31 Days of Halloween

jameson (ST)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... and now a word from the creator ...

On the 15th through to the 20th I'll be traveling with unknown internet access at my destination. I asked in chat for some help in maintaining this thread while I'm away. I've made arrangements so there should still be a post but it may not come in on the same time and they won't be from me until I return on the 21st.

thanks

Actually I think Lucas has proved that CG can do some really great things but that no amount of sexy special effects can save a terrible film.

The Original Trilogy featured some of the most cutting edge FX of their time and were great because the FX serviced story, the Prequels were the opposite, they are generally panned because the story was weak and the films almost pandered to the FX. People could learn a lot from Lucas, though I'm sure that his object lessons weren't all intentional.

My friend that is doing the homepage blogs and I were discussing monster movies. There have been a bunch of good vampire and doppelgänger movies, but werewolves haven't fared that well in cinema. An American Werewolf In London was 1 of only a handful of werewolf movies that we could think of that were good. Some of the other movies that we discussed were Dog Soldiers, Ginger Snaps, Silver Bullet, Bad Moon and The Howling. Our discussion started because I watched Cursed, which was just a dreadful movie.

I've never seen Ginger Snaps, but people tell me it's a great werewolf movie. Silver Bullet was the first werewolf movie I saw growing up and it basically set the stage for me loving horror movies, followed by The Howling.

Cursed wasn't that bad. Sure it was pretty bad, but I own it and have watched it a few times to assist with reference when I'm working werewolf related. One thing it did have that I don't see in most werewolf movies is that the werewolves were sentient, not blood thirsty predators. They were more cognizant of their actions which I thought was a nice touch.

Now, if want to talk about dreadful movies... watch Modern Vampires. barf

Jar Jar Binks = trillions and trillions of computer cycles flushed right down the toilet. I hate gungans... they are an excellent argument for genocide. When I played Star Wars Galaxies I used to go out of my way to kill gungans. Did I mention that I hate gungans?

I love the Shining. The book is the only thing I've ever read that gave me the creeps. The movie, which I saw alone at home, on a windy night (My parent's house creaks) when I was 13ish, gave me a deep persistent creep out that resulted in me taking the stairs up to my room with my back to the wall. To this day its one of the few Stephen King books that I feel was properly adapted to film even despite the changes, because the tone and creep-out factor were spot on.

As a result this is my hands down favorite of the Treehouse of Horror skits, and this particular scene is one that I quote fairly regularly. Good stuff.

Kael, watch Pet Cemetary. I don't want to spoil anyone who might see it, so I outlined it in the spoiler box.

Click to reveal..
In it, the basic plot is that anything buried in the Pet Sematary comes back. They come back wrong, possessed and evil. The protag's son is killed and he breaks down, digs up his corpse and buries him in the Pet Sematary. The boy comes back, kills the neighbor and the protag's wife, then attacks the protag. I found the image of a two year old walking around with a scapel and saying, "First I play with Judd, then Mommy came, and I play with Mommy. We play Daddy! We had a awfully good time! Now, I want to play with YOU!" to be the damned creepist things ever. Of course, YMMV.

Archived