Around the Web on October 22nd

RPG Post

Around the Web

The Wii is now available in bright red. A friend IMed me to ask if that was in celebration of Netflix no longer requiring a disk for streaming, on the Wii and PS3, but Nintendo claims it has something to do with an anniversary of the Super Mario Bros Game. The Dsi XL is also available in the scarlet hue.

See what else is new(s) or amusing.

[end_news_blurb]

Super Lights

Speaking of seeing red, superhero flashlights sold at various dollar stores have been bursting into flames. This is apparently unintentional, as The Human Torch was not among the heroes portrayed on the flashlights. Any of you who stocked up on them to hand out at Halloween should return them and consider something else, like a Wonder Woman Zippo lighter so they at least expect the flames. Ebay also list Batman and Joker lighters if you think kids want a choice.

The Crow

The Crow is being remade. There are rumors, on the front page of CNN no less, that Mark Wahlberg is being offered the starring role. One might wonder why the need for a remake or whatever it will be, but I feel that about pretty much all remakes, reboots and translations of foreign films into pablum for the American audience. But I suppose the percentage that a great reboot will happen is about the same as a great movie being made in the first place. Sturgeon's Revelation (Law) and all.

Alien

Also in the prequel development Hell stage is Alien Something Or Another. Spoilers lie at this link. “Lie” is such a harsh word. Call it more wishful thinking. Anyway the link takes you to a supposed script review, so avoid if you want to be surprised. The movie is not new news but the script leak appears to be.

Scary Forrest

Ravenwood Fair is out on FaceBook. A new game designed by John “I will make you my bitch” Romero, it involves clearing a forest and building a fair. There is apparently no First Person Shooter element, unless hunting demon squirrels is part of the innocently described “clear the scary forest and build a fun fair.” I think it may be implied.

Dungeon and Dragons Essentials Dungeon Master's Kit

In RPG news, The Dungeon and Dragons Essentials Dungeon Master's Kit came out. I am still unclear on why there is an Essentials line, as it seems kind of like a reboot happening in the middle of a series, which will then continue on without reference to the reboot, but that might just be my misunderstanding.

Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Misfit Monsters Redeemed

Paizo's Pathfinder games has a new campaign setting coming out, redeeming misfit monsters. There are monsters I have never heard of, the disenchanters—a race of blue furred camels that, coincidently, disenchant magical gear.

Gaming For A Good Cause

And satisfying the need to help combined with one hell of a deal, drivethrurpg.com is offering more than $700 worth of RPG material for $25. The $25 dollars goes to Pakistan Flood Relief by way of Doctors Without Borders. It is an amazing package that includes more than 70 downloadable items. Exalted 2.0 core rules, Cyperpunk paper minis, Dragon Warriors RPG, Icons RPG and a ton of other stuff. Please consider this deal and help a worthy cause.

Two things I should have included:

The Hobbit is back in action. There is a cast, a director, script, money, more money than I can imagine and some ideas of where to shoot. New Zealand is apparently having some union issues.

And, the greatest fantasy role-playing game ever, Rock Band 3, is due out next week. The keyboard has been added, new pro guitar and pro drum modes, multiple singers harmonizing (a la The Beatles branded version) and a host of changes have been visited upon the franchise. The keyboard is not, unfortunately, retroactively added to the Devo songs in the music catalogue. It does not come with groupies, either, so it is not perfect yet, but I hold out hope for that feature in the next version.

Archived