Adventure! RPG - Can Adventure! Be used for Steampunk?

jamescukd

Recently some of my friends have got into steampunk, and well we are looking at posbably setting up a game in steampunk setting, of Skyship captains, things like that, not so much space-ships.

I am starting to really think using the Adventure! system is the best way forward, I have Gurps steampunk and Steam-Tech.

I just think it would work so well. Has anyone ever used Adventure to do Steampunk, Has anyone got any notes on tech that they may have already done.

For it to really be Steampunk, it would need to be set in the Victorian era, which is pre pulp. Leage of Extraordinary Gentlemen, book and movie are good examples of this. Think trains/walkers/mecha/automatons instead of cars. People might still use carriages, or early "steam" carriages. (think Steamboy here as well).

Knacks and gadgets are great for simulating steampunk powers, mutations, and even steam powered cybernetic implants. I like it!

• 1 year later...

Steampunk is totally possible. Just imagine that a Telluric experiment was actually successful at harnessing Z-waves in the 1870's or so and go from there.

You could have ships that sail the Lumeniferous Aether to the Moon or even Mars or Venus (which would, of course be totally different than we know them... think civilizations with canals and such on Mars, maybe some sort of weird Swamp that Time Forgot on Venus...)

Clockwork prosthetics are in use to help people who were maimed in the Boer War down in South Africa.... Heliographs and aetheric generators, man! Rare alloys from Mars that produce ultra-deadly bullets... strange gases from Venus that enslave or enthrall. The possibilities are endless.

Archived