Scion: Hero Game Concept

metaphysician

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure how to start this, what with lots of posts in the earlier thread. So, I shall repeat the basic idea. The Titans broke out, just recently. In response to this, and the related outbreaks of titanspawn and other supernatural menaces roving about the World, the gods have generally gone on a "activate every viable Scion" spree, and tasked their youngest descendents with keeping order and peace in the world. This is not necessarily about altruism; the more active and more public the titanspawn become, the easier a time they and their bigger, meaner kin have at getting into the world.

You ( and you, and you, and also you ) are one of these Scions. You just recently found out that yes, there be dragons. And guess who got recruited to fight them! *eg*

So basically, take the standard Scion scenario, and mix in some Supernatural for flavor. A fair emphasis on "monster of the week", at least at first, with varying surroundings and circumstances. Of course, given the nature of Fate, just because you travel from New York to LA to London, doesn't mean you leave all your complications behind. . .

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure how to start this, what with lots of posts in the earlier thread. So, I shall repeat the basic idea. The Titans broke out, just recently. In response to this, and the related outbreaks of titanspawn and other supernatural menaces roving about the World, the gods have generally gone on a "activate every viable Scion" spree, and tasked their youngest descendents with keeping order and peace in the world. This is not necessarily about altruism; the more active and more public the titanspawn become, the easier a time they and their bigger, meaner kin have at getting into the world.

You ( and you, and you, and also you ) are one of these Scions. You just recently found out that yes, there be dragons. And guess who got recruited to fight them! *eg*

So basically, take the standard Scion scenario, and mix in some Supernatural for flavor. A fair emphasis on "monster of the week", at least at first, with varying surroundings and circumstances. Of course, given the nature of Fate, just because you travel from New York to LA to London, doesn't mean you leave all your complications behind. . .

Sounds cool! I have a Scion of Bastet concept I'd love to play...

Repost of a few of my earlier comments and house rules.

Okay, to hopefully stir some thoughts and ideas and discussion, a few of the house rules and other elements, if I decided to run a Scion game. Starting with the mechanical, and working towards setting.

-Drawing and switching weapons is a Speed 1 action, not Speed 6. This may be unrealistic, but Scions aren't realistic, they are cinematic. Also, in my play experience, if it takes a Speed 6 action to switch weapons, no one switches weapons in combat.

-Mundane firearms do *not* get the Piercing property. Instead, Relic weapons of any kind get it for free. This is to encourage usage of Relic weapons ( melee or ranged ) rather than mundane firearms. Remember, though, Piercing only halves soak due to armor ( including various forms of natural armor ), not stamina.

-While I haven't decided on the exact details, I tend towards using some or all the Adventure rules for recovering inspiration points, and apply them to Legend. This helps deal with the issue of legend points seeming to be overly hard to replenish. Doesn't solve things for demigods and gods, who have far bigger reserves, but that matter can be left to another time.

-If a God comes on screen, for whetever reason, I don't roll dice. The scenario is handled strictly with roleplay and dramatic appropriateness. Which means, natch, gods don't appear on screen in a hero level game except for interaction or as plot devices. IOW, not often. OTOH, if a god *does* appear on screen, perhaps delivering instructions to one or more PCs, please, don't randomly decide to try and kill him. Even if it *is* Odin or Tezcatlipoca or one of the other mega bastards.

-Possible pantheons of choice for PCs: any of those in the core book, as well as the Tuatha and Celestial Bureaucracy from the Companion. The Atlanteans are off limits because they are missing and/or dead; sure, this means the books practically beg for a "lost Atlantean scion", but I'm keeping that option for my own NPC usage. Devas are off limit because, IMO, they suck hard; it would take far too much effort to rewrite them into something usable without violating half the premises of the setting. The national pantheons are off limits because they weren't written with a modern era game in mind, and as much as I like Athena's "children", I'm not going to determine what happened for all of them between WWII and the present. And no custom pantheons, because it makes my life easier.

-As far as PC concepts go, I'm flexible. However, I prefer at least some degree of heroism. Not all heroes are nice, and legitimate anti-heroes may not even be especially good, but I require a certain minimum of "go out and save the world" ness. Mainly, I'd prefer to not see too many serial killers who wear the skins of their victims, or tricksters who destroy random passers by with devil's bargains. Which doesn't mean you can't have a Scion of a distinctly evil god, I'd just prefer you not take after Daddy whole-heartedly.

