Around the Web on November 18th

RPG Post

Around the Web on November 18th

Normally I'd wait until Friday but there's so much out this week.

Green Lantern

The Green Lantern trailer is up.

It's up on Apple's site too. I like Ryan Reynolds, I'm not sure about the movie. Looks a little cheesy. Maybe I am getting burnt out on superhero flicks.

Cowboys Versus Aliens

Which is not to say comic book movies as there are some promising ones make their way to theaters. Cowboys Versus Aliens has a great teaser trailer up. The cast is great, James Bond and Indiana Jones kicking alien butt.

More announcements after the break

Another comic inspired outing, Afterburn, has Gerard Butler searching for artifacts after solar flares cook half the earth. He teams up with Antoine Fuqua, director of Training Day, to deliver, one hopes, some campy macho goodness. He'd make a good Snake Plissken I think, though I hope that decision is permanently put down.

Where does he get such wonderful toys? Glad you asked. If you haven't been shopping at Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co you should give them a look. They sell gravity by the gallon and invisibility by the half. The maps could come in useful too, if you're ever in Brooklyn or the Negative zone.

Real life superheroes. Every city has them. Mine has, er, Shadow Hare. Two sites, Superheroes Anonymous and Real Life Superheroes are out there to offer a support network for those dipping their toes and the veterans who have been going it alone.

Your Highness

Not a superhero entry but damn funny and has Natalie Portman in a thong, The Red Band NSFW trailer for Your Highness is up. James Franco, Danny McBride, drugs, magic, harsh language and an old joke about a rattlesnake bite all tossed together. I have high hopes. Ha, high.

The Black Swan

Since we're talking about Ms. Portman, check out the creepy Aronofsky helmed film The Black Swan. Some people think of it as the movie where Portman and Mila Kunis have a love scene but I'm sure Aronofsky brings enough terror and disturbing visuals to the table to take one's mind off the brief scene. A scene that will no doubt be online opening night.

Red Riding Hood

Also not a superhero movie but with the dead girl from Veronica Mars, Amanda Seyfried, Red Riding Hood is coming soon. Gary Oldman is in it as well. Has Gary ever made a bad movie? A really, really bad movie? Maybe. But this one could be good.

Crudeness and vulgarity? Oh, no! The movie is ruined!

Seriously though, SG, do you live a monastic life? No sex, no swearing, no drugs... How do you navigate the internet? :P

I will, hopefully, be seeing all of these. None of them look boring, and if some seem cheesy, eh. I'll settle for cheap laughs wink

I think the GL movie looks fine. This is a property which has included a broccoli alien and a sentient mathematical equation, so frankly I'd be more concerned if leotarded aliens with magic wishing rings looked realistic.

Cowboys & Aliens looks like a pitch-perfect high concept. It reminds me a bit of Brisco Country Jr. with its mashup of mythical historical archtypes with the mythical future.

I've been looking forward to Black Swan for a while. It's a testament to Aronofsky's skill as a director that he can make me want to see a movie about ballet. (As I said way back in the Superman thread.)

Archived