Around the Web on Nevember 12th

RPG Post

Video Game Characters of the past Decade

Game Informer had a painting of "Top 30 Characters Who Defined A Decade." See how many you can pick out and post your responses. Click the picture to see it full size.

GameInformer-VideoGameCharacters.jpg

Read more about it at Game Informer.

Fun Movies and a Smokin' Foodie Granddaughter

The man who brought us Conan and Flash has died. Dino De Laurentiis has passed away at the age of 91. From working with Fellini to Bronson and the Governator, De Laurentiis was a huge influence on cinema and pop culture. He even won an Oscar and a life time achievement award from the academy. Not bad for someone who brought us Year of The Dragon and Body of Evidence, two Razzie nominees. His filmography is impressive for just how many of the films everyone recognizes. And because there's a reason, here's the Reservoir Turtles. Nuff Said.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

[end_news_blurb]

Free Speech and Cute Little Preteens, Just Asking For It

Amazon was hit with some bad publicity (or, maybe all publicity is good) for their decision to publish "The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure: A Child-Lover's Code of Conduct" for the Kindle. I hardly know where to start. From an author interview: "Penetration is out. You can't do that with a child, but kissing and fondling I don't think is that big of a problem," he said. Amazon said they would not bow to cries for censorship, but the title seems to be gone now.

Good Day to Kill People

Call of Duty: Black Ops is out. Something like 5.6 million copies sold 1st day. This crushes every entertainment 1st day in history--movie, games, books, whatever. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows sold more units but was less than half the price, on average. I don't know if they're art, but video games sure do make money.

Also in video games, the trailer for L.A. Noire is out and it looks good. 1940s crime solving from Rockstar Games. I'm looking forward to some challenging digging for clues and classic tough guy posturing. Maybe a good looking dame with stunning gams and some messy gunplay too.

Harry Potter

Speaking of opening weekends, I imagine Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will crush all cinematic records on the weekend of the 19th. The book sold more than 8 million copies its first day. The movie is showing regular and IMAX screens, which should bump up the booty. Some spoilerish clips are up at IO9 for those seeking some tantalizing moments before hand.

RPG News

Exalted, The Broken Winged Crane is now available at DriveThruRPG. The description from the site: Bestowed with all the hopes of Hell, the Green Sun Princes are the newly anointed champions of the Yozis. Already the Princes begin to come into their own, demonstrating a wide array of terrible powers, some not glimpsed in Creation since the Primordial War... and some never seen before at all. But with all the might of a stolen Solar Exaltation at their fingertips, what need have the Infernals for the Yozis and their petty desires? Will the Infernal Exalted liberate their masters from Hell, or replace them as a pantheon of new and greater titans?

THIS BOOK INCLUDES:

• Additional Charms from the five original Reclamation conspirators, as well as the corrosive magic of Kimbery, the Sea That Marched Against the Flame.
  • A selection of Infernal hearthstones birthed from the geomancy of Hell.
  • New Heretical Charms with which to slip the leash of the Yozis and enact a personal apotheosis.
  • A black-and-white version for easier printing.

Pathfinder has a new witches supplement: Advanced Options: Witches' Hexes, supplementing the class introduced in Advanced Players Concepts. Why is it witches drawn by comic books artists, anime illustrators and fantasy illustrators tend to be hot, slinkily costumed things like Scarlet Witch, Bayonetta and the young lady on the cover of this supplement? I have known several witches, wiccans, neopagan female spellcasters, and while they were into sky-clad night ceremonies beneath the stars, they did not, as a whole, tend to fit either stereotype of old crone or lusty seductress.

The other day a group of my friends and family members were sitting around trying to remember that show, with the people, the group that helps those in need, with Timothy Hutton. And the violent female acrobat. And the talented hacker. We had no Internet connection at the time so we had to rely on our memories. Lo and behold, there's a game based on the series now available. Today I now know the game is Leverage. It could be fun.

The rich and powerful, they take what they want. You steal it back. You and your Crew used to be the bad guys, but there are worse people out there. The weak and the helpless need you. You provide... leverage.

Based on TNT’s hit show, The LEVERAGE Role Playing Game puts you in the middle of a dysfunctional but highly specialized group of con artists, criminals, and crooks who are trying to turn over a new leaf. You protect the victims of corporations, mobsters, and corrupt politicians by using your expert skills to outwit and overcome the real bad guys.

Using the award-winning Cortex System as its foundation, the LEVERAGE RPG includes all the rules you need to create a high-voltage team of rogues, plan the perfect job, and get it done... even if it means going to Plan B. This game requires a set of gaming dice available from any hobby or game store. Earbuds and rally big HDTVs are cool, but not required.

Archived