Aberrant: Theomachy - Gameplay Discussion

Blue Thunder

Actually, Sky, it doesn't do all that. In some cases Holographic Awareness does more, and in others it does much less. A better example is the Enhanced Touch enhancement or Hyper-enhanced Hearing with its sonar application. And perhaps the best example is Quantum Attunement, but that is only active on a per turn basis.

However, I believe that BT is hoping for something that is 'elementally-based' and that will provide specific benefits, depending on what 'element' is chosen.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so I've got a power description done, but this site has got that stupid character restriction set and the description is too long about about 400 characters.

I have always hated that stupid character restriction...

Sky tells me that there is a way to use the Edit function to bypass that limitation, but I can't make it work, so I'm not sure how to get around this other than the extremely annoying option of breaking it up into a couple of posts.

Ok, so here's the first part of the post. BT, I'm not all that familiar with the Trinity rules and I don't have the books to hand, so I'm not at all sure how close this is to what you had in mind. Also, as I was writing up the capabilities for the various 'elements', I found that none of them seemed inherently 'better' than any of the others, so I did not put any specific element into its own extra, instead creating the 'Dipolar Resonance' extra that will appear at the bottom of the second half of this post.

Note also that it should be possible to create other 'elements' for this power, as I basically just went with the list that BT used in his post, replacing metal with magnetism (since I couldn't think of anything especially cool for 'metal resonance').

Feel free to offer commentary/critiques as this is what I came up with on my first go-around.

Elemental Resonance

Level: 2

Quantum Minimum: 3

Dice Pool: Perception + Elemental Resonance

Range: N/A

Area: (Quantum + Elemental Resonance) x 5 meters or Special

Duration: Maintenance

Effect: Allows the character to sense her immediate surroundings using the ‘resonance’ of her chosen element upon her environment.

Multiple Actions: yes

Description: By attuning herself to the ‘resonance’ of her chosen element, a nova can sense her surrounding environment with impressive clarity, as well as gaining several other unique capabilities which vary based on which element the nova is attuned to. Provided the power’s element is in sufficient quantity in the nova’s vicinity the nova may sense their surroundings without use of their other senses in a 360 degree arc, out to a distance of (Quantum + Power Rating) x 5 meters, except as noted below. The precise amounts of the element necessary for unobstructed sensing through Elemental Resonance is up to the Storyteller, but see specific elements descriptions below for more details on what should constitute a sufficient amount of a given element. In all circumstances the degree of sensory information provided by this power is quite rough, revealing no particularly fine or strictly visual information, and in no cases should the nova using this power count herself when determining if there is sufficient quantity of the element in the area (so a nova with Life Sense cannot use her own 'life force' to resonate with).

Here are a few guidelines for some common forms of elemental resonances:

Life Sense: The character can detect the relative health, age and vitality of living creatures in her area with a simple power roll. Moreover, the nova may add her dots in this power as dice on Medicine rolls when making a diagnosis of any current afflictions a living creature might be suffering from (the ST should still apply any difficulty penalties as normal). Should the character achieve enough successes on a Medicine roll (in the ST’s opinion), she can also detect old injuries the creature may have suffered from along with its relative severity and general cause (the more serious the illness or wound at the time, the easier it is to detect later). Note that this ability will allow the nova to detect otherwise invisible creatures, as well as those actively trying to hide or who are trapped or concealed behind walls or under floors, etc. As a general rule, one human-sized creature is usually enough to sense with using this power, though the ST may adjust this if the only creature in the area is especially weak or near death.

Bio-Resonance: The character can detect the relative health, age and vitality of plant life in her area with a simple power roll. Moreover, the nova may add her dots in this power as dice on Medicine or Survival rolls when trying to determine if a given plant is poisonous, nutritious, or otherwise (neither touching nor tasting the plant in question is usually necessary for this roll, either). With enough successes on a standard power roll (in the ST’s opinion) the character should be able to determine the relative diversity of plant life within an area equal to her (Quantum + Power Rating) x 2 kilometers, as well as how prevalent or rare a given species of plant is within that area. As a general rule, one full grown bush-sized plant or small tree is usually enough to sense using this power, though the ST may adjust this if the only plants in the area are much smaller than this and/or are very sickly or near death.