I can't promise that I'll be able to spend huge amounts of time. But I will go through the Scion Hero rules and see about creating a PC. My two ideas currently are either revamping Coraline (most likely with a different deity-parent), or go with an idea I had earlier and take Sam Winchester (from Supernatural) and make him a Scion PC (most likely as child of a war god, with a Relic (antique) firearm). I won't have time to even look at Scion rules for a few days, so don't hold your breath. I also don't know if I have the pantheons outside of the core rules, so that might delay my final product until the later half of this month when I return home from sea.

Anything new on this, or are you waiting for characters?

More on that:

Do you want character submissions in a thread, or PM'ed to you?

Are there any special rules vis a vis character generation you want to use, that haven't already been mentioned?

What kind of ratio are you thinking of between RP and combat? This will help avoid situations where a pure diplomat PC is built for a fast and furious action game, and so on. Just a general guideline is appreciated...I won't be looking back to this and pointing an accusing finger at you later. :)

I'm mainly waiting for more character submissions, and general comments and queries. As for your questions:

1. You can post the character concept, but I'd prefer the writeups and full backgrounds by PM

2. Just standard Hero level chargen

3. Hmm, I'd say some emphasis of combat, but not a vast amount. Make sure your character can fight, one way or another.

As a quick glance, I wrote up Dean Winchester, son of Heimdall, last night while watching Princess Bride. I'll drop the stats and a short blurb here, then work on the background later.

Dean Winchester is a roving troubleshooter for his divine parent, Heimdall, cruising the country in a tricked-out Impala, hunting down the smaller titanspawn and occasionally sticking his nose into other Scion's business. He gets advice and a 'home base' in the Montana home of an old friend of his (mortal) father's, and keeps a Civil war era revolver safe in a holster hidden under his leather jacket.

Str 3

Dex 5

Sta 4

Cha 3

Man 3

App 3

Per 2

Int 2

Wit 3

Athletics 2

*Awareness 2

*Command 2

Control (Cars) 3

Empathy 2

Fortitude 1

*Investigation 4

Larceny 2

*Marksmanship 5

Medicine 1

*Melee 2

Occult 3

Presence 2

*Stealth 2

Relic 3 (Sun, Guardian, +1 damage) (firearm - the revolver wielded by Stonewall Jackson during his last battle)

Guide 2 (mortal occult master; friend of his 'foster' father)

Relic 1 (Mystery) (notebook - leatherbound pocket-sized notebook used by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, filled with various cryptic occult-related notes)

Epic Dex 2 (Trick shooter, Untouchable)

Epic Sta 1 (Self-heal)

Epic Man 2 (God's Honest, Blurt it Out)

Epic Wit 1 (Instant Investigator)

Guardian 3 (Ward)

Sun 1 (Penetrating Glare)

Courage 3 / Loyalty 2

Willpower 5

Legend 3 (9 LP)

Bravo

(bonus points: 1 Legend, 1 Relic, 3 Abilities (marks +2, invest +1), +1 Stam)

I PM'ed you my sheet, Metaphysician. Due to post length limits, I had to separate out the backstory/character history, and break it into two posts.

Let me know if there's any questions, or things you think should be changed to suit the needs of the game.

Thanks!

PM'd the expanded sheet that Alex posted in the other three, complete with 2-3 paragraphs of backstory. Despite the similarity of the name and personality, the backstory of Dean does not match his television inspiration.

Hey, Meta-doc:

My friend, the hopefully-soon-to-be-approved, wondered if using the Ragnorok source book was allowed, something about wanting Frost (whatever that is).

Also, does fixing cars come under Control, or is it Craft? If it's Craft, then I need to reassign a point or two.

Posting up description and such. Anyone else going to throw down their PC?

Birth Name: Richard Winchester

Nick Names: Dick

DoB: 17 Jan 1987

Ethnic Background: Caucasian

Nationality: American

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 190 lbs

Eye Color: Brown

Hair Color: Dirty Blonde

Handedness: Right

Distinguishing Marks: Several scars from claw marks across the left ribs

Appearance: Normally, Dick dresses in beat-up carpenter jeans, t-shirts for heavy metal bands, and a leather biker's jacket. However, he does (usually) recognize when to dress up, and owns some suits purchased off the Salvation Army rack which he can dress when trying to impress someone. He keeps his hair in a close imitation of a military cut. Whether in suit or leather, his revolver is normally in a holster tucked into the small of his back.

Personality: Dick is currently in a phase best called "I'm angry at the world and by Dad I'm going to do something about it!" He likes to drink, smoke, and hit up the women, but even a free bar staffed by Playboy Bunnies isn't going to distract him from his mission. ... well, not for long, anyway.

Interests: While Dick is fairly knowledgable about the occult, his real interests are 80s metal bands, back-roads racing (in non-modified cars), and guns.

History: What, you kidding me? Find out during the game! ::biggrin

How odd. I haven't seen any updates for a week when I've hit the Search button. I was getting concerned.

Um... I'll post what I've got a bit later, I'm in a rush. But he's a Scion of Vulcan.

And BN? I think you start with a "1" in each of your four... merits? Courage, Loyalty, etc.

To re-post:

A few references:

Character Creation and general Index of basically everything

Scion Quick-Reference Information

Comprehensive List of Knacks

Comprehensive List of Purviews

Ah, missed that. Yes, like attributes, virtues start at 1 dot each. *Which* virtues, depends on your pantheon of origin; to remind, each pantheon has a different set of four.

Also, I'm in the process of moving, so things will continue to proceed slowly. However, I will endeavor to keep contact and some kind of progress going, rather than disappearing without word.

Character Sheet:

Birth Name: Nikos Papadopoulos

Nick Names: Nick

Aliases: Nick Songsmith

Calling: Originally RenFest Artisan/Musician/Knight but this might change.

Known Relatives: Alexandros (twin brother)

Nature: Visionary

Ethnic Background: White

Nationality: US

Height: 6’

Weight: 220 lb

Hair Color: Brown

Distinguishing Marks:

Appearance:

http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channelad...1/xena_ks12.jpg

http://www.sarahmears.com/Acropolis/Gallery/kevinsmith2.jpg

Personality: Outgoing and charismatic but counter balanced by Nick’s habit of getting lost in whatever artistic vision he’s under at the moment. He’s not scatterbrained but he does have many alternating focuses. As is traditional, he’s also got a vengeful side.

Interests: Many and varied. Nick wants to become a rock star, produce world class art, and deal with the whole Titan-spawn issue.

History: Nick and his brother Alex are identical twin brothers born to a Greek-America renaissance festival artist and SCA organizer. She claimed their father was the best blacksmith she’d ever met. The twins grew up speaking Greek and going to all the festivals. When they were kids they became less identical, Alex badly broke his knee and walked with a limp for the rest of his life. After that Alex tended to pursue more bookish activities including the study of math and eventually how it could advance computers. Nick did a lot SCA things and became very good at blacksmithery and sought a knighthood. He joined a performance arts group and took vocal training. Like far too many others Nick dreamed of becoming a music star. He gained some minor success although he still had to sell his crafts. Alex joined a Silicon Valley start up. Then things got odd. In their infrequent meetings Nick noticed that Alex was stronger than he was, then over the phone Alex mentioned that he’d run into their father. A few weeks later Alex was murdered in a random piece of violence.

Nick took the death of his twin hard and made plans to travel to California and “deal” with the situation. Before he could carry out those plans Hephaestus showed up and reintroduced him to his dead brother’s ghost. To help him avoid making the same mistakes that got his brother killed, Hephaestus left him with a way to communicate with his brother. He also gifted him with the Golden Servant he’d given to Alex. If getting his brother back was a joy, the Servant is a source of wonder and frustration. He’s learned a lot by just watching it but it’s obviously better than he is.

Pantheon: Dodekatheon

Patron: Hephaestus

Virtues: Expression 3, Intellect 1, Valor 4, Vengeance 1

Physical: Strength 4, Dexterity 4, Stamina 3

Epic-Physical: Epic-Strength 2, Epic-Dexterity 1, Epic-Stamina 1

Knacks: Crushing Grip, Divine Wrath, Untouchable Opponent, Self-Healing

Mental: Perception 2, Intelligence 3, Wits 2

Epic-Mental: Epic-Intelligence 1, Epic-Wits 1

Knacks: Fast Learner, Don't Read the Manual

Social: Charisma 3, Manipulation 2, Appearance 4

Epic-Social: Epic-Charisma 1

Knacks: Inspirational Figure

Abilities: Academics 0, Animal Ken 0, *Art (Music: Vocal 2, Music: Instrument 2, Metal Work 2) , Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Brawl 2, Command 0, *Control (Horse 1), * Craft (Blacksmith 3), Empathy 1, Fortitude 0, Integrity 0, *Investigation 0, Larceny 0, Marksmanship 2, Medicine 1, *Melee 3, Occult 1, Politics 0, Presence 3, *Science 0, Stealth 1, Survival 0, Thrown 0 (* = Favored, Underlined must be specialized).

Birthrights:

(Guide 3) Alexandros Papadopoulos is now a ghost and his brother’s guide.

(Relic 3: Two purviews and summons guide) Vasili Blokhin’s flute: Vasili Blokhin was Stalin’s official head executioner and over the course of his career he personally killed tens of thousands of people. At his peak he killed 6000 people over a month in the dead of night. After he died he ended up in Hades where his suffering is unspeakable. Hades took the metals Vasili ‘earned’ for his deeds and turned them into a small Greek flute for one of his Scions who then died. Decades later Hades traded the flute to Hephaestus for a different relic. The flute is normally worn around the neck as part of a necklace and allows it’s bearer to channel the Darkness and Death purviews. It also lets Nikos summon Alexandros.

(Relic 4: 2 Purviews, unique 2 dot power) Hephaestus “Multi-tool/hammer”: Hephaestus gave Nick a “hammer” to help him forge things… and Hephaestus being Hephaestus, the “Hammer” has a series of cunningly designed joints which allow it to be reconfigured into other useful tools. It can be used as a hammer (Acc 1, +4B, Def 1, Speed 5), screwdriver, wrench, crowbar, shovel, Flail, or sword (Spatha). It can even be worn as a chain link belt or leg brace. It even has a Saxophone configuration. It also channels the Earth and Fire purviews. Changing forms is a “change weapons” action.

(Relic 2) The Golden Servant of Hephaestus (See Scion Demigod, page 229)

Boons:

Arete 1: Craft (Cost 0)

Death Senses (Death 1: Cost 0)

Fire Immunity (Fire 1: Cost 0)

Alex: I think you're short one dot in your physical attributes. 2+3+2=7

Meta-doc: Cranky Dog should be posting soon. Other than he wants to use the Ragnarok book, I don't know what his character concept is. Are you okay with posting some short IC fiction? I'm tempted to write a bit of backstory for Dick.

Finally I've been approved by the admins (thank you). And my special thanks to BN.

My character concept is going to be a rehash of my original Scion character in a F2F game that I don't participate in anymore. Having played him for a while, he'll be better fleshed out than he was when the game just came out.

He'll be a Loa scion of Shango. His mother was a Haitian refugee from the time of the Duvalier dictatorship. He grew up in Quebec City in a tough neighborhood, but with the persistence of his mother, managed to came out on top. He joined the army and eventually became a remarkable drill sergeant and eventually an elite military instructor. He never knew his father as a child until one day...

I'll punch in the numbers soon. I don't have the original stats anymore and they'll be slightly different anyway.

Cranky Dog

"I have a new scion character opinion, international!"

I didn't post anything from mine until after I PM'd it to meta-doc. I think it's the same for Alex.

OK, I made some changes to my Virtues, and shuffled around some bonus points to boost my Legend to 4 so I could keep my Guardian boon.

Birth Name: Richard Winchester

Nick Names: Dick

Aliases: At least half a dozen throwaway fake IDs

Calling: (don't remember seeing this)

Known Relatives: Father: Zach Winchester, Mother: Evelynn (deceased), Sisters: Amber, Joycelynn (deceased).

Nature: Bravo

DoB: 17 Jan 1987

Nationality: American

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 190 lbs

Hair Color: Dirty Blonde

Appearance: Normally, Dick dresses in beat-up carpenter jeans, t-shirts for heavy metal bands, and a leather biker's jacket. However, he does (usually) recognize when to dress up, and owns some suits purchased off the Salvation Army rack which he can dress when trying to impress someone. He keeps his hair in a close imitation of a military cut. Whether in suit or leather, his revolver is normally in a holster tucked into the small of his back.

Personality: Dick is currently in a phase best called "I'm angry at the world and by Dad I'm going to do something about it!" He likes to drink, smoke, and hit up the women, but even a free bar staffed by Playboy Bunnies isn't going to distract him from his mission. ... well, not for long, anyway.

Interests: While Dick is fairly knowledgable about the occult, his real interests are 80s metal bands, back-roads racing (in non-modified cars), and guns.

History: Play and read, and all will be revealed to you.

