Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Fiction - Reflections of Home, Pt. 1 [Complete]

Sonja Bahaar

Time: January 21st and 22nd

Their journey south began with promise, the winter sky blue and clear, the white snow bright under the brassy afternoon sunlight. It was still early afternoon, but it was the heart of winter and the days were short. They were on the road only for a few hours before full dark fell over them, broken only by the silvery and golden beams of the headlights. The two of them passed the time distracting themselves talking about inconsequential things, though Daniel was relieved when the conversation moved from clothing to music. The radio played with soft insistence, the music mostly the same.

With their demanding mutant metabolisms, Sonja and Daniel soon found their stomachs grumbling. When next the behemoth vehicle demanded fuel, which it did often enough that Daniel was beginning to have second thoughts about his offer to pay for gas, they stopped off at a truck-stop to fill their own needs. Stepping out of the Hummer, Sonja was acutely aware when every pair of eyes turned her way. She was used to being stared at, but never to this degree. She be lying if she said she hated all the attention but crude comments from the truckers were a bit much.

She ended those by putting her hand-print in the front grill of a Mack truck and shoving the big-rig back five feet with a single push. The trucker stumbled out of the cab, yanking off his cap and staring at the hand-print in awe, then at tall, young woman. He showed her a gaped-toothed grin.

"Holy shit! How much would I need to pay you to get an imprint of those enormous tits, Nova-Barbie?" he crowed, more than half seriously.

Sonja glared then stomped inside the diner, Daniel hiding a smile as he followed her. They managed to nab a corner booth, a waitress appearing as if by magic. "Hi! I'm Becky, what can I get for ya, handsome?" she chirped perkily, making goo-goo eyes at the mutant firestarter. In her early twenties and reasonably pretty, Becky only grudgingly turned to Sonja to take her order, the glint in her green eyes cheerfully wishing the over-sized, overly pretty girl to cheerfully die in a fire.

The portions were big, the menu standard fare but good, and the service quick, at least for Daniel. Daniel payed, but Sonja thought his tip was way higher than the perky pipsqueak deserved. Soon they were back on the road, driving deep into the night.

"Soooo..." Daniel temporized, "do you want to get a motel room for the night or something?"

Sonja gave him a side-long glance and a smirk that clearly said she knew what he was thinking. "No, I'm good, not even a little tired. But if you want, you can crash in the back, the seats tilt down and I picked up a blanket when I was clothes shopping just for this. You can spot me in the morning for an hour or two if you want though."

Telling himself he wasn't disappointed that he wasn't going to share a room with Sonja, Daniel nodded, then climbed into the back, finding the blanket only after getting a handful of dress and underwear. The thick, soft comforted was obviously made for someone who'd have trouble fitting in a normal sized bed. It covered him completely and then some. It took him a while to fall asleep, not used to the hum of wheels running over asphalt.

Driving through the night, Sonja wasn't physically tired but was getting mentally exhausted through sheer boredom. She didn't have Daniel to talk to and she kept the radio barely audible out of politeness and any stretch of highway looked much like another. Inevitably, her mind began to wonder what they were find once they got home, what other changes there would be. What event in the past being changed led to the world being like this?

Daniel woke up several states later to dawn light peeking through the windows and the smell of fresh coffee and donuts. He sat up, the blanket sliding down his shoulders, glancing at Sonja. She wasn't wearing her jacket and he was surprised to see the slump in her shoulders as she nibbled on a bearclaw.

"Sonja...?"

The big blonde gave a surprised start. "Oh, thanks the gods! I didn't reckon on how boring that would be." Sonja pulled over onto the shoulder of the road then replaced Daniel in the back as she shoved him into the front. "Give me an hour or two to get over numb-brain then wake me up after you pull in somewhere for breakfast, 'kay?"

Barely waiting for Daniel's assent, Sonja took off her sweater, reached inside her lavender shirt to remove her bra, then slumped down on her back on the reclined seat with the comforter draped over her. In the rearview mirror, Daniel's gaze kept being drawn to the rise and fall of her mountainous chest, hardly concealed by the thick blanket.

Daniel was in heaven, and hell. On one hand, he was alone with Sonja, her perffect body just a little distance away, he could literally reach out and touch her. however, doing so would likely get him killed.

He thought of Diana, though that didn't really cool him down at all. He sighed. SOmething told him they might not see her for some time.

He drove onward, and smiled as he got back into familiar territory. He stopped on the Northern side of Ponchatrain,and pulled into an IHOP. IT advertized the ability to sate even nova appetites. That sounded good to him.

"Sonja, wake up, it's time for Pancakes, biscuits, bacon, sausage, and eggs, a good solid breakfast."

Sonja woke up with an arm over her eyes, acutely aware Daniel's gaze. It was like she could just feel the stares lately - it was taking a little adjusting to, just like having her head brush the top of doorways unless she ducked. She sat up, blanket sliding off her prominent curves and caught Daniel's glance in the rearview mirror with a small smirk.

"Thanks, Danny, just give me a minute." Her grin grew a tad tighter, purple eyes growing a touch harder with warning. "And keep your eyes forward.

The big teen twisted lithely around, taut, perfect ass in the air as she kept her body low to the reclined seat to prevent any stray peeking from outside the high-sitting Hummer. Her hands reached up the back of her shirt, refastening her bra, then gave an experimental jiggle and adjusted a strap to settle everything into place. Glancing out the window and looking at the snow-free ground, she changed her boots for a pair of stylish running shoes a full size larger than she used to wear.

"There, you can look now," Sonja offered, almost feeling Daniel's tension ease as he no longer had to be concerned about a wondering eye... Well, no as much. "Let's go."

The two teen mutants drew more than their fair share of stares in the steady traffic of the parking lot, but no one actually approached them, gushing about them being 'Novas'. Sonja was privately grateful - she was still growing accustomed to not being hated for a quirk of birth.

Breakfast was a delight, the Super-Nova Breakfast Platter sating their needs as advertised. It was pleasant not having to order two or three breakfasts and seeing the Die-you-thin-waisted-bitch-die look in the waitress' eyes. Which was not to say envious looks weren't turned her way anyway, but it at least she didn't feel like she was rubbing their faces in it.

Still, her ears - keener than ever - couldn't help but hear the two guys, a little older than her, in the booth behind her.

"I'm telling you, it's her!"

"No way, dude, It's not."

"Tall, stacked enough for the entire cheerleading team, and so hot, Ihop should be on fire. Plus, ya hear her order, she even has that Swedish accent. It is her, she's Ragnarockette!"

"It's Icelandic, not Swedish, and no, the nova-babe isn't Ragnarockette. Gvuthbjorg Danielsdottir isn't that tall, that stacked, or that hot, whatever you say. Also, if you'd been able to tear your eyes off her tits, you'd have noticed she's younger than we are, seventeen tops. Anyway, Ragnarockette is queer, she'd only maybe like you after she tore your balls off. Dude, give it up, you don't have a chance."

"She's sitting with a guy. They seem friendly enough."

"So is Andy Vance. He's probably gay too, since he's sitting with her and isn't trying to hump her leg."

"I still think it's her."

"I can hear you, you know?" Sonja growled, standing up and glaring down at the two guys over the back of the booth.

One of them could only stare up at her in wide-eyed shock, but the other, after giving a start in surprise, offered her a smooth, but apologetic smile.

"Sorry, miss, please excuse my silent friend here. He has it bad for for Team Tomorrow and Ragnarockette in particular. As anyone can plainly see, you're younger and already twice the woman she is. I'm Derrick, pleased to meet'cha." He offered her a hand, which she shook, nonplussed, then he reached into a pocket and pulled out a sharpie. "Would you mind signing an autograph? I'm sure it'll be worth a chunk once you make your mark."

"Uh... sure?" This was weird, it was like just 'cause she had supoerpowers, everyone automatically assumed she could have anything at a drop of a hat. She signed a napkin, 'Sonja Bahaar, saying 'HI' to Derrick, 01/21/10,' than handed it and the sharpie back. "Can you just keep it a bit down."

