Mutants & Masterminds: Legacy - Spin-Off Issue: "Beauty and the Beast"

Joani

The temptation was to speak, to start asking questions, to complement the dragon on its scales. Although he had not seen much of anything yet, the Green man suspected he would be hard pressed to find anything like them elsewhere.

But he remained silent. He had the uncomfortable sense that he was a third party to what should have been a private conversation. He was very much behind helping, if indeed it was in his power but he had never signed up for conducting business.

His unease was diminished significantly by the sun. The princess and the dragon could plan and bargain all day if it meant he could continue to stand in the light, digging his rooty toes into the soft earth. He still lacked the self consciousness to worry that a sleepy grin was not the proper facial expression for such meetings.

The huge green Dragon looked at Morgana with a look in its eyes that was hard to read. For a moment it felt like the creature was determining if it’s easier to just eat Morgana and be done with it. Suddenly its voice boomed again, „Accepted.“

If Nixx’s blissful expression bothered it the Dragon didn’t show, instead the huge creature bend down granting Morgana and Nixx easier access to its back.

„We have to make haste, I’ll fly you to our conclave and then you have to embark on your mission. The fate of Arcadia rests upon all our shoulders.“

There was no doubt that about the Dragon’s words and the haste it displayed showed just how important this matter was. Dragon’s usually had all the time in the world...

The flight was yet another whole new experience for Nixx and watching the wonderful landscape speed under them thrilled him. They were approaching an Ivory Tower surrounded by what seemed a gathering of several dragons of all kinds of colors. The Green Dragon landed in their midst not bothering much about the passengers on it’s back.

„Sisters! Lady Morgana and her Champion have agreed to help us find Aina. In return we shall grant her a boon of acceptable worth – I agreed on her terms on behalf of all of you.“

The other Dragons eyed them suspiciously and there seemed to be a moment that one of them would speak up in protest but they remained silent. Suddenly they all spoke up in unison, „So be it.“

One of the Dragons emerged from the circle shrinking with each step and changing shape. After it made just a few steps it was still of impressive size for a human, standing over 7 feet tall with an aura of power and grace. It’s scales looked white at first but when light reflected on it, it changed colors constantly over the entire prismatic range. The human shape was very female and of lean and athletic built with long silvery hair.

With just a flick of its wrist it opened a portal which rose just a few feet away from the green Dragon and its passengers.

„Don’t disappoint us.“, the female Dragon Witch spoke. „We will hold the line here until you come back with Aina. If you fail...“, she left the sentenced unfinished and looked at Morgana and Nixx expectantly.

The green man had to restrain himself from crying out with glee as he was flown to his next destination. Only the tense look on the face of his companion reminded him that this was not a fun journey. He was generally aware that the situation was serious but he lacked so much context and was so mystified as to the scope of the danger that he couldn't really react to it appropriately. Were they saving a family of dragons, a town, a country, a world? Was there anything bigger that could be saved? In the end he decided it didn't matter. His role was to help, regardless of who, what or how many he was helping. No sense in being grim about it regardless.

Once in the tower Nixx tried to remain respectfully silent, but ended up humming cheerfully despite himself. The place was too beautiful to be wholy without music. Only as the portal loomed and the 'hard part' of their task approached did he lean toward Morgana to whisper in her ear "So, if we're going to save Aina... who is Arcadia?"

"Arcadia, my Knight, is this entire realm, the world of the fae, filled with magic and mystery, of danger and glory, it is a realm of terrible beauty and majesty, if it is in danger, then all dimensions are threatened." She turned her gaze on the green dragon.

"If I had known the threat was that great, I would have offered my help without cost.. But I accept your bargain... I will return with Aina, if it is at all possible. Come, we must go." With that, she reached out to grasp Nixx's hand, and walked into the portal with him.

Suitably awed by Morgana's explanation of Arcadia, Nixx nodded with resolve and moved with her toward the portal.

Just before taking the final step the mysterious depths of his vocabulary bubbled forth with a broad meaning of 'dimensions'. Not towns, countries or worlds, but whole realities apart, each containing realms, peoples and suns, without number. This was what he would be fighting for? His eyes grew wide and burned green with shock.

"Wait, what...?"

His inquiry was cut short as he stumbled into the portal after his charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived