[OpNet] what to do with a horribly mutated precog

momento

He just sits there....you know what I mean. I think he stares at us, but I am not sure. Crouching by ....no sorry I mean in the wall bearly able to fit in my basement with his typewriter that he grow, telling me really cryptic things.

I would put some clothes on him but his body is lined with surgical tools, this guy should be a pin up for the terragen but he wants to be with us.

Us being a group of novas who could defend Britain and decided to make a fresh start in Cuba, with our unique mode of transport.

The damn filthy directive will never find us here......or will they?

If this Nova is a true precog, and not deranged, those are doubtfully 'cryptic' mutterings. You simply don't understand the context. Have you thought of emloying a telepath to delve into this Nova's thoughts? Find out the origin of this state?

I've heard of an aberration that some of us see-ers of different times can get, Chronothesia, I think it's called. The mind can't stay focussed on the current time, it just drifts back and forward experiencing random moments. One minute you're sitting watching the telly aged 28, next minute you're 5 years old experiencing your birthday. For all your ill-advised larcenistic pursuits I hope your mate hasn't got that.

I don't think it's anything to do with a mental problem, but I just think he is just trying to contact with us on our level when he is on a higher plane of understanding, it doesn't help when you have a quantum monkey swinging off him.

Hey there Sphere, how goes that small problem you had with the Directive dogs, they just don't give up do they?

Momento, I am a precog, I have yet to meet one that is more able than me, and I have been around with this ability from '99. I may not like you, or all your friends.But this friend here, is suffering from something I used to, so I think I can help him.

No,I do not work for Utopia.I work with , not for SDPD. This means if Sphere came to my town and tried to pull something, I would know of it before he did.

Hey there. I am not a precog. I am a nova healer and have some experience with aberrations and aberrancy syndrome. I am not affiliated with any institution, save John Hopkins Medical Center. I am on an extended sabbatical from that place.

I am currently in Sydney, Australia, and have only my feet, or a plane ticket to motivate by. If you have need of my services, please let me know.

Aberrancy Syndrome? Someone want to fill me in here? I thought we was all immune to disease and things like that?

Preston, I've been losing my rag with people on a disturbingly regular basis since my erruption, I'm constantly having to hold myself back from lashing out when someone annoys me. Thing is, I never used to be like that, I'm a rude boy sure but only when I'm on a blag. This A-Syndrome have any psychological effects?

Sphere, you have this huge lump in your head putting pressure on your brain. This can cause all kinds of mental and emotional problems. Temper Control is one of them, and not all that uncommon. I understand that DeVries has a program that help thier Elites deal with stress. It may be something to look into.

What I do is take on the aberrations into myself for a short period of time, be they physical or mental. The relief is only temporary, though I have been told I could possibly do this on a permanent basis, if I dare. My mentor was vague on the specifics.

I do the same things with physical injuries and illnesses, resetting your genetic pattern to what it thinks it should be. This allows me to heal the damage within myself rapidly.

In case you were wondering;

Yes, this can be quite painful and disorienting.

No, I don't do this for money. I do it for my own enlightenment, advancement of my understanding of the nova condition, and to help those I feel I should.

Yes, I would find delving into the possibility that you might have a mental aberration very interesting. I would give you the chance to spend a little time without this possible aberration if you like. We will just have to deal with a Doctor with a short fuse.

Momento, I await your reply.

So let me get this straight, Novas are prone to mental illness because of their nodes!?!

Well, that's a bloody comforting thought. What if someone like Pax just ups and decides one day that he's the Queen of the Banana People and starts blasting cities off of the face of the Earth?

The Directive might be right, we are a bloody threat to humanity.

Cheers for the offer mate. But if this is something I'm going to have to live with, then I better start getting on top of it now. You don't know where I can pick up some mox, other than the 'Topians, do you? Might be an idea if I pop a pill if I feel the rgae kicking off.

Sphere, it would be illegal to proscribe Mox to you. I would be an idiot to perscribe it over a somewhat open forum, like this.

Now, there are multiple rumors of places in Ibiza and Habanna that hand it out like candy, at steep candy prices, too.

My suggestion to you is that you be REALLY careful if you start self-medicating. Alot of this stuff depends on things like your mass, node size, and quantum signature ... and can be very addictive.

If you want to go that route, find me, or someone like me to help you first. The last thing you need right now is to become a junkie in need of a fix ... with a temper problem.

Sorry mate, my corrputing criminal influence again. Heh.

Fair point about the self-medicating, although it'd be tough to find a trustworthy doc in my current circumstances. Addiction is one thing I'd never be comfortable with.

Still a bit gobsmacked about the "all Novas are prone to mental illness"-thing myself. Scary thought.

I would like to hear back from Memento before I offer to help you out, Sphere.

I am not too worried about the criminal influence, seeing as I was raised in a family of cops in Boston. I have half a dozen cousins actively on the force, right now. Then there is my dad, the SuperCop.

Made me really want to be a doctor.