Thermal Resonance: The character can detect the precise temperature within her sensory range (this includes differentiating between pockets of warmer or cooler air or liquid within that area), and can also detect the general source of any heat or cooling in the area. This allows the nova to sense most living creatures solely by the body heat they give off, as well as large plants or trees for similar reasons, though this does not provide enough detail for the user to tell similarly shaped objects apart. Less obviously, it will allow novas to detect such things as hidden bodies of water (because of the heat that it absorbs – or, in the case of some springs, gives off), as well as otherwise unnoticeable holes or cracks in a room or cave through which air or liquid enters or escapes (thus taking heat with it or bringing more heat in). In general, being outside on a sunny day provides more than enough ambient heat to sense with using this power, though this will not be the case in especially cold environments (whether because it’s winter, or because that’s just how cold the environment always is). At night, or in especially cold environments, one human-sized living creature will generally provide enough heat to sense with, as will any campfire-sized flames or cauldron (or larger) sized bodies of heated water. At ST’s option, being in the vicinity of especially large or just very hot flames or similar sources of heat may actually increase the difficulties of sensory rolls with this power, as the heat source will act in a manner similar to dense fog or even a strobe-like effect. Also note that targets using Density Decrease at 5 dots, or certain types of Body Morphs will be invisible to this power.

Electrical Resonance: The character can detect any electrical fields (including those generated by most living creatures) in her vicinity, even those that would otherwise be invisible, cloaked or hidden from normal means of detection. The degree of detail provided by this power is quite rough, and is not usually enough to differentiate one member of a species from another or tell similarly shaped electrical devices apart. The nova may make a standard power roll to determine the direction of magnetic north, which will generally grant her an additional +3 dice on all Navigation rolls. When dealing with most forms of living creatures in combat and certain rare gadgets and artifacts, the nova may make a standard power roll to perceive where the flow of electrical current within that creature or device is most vulnerable. Each success on this roll can be added as extra dice on the next Targeted Attack roll against that target. As a general rule, even a mouse-sized living creature or similar is enough to sense using this power, though the ST may adjust this depending on the nature of the creature or device. Also note that targets using Density Decrease at 5 dots, or certain types of Body Morphs will be invisible to this power. Finally, the nova’s ranges for sensing with this power vary as follows: on land or in the air range is (Quantum + Power Rating) meters; underwater her range extends out to (Quantum + Power Rating) x 10 meters; underground range is (Quantum + Power Rating) / 2 meters; in vacuum range is nil.

Magnetic Resonance: The character can detect any magnetic field (including those generated by most living creatures and many kinds of metals and other ferromagnetic materials) in her vicinity, even those that would otherwise be invisible, cloaked or hidden from normal means of detection. The degree of detail provided by this sense is extremely rough, and is never enough to differentiate members of a single species from each other, or even to tell such details as the number of fingers on a hand, etc. The nova may make a standard power roll to determine the direction of magnetic north, which will generally grant her an additional +3 dice on all Navigation rolls. By rolling against a variable difficulty (set by ST, and generally influenced by such things as whether the nova is below ground or underwater or in the presence of an especially strong source of magnetic fields) the character can also determine her relative distance from the magnetic north pole of Gaea). Due to the nearly ubiquitous presence and well-ordered nature of most magnetic fields on most planets, this power will function normally in the majority of situations and environments, though the ST may adjust this in the presence of especially strong or weak magnetic fields.

