Exalted: Dreams of Exaltation - Prelude: Meeting

Krul

Though no one else could understand what was being discussed, both of the exalts understood it, with a bit of struggle, the dialect was not one heard anywhere in creation.

This was what they were able to make out.

"Greetings, Champion, we have brought back some more captives, I have heard there was trouble with the soul gem project?"

"Thank you, Captain, but it is non of your concern, the Assembly is seeing to the matter, Autochithonia and Creation are proving to be very different places, but at least we have found some evidence of jade, and other materials."

"Of course, Champion, I leave these mortals to your care, may the Maker guide you steps."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Does any of that make sense to you?" Mei Ying asked. 'Soul gems' sounded very ominous to her. The idea that these folk might not be slavers but something far, far worse was dawning on her. "Soul gems? I think it might be best if we made our move prematurely. I don't think we want to see what's on the other side of that."

Memory coursed through his mind, of an ancient entity, one of two that was allowed to live. "Autchithon, One of the Primordials who sided with the Gods in the Primordial War, He forged the first weapon I ever wielded in War."

He looked as though his eyes were staring far away. "He vanished Elsewhere after the war, likely fearful we would turn upon him."

He nodded. "I think you are right, revealing ourselves would likely be best, though be on your guard, I certainly will be on mine."

He looked to Daiya, "Stay behind me."

As they stepped out of the strange carriage, without being directed to do so, with a drowsy Diaya behind them, the strange being turned it's head to face them. "This seems unusual, you carry yourselves differently, your dress, manner and bearing are not the same as the others.. no matter, you will be processed like the others." He wasn't really speaking to them, it was more of the sound of someone considering a matter aloud.

Lifting a red jade diakliave, he pointed to the great head rising from the swamp, his language shifted to southtongue, if sounding a bit mechanical. "Go that way, and line up in single file for processing."

Seiya shook his head. "No."

"Explain what it is you are doing, and why. I will go no farther until I hear what it is you plan to do with these people and with us."

Essence roiled within him, only a strength of will, and no small amount of restraint kept him from drawing his GrandDaiklaive and sorting this the hard way.

In the moment, he studied the Jade Daiklaive, remembering about the material, noting any hearthstones set in it, any inscription upon it, and any sigil to identify the maker.

(what do you want me to roll for this?)

Mei-Ying nodded and folded her arms, looking angry and regal despite her shabby wardrobe and cage.

"You are no ordinary slavers, we've established that much. But we are no ordinary captives. This moment was sealed in fate the moment you succumbed to our ruse and picked us up. All that is left now is to decide how it ends."

"Release your prisoners, tell us who your masters are and what their purpose for this is...or face judgment, and punishment."

(OOC - Do we still have our gear? I guess I could just read back and see...hee)

The man (or whatever he was?) looked somewhat taken aback for a moment, and had been about to take some form of direct action, when suddenly Seiya summoned his Daikliave from elsewhere. Taking a defensive stance, and holding his own daikliave ready.

"I am Scarlet Vigil, Champion of Autochthonia, Chosen of the Machine God, Exalted by the grace of the Maker, Autochithon himself, Defender of the City of Yugosh. Who or what are you?"

With Dawn's Wrath drawn, there was no hiding it anymore. And his visions showed him a man introducing himself to a worthy foe.

"I am Seiya, Chosen of the Unconquered Sun, Heir to the Sacred Foundry of Auron, Incarnation of the Brilliance of the Dawning Sun."

"I recognize your claim, Scarlet Vigil and repeat my question once more. Why do you gather these people against their will, and what are you planning to do with us?"

A part of him yearned for the battle, but against so many, it would be impossible to protect everyone, perhaps even survive. He didn't shy away from the fight, but a good general knew how to pick his battles.

The sorceress unwrapped her sky-cutter, embossed in orichalcum and seething with essence, and held it across her palms in a gesture meant to show that she was not currently ready to throw it...but that it was available to her should the situation require it. She did not reveal the thin gold links of armor worn under her scholarly robes however, nor the bracelets that held the hearthstone for the Library...its power would be far more decisive should it come to war.