"Of course. Sorry about that."

Sonja settled back in her seat with a hmph, purple eyes narrowing as she noted the way Daniel's lips writhed. "Not... one... word," she warned before taking a bite of pancake.

"Not by me," Daniel barely managed to choke out without laughing.

"OhmyGod! OhmyGod!"

"That's how you talk to a girl, Paul. It works better when you're not drooling."

"She was leaning over the back and I saw right down the from of her shirt," Paul whispered.

"Dude, calm down! You're embarrassing me. Come on, get up, we're paying and leaving before you make a bigger fool of yourself and get some of it on me."

"Uh, can you spot me this once?"

"Why?"

"I kinda made a mes- I can't get up right now."

"Dude!"

The fork in Sonja's hand crumpled like a piece of play-doh. "That's it! We're leaving."

Sonja tossed several bills on the table - enough to pay for their meal almost twice over - then hauled Daniel out of the booth regardless if he was ready or not. As soon as they were out of the door, she released his hand and stalked towards her vehicle, faint blooms of red high on her sculpted cheeks.

When Daniel reached her, Sonja tossed him the keys. "Here, you know the area, better than me anyway, you drive." She climbed into the passenger seat, sliding it back to make room for her lengthy legs. "Y'know, I've been to all sorts of places with my folks, but never been to New Orleans. I begged off the one time 'Neca dragged mom and dad there for the Day of the Dead."

As the pair were just about to get into the Hummer the more eloquent of the two guys rushed up to the vehicle, but came to an abrupt halt just out of arms reach seeing the thunderous look on Sonja's face. He held his hands up in the universal sign for peace. "Look, I just wanted to apologize for my friend. He's really younger than he looks and he doesn't get out much. Seeing an honest to goodness nova like you in person was just a bit much for a bayou boy." He dug three twenties out of the front pocket of his red and black flannel shirt and held them out.

"Please take it. I know we spoiled your meal and I feel really bad about it." He gestured with the bills for Sonja to take them, "Please. It's the least we can do."

It was obvious the man was making a serious effort to maintain perfect eye contact with the tall blond.

Sonja looked down at the guy, most of her irritation fading. She should have been used to the attention, she had, even liked it sometimes, but ever since they stepped through the Warp and the World went crazy, the looks felt more... cloying, intrusive. That Derrick was making a sincere effort, even if the effort was making beads of sweat pop out on his forehead, meant a lot her.

"Thanks," Sonja said, flashing him a quick smile that revealed a hint of perfect, pearly teeth. She reached out a hand and closed his fingers around the bills. "But I don't need your money, the apology was more than appreciated." She snorted, the curve of her lips self-deprecating. "I'm still, hmm, getting used to this whole, um, Nova business." She was surprised, that had come out a lot more truthful than she had expected.

"Oh! Well, then I gotta say, you seem to be handling it pretty well. It must've been a big change." She was probably a dumpy four-foot-ten before, now she's a giant-sized superbabe.

"You could say that..." Sonja said, lips twisting into a wry smirk.

"Well... cool. And again, sorry for my friend, he's really not a bad sort." Derrick mumbled to himself, then flashed Sonja an insouciant grin. "Look, I'd hate myself forever if I passed up the chance... D'you think I could call you sometime?"

Sonja almost laughed, her purple eyes sparkling like amethysts. She had to give him props for making the attempt. "Tell you what, if you can manage to track down my number, I promise not hang up on you. Fair enough?"

"Deal!"

Sonja watched him strut through to the parking lot to where his friend was peering at the over the roof of a Honda Civic, and shook her head before climbing into the Hummer and looking over at Daniel. "Let's roll."

Daniel laughed hysterically inwardly, the whole scene was unheard of. Boys if you'd only seen what I've seen, you'd probably have a heart attack or two.

He heard everything and managed to get one last forkful before being manhandled by Sonja. At least one comment of "So that's how she plays with her boytoy" graced his ears, and he chuckled, there was no real resisting the blonde amazon, not that he wanted too. For now, she was all he really had.

When one of the guys followed and actually asked for her number, He smiled at her answer. In the Hummer he chuckled. "You just made his week Sonja. I guarantee he'll spend at least the next 24 hours looking up you bio."

He head out of the lot and back onto the highway,driving south across the lake and near downtown New Orleans. "We can stop, and do a little sight-seeing if you like Sonja. We aren't exactly on a timetable or anything."

He nodded to the city. "Even though it may not be mine, New Orleans is still always New Orleans."

He scanned the signs looking for something particular.

Sonja stretched in her seat and glanced over at Daniel with a smirking grin as he pulled out of the lot. "He's free to try. I don't have a Twitter or Facebook account." She rolled down the window and gave Derrick's Civic a wave as they passed it.

Leaning on a toned arm, the big beauty stared out the window at they drove down the highway across the lake and into the heart of the Big Easy, loose tresses from her silvery-white braid flapping around her stunning face. Her smile turned wistful, purple eyes soft with understanding. She understood the reluctance of actually going home - it meant whatever they found would be real.

"I'd like that, Daniel. You pick what we should go see." Sonja straightened up in her seat, looking at the old city with renewed interest. "You know, the city looks really good five years after Katrina."

He looked around, remembering his last visit, and cringing. "Katrina never hit this city."

He sighed. "That building, it was still showing damage, and here it never was." He pointed to another. "That one, It's not there and there's no way the built it the two months since my last visit."

He drove downtown, along the boardwalk and found a place to park. It wasn't cheap, that hadn't changed. He smiled to her. "We'll walk from here, it gets more expensive towards the waterfront." They were about nine blocks from bourbon street, and about 10 from the Aquarium, deep in the heart of the city.

A nod and a twenty in tips to the man in the booth assured their Hummer would be there when they returned.

He nodded to her and lead her down the street, drawing the gze of most of the women, while Sonja drew the looks of all the men but Daniel. "Most of these buildings are at least a hundred years old, many are two or three hundred."

He smiled to her. "We can go to Bourbon street, or the Aquarium or Zoo, or the D-day museum... We're gonna draw looks either way."

Sonja could feel the men staring at her ass, her legs, and of course, her chest, with a rare glance straying up to her face. Telling herself she'd get used to it - it was something she had dealt with before, just... more - Sonja strode along at Daniel's side, still getting used to her new height. She'd seen this vantage before, not often, and always on heels. It was... odd, realizing this was the view she'd always have for now on and heels would reduce everyone to boob height and lower.

And I used to like wearing heels, she thought morosely. At least with the laissez-faire attitude of the Big Easy, it went no further than looks and the occasional whistle and cat-call.

As for where to go next... The D-day Museum sounded too much like school and History had never been her favourite subject and she had heard enough about Bourbon Street - she was getting enough attention already. She felt like an exhibit in a zoo... Maybe there people will be paying attention enough to the animals to give me a little peace. Besides, she liked animals.

"How about the Zoo?" the tall blonde suggested. Sonja's lips pressed into a firm line. "And this isn't a date, so don't you go be claiming any such thing, Daniel."

He nodded. "It's only a date if someone asks, unless you want a veritable throng of people around you trying to get your name and number." He was teasing clearly. "I swear if one of these idiots assumes I'm gay because my eyes aren't glued to your assets I'm gonna light them up."

He nodded. "Some men do have self control."

He led her through the streets drawing attention, and many looks as they walked to the zoo. It was different than his, they didn't have to pay. The thirty or forty people behind them did.

He led her off to his favorite part, the big cats, and smiled as most of them were easy to see, The big tigers actually drinking from the small lake in their enclosure.

"Ever wonder what they'd do if they weren't in these concrete walls?"

• 2 weeks later...

Sonja lounged against the railing of tiger enclosure, the simple movement showcasing a grace and power that dwarfed that of the great cats, her silvery-white mane glimmering under the noonday sun. She smiled wistfully at orange, black, and white predators. I'm like them... Always stared at and fast and strong enough to tear the onlookers to pieces... I've never felt so acutely different before...