Emotional Resonance: The character can detect the emotional state of any given emotion-feeling creature within her vicinity, as well as against whom or what the target’s emotions are directed. This does allow detection of emotion-feeling creatures who would otherwise be invisible to normal means of detection. Note that, in general, ‘emotion-feeling’ refers to creatures or entities that are sentient or at least reasonably intelligent. Simple-minded creatures or entities will be limited to equally simple emotional states, and as such do not provide much information or resonance for a nova using this power. When rolling to detect the emotional state of a target, the nova may use any successes she achieves beyond the first as extra dice on her next social roll involving the target, as appropriate (ex: attempting to charm or seduce a target who is currently Berserk is not appropriate, attempting to intimidate or calm them is). The nova can also detect the overall mood of an entire group of emotion-feeling entities as well, and may use her successes to determine what the crowd is most likely to do next, as well as for extra dice on rolls for manipulating the crowd into performing a particular action (rioting, leaving, starting a party, etc). In general, it takes the presence of at least one sentient creature or 2-4 non-sentient but still reasonably intelligent, emotion-feeling creatures for a nova to use this power, though the ST may wish to adjust this number if the target(s) are experiencing emotions that are either very apathetic or very passionate. Targets that do not experience emotions are effectively invisible to this power, while characters with powers such as Psychic Shield with the Emotion Shield extra may resist the Perception + Elemental Resonance (Emotional Resonance) roll.

Air Resonance: The character can detect her altitude and the local air pressure, as well as the direction and strength of any air currents in her vicinity. Likewise, the character can sense the movements of any objects or creatures in her vicinity because of the pressure waves generated by their passage through the air. The details provided by this power are not precise enough to detect truly fine details, but are enough to recognize the general size and shape of objects and to recognize landmarks and the like. When navigating through an environment on land, this power provides 3 extra dice on most Navigation rolls (this benefit does not apply when navigating through the air). The presence of ‘air’ (i.e. anything other than a vacuum or liquid filled environment) in the local area is enough for a nova to sense with using this power, though the ST may wish to adjust ranges and difficulties depending on local wind speeds, the presence of objects such as trees (which blow about in the wind and can confuse air currents considerably), and whether or not a target is moving upwind or downwind of the nova (targets who are downwind will be more difficult to sense, while those upwind will be easier to sense). Targets using Silence, Density Decrease at 3+ dots, or Body Morph: Air (gas) are effectively invisible to this power.

Liquid Resonance: The character can detect her relative depth within a body of liquid, as well as the direction and strength of any currents through the liquid within her vicinity. Size, direction and shape of objects can be readily determined by how much water they displace. The nova receives 3 extra dice on Navigation rolls while underwater (or other liquids), and can easily detect ‘landmarks’ as well. Also, when not in water, the nova can sense the presence of any significant body of liquid within the range of her Elemental Resonance. This does mean that living creatures such as humans can be detected through the use of this power, though this will not provide enough ‘resonance’ for the nova to detect her surroundings without her other senses, but only the creature in question and only if their makeup contains a large amount of fluid. Being submerged in a body of liquid is all that is required for this power to work properly, however at the ST’s option, very heavy rain or thick fog could also allow the nova to sense with this power (though likely at a reduced range or with added difficulties). Targets using Body Morph: Liquid who are submerged in a body of water are invisible to this power, as are targets using Density Decrease at 3+ dots.

Extras: Dipolar Resonance: the character can also sense her primary element’s opposite. Those with Resonance: Air can also resonate with Liquid; those with Resonance: Electricity can also resonate with Magnetism; Life Sense will also resonate with Bio-resonance, etc.

Re: Playing a female: Yes please do! We need more of them as PC's especially if BN has to throw in the towel...

Re: Edit function for longer posts: First post a good chunk as per normal. Then click edit post and cut and paste the rest in. Works for me every time...

Yeah I just woke up at 1AM. I really need to take care of that. I end up sleeping during the aftrenoon hours when you guys are most likely to be available.

But to jump ahead a bit, where will each of you wish to start? And in what situation? Tell me all of this, and then I can start your Prologue thread so we can get moving.

For example Sky's character's prologue will start with him exiting the Underworld portal into Darmathia for the first time. This isn't a flashback though, his character is just going to be new to the Pantheon. Your Prologue should take place soon before the game itself is supposed to start. Maybe a week or month or so beforehand. If you can't think of anything just tell me and I'll come up with something.

