EarthDawn: A Brave New World - [ED] Gamrin

Gamrin

Some days, Gamrin actually liked being part of his family.

Today was one of those days. His mother and Lolanna were turning making brunch: elven style rye toast, done by soaking the slices of slightly stale bread in scrambled chicken eggs, flash cooked with magical fire spells. Gamrin recalled the recipe actually called for pheasant eggs, but didn't know where they'd find those in the kaer.

Lolanna was the younger of his two sisters.

"Game of stones, Gamry?" Anaya asked? The sad smile she wore told him that she knew what he was thinking of, but the wry quirk on the end told him she appreciated it just the same. Anaya was the older of his two sisters, and the only sibling not a wizard. Gamrin was sure that was the reason that their father and older brother somehow always had "order business to attend to" when she came visiting. Sometimes, Gamrin wished they'd all just get along. Other times, Gamrin realized that pride was the family's vice, and feared it was bred into the bone.

Gamrin nodded, discarding thoughts of family in preparation for another intellectual battle with his Anaya. She was the strongest player in the family, and Gamrin was only slightly weaker than she at the game. He tuned out the banter of his mother and sister at the hearth, and fortified himself against Anaya's coming barbs. Trash talking was a tradition between the two of them, but if he wanted to win, he had to maintain his focus.

The smell of elven rye was filling the house with its' warm, nutty, yeasty goodness. The small true fire flames in the hearth was just one of the many privileges that the D'Nelin family enjoyed. It offered just the right amount of warmth as Gamrin and Anaya set up their game.

Everything was going smoothly, and it was set to be a perfect 7th day when all of a sudden the front door slammed open with a burst of magical energy. All of a sudden, the hair on the arm of everyone who was in the house stood on end and wind rushed through the house, clearing the board that Gamrin and Anaya had just set up.

Ophoebe took a half step toward the door and put herself between whatever was coming through the door and her youngest daughter, and every eye was on the door when a loud and angry male voice bellowed "GAMRIN!!!"

Through the door burst Renil, eyes blazing, hair and robe whipping around his lithe frame. Ebrean was close behind, looking stern but not angry, and even, though well hidden, slightly confused.

The true fire in the hearth flared as Renil approached, the magical energy crackling around him. He walked right up to Gamrin, picking him up by the front of his tunic. He was completely at his father's mercy. His eyes burned brighter, and the veins in his neck and on his forehead strained, but the only thing that came out of his throat was a strangled growl. He shook his head then turn and tossed his youngest son in the direction of his eldest.

Ebrean caught Gamrin and steadied him. His voice was stern but with just a hint of sympathy buried deep inside it. "Follow us," was all that he said as he turned and headed out the door.

Their father stormed past them both and then stopped and turned towards the kitchen. "In the name of the Passions Ophoebe! How many times have I told you not to waste our grain rations on those accursed non-human foods! Curses woman won't you ever learn!?"

With that he turned and walked on out of the house. As he went, Gamrin could actually feel a tug on the front of his shirt, pulling him forward.

So much for the perfect 7th day...

Gamrin's pulse raced. The last time father had been this upset with Gamrin was after some wizard's social where he'd tried to learn about what went on after court-dancing partners finished with the dancing, and that had been at least four or five years ago.

Gamrin desperately tried to search for some hint of a reason in the stride of his father or his brother. His mind raced as he thought of anything that someone might have accused him of having plausibly done--not that he'd done an accursed thing that would have father this upset. He'd had the most horrible nightmares, and had never again quite gotten around to talking to an elf for more than a minute. The worst of it was that his father had taken credit for those nightmares.

Rallying his pride, Gamrin straightened out to his full height and tried to surreptitiously search for some sign of his "crime" somewhere on the avenue.

Renil led them down streets and cross streets, actually taking them away from the central square, the White Flame headquarters, and every single place that Gamrin had ever seen or heard of his father visiting. But, his face was apparently still known, or it could've been the magic that was still crackling about his father, but everybody cleared the way for the group. Mothers pulled their children close to them, all conversations ceased, and even the strapping young adepts gave the raging wizard a wide berth.