Sonja tossed her head, glistening hair rippling down her back, her sad smile sliding into a slightly bitter smirk as she glanced at her companion. "They'd probably love being able to run around at will, Daniel... until they starved to death since they've forgotten how to hunt - unless, of course, they got flattened by a Mack truck on the highway first."

The great cats were a popular exhibit, but it seemed they were drawing most of the attention now. That is the wild Sonja. It stands over six and half feet tall and weighs more than two hundred pounds. Its hands can crush a pervert with over fifty-thousand PSI... She turned back to Daniel, shrugging and nodded her head to further on in the zoo. "I guess we should go... Putting off going home is just making it worst. It is for me, anyway."

He shook his head. "I don't think they ever forget how to hunt, such a thing's ingrained into them. As is survival, I'd give them good odds. There's plenty of gator, nutria, and other prey for them in the marshlands near here."

He noticed her look and nodded. "Sorry. I'm just used to everyone looking at you as some sort of Goddess." He smiled. "Though none of them realize you could probably break them in half without any effort."

He offered her a sincere smile. He led her deeper in, to the large animal paddocks. There Were Asian, Indian, and African Elephants, Hippos, and even a quartet of Rhinos there, all in independent enclosures. "The only one of these guys that doesn't seem out of place here has to be the hippos. They're like giant one ton mammalian Alligators."

"Goddess," Sonja snorted while gazing at some of the largest land animals in the world. "Most people only see a living, breathing Barbie Doll who they think has an IQ smaller than her bustline." She sighed, elbows propped on the railing, her chin cradled in her hands as she watched the lazy hippos.

"You know, they do seem sorta like crocs, fat, round ones, so ugly they're almost cute with those twitching, little ears. I've heard they're mean bastards-Hey!" the amazonian teen exclaimed, standing to her full height and pointing. "What's she doing in there?"

What Sonja was pointing at was a slim woman with dark, spiky hair who had seemingly rising from the dirt. At least... she thought it was a woman. Her modesty, such as it was, was covered by sable fur that covered her forearms and calves as well as a portion of her torso equal to what a racy one-piece swimsuit would cover. Her ears rose to tufted points like a lynx, her fingers ended in sharp talons, and she had a tail covered in black fur swaying behind.

And she was approaching the ton and more animals with not the slightest trace of fear. Indeed, the rhinos and elephants and hippos turned to face the woman as if in homage.

"My subjugated brethren!" she cried loudly, her voice carrying an accent native to the city. "The filthy zips have not heeded Nature's warning, and still, they have the audacity to cage you against your will, so to suffer the full brunt of Nature's wrath when she comes to finish this foul den of humanity once and for. So..."

The woman's voice deepened into a rumble as she turned away from the animals to face one side of the enclosure. ".... Now, they will face mine and yours. Come, pay heed, and follow!"

And with that, the woman convulsed, body swelling in contracted bursts, even as it contorted into a new form. In mere seconds, where the woman had been, there now stood a ferocious, primal rhinoceros as big, if not bigger, than the elephants, shaggy with thick hide a sinful black and a long, sharp horn of gleaming ivory.

She charge the enclosure wall opposite the two surprised teens like a runaway locomotive and crashed through it like the same. And if they really did here her call, the elephants and rhinos and hippos charged after her in a stampede, like a tidal wave of tons of wrinkly hide-covered flesh.

From where they stood, Sonja and Daniel could hear the screams rising over the zoo, where before there had laughter and cheer.

"Shit."

Daniel was less circumspect. "Aww Fuck....." He looked to Sonja, "We gotta stop this. This close to downtown, they'll hurt no telling how many people."

He sighed. "So much for a quiet return home. Sonja, think you can occupy the one that used to be a woman while I try to herd those beasts back into their pads?"

Sonja stared at the huge, night-skinned rhinoceros, her gold-flecked purple eyes wide, her hands balling into fists. She was just about the fastest runner at LHA, one of the strongest girls there too, and she was feeling even stronger since her growth spurt, but she wasn't that much tougher than a normal human, and that bone-white horn looked wicked sharp and the rhino was fucking huge. She flinched as the screams of panic rose. Then I'll just have to make sure she doesn't hit me, then.

The statuesque near-giant took a deep breath then looked down at Daniel and gave him a sharp nod. "I'll take care of her, one way or another."

Daniel heard the pavement crack as Sonja planted her feet, then in a streaking blur he could barely see, that left the air surprisingly undisturbed, she was gone. The firestarter let out a long breath. Everyone focused so much on her height and voluptuous beauty, and she was pretty obvious about her strength, that it was surprisingly easy to overlook the fact that Sonja could outrun jet fighters. Still, he didn't remember her moving that fast, nor the wake of her passing being to... mild. Something moving that fast should have broken the sound barrier several times over, yet she might as well have walked away for all the effect he noticed.

He wasn't the only one surprised by her speed as Sonja darted pass screaming patrons running every which way as if they were nearly motionless, then completely overshot the Rhino-Bitcheros, which was crashing through anything and anyone with contemptuous ease. Sonja's skidding stop to change direction tore deep furrows in the concrete, then she charged again as she saw Rhino-Bitcheros going for the Great Cats enclosure.

Running at this speed into something that big and solid would break bones, so instead, Sonja went for a passing attack. She brought a leg up and around in a perfect crescent kick, using all her momentum and incredible strength, striking the beast's great head a blow that sounded like thunder.

Maybe it was the exhilaration, maybe it was the new vitality surging through her, but Sonja fully expected the enormous, faux-rhino to be knocked clear off its feet. Instead, though her foot a sharp dent in its tremendously thick skull, all she managed to do was make the ten tonne creature stagger. It swung its massive head with its deadly horn in the direction the painful had come, but Sonja was already passed it and coming around for another attack.

Her fists and feet rained down on the rhino like a hyper-velocity tempest, and though each blow left its mark, its black hide was thick and hard, its great size lent it a terrible fortitude, and its wounds began to close with visible speed. Slow and ponderous as it was, its small, obsidian eyes framed in protective bone, Rhino-Bitcheros couldn't keep track of it lightning quick assailant, let alone mount a counterattack. Still, the resolute behemoth kept moving forward - though Sonja was at least able to nudge its course away from the fleeing patrons - swinging its head in random acts in an attempt to gore this nagging, and increasingly worrisome, opponent.

After that initial, heady rush, Sonja felt a trace of apprehension niggling at her spine. She was beating the shit out of the bitch with near impunity, hitting harder and faster than she ever had before, and still, it was moving. She wouldn't survive a single hit from this monster, not at these speeds, and it was only a matter of time before the something, something small, happened and the tides of fortune turned on her...

... Like now. She saw it happen in seeming slow motion: Rhino-Bitcheros was dragging a hind leg and she was dashing in give her a kick to the face to match the first when the head inevitably turned, swinging towards her. It came down low, the gleaming, deadly horn aimed directly at her. She was moving too fast, committed to the attack - there was no way she could avoid it. As fast as she was moving, her life flashed before her eyes even faster, leaving with a regret that she wouldn't see her family again, her sister, to tell Oneca she really did love, that Saja's passing had struck her just as deep...

... The tip of the horn glanced off her sternum and ripped up at an angle, piercing the tender underside of her left breast. Sonja could feel it penetrating deeper and deeper in minute increments, knowing that before she knew it, it would bite too deep and tear through her heart...

... Suddenly, it the deadly horn stopped, lodged halfway through her boob. Though she was ecstatic that it hadn't cut clean through her, that wasn't the end of her ordeal as the Rhino-Bitcheros tossed her head, flicking her off her horn and sending her sailing through the air for dozens of yards.

Sonja landed in a tumbling heap, rolling until she fetched up against a granite plinth holding a statue of something she didn't have the wherewithal to focus on - She was sill alive! Even the landing, rough as it looked, hadn't hurt in the least. She flowed to her feet with inhuman grace, feeling the warmth of blood trailing down her torso, a hand finding the hole in her breast already beginning to knit.

Her purple eyes blazed with a rekindled fury as imminent death faded away. Her grin was heart-wrenching and vicious. "Oh! It. Is. On! Bitch!"

