ingots of dwarf metal, and I don't even wear armor!

I also have enough Dwarven place settings to seat 20 for a three course meal. I wish I had known that the bowls couldn't be melted down.

I'm enjoying the game. I'm dual wielding waraxes for some carnage fun. The game has been a little easy for me, but that's because I've been having a ton of fun with smithing and enchanting. I've already made 2 pieces of dragon armor, which is pretty sweet, but sadly doesn't look as good as some of the others. Biggest problem I keep running into is getting loaded down with junk to sell because I don't bring a packmule around with me.

My biggest annoyance so far has been with the barrow outside of Inverstad. I can't seem to get the quest for it.

Pff, trade arrows...they don't weigh anything, I hoard them! My Dovahkiin is like the penny arcade comic but arrows instead of mops.

To agree with you a bit more...the first time I went to Solitude, I stopped the execution by gacking the headsman...even after all the witnesses were dead, (which should have stopped it since my bounty disappeared) they kept coming, so I slaughtered the entire town just to see if I could. There are some that won't die (due to being for quests), but everyone else got turned into mushroom food. ;)

I don't use the wiki, where I'm sure they know this, but I found today that there is a step after Legendary in smithing...Flawless.

Fine

Superior

Exquisite

Epic

Legendary

Flawless

Also of note, my total armor rating is 299 right now with Legendary Glass and a Flawless Krosis.

My glass bow is at 94.

Archived