Things still weren't looking good.

Ebrean, who had taken up a flanking position, just beside and behind Gamrin very subtly cast a spell that he had created himself. All Gamrin heard was a faint psst, and he immediately knew it was his brother's whisper spell. It was meant to allow private communication over short to medium distances, very good for talking about people behind their back while still in their presence, or for brothers to hold conversations late into the night after their parents had already told them (multiple times) to go to bed.

Now it was used conspiratorially. Gamrin, what in the dragon's lair did you do? I've never seen him this upset. I'd ask if you were dating an ork or a troll but I don't think even that would throw him this far off the deep end. He stormed out of the Magistrate's office; the Magistrate! They were in a meeting and he almost blew the door off its' hinges getting out of there. What did you do!?

Right after the last statement their father stopped so short that they almost ran into him as he wheeled around and gave Ebrean a look that could melt true earth. He even started weaving a spell that Gamrin actually knew, Mind Daggers, but stopped before it was complete.

Apparently content with just the threat, their father spun back around and started off walking, magically tugging on both of them harder than was necessary, almost hard enough to pull them off balance.

After they had gone a couple of blocks in absolute silence, Ebrean made a slight grunt, letting Gamrin know that the whisper spell was still in place (or that he'd woven another one).

Gamrin's palms were damp. His pulse was racing. His face had gone a ghostly white.

Thoughts spinning, Gamrin tried to work out what could make father this angry. Father was not a warm, caring man by anyone's measure, but Gamrin had also never seen him this angry, let alone at anyone in the family. Even when Anaya had made it clear she would not follow the family Discipline! Certainly, father was never mad at Ebrean. There had been times he'd been disappointed with him as a child, but since he'd grown up, Ebrean was the closest thing Gamrin could think of to a trusted friend of his father's.

"Don't...." Gamrin whispered as he breathed out.

Step.... Step.... Step....

"Know...."

Step.... Step.... Step....

"Why...." "He's...." "Mad...."

Shortly after Gamrin finished breathing his answer to his brother, Renil waved his hand and the door to one of the buildings on the side of the street exploded into a shower of splinters. What caught Gamrin, as people along the street ran away screaming or yelling, was that the explosion didn't make a sound, just a pressure wave.

As Renil pulled Gamrin and Ebrean in through the now empty doorway, he was able to catch a glimpse of the sign hanging above the door, Upandal's Hammer, as well as the scattering patrons, all human male by the look of it.

Ebrean followed them upstairs as Renil picked the last of the rooms down the hallway. Without knocking he just burst into the sparsely, but elegantly furnished room. There was a four poster canopy bed, a couple of chairs, dresser, and even a true water wash basin (they didn't even have one of those at the house).

Ebrean was the last one in and shut the door. The last thing Gamrin heard was a slight whoosh as the door shut because it was that exact moment that Renil spun on his heels and gave Gamrin a full handed, full force smack across the face.

Through the stars and tears in his eyes, Gamrin looked up from the floor at his father who was staring with pure venom down at him.

"Tell me what you've done boy! Bare your soul, anything and everything that you've ever done, no matter how insignificant you think it may or may not be! It is of the utmost importance boy. Tell me and be honest and quick, what have you done that is worthy of banishment!?"

Click to reveal..
Take 1pt of damage, and Gamrin is now butt first on the floor.

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
Shortly after Gamrin finished breathing his answer to his brother, Renil waved his hand and the door to one of the buildings on the side of the street exploded into a shower of splinters. What caught Gamrin, as people along the street ran away screaming or yelling, was that the explosion didn't make a sound, just a pressure wave.

Gamrin couldn't ever remember his father doing anything quite that... blatant. He knew his father was powerful, and he knew his father had a temper, but he also knew his father tended to keep a leash on that temper, and tended to try to keep that power controlled. This.... Gamrin couldn't think straight. This was as terrifying as anything to start one of his nightmares, but it was all too real.

As Renil pulled Gamrin and Ebrean in through the now empty doorway, he was able to catch a glimpse of the sign hanging above the door, Upandal's Hammer, as well as the scattering patrons, all human male by the look of it.