The Amazonian teen dream rush the ginormous beast once more. Perhaps using a predators cunning, Rhino-Bitcheros tried to time its goring attack again, but this time, Sonja trying to avoid that ivory spear. This time, she reached for it, gripping it with hands capable of crushing steel like play-doh, powerful shoulders turning, her feet sliding on the ground, as she twisted, more and more, the mutant rhino-woman's head following suit... until it couldn't, the hulk bulk losing its footing, its momentum carrying it over the tall beauty's head and hitting the ground like a meteor.

Laying on its back, its soft(er) underbelly exposed, Sonja wasted no time in taking advantage, landing quick, measured, blows like an industrial jack-hammer, only stronger. "Give up! Give up! These people don't deserve this, you rhino-bitch eco-freak!" Sonja furiously yelled.

"But they do, they do," a deep, rumbling, yet still disturbingly feminine voice gasped, "And I'm not done yet, you misguided fool."

The dark hide of the oversized rhinoceros rippled, then contorted, transforming into vivid scales of yellow, red, and gleaming black. In more than a second, the oversized rhinoceros metamorphosed into an even more oversized python, wrapping the buxom teen in its unnaturally powerful, constricting coils.

"I. Really. Hate. You!" Sonja growled, using her own inhuman strength to twist and pry at her scaly opponent.

Daniel had his own issues sparing a moment to wish her well, before turning to the stampede. One thing he did know about animals is that Fire scared the hell out of them. It might be a stretch, but he could keep them corraled with it, though it would be different than any other time he'd done it.

At his fingertips ten small flames came into being as he ignited some of the oxygen near him. His first task was to blockade the Animals in one area, and to that end, walls of roiling flame separated the panicked pachyderms and raging Rhinos from everything else, surrounding them in one great circle.

This caused some minor panic among the people remaining, but with ease he reworked the fire to exclude them, and slowly opened the other side leading back to the paddocks. To spur the animals he caused the fire everywhere else to surege, intensifying in heat and brightness. Several benches caught fire, as did the grass. As he was able he extinguished them.

"Once I get them back in I'll..." He faltered. He didn't really have anything for that. He could corral them, but he couldn't rebuild the paddocks. He looked at one of the few bystanders watching in awe as he witnessed the young Fire manipulating mutant do his best. "Hey, Go get some zoo personnel with tranq rifles. I can't hold this forever. they're gonna have to be able to put these guys out."

The man looked at him in shock and awe and didn't move.

"HEY, GET MOVING DAMMIT! The more I do this, the more risk I put the animals at, and everyone around."

Finally the man nodded and pulled a phone out.

Momentarily caught up, he looked to Sonja, noticing the blood on her clothes. He wanted nothing more than to go help her, but if the panicked and spooked behemoths got loose again, there was no telling how much damage they'd do.

He did smile. At least between the rampaging animals and his Fire Corral, the remaining people were all either watching from further back, or in his opinion,the sane ones were all long gone.

The mighty python flexed, tightening its coils, seeking to crush its opponent. Yet, no matter how it exerted itself, it couldn't feel the disgustingly curvaceous girl's bones give in the slightest. Worst, through adept wriggling and a strength she hadn't expected from someone built like a Barbie Doll, regardless of how tall she was, Sonja had managed to get her arms free.

Sonja was surprised she could breath. She could feel the scales sliding across her skin, constricting against her prominent chest, but it didn't particularly hurt, though her breaths came in pants and the entrapping coils impeded her. Hands closing into a pair of large fists, full lips peeled back in a fierce snarl, Sonja's sleekly muscled arms moved like impossibly smooth, hyper-velocity pistons as she landed a flurry of blows to the gargantuan serpent's head.

The quantum-powered eco-terrorist tried to avoid the blows, but she could baring see the blurring fists, each strike to her head scattering her thoughts. So hard from someone who looked so soft. Before her reptilian brain could consider the possibility of retreat, a final, solid blow shattered a fang and made its vision flare white before being buried under the darkness of unconsciousness.

The ginormous python melted away into the bloody, bruised, broken-jawed form of the woman Sonja had seen approaching the elephants and rhinoceroses. Sonja took several deep breaths, stretching tall and checking the wound in her chest. The bleeding had stopped, the skin puckered scar tissue that was beginning to soften into silky flesh.

Sonja glared down at the woman at her feet, then plucked her up like a ragdoll, not satisfied with her unconscious state. Ripping a wrought iron bench from the ground, the Icelandic Amazon tore it apart, wrapping the metal bars around her wrists, ankles and neck.

As secure as she could make her, Sonja turned to look for Daniel. She had felt the heat of his flames washing over her, but had been to distracted at the time to see what he was up to.

She saw his predicament - he had the behemoths corralled, but only as long as he could keep the fire burning. "Daniel! Keep an eye on her!" Sonja yelled, pointing at the woman she tossed on the ground near him. "I'll try jury-rig a fix for the enclosure."

Sonja began gathering up the broken chunks of cement, mounding them up in the shattered section of the enclosure, but it wasn't. With every step, Sonja moved faster and faster, until she was a barely visible blur, long, silvery-white hair streaming straight out behind her. Using her phenomenal strength once more, Sonja blocked off the enclosure with the several-tonne boulders decorating the big animals' terrain.

"There! That should do it..." Sonja claimed, trailing off as she looked at her work, then stared at her hands. She wasn't even winded. And her ad-hoc repairs had taken mere seconds. It wasn't pretty, but the elephants and rhinos and hippos weren't going to be bothered to challenge it.

Daniel couldn't follow Sonja's movements, though the results were impressive. Once she'd finshed he extinguished the flames. Emergency response personnel and A number of police had arrived on scene, and he looked down at the battered and unconscious nova Sonja'd fought.

"Unless you want to stand around and answer a ton of questions, Sonja we should go, now."

He remembered how things were at home, and shook his head. chances were it wouldn't be like that here, but the last thing he wanted was to take a chance and be wrong.

As he looked at her, he actually noticed something important. "Umm Sonja, we really need to go." He tried not to smile too big. "It's kinda breezy around here isn't it?" He laid his arm across his chest about where most of her shirt had been torn away, including her bra. If she jumped just then he was pretty sure all the old men around would have a heart attack.

He smiled, hoping he didn't have to be more blatant than that, and that she didn't kill him for looking.

Sonja stared at Daniel, then looked down, but she couldn't see the bottom of her shirt pass the jutting prominence of her bust. Imitating Daniel, she crossed an arm across her chest and could feel the bare undersides of her breasts. Fucking bitch! I thought she just put a hole in my shirt?! Instead, she took the bottom half of it, and my bra too!

"Why does every, single fight murder my clothes?" Sonja complained, scowling as she noticed the grin Daniel was trying to hide. "Don't answer that."

Hearing people approach, Sonja twisted around to see two police officers beginning to head their way, who paused, red-face when they caught a view of the towering blonde's dramatic profile. Sonja's annoyed sigh taxed the remnants of her tattered shirt and had the police officers considering calling the EMTs. Whether to check out their heart palpitations or check out the Nova babe was still up for debate.

"Right. That's it! We're going," Sonja growled, turning back to Daniel, sweeping him up in his arms and dashing back to the parking lot. Her long legs propelled them nearly too fast for the eyes to follow, leaping dozens of meters through the air as she avoided obstacles in her straight line path back to her Hummer.

Before Daniel could form a protest, he found himself unceremoniously dumped behind the wheel of Sonja's massive SUV. "Drive," she ordered as she climbed into the back to change. Looking in the rear-view mirror, Daniel only managed to catch a glimpse of an undecipherable blur before Sonja settled down in the front seat.

She had completely changed her garments, now wearing a close-fitting pair of black slacks and a button-down, blue Oxford shirt. Daniel's amazonian school-mate gave him a flat look, a brow arched as she finished redoing her long, intricate braid. "No, I have no idea how I'm moving so fast, but it's handy. You can drive anytime, you know."