And Cottus, if you have any other powers of any kind made up from before you can post them ^_^

Sorry BT, ATM I don't have any other powers made up (that I still have access to). I did have one or two others that I'd put together sitting on my hard drive of my old laptop, but it crashed and burned and took all of its stored data with it.

On a different note, I've discovered that I can merge posts (like the ones for the too-long Elemental Resonance power) using my magical Storyteller powers. Yay!

Expendable, how about something like this for an idea:

One of the Keepers of the Underworld has a set of female novas that are bound to his service. He targets novas who are at emotionally weak points in their lives (or those that just like death) and then binds them into service with an agreement/pact that they cannot turn back on. The Handmaidens of Death are spread throughout the world to carry out basic services for the Pantheons: funerals, cremations, burial services, embalming, mummification, prayers, requiems, eulogies, etc. When novas die their souls go to the Underworld, but when a Handmaiden presides over the funeral service she directs the departed soul directly to the Keeper instead of a random location in the Underworld. The Keeper then gets first claim over that nova's soul, if he chooses to do anything with it. Because of this the Handmaidens' Keeper is one of the most powerful Keepers of the Underworld.

I'm leaning more towards this being a family-sorta job, collecting souls for the underworld.

Yeah, I figure it's something of that sort. It's the "unannounced" part that's got me commenting.

The last few posts from BT have been something to the effect of, "I plan on posting XX number of updates today", or, "I'd like to get player A, B, and C's prologues started, so send me details on that so we can get moving", only to be followed by 1-3 days of little or no activity.

Seriously, I have no problems with it if BT (or any of the players, for that matter) has RL issues that are keeping him from posting on a regular basis. But the mixed messages of posts that amount to, "yeah, let's get this thing on the road!", followed by long bouts of little or no activity have got me confused.

Hence my request for clarification.

((BT, I aint mad atcha! I'm just wonderin' what's goin' on.))

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to BN and Alex about the lack of intro fiction like with the other prologues. I kinda just wanted to get them started. I'll edit one in later for each of you, since I want every prologue to be bookended by some.

Up next are meta and Shade. So I propose:

Meta - I was thinking the prologue could be about establishing your people's new home. It would start with you and your people at their new "home" city which they recently started setting up. The rest of the prologue would consist of you ridding the region of some bandits that have been threatening the area. Sound good? Any ideas you have are welcome.

Shade - I have no idea. How would you like to begin? Also, what kind of theme and flow would you like your prologue to have? Your character is a trickster, so NPC interaction is pretty much a necessity.

Before I get the NPCs thread up (which would have more to it, and better power descriptions), here is a quick reference if you want ideas. Sorry I didn't have this up earlier, considering how important it is.

The Archon (ruler)

Marmir - The Archon of the Pantheon. Portfolio is rulership, authority, strength, mountains, retribution. Marmir has Q8 with the Climactic Supremacy power, but this power affects regions within Darmathia instead of the entire planet. He sits upon his throne and uses this power remotely to punish any uppity regions with droughts, floods, hailstorms, etc. He is also very capable in physical combat, though he doesn't leave his throne anymore. He has an extremely buff body with the head of a bull. He rarely discusses issues with his underlings once he has made up his mind and has been known to go into rages when things don't work out his way. He allows a great deal of in-fighting and bickering to happen within Darmathia as long as outside forces are stopped from invading. There are many novas who feel his hands-off approach and lack of mobility weakens the entire domain, a feeling that is slowly growing greater. He keeps his three wives against against one another so they don't turn on him, and it is rumored he is looking for a fourth wife.