A tavern? His father? Why bring him here?

Ebrean followed them upstairs as Renil picked the last of the rooms down the hallway. Without knocking he just burst into the sparsely, but elegantly furnished room. There was a four poster canopy bed, a couple of chairs, dresser, and even a true water wash basin (they didn't even have one of those at the house).

Ebrean was the last one in and shut the door. The last thing Gamrin heard was a slight whoosh as the door shut because it was that exact moment that Renil spun on his heels and gave Gamrin a full handed, full force smack across the face.

Gamrin yelped in shock and pain, but quickly stifled the cry. He knew it would only antagonize his father.

Through the stars and tears in his eyes, Gamrin looked up from the floor at his father who was staring with pure venom down at him.

"Tell me what you've done boy! Bare your soul, anything and everything that you've ever done, no matter how insignificant you think it may or may not be! It is of the utmost importance boy. Tell me and be honest and quick, what have you done that is worthy of banishment!?"

"B-b-b-banished? B-but I haven't done anything like that!" Gamrin could see his father winding up for another blow, and charged on, driven by panic. "I've read of court dancing when I should've been studying history, and I've snuck into the troll and orc enclaves to see what they were like, but that's it! That's it!"

Ebrean just stood watching by the door, dumbfounded. Renil listened to Gamrin then dropped his head, suddenly looking deflated and very old. The crackle of magic faded and their father sunk down onto the edge of the bed. He put his head in his hands and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly in a long sigh.

Once he finally spoke his voice was tired but otherwise normal. "Ok, the trolls and orks might be something; the court dancing you would've learned later anyway. Tell me more about that, then start from the beginning. Tell me everything you've ever done that wasn't exactly what I told you to do. Don't worry about getting in trouble, I give you a full pardon. I just need to know what Magistrate and Elders are going to use to justify their actions."

With that, he was silent, waiting for the forthcoming story. He listened intently, asking for clarification when necessary.

Ebrean just stood watching by the door, dumbfounded. Renil listened to Gamrin then dropped his head, suddenly looking deflated and very old. The crackle of magic faded and their father sunk down onto the edge of the bed. He put his head in his hands and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly in a long sigh.

Gamrin glanced at his elder brother for a moment, and registered the confusion and fear that mirrored his own. Father's fury before had been frightening, but this implicit revelation of his father's mortality....

Garmin realized that his fear of his father, even his fear of being banished, was nothing compared to his fear of whatever it was that was making his father look so defeated. Still, he remembered the lessons of his teachers, especially those of his brother and his father, and focused on the task at hand.

Once he finally spoke his voice was tired but otherwise normal. "Ok, the trolls and orks might be something; the court dancing you would've learned later anyway. Tell me more about that, then start from the beginning. Tell me everything you've ever done that wasn't exactly what I told you to do. Don't worry about getting in trouble, I give you a full pardon. I just need to know what Magistrate and Elders are going to use to justify their actions."

The little voice in his brain that was looking for more things to worry about kicked into a gibbering paranoia when his father told him not to worry about getting in trouble. His father had always kept his word, no matter how much he'd hated it, and the admission of a full pardon for past transgressions meant this was undoubtedly the biggest danger of his comfortable, sheltered life.

With that, he was silent, waiting for the forthcoming story. He listened intently, asking for clarification when necessary.

"A-a-after my i-initiation, I g-got curious about the other races in the Kaer. You always told me to stick with the humans, and I never knew why. I wanted to learn. So sometimes, when I was sent on errands, I, uhm, I took the long way, sometimes. The really long way, j-just walking through the elvish and dwarfish sections, sometimes."

Gamrin watched his father carefully, out of learned caution more than any expectation he would suddenly revoke his amnesty. He stopped watching his brother now, though. Anything he could learn from his father about what was coming could be a future advantage. It was his duty to his family to find out what the threat was. Surely, if the Kaer could put up with the capriciousness of windlings, the surliness of dwarfs, the burning tempers of orks and the haughtiness of elves, they could put up with the curiousity of one teenage--almost adult human wizard!