Daniel glanced over into the back seat, seeing Sonja's neatly folding, shimmering jeans and the balled-up, bloody remains of her lavender shirt, then gave Sonja a nod. There really wasn't much to say. "You got it."

"..."

"You really have nothing to be ashamed of, Sonja."

"Oh, shut up."

Daniel was still recovering from being pressed against Sonja's nearly nude chest forcefully. "Yes "ma'am." He teased her, trying to keep his eyes on the road.

The trip east was fairly calm, nobody really notcied them, and without much fanfare, Daniel came to a stop outside the house he'd lived in as child. "This is it."

It was a large home, two stories, with a big lawn and a boathouse on the water. "Let's go."

He parked the big hummer and climbed out, waiting for sonja before reaching for the doorbell.

Quintus allard answered the door, and got quite a shock. "Daniel?"

Going with it, he nodded. "Hey dad, thought I'd come home."

Quintus just looked at him. "I held your hand as you died..."

Daniel cringed, this might not have been the best idea.

His adoptive father looked to Sonja and his jaw dropped. "A nova, you're here, with a beautiful nova.. Did I die?"

daniel shook his head. "No dad, Sonja and I are quite real, quite alive, and so are you. I can explain, if it's alright to come inside."

"yes, yes of course."

He nodded, allowing them to enter. "I'll go get your mother..."

"That may be best, I don't want her freaking out completely."

Daniel smiled as he left and turned to Sonja. "well they're still my parents, that's good, but evidently I'm dead..."

The thirteen year old boy who had been brooding and surly because his parents forced him to go to the zoo with his younger brother and sister had stood through the entire fight not moving but just staring at the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen in his life. When the big blond beauty had left he could only reverently whisper the words that expressed his awe, "nova cat fight...."

His younger brother, not yet burdened by the curse of puberty swung the phone away from the departing amazon and her firey companion to focus on the thirteen year old's slack jawed expression for a moment before turning off the built in camera.

The sister sniffed in disgust at both of them then whispered to her twin, "You'd better hid the phone, if he realizes you took that video you'll never see it again. Besides, the bad woman is going to get away if the police don't get here soon. We should leave now before she turned into a snake again."

Her twin nodded distractedly and whispered back, "Maybe if I hide the phone and tell him about it I can get him to pay me for the video, bet I can get his allowance for the next year for that."

The girl didn't say anything but grabbed both boys and started dragging them towards the exit. She wasn't going to say it, but she bet selling the video to someone other than their disgusting older brother would probably be worth a lot more. She made a mental note to try and delete it later. The big pretty woman didn't deserve to have her boobie exposed like that for everyone to see.

Sonja ducked through the doorway as she followed Daniel into this version of his childhood home, giving him a commiserating smile as she looked around the interior. Her captivating, gold-flecked, purple eyes were resigned, unable to hold on to a tenuous hope.

"I guess that's that, then, Daniel," Sonja said with a sigh. "This isn't our world just... just changed. It's a different one. I had hoped..." Sonja trailed off, biting down on a lip and turning to look out a window so Daniel couldn't see her expression. Outside, the water was burnished gold under the bright sun. It must've been nice, growing up next to the water.

"The you from here being dead, it might be easier for you and your - his - parents," Sonja suggested softly. "What would they do if the other you was still alive? What would he do?" Sonja paused, audibly swallowed. "I think... I think I'm scared of what I'm going to find if I go home..."

Sonja was silent for a long moment, continuing to stare out the window through lowered lashes, then reached out a long arm and pulled Daniel into a tight hug. It was the first time he had ever been pressed against the tall girl's body by her own volition and he found it an incredible blend of powerful firmness and enticing softness.

"Thank-you," she whispered, her cheek pressed against the top of his head. "I couldn't have borne it, being here alone."

Despite his meager resistance, Daniel felt himself stirring and knew it was only a moment before Sonja noticed it too, when he felt her tense. Before he could blink, he was alone, Sonja settling down into a chair and crossing those endlessly long legs as his 'parents' entered the den.

He nodded and mouthed "Sorry." before turning to face his parents.

His Mother was the same as he remembered, the same height as his dad, but lithe and slim. She'd been a dancer when she was young, and he imagined it was the same here. "Daniel? How..."

She reached up to hold his cheek in her hand to feel him, not trusting her eyes, or the low heat emanating from him.

He nodded. "Hi Ma." She pulled him to her. "You died Daniel, I was there.. How, how can this be?"

"I'll tell you what I can, but you and Dad should sit down."

He barely understood the situation, but it was certain now, and he knew that they couldn't keep moving around forever.

His eyes pleaded with his mother, and reluctantly, as if she were affraid he'd vanish, she released him and sat down next to her husband.

"Your son Daniel is gone." He shook his head. "I look like him, talk like him, and wager that he and I had the same abilities, if he had them."

His Father nodded. "My name is Daniel Oliver Allard, and Sonja and I here are from another world, another version of earth." They both just looked at him.

He nodded. "We were returning home from an attack of mutant hunting robots called dreadnaughts, and some how our friend's portal got screwed up, and deposited us here instead."

He looked at Sonja and continued. "Since then we traveled first to where our school was supposed to be, and found only a bare lot. From there we drove cross country here, since my family home was closest. We've learned abit about novas, what we call mutants in our home, and how different things are here."

"So you're Daniel, yet not ours." His father put forth, and nodded. "Yes, I won't call you Dad, or Ma anymore if you wish, but you are both exactly like my parents."

Quintus shook his head. "It's fine son. It will just take some getting used to for all of us I think, having our son back."

Riva, his mother looked at him, and nodded. "You are our son Daniel, regardless of what world. That doesn't change the bonds of family. You and your Girlfriend are more than welcome to stay here with us until you're able to get things sorted out."

She looked to Sonja and smiled. "You're lucky Daniel, she's a beautiful young woman. I trust you're both novas, and that it was the pair of you we saw a few minutes ago on TV, who put down that nova in the zoo and kept the animals from running loose?"

Sonja gave a start, straightening in her chair and folding her arms beneath her prominent bosom, faint blooms of colour rising on her creamy tanned cheeks. "Why does everyone think I'm his girlfriend?" Sonja asked in a miffed tone. "I'm not! We're just friends and schoolmates- Huh?" Her pale brows furrowed in surprise as she caught up to Riva's question.

"Yes, we're both mutan- Novas, I guess we should start learning to say... We were on TV? They caught that-me?!" Her faintly accented voice grew a touch discordant, her arms coming up unconsciously, trying to conceal her endowments, but it was a futile effort.

Riva gave the large - in more than one sense of the word - girl a commiserating smile, patting her on the shoulder. "I'm sorry I inferred too much, dear. I'm sure Daniel is proud enough just having a young woman like yourself for a friend." Her smile turned a touch wry. "Novas are very popular these says, Sonja. It seems like the news crews get to any incident involving Novas before the authorities do. Don't worry about this time, none of the shots had a full view of... Well. It may have been a little suggestive, but young women on the beach reveal far more in their bikinis. I hope you are doing okay, you took quite the tumble through the air, Sonja."

"I'm okay," Sonja confirmed, absently rubbing the lower part of her breast where the rhino had attempted to gore her. There was probably barely a mark now running up her stomach and boob, and it would be gone by tomorrow.

Sonja gave her head a quick shake, then stood up, looming over the Allards. She bent down, giving Riva a quick hug, then shook Quintus' hand, both carefully controlled, very conscious of her growing strength. "Thank-you, for your offer. It's very kind of you to take us in. I... I think we need time to just sit down and... adjust to all... this."

After Sonja released them, Riva nodded to Quintus and the two adults quietly left. "Take all the time you need, we're here if you need."

Once they left, Daniel stood up and moved over to her, reaching up to place a hand on her shoulder. "They're good people Sonja, at least now we know we aren't totally alone here."

He smiled. "We should stay, at least until tomorrow, before we try to go to your home."

He looked up to her. "If that's still our plan."

He knew it was a risk, laying a hand on her, but it was worth it to him. "At least for tonight though, we get the benefit of a real home-cooked meal, soft beds, and that no matter what, we have somewhere we can call home here."

