Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

Matt

I'll give it a 9/10, though of course I'm a bit more forgiving of book to movie translations than a lot of people. I think it captured the moods pretty well for the most part. There was really only one scene they cut that bothered me at the beginning, but it makes sense with how they've done the books thus far (Spoiler follows about which scene).

Click to reveal..
I've always wished they'd done a bit more with the character development of the Dursleys that occured in the later books, but as they haven't done much of it in the last two movies it probably would have felt out of place here.

Other than that, the kids have certainly progressed quite a bit acting-wise, as Rowling's style of writing did over the series, and they've done pretty well with transferring that more mature feel to film.

Visually, the film was beautiful (of course). Only one scene that bothered me a little, but it was a very small complaint and not enough to bother me at all, really.

Click to reveal..
I thought some of the CGI when the Horocrux was tormenting Ron by showing Harry and Hermione together could have been a bit better done. I'll have to see it again to pinpoint exactly what about it bothered me, but it was just a brief annoyance.

I though the first half ended at an appropriate moment, and overall I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to next June now! Also, I'm feeling in the mood to read the books again...

Everyone told me I would love it, and man were they wrong. I thought it was slow as everlovin' Christmas. If they had cut out half of the vistas, and the kids staring at each other, they could have made it in one movie. Unbelievably dull, with action at the beginning and end. Truly disappointed.

Yeah, that's kind of the thing - the book DID have that long stretch of tension in it - she was trying to capture for the reader, I think, what it must have felt like for them as they were searching for weeks and months. It's kind of like "Yeah, you're getting antsy reading it.. imagine how the gang much feel". And to make you understand what effect the object they were carrying was having on them, without smacking you over the head with it. On one hand, it didn't bother me because I recognized that she was trying to make you relate to the characters and what they're experiencing, having no idea where to go or what to do. But at the same time, I know the average reader probably got bored with that section of the book.

As far as the movie goes, however, I have the feeling that if they COULD have fit it all into one movie by cutting down on that stretch, they probably would have.. but I don't think they COULD have, that's the catch. If they had cut out about a half-hour, even forty-five minutes worth of that (either of which I think would be too much, and you wouldn't get any kind of sense of what they had to endure), you would still have too much to make it one movie (unless we're talking longer than LotR here.. probably three and a half hours or more). There's really very little that can be cut out of the latter half of the book (and it's pretty action packed if I recall, so most of those who were bored with the first half will probably enjoy the second half much better). And so I suspect that section of the movie got drawn out a bit in order to be more accurate to what was in the book, and in order to make a long enough movie.

I totally get what you are saying, it was just an obviously different pace than the rest of the books. Not that it was wrong to do it, it was just a little jarring. The other books all kept up what seemed like a pretty good pace of action and events mixed with downtime and angst. Then this one comes along and reverses the balance. wink

I went to go see it Saturday night at an IMAX. I really enjoyed it.

There was a certain section that was a little slower than the rest of the movie, mainly around the dancing scene, but it never felt like it was dragging to me.

It actually made me want to read the entire book (for several reasons, one of which being that I don't want to wait 6 more months to find out what happens next). The Deathly Hallows is the one book that I've read any of (of course it was a part of the epilogue... but still), but seeing Part 1 makes me want to read it in its' entirety.

I've been told I'd enjoy them but I made the choice to wait until I have at least seen all the films. To allow the films to stand on their own and either be good or bad because of their own selves and not in comparison to the films. Hopefully the films will end well enough to make me want to read the books. Or perhaps not. We'll see in another 7 months or so.

• 7 months later...

Most of the reviews I have read have been positive. Many of them glowingly so, a few more measured, but in general all are positive. I suspect strongly that there will likely be a difference of opinion to be had between fans of the films who have not read the books and fans of the series as an entity. Having not read any of the books yet, I think the important thing for me will be a cohesive story that wraps up the bits and pieces in a way that can be followed without external knowledge.

I went to see it tonight and was disappointed. I have never been a big fan of the franchise and this movie didn't up the quality any. If people were crying the obviously brought in something from the book, because there wasn't anything worth crying over in the movie.

The first half of the movie was really bad. I started to nod off a few times I was so bored. But the last half was a lot better.

When we left the theater I asked the people I went with if they would be interested in going back and watching the whole thing now and everyone said no.

Well despite fully intending to wait until next week I ended up at a showing yesterday. Having not read the books I can say that I wasn't confused by anything once I left the theater but I'm not sure that it was great, or even good. For reasons I can't really understand it was shot with a color pallet of grey, gray, and B&W. The movie looked dismal, maybe that was the point, but it kinda wore on the eyes.

Story wise ... meh, I can clearly see where stuff resolved in the film would potentially resonate more when rendered on the page. There were a couple of sequences that were interestingly done but the big showdown, and some of the lesser secondary showdowns, fell a little flat for me, there was a distinct lack of the more whiz-bang spectacular effects from some of the previous entries. Not sure if that is the book's fault or the movie.

I also found that it all played out rather rushed and choppy. I could have sat for another 10 or 20 minutes had it made things feel a little more stitched together. Especially as this was shorter than the last one by 20 minutes (it ran about 2 hr 10 min).

If you've seen the rest you might as well see the last one, but the end of the story was largely by-the-numbers, unfortunately.

Archived