"Th-That one time, after my fourteenth birthday, at the Wizard's social, when I snuck off with Aleera, that Elven wizard. That was the only time I ever did anything with a non-human in a place that wasn't public, and we really didn't do anything more than talk. I really never even ki--touched her. I was just trying to figure out how she thinks!"

Gamrin took a quick breath, then charged on, in the hopes that his father would forget that incident. The nightmares his father had given him for that had been so terrible, he'd not been able to look at any non-human again for weeks after without feeling his palms go damp and his stomach wrench itself into knots.

"After the midwinter festival the following year, I started going up to the ork and troll enclaves. Not very often, maybe once every month or two, and always while light was high. I wanted to understand what makes them different, or at least how they're different. Just in case. You know."

"After that, sometimes, on my way to Anaya's place, I'd stop and talk to a of the dwarfish elementalists. Erik Stonebinder or Mumad Steeleye. They were actually curious about me, and I wanted to see how different they were, and if they might bear any malice towards Anaya for being a human and an elementalist. I never let them cast a spell on me knowingly, and I'm sure by then I would've noticed if they'd tried to hide casting one on me. I also never let them see me cast anything."

"I'd also go for walks through the orkish and trollish sections. Some of the orks gave me a hard time, and some of the younger trolls did, too, but they never did anything to me, and I never did anything to them, or even responded to what they said--when I could understand it."

"As for the dancing, well, I got to practice it twice with Anaya before the last wizard's social, and I got to dance with Elamae at the social once, but that was all."

Finished his confession, Gamrin felt his resolve falling apart.

"I can't imagine why anyone would want to banish me! I've never hurt anyone or insulted anyone, or done anything that might say I'm being influenced by a horror or anything!"

Gamrin bit his tongue, and chided himself for losing focus, unconsciously straightening his shoulders and his back, and refocusing on his father as he practiced his breathing excercises for enhancing self-control, and prepared himself to remember his father's responses.

During the tale Ebrean silently found a chair and sat down. Renil listened raptly, never interrupting or even changing his posture. He was still as a statue, except where he needed clarification or motioned for Gamrin to continue.

Once Gamrin finished, Renil let out a deep, frustrated sigh. It was easy to tell that he wasn't angry any more, but it was difficult for Gamrin to put his finger on what his father was, because he'd never seen it before... afraid and helpless.

With a barely audible "Sit, sit" and a wave of his hand, Renil gave Gamrin permission to get up off the floor, as he sedately rummaged through his robes for something. After a little bit of searching, enough time for Gamrin to get into the chair, his father pulled out a small tin Gamrin recognized instantly. His tone was flat as he ordered, "Take off your shirt," and handed Gamrin his personal embroidery kit.

Every so often, everyone in the kaer had to prove themselves free of horror taint. Small groups would be called by random lot and have to preform some form of artistic skill in front of the Magistrate, the Council of Elders, the Wardens, and anyone else who could fit into the town center. Everybody also had to be ready to preform some feat if asked, randomly, by anybody. This last was reserved for those in power, by precedent, but the law actually did state that anybody had the right to call a test.

Of course, to the best of Gamrin's knowledge, no one had ever failed one of these tests, and he had also never heard of anyone actually calling a random test, especially not on their own family member. But there his father sat, having ordered him to take off his shirt, still holding his embroidery kit out for his son to take.

Ebrean, for his part, was just as stumped as Gamrin. The only thing that would make this day any more unprecedented would be if Gamrin actually failed...

...but of course, that was impossible.

...wasn't it?

Click to reveal..
I will actually need a cha+embroidery test. Just put it in a spoiler at the end of your next post.

During the tale Ebrean silently found a chair and sat down. Renil listened raptly, never interrupting or even changing his posture. He was still as a statue, except where he needed clarification or motioned for Gamrin to continue.

When Gamrin finished, he let out a deep, tired sigh. Confessing to his father had been stressful, but liberating.