Daniel could feel Sonja's inhuman muscles ripple under his hand as she tensed, then quickly lifted lifted his hand off her shoulder, though he suspected she was being far more gentle than she would have been at LHA, since his bones were unbroken and his hand was still attached to his wrist. Or maybe it was just the smile she gave, honest and melancholy, along with the shrug

"We can stay for a few days, I guess, it doesn't matter. Seeing my family, this one anyway, won't make my real one miss me any less." Sonja brushed some hair from her face, then glanced at the TV, then around the den at the books on the shelves and magazines on the table. "We do need to learn about this place, so we don't end up making some sort of dumb mistake through our ignorance."

The tall, physically powerful girl gave a deep sigh as she flipped open a magazine, looking at a picture of the president, one she'd never seen before - Randal 'The Fireman' Portman. "But I do want to see this version of my family, just... Just, I need to go see them, you understand?" she said softly, arching a brow at him, hoping Daniel understood what she meant.

He nodded. "Whatever you need Sonja, we'll handle."

He looked to the door. "How bout I show you around then, since we're gonna stay. You can take a bath and rest up."

He chuckled. I'll give you the room with the private bath, so no worries about peeking."

He led her to the promised room, and nodded. It was the guest bedroom, his was two doors down, and suprisingly, looked much as he remembered it.

Sonja looked around the house as Daniel gave her a tour, still finding it a bit awkward needing to duck - even slightly - through doorways. It was a nice house - Daniel's parents were obvious well off - large and roomy, and if it wasn't as large and luxurious as her home in the Holmly Hills, it had a comfortable, lived-in quality that more than compensated in her opinion.

After being shown the guest bedroom, Sonja headed back out to her Hummer and brought in the bags of clothes she had bought in New York. A bath after dinner sounded like just the thing and she wanted something to change into after she got out.

Just as Daniel claimed, the home-cooked meal was delicious and the Allards made so much even they couldn't finish it all. Daniel's parents didn't seem at all surprised by their appetites, even debating light-heartedly if there were eating enough for growing Nova teenagers.

After dinner, Sonja asked if there was anything she could read that gave a brief overview of Novas and how they came around. Riva went into their study then gave her a softcover copy of Reaching the Stars: A Decade of Novas. Sonja thanked her then entered the bathroom adjoining the guest bedroom, distractingly stripping as she undressed and filled the tub.

The bath was somewhat awkward - the tub was smaller than the free-standing one she had at home and her new height prevented her from stretching out her legs, knees poking high above the water. On the other hand, they gave her something to brace her arms against as the read about the Nova Age and the heat felt great on her skin.

Sonja sat in the tub until the water grew tepid, engrossed in the book, yet she didn't get the least pruney. Finally, she got out, water sloughing off her impressive curves and dried herself off with a terrycloth towel as she studied herself in the full length mirror on the back of the door.

Her changes still surprised her, somehow both subtle and drastic, and it was more than just height. Her entire figure had grown in perfect proportion, her athletic physique adding just a little, but noticeable, new amount of tone and delineation, yet retained her dramatic curves. Her face held the most change, she just couldn't say how. She didn't think of herself as conceited, but there had been only one or two girls as attractive as herself at LHA, yet now, her features were considerably finer, flawless, her colouring even more captivating. Am I going to go through another growth spurt? And how much will I change then?

She shook her head, long silver-white hair swinging heavily before she tied back in a pony-tail. Changes... This seems like a time for changes, she thought, running her hand down her pony-tail before getting dressed in a set of magenta, silk pajamas that flattered her tall, voluptuous figure very well. If Novas first came around in '98, then what about my mother and the Skjalmos in Iceland?

She padded downstairs, moving with a grace and lightness of step that was shocking in a woman so tall. Her and the Allards talked into the night and watched some TV. It was... odd to see mutants - Novas - all over the TV, and not in a negative way. The night continued, Riva and Quintus headed to bed, followed by Daniel an hour later. It was very early in the morning when Sonja finally went to bed, having finished A Decade of Novas, her thoughts reflective.

She pondered her changes, and the changes between her home and the reflection she would find here. Changes...

To his suprise, Daniel found a computer in his room, which he turned on. Much as Sonja immersed herself in her book, he surfed something called the Opnet at speeds he'd never dreamed of back home. He read about the "origin" of novas, of the various prominent ones, including Mal and Pax. He read all about Team Tomorrow, and what he could find on the teragen, stopping only for leftovers and a shower. Hours later, he went to bed, visions of the various novas and everything he'd learned swirling in his mind, affecting him in ways he couldn't guess.

In the morning he woke to the sunlight coming in his window and threw back the covers. He got up and felt abit taller, passing a hand through his hair, and not thinking anything of it. He'd heard that was always the case.

He dressed in shorts and a tanktop, unaware of the other changes. He was taller, nd if he'd been attractive before, he was far beyond that now. His ever muscle was perfectly toned and sculpted, his hair was abit spikier, and his red eyes were bright and gave one the impression they'd shine at night.

Perhaps the most noticeable thing for everyone else though, his aura of heat was nonexistant, as if it had simply turned off.

He made his way into the kitchen, where his father read the paper, and his mother was cooking pancakes. "Good morning everyone."

Riva stopped and he heard the Clatter of the metal spatula as it fell on the stove. "Daniel, is that you?"

His father had looked over the paper, and now set it down to get a better look at his "son" "My God Daniel, you look so.."

His mother nodded. "Good. Almost as good as Sonja..."

At that moment, Sonja came down the stairs, still in her pajamas, ducked through the doorway into the kitchen and froze in completely shock. The book in her hand dropped from nerveless fingers, hitting the tiled floor with a sharp smack.

"Daniel, is that you?" she gasped in a low voice in the exact tone his mother had used.

Daniel looked over at the towering teen, giving her a smile he might have thought was sheepish, but was in fact, heart-stopping. "Yeah, it's me, Sonja. Seems like I've had my own growth spurt, but I didn't change as much as you did."

"Oh, you've changed alright," Sonja countered, her voice an unintentionally husky purr.

Hearing her tone, Daniel looked at his friend closely. Her purple eyes were riveted on him, her colour high. He had seen her flushed before, in anger and excitement, but he had never seen her blush so brightly before. Her more than large breasts rose and fell with each deep breath she took and Daniel could clearly see where her nipples tented the shiny, magenta silk.

Sonja shook her head, staggered and blind-sided by Daniel's sudden, searing handsomeness. Is this how guys feel when they see me for the first time? I didn't think the effect was this... powerful. Alex had set her heart to racing with his sunny attractiveness, but it had been overlaid by a fear and annoyance of the inevitable comparisons to Barbie and Ken they would have garnered as a couple. Daniel's scarlet eyed, fiery hair gorgeousness made her thoughts spin.

For the first time in her life, Sonja seriously considered wanting a boyfriend.

"Um, wow, er... I want- I mean, I have to go change," Sonja stuttered before dashing up the stairs in a platinum haired blur. She came back down seconds later, dressed in pink-laced running shoes, snug khaki shorts that emphasized her strong, fantastically long legs, and a v-neck, blue crop-top. "Uh, this is too- I, after-reading about Novas and stuff, it's a lot to take it, I'm just, gonna go out for a while, 'kay? I need to process this." Before anyone could protest, Sonja was out of the house and starting up her Hummer.

Riva gave Sonja an amused smile, then turned a fond look on this version of her deeply missed son. There were differences, significant ones, but he was her son too. "I think that over-sized girl is finally getting a taste of her own medicine, Daniel."

Daniel smiled, not laughing until she was good and gone. "Is it really that noticeable?"

Riva smiled to him. "Yes Daniel, it most certainly is. I know the look she gave you well." She chuckled as he was a little flushed at the implication.

"Seriously, think I should go after her?"

"Not dressed like that Daniel, I think the women in the neighborhood might not let you catch her." His father laughed. "Why don't you go put on abit more clothing and then you can go after her if you like."

