Mutants & Masterminds: The Indigo Children - 0 Phase: Danger Room #1

jameson (ST)

Tess chuckled and gave the sprightly young woman a thoughtful look. "Well, we could try a direct connection to the optical sensory area of your brain and see if that works. It'll take some time to track down the technology and learn what's needed to do it safely, but I'll set the time aside if you'd like me to."

"As for sparring space, there's a full gym here along with the tactical obstacle room." She crossed her arms, her eyes crinkling at the edges from her smile, "And if you're really interested in how the system works, I can teach you. Do you have any background in programming or electronics?"

"Not really," Tomoe admitted, though she didn't seem overly concered about her lack of qualifications. "And brain surgery wasn't really what I had in mind either."

"I was thinking more like...a bigger screen, that showed more of the environment, wrapped around my pod. See...the goggles shift their view when you turn your head, but I don't see with my eyes...I take in light from all directions at once. So goggles don't really make a convincing illusion for me, because they're just a tiny piece of what I'm seeing all the time. What I need is a wider view of the environment, all around me...or as close as we can get to that. Then it'll look like how I see things normally."

"Hmmmnnn.....we could probably build a full optical helmet that would go over all of your head except your nose, mouth, and jaw. That would give you a wrap-around input and it wouldn't be hard at all for the program to give a three-sixty view in the helmet." Tess tapped her lip in thought, obviously already planning in her mind.

"It'll probably take a few weeks, but yes, I think we could build something quite suitable." She smiled at the rest of them, "Anyone else have ideas or suggestions to make the program more immersive for them?"

Tomoe shakes her head. "Not a helmet. I don't see with my head either."

She grins and moves a hand around, kind of like a mime. "I see all around me. Even a helmet wouldn't cover more than just around here." She waves her hand around her head. "But I see here, and here...everywhere." Now her hand moved over her chest and stomach and arms and legs. It'd have to be like...a whole suit. Or a ball I'm inside."

With a shrug, Tomoe relents and admits, "Or it could just be more trouble than it's worth. It's not like I can't use it. It just doesn't really seem real to me unless I really really focus my attention all on that tiny thing."

Tess grinned. "Now that sounds...a bit disorienting. I'd love to come up with something for you, though. Maybe it'll even lead to some tech breakthroughs on full immersion VR." She pressed her palms together and touched them to her lips, a mischievous light to her eyes that made her look much closer to her younger years than she usually did. "Besides, what's the point of being wealthy enough to be eccentric if don't do fun things with the money?"

"It's a good system. I kept having to concentrate on not actually EMP-ing the area, though. Separating my mentally-controlled powers from the VR simulated powers is a trick I'm glad I got to practice a little before we ran a fight scene." Rob stated as he came over, fingers lightly probing his ribs where the phantom chunk of metal had hit him. "And yeah, I think fighting lessons all round isn't a bad plan." He looked gravely at Isaac. "All the magnetic control in the world isn't worth a goddamn if the guys coming after me don't have any metal on them. I learned that the hard way. So, if you're in an offering mood I'd like to sign up too, sensei." He grinned then, the shadow of gravitas he'd possessed a second ago ruined by boyish dimples.

"I think I need to practice hitting what I aim at some more. It's all very well romping around throwing planes, bridges and supertankers at people, but a little fine control wouldn't hurt." He looked around the VR suite consideringly. "This seems like one of the better ways of learning that to me."

Jordan pulled off the VR helmet and shook out her hair, then glanced at Tess as she set the helmet down on the reclining couch. "With the way I have to conscious visual my changes, they interface you set up to change the parameters of my avatar's parameters works quite well and similarly to how I really do it." Her eyes cut back to the VR rig, a wry grin on her face. "I just hope I don't inadvertently shift while in the pod, a drastic change might damage the equipment, I think."

Jordan glanced at the windowed observation room, arching an auburn brow at her sister in question. Jaime nodded enthusiastically and gave her sister a thumbs up. Jordan nodded then faced Isaac again, lips curved in wry amusement. It's a good idea, maybe if I'd had known self-defense, I could have avoided getting shot.

"Looks like you're going to have a full class, Isaac. Most of us are women and not so physically imposing as yourself," Jordan commented, with not quite the full truth, considering her stature in the simulation and her prowess the night they had met. "I hope you can teach us how to defend ourselves without relying on pure, brute strength."

Isaac frowned at her. "I'll show you what I know," he said, "and if that doesn't work for you, we'll figure something else out. The most important part of fighting is to never stop trying and to know what you're fighting for. Oh, and never missing the chance to hit someone if he leaves an opening, even that that blow isn't 'fair'." The scorn in his voice made his opinion of fair fighting clear.

"That doesn't sound nice," Jaime said, then flushed as she realized how lame that made her sound.

"If someone's hurting you, I don't care how mean you have to be," Isaac said softly. His normal blank features were hard with emotion as he said, "Your job is to survive, even if you have to kill them."

Archived