Pantheon: Norse

Patron: Heimdall

Virtues: Courage 3 / Endurance 2 / Expression 1 / Loyalty 3

Physical: Strength 3, Dexterity 5, Stamina 3

Epic-Physical: Dexterity 2, Stamina 1

Knacks: (Trick Shoot, Untouchable) (Self-heal)

Mental: Perception 2, Intelligence 2, Wits 3

Epic-Mental: Wits 1

Knacks: (Instant Investigator)

Social: Charisma 3, Manipulation 3, Appearance 3

Epic-Social: Charisma 1

Knacks: (Inspirational Figure)

Abilities: Academics, Animal Ken, Art, Athletics 2, Awareness 2, Brawl, Command 1, Control (Cars) 3, Craft (Vehicles) 2, Empathy 2, Fortitude 1, Integrity, Investigation 3, Larceny 2, Marksmanship 5, Medicine 1, Melee 2, Occult 3, Politics, Presence 2, Science, Stealth 1, Survival, Thrown

Birthrights: Relic 2 (Sun, Guardian) - This is the revolver carried by Stonewall Jackson in his last battle, and then gifted to Dean by Heimdall. Dick has custom speed-loaders for the gun, which has a five-round chamber. Explanations of his boons used with this relic are with the Boons. If it fits, you could even have Stonewall Jackson be a former Scion, actually slain by titanspawn, and the weapon recovered by Heimdall to be imbued with power. That's kind of the thought I had in mind when I added it to Dean's sheet.

Guide 2 - Bobby Tomlinson would have been called a sage or an archmage in the dark ages. In the modern age, he's a weird hermit who lives in Fort Benton, Montana (pop: 371). If there's information about any kind of titanspawn, then Bobby knows it. If there's a relic that's been lost, Bobby knows the last place it was seen and what it does. If there's a scion who's gone rogue and joined the Titans, Bobby has their dossier. Even demi-gods come to him on occasion for knowledge. And of course, Heimdall took his newborn son and placed him under the care of Bobby's nephew at birth.

Relic 1 (Mystery) - the pocket-sized, leatherbound notebook that Dick found in Bobby's house is filled with pages full of handwriting from at least four people. Codes, ciphers, and puzzles are mixed in with plain descriptions and illustrations of titanspawn, relics, and gods from varied pantheons. The biggest drawback is that none of it is organized. Still, by sitting down and flipping through the pages, sometimes Dick can put together useful information.

Boons: Ward (Guardian 3) - To activate a ward, Dick uses the butt of the revolver to trace lines and runes across doorways, windows, or walls. Normally he uses this to protect civilians (aka idiots) while he's blowing away titanspawn.

Penetrating Glare (Sun 1) - While holding the revolver and sighting down the barrel, sometimes Dick's vision is improved, as though he can see right through whatever is distorting his vision. Sort of like tunnel vision, only better.

Mystery 1 - Sitting down and reading through the notebook will occasionally give Richard insight into the strengths and weaknesses of titanspawn, deities, relics, and other mythological and supernatural creatures and situations. Of course, he's not very good at it yet.

Join Battle 5

Attacks:

- Unarmed (Light) Acc 5, Dmg 3B, Parry 3, Speed 4

- Unarmed (Heavy) Acc 4, Dmg 6B, Parry 2, Speed 5

- Stonewall's Revolver (Peacemaker) Acc 12, Dmg 4L, Range 20, Clip 5, Speed 5, Piercing

- Sig Sauer (9mm) Acc 11, Dmg 3L, Range 20, Clip 15, Speed 4

- Sawed-off (shotgun) Acc 10, Dmg 6L, Range 20, Clip 8, Speed 5

- Machete Acc 8, Dmg 6L, Parry 3, Speed 4

- Folding knife (Hadseax) Acc 8, Dmg 5L, Parry 4, Speed 4

Soak

Stamina: 3B / 2L

Epic-Stamina: 1B / 1L / 1A

Armor: Normally heavy clothing, but there is a bulletproof vest in the trunk for emergencies.