Daniel nodded and head upstairs, changing his outfit into a grey buttondown and blue jeans, before donning his tennis shoes and getting ready to go after Sonja.

"She could be most anywhere by now, that girl's so fast."

Distracted by her own unaccustomed feelings, Sonja drove into the city, not noticing the avid looks directed her way which she was normally acutely aware of. Even when she stopped at a drive-thru and ordered enough for three teen boys, she didn't snap at the guy in the window who handed her order and change to her chest. Get over it, girl! You know what's it like, now Daniel is too. Don't go acting like how guys act around you.

To distract herself from her distraction, Sonja decided to do what she did when she didn't have a track or gym to work out her tension, she went shopping. She was wealthy in her world and it seemed she was wealthy here too - at least, her bank account was flush and her credit cards worked.

Sonja parked her Hummer and walked into the Riverwalk Marketplace with a purposeful stride. People turned to watch the imposing, statuesque woman, but dared to approach. She was obviously a strong young woman - and with a Nova, that could be strong indeed - and she was awfully big, and not apparently seeking any companions. Men kept it to simple stares and counted themselves lucky to have seen such a sight.

Most clothing stores didn't have anything her size, but she was able to pick up a few shirts and she found a nice silk football jersey close to her size at a sports store. It seemed like soccer was more popular in this world, though she didn't get the clerk's snickering reference to Corbin in Hard Balls. There were many sports teams she didn't recognize either.

A stop at UR Sunglasses netted her a nice pair of rimless Versace shades with adjustable, multipurpose vitrium lenses. She picked up several bracelets, a ring, and a cute pair of earrings at a jewelry. She wanted to get another set of piercings in her ears, but their piercing instrument wouldn't penetrate and she was glad the piercings she already hadn't healed over.

At a music store, she bought several 'chips' of movies starring Novas and music featuring Novox artists. Then needing something to play them on, she went to Cellular Essentials to get a new smartphone. Here, the clerks were fortunate, since she actively sought out their help in choosing a phone and they got to spend half an hour chatting with a giant-sized Nova babe. There were many options, more than in her world, and she ended up with a ViaSoft OpPhone, which was reminiscent of an iPhone, but more powerful than her PC, and was capable of reading her new chips.

Sonja was just finishing her white-chocolate-raspberry ice cream from the Haagen Dazs kiosk when she passed the Quantum Salon and on a whim, decided to get a hair-cut. Things are changing so much lately, why not my hair? I've always worn it long, let's try something else.

The first free barber - Kirsten according to her name-tag - was short, spunky, and would have been considered busty is she hadn't been standing next to Sonja, who's breasts were level with her head and if anything, were bigger. Kirsten was aghast was shortening Sonja's long, amazing hair, but the amazonian teen was adamant. While Sonja got her hair cut, Kirsten chatted animatedly, divulging almost as much detail into this world as the book she had read last night.

When Kirsten was done, Sonja looked wonderingly in the mirror. It felt weird, having hair this short. It was a short, sporty style, falling short of her shoulders and with loose, chin-length tendrils framing her face. It emphasized her shoulders and highlighted her strong, graceful neck. She liked it.

She did encounter a problem when she went to pay though. She didn't have much cash on her and when she went to use debit, the machine said her card was canceled. So were her credit cards... all of them. Kirsten looked embarrassed her for and was willing to let the gorgeous, towering teen go as her first Nova customer - and the fact she was frickin' huge and looked mad enough to give Geryon a run for his money - but Sonja had her pride and would have none of it. She quite liked this hair cut and would see that Kirsten got paid. This was the first time she had trouble paying for anything and it was quite embarrassing. She wasn't like Oneca who wasted money like no one's business.

Reluctantly, she got out her new OpPhone and called Daniel. She didn't realize she was lucky, as Daniel had just gotten home after looking for her. "Uh, hi, Daniel? Do you think you can come down to the Quantum Salon in the Riverwalk Marketplace?" she asked softly, her faintly accented voice sheepish and embarrassed. "All my cards seems to have been canceled. Guess, umm, dad had an issue with my spending habits. I'll pay you back as soon can, you know that, right?"

He nodded, "Sure thing." he smiled,hanging up the phone. Lucky for him He still had cash. His accounts weren't good here, though his parents had already told him they'd fix that. "Guess I'll go get her then afterall."

He took off after getting directions, and Flew over the city, drawing the looks of most everyone on the street. They'd rarely seen a flying man on fire, let alone as breathtaking as Daniel was. He set down on the street about a block from the Salon, having spied the Hummer.

The looks he drew made him wonder if Sonja felt this way all the time. Finally he made it there, and opened the door, unprepared for the reaction. The multitude of women stopped when they noticed him as he strode over to Sonja and smiled. "Hey, that cut looks really good on you Sonja." He smiled to the young woman he assumed had cut her hair and nodded. "You did a really good job." He quickly got out the correct amount of money, more than he'd have thought, or paid at all.

He nodded smiled, slowly becoming more and more acutely aware of all the stares pointed at him.

"He's your boyfriend?!" Kirsten gasped, voice heavy with envy and lust. "He's... he's so hot." Of course he is. Why wouldn't someone built like Amazon Barbie have a super hot boyfriend? He's barely legal, but sooooo yummy.

Sonja was torn, her emotions going every which way. She was embarrassed having to get Daniel to pay for her hair-cut, flattered that he liked her new do, irritated that everyone always assumed Daniel was her boyfriend, and surprised that her heart beat faster at the thought of the possibility of him being her boyfriend.

Sonja was also mildly amused. Daniel was obviously new to having a super sexy, gorgeous x-gene expression. He was growing aware of the attention, enjoying it... and it was going to lead to a problems. She had grown up being more attractive to just everyone else. There was a way to hold yourself so not everyone tried to hit on you, so that you didn't seem interested.

The way Daniel was smiling and standing, he was putting fair game vibes and at any moment, all the women in the Quantum Salon were going to try get a piece of him. Sonja smirked and decided to help him out, ignoring the slight spike of possessiveness she felt.

"He is, isn't he?" Sonja giggled, smiling wide, strutting to his and giving him a pinch on the ass with fingers that rip steel. She meant to just ruffle his crimson hair, but couldn't stop herself from running her fingers through its silken, spikey length. "I'm a lucky girl to hotstuff here for a boyfriend."

She pulled Daniel close and looked down at him, a teasing smirk on her lips. Daniel had never seen her purples eyes gleam so brightly. Before he could say a word, Sonja tilted his head up and bent down, giving him a (very) brief kiss on the lips.

"Ready to go, my little man?" she asked with sugary sweetness as she slipped on her new sunglasses and twined her fingers with his as she held his hand. Despite her gentle, if implacable, grasp, Daniel couldn't help but be aware of the sheer power in her hands.

"Buh-whuh-I... okay," Daniel stuttered, bewildered by the way Sonja was acting, but going along with it. If the voluptuous Valkyrie of a girl wanted to act girlfriendish, who was he to complain? Besides, after getting her bags, she was heading out the door and he couldn't have freed his fingers even if he had wanted to.

The young, extraordinarily attractive couple strode briskly through the mall and across the parking lot, every eye turning their way in desire, jealousy, awe, and a host of other emotions. Daniel climbed awkwardly into the passenger seat while Sonja stowed her bags then slid in behind the wheel. She put the key in the ignition, but didn't start the monstrous vehicle, instead turning to look at him.

"You're gonna have to learn how to deal being a total babe, Daniel," Sonja said in tone that was serious and somehow... flirtatious? "Otherwise, you're gonna have to fight off all the girls and women trying to rape you."

Sonja took a deep, steadying breath, Daniel's eyes unavoidably pulled to the impressive globes swelling out of the v-neck of her shirt. "Thanks, Daniel. I guess the version of my family that's here know something is going on. I'm gonna have to go see them soon, I think."

Sonja started up the Hummer and beginning driving back to the Allard residence. The silence between them was palpable, growing taut and uncomfortable.

"So, was all that in the mall just for-" Daniel began, trying to making sense of how other people, and Sonja in particular, were acting towards the new - yet old - him. But Sonja interrupted him.

