Around the Web on December 10th

RPG Post

Around the Web on December 10th

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is out. Reviews are mixed and I cannot see them making it through all seven books, which become increasingly more didactic and less subtle in their religious allegories, enough to be distracting. I enjoyed the books, despite that nitpick, and C.S. Lewis's other writings, but the movies to this point have lacked something, depth perhaps.

Rockem Sockem Robots Movie

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Not out, but what could be better than a Rockem Sockem Robots movie of sorts starring Wolverine. Real Steel features gladiator robots having a go at each other, controlled by human boxers. Who would not want to see a more brutal version of Robot Wars?

[end_news_blurb]

Castle Ravenloft Board Game

RPG.net has a review up of Castle Ravenloft Board Game. The game sounds promising but there is a weird little aside about Scrabble and how one can always win it. While I am sure the suggested strategy is sound, "If you save your Q or Z until you get a triple word score, and you always put something down on a double or triple word score no matter how bad your letters are, you will always win against someone who doesn't do that. Always." Does not strike me as entirely accurate.

D&D Gamma World Expansion Kit: Famine in Far-go

A Gamma World expansion set is due out at the end of the month. "D&D Gamma World Expansion Kit: Famine in Far-go. A D&D Gamma World Roleplaying Game Expansion. The radioactive wastelands of Earth are home to many bizarre and barbaric creatures. The apocalypse hasn’t exactly made the world a better place. It’s survival of the fittest. Time to build a new food chain. This game expansion presents a menagerie of mutant creatures and a ready-to-play adventure. The monsters presented herein can also be pulled over and used in the Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game." For a list price of $30.00 it seems kind of steep. But we're all like addicts, so someone will pay.

Odds and Ends

I am not a big fan of alternative medicines, not because they don't work, but because they aren't tested and regulated. Many don't work, but I'm of the opinion many pharmacorp pushed treatments don't work either. What bothers me most is when a treatment clearly does work but doctors and scientists dismiss it. Such is the case with swallowing parasitic worms to treat GI diseases, especially colitis and IBS. You may not want to read this story, or other stories that were featured on NPR, but it is an interesting treatment. There's something about worms, insects and creepy crawlies in the body that do not make most people comfortable, but what can you do?

SpaceX has put a craft into low Earth orbit, then had it return to Earth. This private company is going to be making deliveries to the International Space Station. We seem to be getting closer everyday to inexpensive commercial space flight.

MIT and Kinect have brought us closer to the interface of AI. This video shows hands in space manipulating a GUI.

">

Another thing I found on the web today is a list of "things not to do in RPGs" which I bring up because the person writing it has obviously played Trinity. Some examples are "I will not use my ISRAn powers to update Wikipedia." and "During the psi-jump my neutral can’t do mean things to the psions while they are tripping."

http://theglen.livejournal.com/131998.html

Archived