The Imperatrices (singular: Imperatrix, the three wives who form the Triumvirate who are the power players of the Pantheon)

Samaethir - Wife of Marmir. A sun goddess who is also devoted to education, family bonds, truth, honesty, and loyalty. Samaethir leads what is often called the "Heavenly" branch of the Pantheon, which includes novas that share her philosophy. She has Q6 and very powerful light-based abilities. She is popular among the baseline population, who consider her the most beautiful and pure of heart out of all the wives. She has a welcoming personality and a warm smile to underlings, but also considers herself "at war" with the other two wives, who she feels are sinful savages that need to be smited and their novas converted.

Asona Mahea - Wife of Marmir. A nature goddess who is also devoted to health, fertility, judgment, fortune, revenge, and punishment. Asona Mahea leads what is often called the "Earthly" branch of the Pantheon, which includes novas that share her philosophy. She has Q6 and very powerful nature-based abilities. She is popular among the baseline population, who consider her the most honest and well-intentioned out of all the wives. She is ambivalent to the smaller-scale politics of the Pantheon and prefers to see the big picture but is not above crushing anyone that slights her, and she believes the other two wives need to be killed in order for the world to be a better place.

Viatami - Wife of Marmir. A death goddess who is also devoted to strength, manipulation, fear, the afterlife, necromancy, and war. Viatami leads what is often called the "Infernal" branch of the Pantheon, which includes novas that share her philosophy. She has Q6 and very powerful necromancy-based abilities. She is popular among the baseline population, who consider her the most feared and capable warrior out of all the wives. She is accepting of all novas as long as they show her respect, but makes sure everyone falls within her web somehow, and works day and night to undermine the power of the other wives who she considers weak and bound by morals.

The Duces (singular: Dux, the leading generals of the Pantheon)

Ojin - One of the eldest Pantheon novas, who wears a thick suit of armor and carries a massive cleaving blade capable of cutting down a dozen soldiers at once. He lives by a strict code of personal conduct. He is devoted entirely to Samaethir.

Eresin - A god of the night who tends to be more analytical than the other duces. He has a habit of considering others expendable in battle and will do anything to insure victory. He is devoted entirely to Asona Mahea.

Anashatala - The newest Dux whose bloodthirst on the battlefield is already the stuff of legend. She does not tolerate weakness or cowardice in combat. She is devoted entirely to Viatami.

Others

Phyremus - The guardian of Silgaea city. She carries out punishments on those that break the law.

Cirnace - A god of thieves and potions who is also the praetor of Lichiduum. Unpopular with the Pantheon.

Shoya - A fertility goddess and daughter of Samaethir and Marmir. She has numerous daughters, who she uses to marry off to baselines and novas in order spread the Heavenly branch's power.

Steume, Heryadu, and Nolesa - Three serpent brothers who serve under Anashatala.

Khaosammu - One nova that has two bodies. One body is a mother and the other a daughter, yet the daughter is also the mother of the mother in a strange paradox. She (they?) represent eternity and cycles. Time manipulator.

Ishteros - A god of love. He is extremely popular with baselines. He carries a bow whose arrows can cause targets to become lovestruck. Shuns clothing.

Foreign

Nabananke - The leader of Sile Amune's government. A seer and legendary inventor responsible for many advances in the crafts of war.

Nertartaral - The leader of Sile Amune's armies. A massive grotesquerie that is feared by his neighbors. Brother of Nabananke.

Can we get this in an NPC thread now? ::biggrin

Hey BT, I've got a quick correction for you:

((We'll go ahead to Cibura. K doesn't have any super-speed to get him there quickly aside from Enhanced Movement + Wings, but he doesn't need to sleep thanks to Adaptability so that helps. The trip takes almost two days, unless you decide to detour or rest. Since Wings go at walking speed you'll be going at x4 your walking speed while gliding and using Enhanced Movement.))

This is incorrect, unless you're changing the rules for how Wings works. According to the Core book, Wings lets a character fly/glide at the character's Run speed, not at their Walking speed.