"Do you want to take me out for a date? Like a movie or something?" Daniel could tell her question was honest, but he heard the melancholy loneliness in her voice.

Daniel nodded, and smiled. "I'd really enjoy taking you out on a date Sonja, you know that. I've never hidden that fact. You always made it really clear though that any time we went out wouldn't be a date. I'd always lamented the nature of that first misunderstanding, because I knew you'd never say yes afterwards."

He looked out the window. "Thanks for saving me back there though. This is what it's been like for you hasn't it? You have any pointers?"

He tried to think. They were kinda young to go do anything really fun in New Orleans, so dinner and a movie was probably best. He was still a little shocked she'd even proposed this, even if it could only be for appearances, since she was living at his parent's home too.

He turned and looked back to her, his usual confident smile firmly in place.

"I know a great little restaurant, and I think the movie theater is still on this side of town."

He'd never see Diana again, it was something he knew now, and it made this easier. Still he was suprised to even get this chance. "Would you like to go with me?"

He nodded. "We could go bowling if you preferred."

"Not bowling," Sonja quickly asserted. Bowling balls had felt like ping pong balls before her latest growth spurt and she didn't want to show up Daniel in a physical activity when all she wanted was fun. Sonja gave him a small smile before turning her eyes back on the road as she drove them back to the Allard Residence. "Dinner and a movie is perfect, Daniel. Really."

Back 'home', Riva exclaimed politely over Sonja's new do, hiding a smile as she noted the tension and shy glances between the tall girl and her pseudo-son. Quintus took Daniel aside, wanting to know how he was dealing with his new found... pulchritude. The afternoon seemed to pass slowly as the two teens wasted time, anxious about their upcoming date.

Finally, the sun was sitting low on the horizon and they began to get ready. Daniel told Sonja that the restaurant was casual with a live band, so she could pick out something appropriate. That done, she took a shower - cursing the showerhead that she had to duck awkwardly beneath to wash her hair - then deftly restyled her new do and added a faint touch of make-up around her eyes and on her lips. Reluctantly, she avoided any heels - despite liking them, even before her extra height, she rarely got to wear them - and choose a pair of flat, trendy, open-toed sandals.

Despite himself, Daniel was excited, yet still felt a trace of shame. He had been more than fond of Glacia, but Sonja was the girl nearly every guy at school had fantasized about, yet who hardly dated, keeping sort of aloof, and she had asked him out on a date. He knew it was partly because he was the only one from the same world/reality as her, but he felt that same connection.

Studying himself in the mirror, realizing just how much he's changed, Daniel got dressed in a simple buttondown shirt and a dark pair of slacks. He fiddled with the buttons on his shirt then walked down the hall and knocked on the guestroom door.

"Sonja? Are you ready to go?"

"Just a minute- Yes." The door slowly swung open and Daniel's mouth went dry. Dressed in a simple, lavender sweater-dress with straight lines that fell to mid-thigh, sunglasses perched on her gleaming, platinum tresses and a her purse slung over a shoulder, Sonja somehow looked casual, sporty, and glamorous all at the same time and above all, drop dead gorgeous.

Click to reveal..

Sonja is wearing something that looks like this:

john-patrick-organic-sweater-dress1.jpg

But in this colour:

K14.gif

"You like?" Sonja asked in her rich voice, a hesitant cast to her flawless features.

Daniel suddenly realized, despite being a confident, physical powerful young woman, Sonja really had little experience going on dates. Some of his nervousness abated, his time with Glacia making him more comfortable with the situation. A little - Sonja was a whole other breed of woman compared to Glacia.

He nodded. "You look great Sonja, you really do." He was having some trouble actually thinking, being tongue-tied was a new experience for him.

He looked up, trying his very best to keep his eyes on her face, her eyes. "You get this all the time, but you really are a beautiful young woman." His voice hid no ulterior motive or leer to his smile, he was truly sincere.

"Come on." He led her downstairs where even Quintus's eyes narrowed, impressed by how the couple managed to look even better, and Riva smiled, knowing no matter what her son would enjoy himself tonight.

"You two have fun. Remember, you're both still underage, and the curfew here is still Eleven."

"Right, thanks mom." Daniel nodded grinning sheepishly.

"I guess even we mutants still have to obey some standard laws here."

He led her to the hummer and opened the door for her, letting her climb in before sitting behind the drivers seat and adjusting it to fit him. He made the drive to Landry's of New Orleans, a Restaraunt he'd loved when he lived here back in the other world, happy to find it still there, and pretty much the same as he remembered.

He parked and moved faster than she thought as he was there to open her door. "A little chauvanistic I know, but this is how it's supposed to be done down here." He smiled to her and offered her his arm, She took it and together the incredible couple made their way inside. The hostess was slackjawed at Daniel's appearance and the size and beauty of Sonja.

He smiled with a charm that Sonja recognized, even as his accent came out. "Ah was hoping we could get a table tonight, preferrably non-smokin."

She just nodded. "who's playin tonight?"

"The Caddilacs will be here in an hour."

He smiled. "That's great, they cover all the good old songs." She produced menus and finally lead them to a table looking over her shoulder at them both. Daniel pulled out the sturdy cypress chair and allowed Sonja to sit, before seating himself.

"A waitress will be along in a moment." Daniel nodded seeing at least three watching him already. "That's fine, it's been a long time since I ate here." He had a feeling there'd be heated debate on who'd get to serve them.

He smiled up to Sonja as water and breadsticks were brought for them, and nodded. The decor was all rich solid wood, with a few trophies here and there, a small stage with a good sized dance floor, and various peices of Cajun history all around. They were seated in a corner, The Hostess having placed them there. He made a note to make sure she got a tip.

More people began to arrive, obviously coming for the Band.

He smiled, the menu was alot of traditional cajun food, with other more continental foods as well for those who didn't like to feel the burn. "The blackened redfish is very good, All their seafood is fresh and caught locally. This place has over eighty years of pride in that, and is one of my favorites. I wasn't born to this culture, but mom and dad were, and I find it comforting to be surrounded by such familiarity."

When the waitress arrived, Sonja glanced at Daniel with a quarter smile on her lips, then handed her the menu. "I'll have what he's having. The blackened redfish sounds very appetizing."

Though more than one man had tried, Sonja didn't usually tolerate being treated with the dated, somewhat chauvinistic and condescending social graces. But Daniel's grin was honest and pleased with her company, his manners a product of his upbringing in the South, so she just let herself go with the flow. It was very different from California or Iceland or LHA. Besides, sometimes, it was fun to be treated like a 'Lady'.

Sonja watched the pretty waitress walk away to place their orders than turned back to Daniel. Sitting down, her purple eyes weren't much higher than Daniel's, the knees of her long legs bumping his under the table. Sonja could feel all the eyes gravitating towards them, but she pushed the it aside for Daniel's benefit. She was used to it, if not to quite this degree, and she wanted Daniel to be comfortable.

"I like the accent, Daniel," Sonja said, amused with the dichotomy of his Asian features and Southern upbringing, her own faint Icelandic accent thickening. "And I like this place too, the solid wood construction and furniture. It's not like the superficial, 'trendy' places in LA, this place has character."

Their conversation started off a bit awkward. Their first meeting hadn't gone well, and now there were in the process of going from just friends to something... else. But as they ate - the Redfish was excellent - and the music started up, they grew easier with each other, ignoring the people gawking at what they took to be a gorgeous Nova couple, and just enjoyed themselves, in good part thanks to Daniel's suave demeanor.

Though he was having trouble keeping his cool being on an actual date with a young woman like Sonja. Just the way her impressive bust cast a shadow over the table almost made him sweat. Sonja was a little worse off, not having had years to grow accustomed to Daniel's intensely hot new looks, but only several hours.

As they finished their meal, their banter, which had devolved to reminisces of LHA usually starting with, 'Do you remember...' trailed off as they listened to the Cadillacs singing covers of the same older songs they remembered their world.

"Do you want to dance?" they both asked at the same time as the silence stretched between them.

Archived