Once Gamrin finished, Renil let out a deep, frustrated sigh. It was easy to tell that he wasn't angry any more, but it was difficult for Gamrin to put his finger on what his father was, because he'd never seen it before... afraid and helpless.

With a barely audible "Sit, sit" and a wave of his hand, Renil gave Gamrin permission to get up off the floor, as he sedately rummaged through his robes for something. After a little bit of searching, enough time for Gamrin to get into the chair, his father pulled out a small tin Gamrin recognized instantly. His tone was flat as he ordered, "Take off your shirt," and handed Gamrin his personal embroidery kit.

Gamrin sat down on the floor, glad to be able to relax now. Then, as he saw what his father had pulled out, his heart sped up.

Every so often, everyone in the kaer had to prove themselves free of horror taint. Small groups would be called by random lot and have to preform some form of artistic skill in front of the Magistrate, the Council of Elders, the Wardens, and anyone else who could fit into the town center. Everybody also had to be ready to preform some feat if asked, randomly, by anybody. This last was reserved for those in power, by precedent, but the law actually did state that anybody had the right to call a test.

Of course, to the best of Gamrin's knowledge, no one had ever failed one of these tests, and he had also never heard of anyone actually calling a random test, especially not on their own family member. But there his father sat, having ordered him to take off his shirt, still holding his embroidery kit out for his son to take.

Ebrean, for his part, was just as stumped as Gamrin. The only thing that would make this day any more unprecedented would be if Gamrin actually failed...

...but of course, that was impossible.

...wasn't it?

Hands trembling, palms suddenly damp again, reached for the embroidery kit, and began a new rune in the latest blank spot of his robe. He wove away, trying to focus despite his nervousness, embroidering steadily, trying not to rush, but also trying not to be slow.

Click to reveal..
I couldn't figure out how to get a link to the roll. :-(
(10:10:50) (Gamrin): Embroidery test: Cha step 5 + Embroidery rank 2 = Embroidery step 7 = 1d12.
(10:10:54) ChatBot: (Gamrin) rolls 1d12 and gets 7.

Despite his trembling fingers and bundle of nerves, the rune that Gamrin added to his robe looked as good as the rest of them. From the bed, Renil let out a sigh that was mirrored by Ebrean near the door.

Renil motioned towards Ebrean. "Go home. I need to take Gamrin to Groon; maybe he'll be able to figure out some answers that I can't. They should be coming for him any time, and they might even come looking for me. Deal with them however you see fit, just don't send them to Groon's."

Ebrean hesitated for just a moment before he stood up and left, closing the door behind him. Once he was out, Renil motioned towards Gamrin. "Go ahead, pack that back up, put that back on, and we'll head out."

While Gamrin complied, his father went over to an open spot on the floor and bent down, back to Gamrin, scratching something onto the floor.

Gamrin let out a slow, soft breath himself when it was apparent that he had been judged worthy. As far as he knew, no one in the kaer had been found unworthy in such a test since the kaer had been sealed, but that didn't mean there wasn't a first time for everything.

Gamrin took a moment to again refocus. Things were moving far too quickly for him to be able to keep up. He only heard the last of what his father said, and gasped in shock when he heard the nethermancer's name. If there was only one person in the kaer who scared him more than his own father, it was Groon.

His thoughts racing, Gamrin gave no thought to what his father was doing until he had carefully packed up his own things and gotten dressed again.

Gamrin noticed some lights flashing on the floor, coming from the markings that his father had made. Renil nodded, did a quick cleaning spell, and stood.

Looking at Gamrin he quietly said, "Everything's ready, we just need to make our way there.

Since we don't want anyone following us, we'll take the back door. Keep your head down, don't talk, and follow me."

With that, Gamrin's father opened the door and headed down the stairs. They were on their way around the bar when a gaudy looking windling wielding a white dagger stopped them.

"HOLD!" the windling cried, darting in front of Renil and Gamrin and hovering before them. "Explain yourself, First Wizard, slinking from this place of foul murder like some common thief! EXPLAIN YOURSELF!" The windling yelled... about as loud as a windling could yell.

Continued here

Archived