Adventure! RPG - GAS OF DEATH

jamescukd

GAS OF DEATH

The Date is 1924 Doctor Henry Harrison, A renowned Chemistry scientist, has recently being ridiculed by the scientific community and branded insane by the British government because of his latest discovery an odourless and colourless never gas that kills in seconds.

He had hope that the gas could be used to make all future wars futile. Instead, he was branded a “madman’ and a “Butcher”. Infuriated at his treatment, Harrison has vowed to show those who mocked him the errors of their ways.

The Thule Society, who learned of his discovery through agents with in the British Government, see the gas as the ultimate weapon that the Thule Society can use in its coming war. Through subtle manipulation by a beautiful agent, they have persuaded the doctor to seek revenge against those who ridiculed him. The death of the entire British government at the hands of one of its own scientists should course enough of a ripple to depower the United Kingdom.

So this is heavily borrowed from another game, i have made slight alterations, like using the Thule Society instead of Nazis like it does in the other game as i want to set the game in the 1920's the current time of Adventure!.

It is the first story that the players will get involved in, they are to become protectors of the Crown and the british empire, but for now they aren't until this story climax.

THe climax of the story will be a battle upon a Zeppelin like from the Rocketeer. But it does seam a bit well pansy and i don't know if there another organisation like the nazi or even Hydra from marvel, a group that is hell bent on destroying the civil world(might no be the best words to use).

The game will become like the League of gentlemen but in the 1920's, as i said earlier they will be defenders of the crown and King.

Any suggestions or help from my ramblings will be of great help

James

(Btw the steampunk idea developed because of whole group just saying why not do pulp as you can sort of include steampunk in there as well so we have more options)

THe climax of the story will be a battle upon a Zeppelin like from the Rocketeer. But it does seam a bit well pansy and i don't know if there another organisation like the nazi or even Hydra from marvel, a group that is hell bent on destroying the civil world(might no be the best words to use).
The 1920's is right after WW1 and Germanies defeat, so it could actually *be* German agents, or someone else pissed that they lost the war. And the Zeppelin idea works pretty well given the weapon, i.e. you need to take huge tanks of the gas up into the air, I'm not sure what else they could use.

The 1920's is right after WW1 and Germanies defeat, so it could actually *be* German agents, or someone else pissed that they lost the war.

The Thule Society is the Nazis before they became the nazi Party. I just wondered if i am being too cryptic for a Adventure! story. Also the SS is active during the 20's i just looked it up on wiki.

But i am really stuck in how to hook the characters into the plot.

The source says that they are at a Cafe in London, all the characters know each other, and they are waiting to meet a friend, James Johnson who has something important that he wants to tell them, something he doesn't want to say over the phone and as James arrives he is gun downed by hired goons to silence him before he can tell the players.

I know it suits the setting, but meeting at a Cafe in London. What do you think? Could it be done differently.

Gunned down in London is *very* aggressive for a society that has unarmed policemen. A lot of the back up hooks will have to be player specific. Dead bodies (relatives?) showing up poisoned and in a river.
London police have not always been unarmed; IIRC they only stopped carrying guns in the last 20 years. However, a drive-by is more definitively American (which might be good if you want a red herring). More appropriate for the setting would be to make it a cold, foggy morning, and have him suddenly knifed by someone walking past (dressed appropriately in gloves, and a low-pulled hat or a scarf blocking their face), and due to the limited visibility, the villain is already out of sight before the PCs can see their contact.

[edit] I read the thread title, and the first thing that came to mind was the Aeon Society sitting around and making fart jokes. [/edit]

I read the thread title, and the first thing that came to mind was the Aeon Society sitting around and making fart jokes.
Lol that made me laugh so much.
More appropriate for the setting would be to make it a cold, foggy morning, and have him suddenly knifed by someone walking past (dressed appropriately in gloves, and a low-pulled hat or a scarf blocking their face), and due to the limited visibility, the villain is already out of sight before the PCs can see their contact.

I love the Idea, but i want the opening to the game to kick of in combat, and maybe a chase through old London town, First of the players have never played Adventure! and combat is always a good way to introduce someone to the system.

Maybe this Unknown villain could use some of his goons wielding knifes all modelled after him Gloves, a scarf blocking his face. Which would allow this Jack the Ripper person to escape.

so no one can suggest anything?

He is the timeline if its uninterrupted

8pm James Johnson contacts Betty Braveheart a reporter for the Daily Mail, and arranges a meeting later that evening

9pm James meets with Betty, and informs her of his boss goings on.

9am An unknown Assailant murders James.

1pm Betty breaks into Harrison Chemical plant.

1.30pm Betty is caught snooping around by Klaus Kuhn.

4pm Betty is beaten to death by Klaus believing her to be a british spy.

6pm The zeppelin is loaded with its deadly cargo of nerve gas.

7pm The zeppelin starts its journey to Central London, its target Parlement.

8pm The Zeppelin arrives at Parlement and starts to assend to a height where the toxin will cause the most harm

8.30pm The Zeppelin arrives at the altitude, and start to unleash the toxin, over the city of London.

1am Everyone within Central London is dead.

Now the first scene i don't like the hired goones

Act 1 Red Fog

Begins Early Saturday morning, Players sitting out side of a café, Heavy layer of fog or pea soup. Let the players Role play for a bit and get into character,

They hear a car pull up, and make out someone getting out of if, successful perception + awareness Its James Johnson.

Before James can get across the road, to the Café a man dressed in a long overcoat, Gloves and a scarf pulled up over his mouth. As he walks by he slashes with a razor sharp razor, an none notices until James Falls over, the sound of feet running towards the café.

About 6 Thugs, two of the thugs have Tommie guns, and two have Colt pistols

Archived