BTW, I don't think "all Novas are prone to mental illness. Far from it. Some novas manifest purely physical forms for their aberrations. How that works, I don't know. I make no claims about being an expert in the field.

I was only kidding about "criminal influence". Some of the Novas on this site seem a little nervous around an honest to goodness super-villain (villain in the East End of London sense). Which is fair enough, most of the Nova population seem to be more busy living the life of rock stars or dabbling in pseudo-evolutionary philosophy (oer! that was a big word!). I guess my presence reminds a lot of them that anyone can errupt. It's not some sort of "Chosen of God" thing.

Physical forms? Would that include special effects whenever you use powers? I get a glowing blue sphere of light around me when I do stuff.

Hey, this stuff doesn't get progressively worse does it?

Sphere, they are still writing the BOOK on us, what we do, and some of the things that happen to us because of what we do.

Is it going to get worse? Talk to ten different Nova physiologist, and you will get ten different answers. My gut tells me that it does get worse, in that your aberrations become more involved and pervasive. You are most likely to get more aberrations. I say most likely because we just don't know for certain what taint is, precisely why we get it, and why we aberrate the way we do.

My rather limited experience tells me this:

-Screw the experts, there aren't any.

-To your own self be true. The best way to screw yourself up is to try to be something, or someone, you are not.

-Stick to your own pace. Pushing yourself on a regular basis may make you stronger, but it is the most sure-fire way to wrack up the aberrations.

The only super-villian around here will be Lemmy if he doesn't get off this bacchanalian kick and back to the music.

Hey there guys,

Thanks for all the messages, I am so happy that there is so much interest in my new and interesting friend. He appartently like to be called "The Organ Daddy", he's speaking to me now....well typing but it is a progression.

Preston thanks for the advice, I am Doctor myself....not offically but I understand the entire medical thing alot better than most normal humans.

Sphere, you can manifest some physical mutations too, my friend and film star "The evil claw" has just developed a new power, some kind of Portal power. But he has developed a kind of dull grey appearnce to his skin.

I am certainly interested in seeing what he looks like in five years time! Human tenticle anyone?

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice, turns out it was a gestalt sent by myself and my group from the furture to give us a few warnings to help make us the super heros we will no doubtly become 50 years from now when we set up our own coloney (I am hopping to call it Asteriod M but The Evil Claw isn't happy with it)

You telling porkies again Momento? I remember that N! feature they did on your group back in 2008. Everyone thought you'd all been killed then you turned up a month later at Hooters in New York claiming that your mate, The Evil Claw, had raised you all from the dead.

That said, if he's telling the truth getting off world might not be a bad idea. Wonder how much it'd cost to build a small place on Mars. I'll have to talk to Sandy Davis about house prices if she ever turns up again.

Dude, its all in the dosage.

Why don't you get your gene-bending friend to figure out just how much it takes for you to feel mellow?

Not that I condone drug usage, but some folks need a little help to get by day-to-day. I don't hold it against them.

No offence to Momento but I wouldn't trust his drugs as far as I could comfortably spit out a dead rat. I was chatting to one of his group the other day, guy called Finn. Bloody hell, the stories he was telling me about Momento's experiments with Nova-strength painkillers. Eeep.

Hey those painkillers worked.....after a fashion. Helped me out many a time after a point blank quantum blast.

Secondly we did die and the power of The Evil Claw and his minions brought us from the dead, just ask my mate Finn about his new head.

I did not make the monkey! We found it in a secret lab underneath London. But if I could catch the little tyke then I would make a few more for base defense.

As for Utopia, they are worst than most when it come to the use of illegal or black tech stuff. They keep trying to come down on the slightest thing if you aren't a friendly country. Damn double standards if you ask me.

Pushing the boundries of science ....

Oh, yeah. That.

Tell you what, momento. You stay away from populated areas and I will stay away from you. All too often, the capacity to invent outstrips the ability to control that invention. Disaster follows were it may.

Wipe out a small (uninhabited) volcanic island - no biggie. Of course, you and your fellows will be able to make a quick exit. Just think about the other things around you ... occasionally.

A power disrupter?

Now, that is an interesting idea. Area-effecting quantum suppression is an idea I have been looking into for some time. Anything to give my baseline colleagues an edge in dealing with hostile novas.

So, are you saying the English government has your designs and blue-prints? That would be worth making some inquiries.

A double edged sword.

The technologies capable of such a feat are based on theories and components well beyond the boundries of known science and industry. Even when the devices are functional, the knowledge that such a thing is likely to be used against someone only encourages them to act with less restraint while they have the opportunity. I've some experience with such things as Havana sees more than a little nascent technology pass through.

I can say with total confidence that should any Nova actually have the temerity to develop a technology capable of robbing other Novas of their ability to manipulate quantum they will be risking their very lives.

I can also say that if said Nova were actually self-destructive enough to then provide that technology to baselines that I could name a dozen extremely dangerous individuals who would not only have that Nova killed but would wreck havoc to such a degree on that Nova's life that no one who knew themm would remain unbloodied.

These are not areas in which to fool around lightly.

Archived