Total: 5B / 3L / 1A (6B/5L/1A with the vest)

Health Levels: as normal

Dodge DV: 6 (8 with Epic Dex, 10 with Untouchable)

Willpower: 6

Legend: 4

Legend Points: 16

Misc. Equipment: Normally kept on his person: 2 speed-loaders for the revolver, iphone, wallet, $100 hidden under gel sole in each sneaker, folding knife

Normally kept in the Impala's trunk: 2 semi-automatic handguns, 1 pump shotgun, 1 machete, 5 reloads for each gun, 2 bullet proof vests, 4-6 throwaway fake IDs (normally provided by Bobby), $500 pre-paid credit card per ID, 2-3 throwaway phones and sim cards, laptop, several changes of clothes (ranging from extra jeans/t-shirts to cheap MIB suit)

Movement* Dexterity yards 5 (7 with Epic Dex)

Dash* Dexterity + 6 11 (15 with Epic Dex)

Climb Speed* Dexterity / 2 2.5 (3.5 with Epic Dex? doesn't list other movement, only move/dash)

Swim Speed* Dexterity / 2 2.5 (3.5 with Epic Dex)

Vertical Jump Strength + Athletics yards 5

Horizontal Jump (Strength + Athletics) * 2 yards 10

[edit] Fixed some typos, fixed my DV and Move rates after checking the book last night [/edit]

Afternoon everyone.

I present you with my first draft of my character:

Birth Name: Serge-Jean Sol-Hâteur (a pun on Sergeant Slaughter, though a plausible name in french)

Nick Names: Slaughter

Calling: Drill sergeant, military instructor

Known Relatives: Mother

Nature: Pedagogue

DoB: September 12, 1977

Ethnic Background: African

Nationality: Canadian, Haitian roots

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 200 lbs

Hair Color: Black

Handedness: Left

Appearance: Pending

Personality: Unusually curious about the world, tolerant and non-aggressive for someone from the military, except when teaching where he doesn’t tolerate slacking. He dislikes people who just waste their time being unproductive or waste time of others. He always seems to be busy doing something, be it physical training or reading books.

Interests: He likes learning and mastering practically anything he can put to immediate use and likes being a tutor to those who he feels would benefit from his knowledge.

History: Serge-Jean’s mother was a refugee from the Duvalier dictatorship in Haiti. She moved to Canada to Quebec City. They had to live in a tough neighborhood in a nearly all white city. Growing up, he was in street gangs, but with the persistent support of his mother, he eventually got out of it and joined the army at the military base in the area. His thirst for practical knowledge and drive to show it to other people made him become a perfect drills sergeant. He recently served in Afghanistan, where his talents were needed to teach the local populace. At his return, he had a strange visitor come by, someone claiming to be his father.

Pantheon: Loa

Patron: Shango

Virtues: Harmony 3, Order 2, Piety 3, Vengeance 1.

Physical: Strength 4, Dexterity 2, Stamina 3

Epic-Physical: Strength 2, Dexterity 1, Stamina 1

Knacks: (Holy Bound, Holy Rampage, Cat’s Grace, Damage Conversion)

Social: Charisma 3, Manipulation 3, Appearance 1

Epic-Social: Charisma 1, Manipulation 1

Knacks: (Inspirational Figure, Overt Order)

Mental: Perception 4, Intelligence 4, Wits 3

Epic-Mental: Intelligence 1

Knacks: (Teaching Prodigy)

Abilities: Academics 1, Animal Ken, *Art, Athletics 3, Awareness 1, Brawl 3, *Command 2, Control (Cars) 1, Craft, Empathy 1, *Fortitude 3, *Integrity 2, Investigation, Larceny, Marksmanship 2, Medicine 1, *Melee 1, Occult 1, Politics, *Presence 2, Science (Computer) 1, Science (Engineering) 1,Stealth 1, Survival 2, Thrown 1.

Birthrights:

Relic 2 (Prophecy, Cheval) – The seers’ boa’s eye almost the size of a golf ball, seemingly made of plastic and used as a key chain. When he removes the key-chain and pops it in his mouth, it becomes a real eye and allows him through a trance to see glimpse of what is to come or go through the minds of others.

Relic 2 (Sky, Frost) – Shango’s Crown, aka Dad’s Beanie. Reshaped as a tuque or beanie, it is colored read and white (Shango’s colors). Interwoven in it can be seen strands of long feathers. It has a fine appearance and looks as formal and casual attire at the same time.

Relic 1 (Justice) – Sjambok of Biko’s blood. Steve Biko was a South African activist against Apartheid who died in prison of massive head wounds. The police claimed he died of a hunger strike. Charges against the police were dropped because of legal manipulation. The sjambok has a constant red sheen as if it was drenched in blood. The handle has the numbers 6-1-9 on it, the same as the police room number where Biko was killed. It is a reminder of the violence made to innocent blood. The sjambok will sometimes bleed after a positive use of a Justice boon. Steve Biko died on the same day Serge-Jean was born.

Boons:

Rada’s Eyes (Cheval 1): Pop the boa’s eye in the mouth while going into a trance.