Look at this, not that. Misdirection was the most basic form of magic there was, after all.

"I am Mei-Ying, of the Twilight caste of the Chosen of the Sun. Curator of the Library of Mysteries and keeper of her secrets."

She frowned, the red man's words plucking at memories from her readings. "Excuse me, did you say Autocthon?"

He frowned for a moment, then his eyes glazed over for an instant, and it seemed as though a glowing red gear was withing each eye for a moment, his voice became cold, almost mechanical. "Accessing Database, Twilight, Dawn... Chosen of the Sun.. designation.. Lawgiver. Danger Level.... Beyond Calculation... Recommend Caution."

Then his eyes became normal, at least as a normal as a man made of jade might appear. "Yes, Autochithon, the Great Maker, our god and our world.. We have gathered these individuals for soul gem installation, one important step to saving our people."

Mei-Ying realized at that this could still turn ugly. They were committed to protecting the villagers, and this red jade man appeared committed to 'using' them. Both sides might be mutually reasonable and non-antagonistic...but still come to violent conflict if there was no middle ground between their duties.

"We have nothing against your people," she said placatingly, "but we have pledged to protect these villagers. Does obtaining soul gems harm them? Can your people be helped without harming these men and women, or keeping the prisoner?"

"The soul gem project is paramount, we have finally reached the point where children will survive, but most adults have died, we must have a larger test group, for which purpose we have gathered these people." He glanced at the three of you before him.

"From what we have learned, the child between you, and the two of you, if you are indeed lawgivers, could certainly survive the process, and refine it for the others, if you were willing."

Mei-Ying instinctively reached out to put her hand on Seiya's shoulder when the strange 'exalted' man offered to involve his daughter.

"We would speak with your superior," she said evenly. "And I ask that, as a gesture of good faith, you release these people back to their village. Surely bringing us back will absolve you of any lack of ordinary humans."

"No" It was a flat rejection of her offer. "They have been claimed for our people, for the city, for Autochithon, I can not allow them to be released. If you wish that, you must talk with someone empowered to speak on such matters, my duty is conquest and processing, not diplomacy."

Mei-Ying grimaced. References to Autocthon were surfacing in her memory from the lore she'd read in the Library. She really didn't want first contact with its representatives to be pitched combat.

"Can you agree to suspend soul gem operations while we conduct diplomacy with someone empowered to do so?" she fished. If only there was an 'eclipse' caste here, she thought. Someone who could forge an agreement backed by essence. She was a poor substitute for a statesman.

Seiya shook his head. "You shall not have me, or my daughter. Contact one empowered to negotiate and I'm willing to hear more, but I will not allow them to be taken against their will as things stand."

With that he tensed, and The Blacksmith was shed, Becoming the unrivaled warrior of the Dawn.

"So be it, if you three depart, and leave the others to us, we can summon one who is empowered to speak as a diplomat, I can not simply let these people go, they have been chosen for the purpose and glory of serving the Great Maker, in life or in death."

Mei-Ying shook her head. "Listen," she said, "This is a momentous occasion. In ages past, your master worked together with the gods and worked wonders that remade the very heavens! There's no reason we have to be enemies now. In fact, we may well find that our ultimate goals align with each other."

She spread her hands in an imploring gesture.

"All I ask is that, in the interest of the long-term, greater good, you stop what you're doing right now. Give us time to negotiate with your diplomats. If you need to go ask permission from your superiors, we'll wait here. We're being very reasonable about this."

"There's no reason this has to become ugly...unless you force our hands. So now the power is with you. Your decision could mean the difference between peace and war. Your choice now could echo forward through the ages. Don't make it lightly. Delay this operation and give us a chance to talk...or try to force the issue, and see where that gets you. Be aware that my companion and I are committed to protecting these people. If we can do it with peace, then we would prefer that course. But if you test us, we have no fear of battle. The Unconquered Sun still shines in the sky after all these ages, and his gifts are mighty."

