"It Comes From Beneath!" Chapter 1 - Gathering

metaphysician

• 2 weeks later...

"I'll head to the park," Amica says, then adds to Dick, "And leave the badge at home if you want to come with. You'll make our witnesses disappear." She then glances at their benefactor. "Got any pre-dead pictures of Anne we can show around?"

She pauses for a second, thinking, then says, "I'll need at least one other person, come to think of it. Any volunteers?"

*Rachel nods to the screen*

"Regarding the ghost, there isn't conclusive evidence. However, the best judgment of our 'expert' is that the deceased's ghost probably wasn't devoured, at least not by whatever killed her. She is just missing, but in this day and age, that could mean anything from 'instantly reincarnated' to 'still running from what killed her.'"

"As for matters of grand design, Sergenat Sol-Hateur, you are new to this side of the world, I understand. Ask your comrades, they can help fill you in. We would prefer everyone to receive a full explanation and instruction in the ways of the world, but in a state of war, there often is not time."

"Pictures of the deceased are in the printout, and you'll find a copy of various maps of the city underground loaded onto this machine. Pardon the lack of printouts, but they are quite extensive. Be warned, however, that not all of the underground is mapped well, and not all of the maps are available digitally."

She pauses for a second, thinking, then says, "I'll need at least one other person, come to think of it. Any volunteers?"

Serge shrugs at the request. "Your job will be easier if you*don't* have a foreign big black guy with an ugly mug asking about a dead blond little rich girl."

"As for matters of grand design, Sergeant Sol-Hateur, you are new to this side of the world, I understand. Ask your comrades, they can help fill you in. We would prefer everyone to receive a full explanation and instruction in the ways of the world, but in a state of war, there often is not time."

"...Dick? Do you mind if I stick around with you for a while? You seem to have a good idea of what's out there as a whole and I think you're the type that can explain it to me in ways I can relate to."

Dick gives Amica a sardonic smile. "I know when to flash a badge, and when not to. However, while you're questioning the homeless, someone needs to be questioning the sewer workers, and that's what I was referring to. A badge," he pauses, considering Serge, "or two, might come in useful there." He shrugs, and looks at the screen. "I'm not ready to study the maps. Probably tomorrow, after we have our rain gear for traipsing around a half-flooded sewer pipe."

Nick said, "Since I'm talking to sewer worker... yes, I can see a badge would come in handy. If we have to we can claim we're with some secret society or alphabet agency. If he saw anything weird he's probably expecting us."

Nick nods to Serge, "I think you'll find that lots of the homeless relate to being black and foreign. Let Amica take point, you'll be fine."

Nick said, "Since I'm talking to sewer worker... yes, I can see a badge would come in handy. If we have to we can claim we're with some secret society or alphabet agency. If he saw anything weird he's probably expecting us."

Nick nods to Serge, "I think you'll find that lots of the homeless relate to being black and foreign. Let Amica take point, you'll be fine."

"So...three of you are talking to the sewer worker, and I'm going alone to the homeless thing," Amica says with a roll of her eyes. "Fine. I'm used to working alone. Lets exchange cell numbers so I can call one of you when I find something."

"So...three of you are talking to the sewer worker, and I'm going alone to the homeless thing," Amica says with a roll of her eyes. "Fine. I'm used to working alone. Lets exchange cell numbers so I can call one of you when I find something."
Nick said, "No, we should pair up and I don't really care which I do. I'll go with you."

Unseen Alex rolled his eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick said, "No, we should pair up and I don't really care which I do. I'll go with you."

Unseen Alex rolled his eyes.

Amica snorted. "Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but I fully admit I lack the glamour of a sewer worker. I guess you'll just have to make do."

She went over to the printouts and peeled out the pages with the photos, giving Nick a few copies and saving a few for herself.

"I think I have what I need." She nodded at Nick. "Ready?"

Serge helps pick up the last of the printouts and distributes them among the others.

"Since Dick and me are going under and might encounter the... unexpected, I guess I should get myself a weapon. Shouldn't be too hard in this town. But am I going to need silver bullets or something or do regular bullets work?"

Archived