Prophecy 1: Pop the boa’s eye in the mouth while going into a trance.

Frost Immunity (Frost 1, Ragnarok): Just wear the beanie. No activation.

Sky’s Grace (Sky 1): Just wear the beanie.

Judgement (Justice 1): Hold and whip the sjambok. Doesn’t need to hit something unless desired.

Dodge DV: 5

Parry DV: 5

Join Battle: 4

Soak:

Stamina: 3B / 2L

Epic-Stamina: 1B / 1L / 1A

Armor: Normally clothing for now.

Total: 4B / 3L / 1A

Health Levels: as normal

Willpower: 6

Legend: 3

Legend Points: 9

Movement : Dexterity yards = 2 (3 with Epic Dex)

Dash : Dexterity + 6 = 8 (10 with Epic Dex)

Climb Speed: Dexterity / 2 = 1

Swim Speed: Dexterity / 2 = 1

Vertical : Jump Strength + Athletics yards = 7 yards. 9 yards with epic Str. 18 yards with Sky’s Grace unactivated, 36 yards with Sky’s Grace activated (1L).

Horizontal Jump : (Strength + Athletics) * 2 yards = 14 yards. 18 yards with epic Str. 36 yards with Sky’s Grace unactivated, 72 yards with Sky’s Grace activated (1L)

I did a bit of min-maxing with the bonus points and the epic attributes. Buying the "favored" epic attributes with the bonus points instead.

Cranky Dog

"I have a scion birth opinion, international!"

P.S. Grrr, I typed it in Word and all the highlights and underlines didn't go through.

Birth Name: Amica Mason

Nick Names: Amy

Aliases: Jade Cat

Calling: File Clerk at a Hospital/Volunteer at local shelters

Known Relatives: Conrad Mason, Father; Rose Fredrikson, aunt; Gregory and Tabitha Fredrikson, cousins (Rose's kids)

Nature: Rogue

Nationality: North American

Height: 5' 7"

Weight: 130lbs

Eye Color: Green

Hair Color: Dark Brown

Appearance:

Of average height and weight, Amica has short, dark hair and deep brown eyes that usually have an impish glint to them. Strong cheekbones and full lips give her face a sensuous look. Her physique is sleek and athletic, emphasized by the uncanny grace of her movements. She is fastidious; not always the most fashionable or best dressed, but always wearing clean, well maintained garments.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Personality:

Amica puts out a strong 'slacker' vibe that can be offputting at times. It takes some convincing to get her to start moving, or to put effort into doing something. However, once she starts she hates to stop before the job's done. Her apparent laziness is deceiving as well, as she will expend great energy doing the things she's motivated to do...perhaps it's for that reason that she protects herself by not frivolously picking tasks. Also contributing to that slacker aura is the equanamity with which she views the world. Even strange and bizarre events rarely provoke much reaction from her...partly because of her experiences already, and partly just because she can process those things with great speed, resulting in no visible reaction. This makes her seem very detached and even cynical at times, though also very self-assured. She approaches new situations circumspectly and cautiously, but once she's eased in will take part enthusiastically.

Interests:

Though she's still exploring her interests, Amica is currently very much into 'left-leaning' politics, focusing on issues of social justice and environmentalism...things shaped largely by her past. Despite her interest and passion, she doesn't seem to be much of an activist, choosing to act in her own way in her own time rather than just be another warm body at a protest few will ever hear about. She also enjoys a wide range of music as well as audiobooks...she's not into reading, but likes hearing books read while she does other things or just relaxes. She was on the track team in high school and did very well. She's now capitalizing on her performance there to try to win an athletics scholarship to Boston University so she can explore other interests as well.

Pantheon: Pasedjet

Patron: Bastet

Virtues: Conviction *** Harmony *** Order * Piety **

Physical: Strength ***, Dexterity ****, Stamina ***

Epic-Physical: Strength *, Dexterity **, Stamina *

Knacks: Holy Bound (14yrds high, 28yrds long), Cat's Grace, Untouchable Opponent, Self Healing

Mental: Perception ****, Intelligence ***, Wits ****

Epic-Mental: Perception **, Wits *

Knacks: Predatory Focus (6d+2auto), Spatial Attunement, Eternal Vigilance

Social: Charisma **, Manipulation ***, Appearance **

Epic-Social:

Knacks:

Abilities: Academics *, Animal Ken *, Athletics ***, Awareness ***, Brawl ***, Control (Car) *, Empathy ***, Integrity *, Investigation *, Larceny ****, Marksmanship ***, Presence **, Stealth ****, Survival **

