The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

RPG Post

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

dorknessrising.jpg I was listening to Dangerous Toys' Sportin a Woody when my wife says if you combine that with 300 you could have Spartan a Woody. My wife is a Dork. She didn't used to be one. She claims I made her into a geek. The differences between geek, dork and nerd are one of those academic discussions that could take forever. But my wife is a geek and a dork, upon occasion, but definitely not a nerd. All of which leads in to The Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

If you have not watched The Gamers online at http://deadgentlemen.com/ you are missing a very funny movie. The …not really a sequel...Dorkness Rising, is funny, surprisingly technically adept, with a good story and the story within the story is entirely plausible as an adventure. I cannot stress enough that for a low budget, indie film, the technical effects, the videography, the acting and the writing were all very good. I watch a lot of films, low budget, indie, foreign, experimental and many of them are not this proficiently done.

The humor was enough that my wife, admittedly a gamer, and son, also a gamer, both laughed many times. The ever dying bard is funny even though I knew it was coming. To me, knowing the joke, seeing it ahead of time and still laughing is a true measure of how funny material is. I recommend the movie. I would apply a ton of caveats but the reality is, it's an independent film, it's about gamers, I laughed.

But what of my complaints of how gamers fair in the media? Well, these were like people I know. The interest is geeky but the gamers themselves were people. The stereotypes were there but I didn't feel this was a freak show where we were let in to ogle the performers. I am not sure this film would appeal to a mainstream audience, specifically because it is not a freakshow. It is available from Netflix, though, which has more than 40 pages of positive reviews for the movie, including some from people claiming to be non-gamers.

The story is very simple: some gamers are tackling a difficult adventure. The DM is running it for a third time, for the same players, and they bring in a fourth player and the DM brings in an NPC to help them through the adventure. The movie moves back and forth between the real world and the game world. Humor abounds in both worlds.

[end_news_blurb]

The production company has more material available, which I plan on watching in the near future. And as for Spartan A Woody, I feel like I should write lyrics for it just in case my wife brings it up again. HA, see what I did there? Brings it up, Spartan a Woody? I am sure spears figure prominently in the lyrics.

dorkness.jpg

If you end up buying it at some point, please consider doing so through our link above so that we can get some money for new contests.

I haven't seen it yet but I put it on my to see list after platonicideal mentioned it to me for this blog.

Archived