In dragon form, Kalakutesh's Movement Ratings are as follows:

Run: 114m

Sprint: 216m

Flight: 114m

With his movement enhanced, his speed is as follows:

Run: 456m

Spint: 864m

Flight: 456m

The quick conversion from meters to kilometers is to multiply your character's speed in meters by 1.2, which yields:

Run: 547kph

Sprint: 1037kph

Flight: 547kph

So Kalakutesh does in fact have super-speed. His combination of Growth and those non-canon body mods that he has give him a very high base movement rate when in dragon form. In fact, he can fly at 142kph without activating any enhanced movement, and sprint at 249kph. So he isn't slow.

Just for added reference, in human form his movement rates are as follows:

Run: 42m/168m

Sprint: 78m/312m

Flight: N/A

So as you can see, he is much slower as a human, but still not "slow", even then.

EDIT: Made a quick adjustment to his listed speeds in KPH, since I messed up the math the first time and somehow wound up with an extra 21kph on his run/flight speed that came from god-only-knows-where. It's fixed now.

No worries, BT! Kalakutesh's movement rates are a pain to figure out, because of the combination of Growth (which adds dots of Dex for determining his speeds) and his non-canon body mods (which, combined, triple his base movement rates when he's in dragon form - for those of you who're curious - he loses one of them in human form, leaving his speeds at x1.5 base rate) and his Runner merit (which further increases his speed by adding an additional x1 to the formula for determining speeds - so Run is Dex x2 + 12m, and Sprint is Dex x4 + 20m). The end result is that figuring out his final speed is like solving a math problem in school.

Also, note the Edit that I made to the post, above. I did some bad math on his run/flight speed when I multiplied by 1.2 and wound up with extra KPH in there somewhere. So his run/flight speed is actually 547kph - which is still pretty damn fast!

Hey BT, you may want to edit your post, and then make a new relpy to mine in the prologue...you neglected the fact that Dray is going to have on average 8 successes to defeat any attempt at telepathic contact, and he has no reason to trust anyone enough to willingly let them in. Furthermore if someone did succeed, and didn't have surrepititious, they would be swiftly cut down, since uninvited telepathic contact is considered an assault by most sentient beings...

And now to figure out who Trigon's father is. Alex, did you want me to make him up, or did you?

Also, gonna handle Draygos' reply next but first: gonna eat.

And a question for Shade: how does your character's weird bargain power work again? I got the general idea, I don't wanna get it wrong when you start...

Basically a few powers, like dominate are triggered if the target breaks the contract. He drafts a contract that they sign, and enables the powers to function if they don't fulfil their bargain. If they do, they are not harmed and can keep any gifts and fortune...as long as they last.

The actual contract is merely a thing. It was just a cool flair I thought. He has skills that make him draft real good ones.

Does that help?

Basically a few powers, like dominate are triggered if the target breaks the contract. He drafts a contract that they sign, and enables the powers to function if they don't fulfil their bargain. If they do, they are not harmed and can keep any gifts and fortune...as long as they last.

The actual contract is merely a thing. It was just a cool flair I thought. He has skills that make him draft real good ones.

Does that help?

I imagine he might do things like Ursula from The Little Mermaid, or Nicodemus from The Secret of Nimh...a magical parchment unfurls into the air, a magical feathered quill alongside from a spray of golden motes. A jar of ink floats there and the pen scralls out the terms of the contract, the letters alighting from glowing gold. Finally, a line appears with an x and the parchment and quill land softly in the hands of the unfortunate soul... ::laugh

Also BT, I hope I didn't come off too harsh in rebuffing the telepathy. It's literally in his nature though to push against those kinds of thinigs.

Also BN, if you could pick a different name than Hephaestus I would appreciate it. No historical names or figures was one of the first rules BT posted and it keeps taking me out of the game in terms of imagining this unique setting. I don't want to keep feeling like I am in Ancient Greece. Thanks.

Also BN, if you could pick a different name than Hephaestus I would appreciate it. No historical names or figures was one of the first rules BT posted and it keeps taking me out of the game in terms of imagining this unique setting. I don't want to keep feeling like I am in Ancient Greece. Thanks.
Done, whineypants. ::tongue

Archived