Birthrights:

Relic **: Golden Lion (Purview: Sun, upgraded Acc +1)

Relic *: Bast's Woven Basket (Birthright Connection: Creature)

Relic **: Jade Cat Mask (Purview: Moon, Purview: Animal (Cat))

Creature **: Lion

Boons:

Animal Communication (Animal: Cat *)

Penetrating Glare (Sun *)

Smoking Mirror (Moon *)

Join Battle 7 (+1 auto)

Attacks:

- Unarmed (Light) Acc 8, Dmg 3B, Parry 6, Speed 4

- Unarmed (Heavy) Acc 6, Dmg 6B, Parry 5, Speed 5

- Golden Lion (Desert Eagle) Acc 8, Dmg 5L, Shots 7, Range 50, Speed 5, Piercing

Soak

Stamina: 3B/2L

Epic-Stamina: 1B/1L/1A

Armor: /

Total: 4B/3L/1A

Health Levels:

Dodge DV: 7 (9 w/Untouchable opponent)

Willpower: ***** *

Legend: ***

Legend Points: 9

Bonus Points: 15

+1 Legend 7

+1 Str 4

+2 Birthrights 2

+1 Larceny 1

+1 Stealth 1

Misc. Equipment:

Studio Apartment with basic trimmings (TV/stereo/etc)

Cheap used car

Laptop computer

Cellphone

Digital Camera

Minitoolkit

Lockpicks

Smoke bombs

Binoculars

Mini-audio recorder

Mini-digital camera

- Golden Lion (Desert Eagle) Acc 8, Dmg 5L, Shots 7, Range 50, Speed 5, Piercing
Hah, two of us picked Relic firearms to keep the piercing damage against titanspawn. ::laugh I can picture the meeting between Dick and Amy, and I have a feeling it's going to be violent. ::getsome ::neo

Give us the history on your relics! I want to know what makes your gun special.

OK, let's see if I can follow the formula and write down Dick's posisble attacks.

- Unarmed (Light) Acc 5, Dmg 3B, Parry 3, Speed 4

- Unarmed (Heavy) Acc 4, Dmg 6B, Parry 2, Speed 5

- Stonewall's Revolver (Peacemaker) Acc 12, Dmg 4L, Range 20, Clip 5, Speed 5, Piercing

- Sig Sauer (9mm) Acc 11, Dmg 3L, Range 20, Clip 15, Speed 4

- Sawed-off (shotgun) Acc 10, Dmg 6L, Range 20, Clip 8, Speed 5

- Machete Acc 8, Dmg 6L, Parry 3, Speed 4

- Folding knife (Hadseax) Acc 8, Dmg 5L, Parry 4, Speed 4

Hmm! I thought I had all that written on the sheet.

It's in the background file at least...but the background file is too big to post in one post. Kind of a pain.

The pistol is actually Bast's sistern reshaped. A sistern is an egyptian musical instrument that has strong ties to Bast as a symbol of her in her more motherly/guiding/nurturing incarnation. In a sort of "plowshares to swords" move, Bast transformed it into a modern weapon, to reflect that the times once again demand her to be the Eye of Ra, the warrior and avenger. The days of peace are at an end.

Metaphysician:

I have a question about the Ward boon (Guardian 3). The description says it allows you to specify one type of being (humans, specific titan-spawn, etc) and keep them out of an area (based on your Legend score). Could you use it to keep one in instead? It's not a very long-lasting boon IIRC, and you'd still have to go to the effort to get it inside the area you want and get out before setting the boon. I ask because I'd like to use it this way as part of his story-background.

Metaphysician:

I have a question about the Ward boon (Guardian 3). The description says it allows you to specify one type of being (humans, specific titan-spawn, etc) and keep them out of an area (based on your Legend score). Could you use it to keep one in instead? It's not a very long-lasting boon IIRC, and you'd still have to go to the effort to get it inside the area you want and get out before setting the boon. I ask because I'd like to use it this way as part of his story-background.

My Scion books are buried atm, but while I don't recall that being a specifically allowed usage, I would judge you could probably "stunt" such a modified version.

Meta-doc:

Thanks, that's cool. When I have books in front of me to check out monsters, my plan was to pick something appropriate for Dick's making Legend 4 and then use the Ward to trap it to kill it. That would basically be the last thing he does before the game starts. I might go back and write a few other encounters of his pre-game life.

Archived