Aberrant RPG - Idea for a new power: psychic feedback

iamthedave

I was thinking of coming up with what amounts to 'anti-telepathy', as either an extra to or brand new power related to Psychic Shield. You know how telepaths often get mental blasted - in essence - just by contact with a greater creature's mind? Or even just a very powerful psychic?

Well I was thinking of some sort of mechanical way to simulate that, but I'm not sure about the damage code or how to work it out.

I was thinking of the dice pool being something like 'Psychic Feedback + Int + Mega Int' in a resisted roll against the victim's telepathy, with them taking bashing damage equal to the difference rolled (so sort of a reverse Mental Blast).

That seems to be in keeping as psychic attacks in Aberrant are usually unsoakable using body soak. Unless I'm reading it wrong. Don't see any mention of Mental Blast specifically being unsoakable, but at the same time it does so little damage usually it only makes sense that it must be.

Any suggestions or pointers if someone's done this already much appreciated.

Yeah that's the only thing I have with Immolate, that it does lethal damage and usually quite a lot of it.

Good idea though. I shall tinker with the damage code to get it balanced. Reflexive Immolate would be a level 3 wouldn't it? I really want this power to be a level 2.

Just have it non-Reflexive. Psychic Shield is always on, so the nova who's actually expecting hostile mental contact can throw up the Mental Immolate.

That would make sense, especially since otherwise, a Reflexive Immolate would simply lead to any of said nova's telepathic friends that tried to 'give them a call' being hospitalised. laugh

You wouldn't have a reflexive physical Immolate for the same reason: "I'm just going to go give X a friendly noogie... AAAUGGH it burns!"

Oh, and you could always swap damage codes with the Stun power, which doesn't actually do damage at all.

Archived