"So make your choice. Will you give us a chance to speak before you act? Or will you cleave blindly to orders that no longer cover this situation, and accept the dire consequences?"

Seiya was glad for Mei-Ying's presence, he had reached the limit of his own diplomacy, and from what little he knew, another like himeslf would be a boon in the battle to come.

From his seemingly extensive knowledge of war, he assessed the current situation.

"So be it.. " He called several of the folks in glasses and armor over. "These are unsuitable, return them to their village, and shift the direction of the project to the east, rather then northward."

"Champion?"

"It has been assertained that further advances in that direction will bring us into direct conflict with the political group designated 'The Realm'. Further data is required before any forces extend in that direction."

"And these thre?" The man gestured to the three, the two exalts and the child.

"Are no longer your concern."

Once the man departed, to load everyone back aboard, Scarlet Vigil turned to them again. "I trust that your specifications for minimal conflict have been resolved?"

Relief flooded Mei-Ying. Conflict had, for the moment, been averted. Sooner or later, the 'harvesting' of people would have to be stopped...but she knew that taking out one group would only represent a small slowdown in their operation, while simultaneously making any option other than war much more difficult.

Now they had options.

She bowed, palms together, in the style of the Realm.

"Yes," she replied. "Thank you. With your permission then, may we accompany you to meet your superiors? It seems we have a great deal to talk about."

"Wait."

He was trying to remember something, something important. Shapes rose from the darkness, The Souls of the Maker, his helpers and aspects, though their names elluded him.

They had a friendly rivalry, and some held him in healthy respect, but he couldn't put a name to any of them.

"Damn."

There was one other thing though, something that remained in his Manse, something he'd require if they truly were planning to leave this place.

"Mei-Ying, I need to go back. I told you abit of my Manse, and since you are a scholar perhaps you can tell me things I seem to have not yet remembered. There is something there I think i'm going to need."

"Is there anything you can do to facilitate this, as I don't think it wise to impose much on our new acquaintances?"

• 2 weeks later...

The alchemical looked between them both, and then made a slight bow. "A day or two will not make a difference, I need to speak with my superior's anyway, a few days would be helpful in that regard."

Shortly after that, the three of them, the two exalts and the young girl took a ride on the winds, using the spell stormwind rider, they were able to make it back to the manse in about a day. Once there, Seiya was able to claim his armor.. and Mei-Ying managed to find an interesting journal in the heart of the manse, written by his previous incarnation. She was also able to ascertain, it was a inactive Factory-Cathedral, which made it incredible that no one had found it.. a priest and a proper cleansing would be needed to get it active again.. but even so.

She found her way to the following passage, which was able to explain to her why her comrade was so knowledgeable about things of his previous incarnation, but not of his present. I have found it, the way to immortality, my study of the mantle tells me everything I need to know, with this series of charms, I will insure that my memories are persevered even to my next incarnation. This will wipe most of the memories of the one who hosts it, but this is a minor loss, and with creation ruled by the Deliberative, not even a serious one, it will allow me to regain my status as creations greatest weapon master, craftsman and warrior together, much more quickly.. Sense Saiya was busy, Mei-Ying was able to decide for herself to share this with him, or keep it hidden until some future date.

Meanwhile, Daiya explored and played in the manse until they were prepared to return. The little girl seemed carefree for the most part, but her occasional sparks of deep wisdom were starting to seem strange, it was not the normal behavior of a child who's father didn't seem to remember anything but that he loved her. She also seemed to keep dodging questions about who her mother was, Saiya hadn't seemed to noticed it yet, but Mei-Ying, having asked the question, had noticed the girl kept changing the subject.

Soon enough, Saiya walked out in his celestial battle armor, equipped in a manner that made him equal to the armor of host of the dragon blooded. He was also able to give Mei-Ying something she would find useful, a sorcery capturing cord made of blue jade, able to catch and hold a terrestrial spell against future use.

Soon enough they were returning to the encampment with the strange jade man was at, the one who called himself Alchemical Exalt. This time, they meet someone else, a man of orichalcum calling himself 'Fair-Spoken Rishi'. The instant brought back the exaltations of both solars and sparked something in Saiya's daughter.. suddenly she shone golden, a surrounded by unfolding rose petals, and a golden circle within a circle, the sign of the eclipse caste shown on her forehead. While both of the other solar dealt with the sudden shock, and feeling a sense of unity with her, the young eclipse who was daughter then began to suggest a alliance of sorts between these folks and the three of them.

Unfortunately, when they entered the city of Yugosh, they got separated due to an attack from within by dissidents and Daiya was almost captured, but managed to escape, further into the reaches of Autochithonia.. at this point, in part to make amends, Fair-Spoken Rishi lead them into the Far reaches after her.. through the crystal heart of Authochithia at last to only a few miles outside of where they caught up to the young lady, who fortunately had managed to survive and fight her way though the reaches all this time.. an impossibility for a mortal her age, but truly within the capabilities of a solar exalt, she had managed to get lost, but was slowly learning to navigate her way better. This all took them six months to at last make their way to and reunite Saiya and his daughter.. now calling herself Daiya of the Rose.

The addition of Resplendant Dawn to Seiya's panoply was another step on regaining the might and power he wielded in the first age, and for him it just felt good.

Daiya's exaltation took him by total suprise, and it was only through Mei-Ying's calming influence that he didn't release his wrath at her near abduction and disappearance. Months past, and few things weighed on Seiya's mind other than finding his daughter. It was almost how he'd been before, singleminded to the point of excluding anything not directed to the pursuit of his goal.

The first thing he did when reunited with her was sweep her up into his arms, hugging her to him, and in that moment it was easy to remember one thing. She was all he had actual attachment to.

"I have missed you Daiya."

"And missed you too Daddy."

Though she too was a Solar Exalt, she was still his daughter, and it would be some time before he treated her differntly, exalted or not. If nothing else, he vowed he would protect her from anything she could not, and to that end, he set himself the task of teaching her his own ways, though he'd allow her to choose the weapon. He would be her first line of defense in battle, but not her last.

For Mei-ying, While he was not as attached to her as to Daiya, she was a calming and soothing presence and comfort to the Dawn caste swordmaster. He valued her counsel, as she knew far more of the world than he did, at least as things were now. He answered her queries about the ancient past with stories so vivid, they could only be memories of one who was there.

For one who only knew the past, it was a comfort to speak to someone who knew about some of what he spoke.

• 3 weeks later...

Mei-Ying passed her first months in the realm of Autocthon splitting her time between studying her craft, speaking with the people and the bureaucrats, and working with Seiya and Daiya. She added spells to her reporatoire with weeks of work and endless practice. She probed the mysteries of the people and place...who they were, where they'd come from, why they were raiding Creation. And finally, she told Seiya stories of the modern world, trying to prepare him against the day they would return. Daiya she was less certain of, now that the child had been Chosen. For one so young to assume such a responsibility...it was startling. And while Mei knew the Sun himself did not hand-pick candidates for Exaltation...it was still troubling to think He would fill the ranks of His armies with children. She offered what schooling Daiya needed, and did her best to make sure that she stayed fed and healthy...though in truth the girl needed little supervision and what she did need Seiya was happy to provide.

Finally Mei Ying's studies of magic and charms clicked together in her head. Like bricks that suddenly fit together into a path, she saw a way opening before her. So she took her leave and ventured out to find a place under the sun where she could meditate and find and take another step on this path...

It was three months before she returned...weary and hungry and thirsty, but with the strength of her Essence pushing the dust ahead of her as she moved. It seemed to boil in an invisible haze all around her, as if her body were no longer able to contain it all.

"No power comes without price," she said, her voice strong despite the trials she'd endured. "But sometimes it really is worth it."

Archived