Aberrant: Theomachy - Gameplay Discussion

Blue Thunder

Also, apropo of not much, a little compare and contrast. Unlike the rest of you, I haven't defined a clear origin/birth for my character, linking him into a divine ancestry. Or even a clear moment when he ceased to be a mortal and became a god.

This is intentional. Like the Norse that inspire this, the Men of Iron do not view the gods as ineffable distant figures. Strictly speaking, you might argue they do not believe in 'gods' at all, per se, but rather in heroes and legends. Their memory of the First Gods, and how they choose to view them, is as heroes, wizards, tricksters, monsters, giants. . . but such are found amongst mortals as well. A weak 'god' or a great 'mortal'. . . the Men of Iron see little difference. Sure, the 'god' does not age, but that only matters if you live long enough to age, and there are threats enough in the world that time is the least of them, for men and gods both.

Basically, the Men of Iron don't view their novas as a distinct category, but as just another part of the spectrum from average mortals to inspired heroes to full blown nova demigods. They tend to live amongst mortals in whatever social role they embrace, whether as ruler, warrior, smith, or sage.

As for where they come from? Well, the Men of Iron claim that they are all descended from the Men of Legend. Who knows, they may be right. . .

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's funny...I was just talking with Shade about how to build a geasa trype power for one of his concepts. My suggestion is Dominate or Hypnosis with the Reflexive extra and some finagling with the ST to make it work properly.

A few other things,

1. is that both of my concpets are wanderers, rather than invested but they can be swayed...which brings me to:

2. MPs characters sounds very moral which is fine but BT did say that we could explore more than just the do-gooder side. However I would strongly suggest we discuss that as well to get on the same page enough to have a cohesive game. Just like with table talk lets talk out how we can see our characters fitting together so we don't have to spend forever IC just arguing about goals and such or just as bad, "forcing" our characters to work together in some implausible way just to keep the story moving. Not saying we all have to be best freinds but a general idea of how to create a cohesive story would be nice...kinda how we worked things out for Prometheans Unbound...a little bit of prep work can lay a much stronger foundation for future stories.

3. I want to remind everyone of a couple things, opne that we are not supposed to use any actual names or mythic figures (:cough:Hephaestus:cough:Fenris:cough:) and the second that according to BT the only way novas are born is from two Nova parents. That means that the giant serpent and the water goddes that sired Kalakutesh must actually be novas that live or lived somewhere rather than true actual limitless primordial forces. The way I handled this with Magnarok (I love that name!) is that he was sired by two Nova parents but they created him outside of what mortals consider sex (Like Wonder Woman's birth). And also, Hestia is considered a "giantess" (and she really is a giant) but she is actually just a form of Nova or "god", as is Grymphyr, though he may have a similarly permanent bodymorph.

Which also compells me to say, for some reason I much prefer in this setting calling them "gods" or "Olympians" or something rather than the catch all "Novas". In this respect I like the Men of Iron's perspective which makes us godlings more like individual unique creations rather than a "race" per se as it stands now...

Re: Fenris- :-p It can be adjusted.

Re: Ancestry- I missed that bit, though I was planning on having Tiwoz's ancestry be vague. Of course, you now just gave me a bit of an idea ( though if I go with it, 'Woten' is *definitely* the name of the guy who slaughtered Fenris. . . ).

Re: Naming- Well, I assumed different societies in the world would have different conventions of naming, I used "nova" as a shorthand. In my background's case, the Men of Iron don't really have a distinct name.

That said, I was operating on the assumption that the setting has, in addition to true nova demigods, also inspired-level beings and various types of miscellaneous uncategorizable weirdness. If the distinction is and must be starker, than I'll have to revise some.

Now that I have approval I'm gonna start puttin together my character- I'm thinking less of a physical sort since we already seem to have some tanks and there's no way I'm competing with a dragon, elemental man and a mecha. I'm thinking of a prodigal son wandering adventurer/thief type but I'm not completely sold on whether I'd have him be in his young, traveling stage or he's returned home and has some power in his pantheon, but has the yearning for adventure and wanderlust. If being in the latter position would help provide some stability for this cast of outcasts and wanderers that we have here, I'd be willing to work with BT and help gather our group together.

Anyway, I'm gonna do some thinkin, but if you guys have any thoughts, I'm definitely open to them. Aberrant isn't a game I have a ton of experience with, so I might ask for some help and suggestions as I create my guy.

Sorry, I didn't get scared off. But those sentries in 2Fort won't sap themselves.

Geis:

Sounds like it would have the Trigger extra from the Teragen book built into it.

A bit on the Pantheon:

The Pantheon has a very large domain which stretches a massive distance. So far I'm intending for most of it's land to be wilderness, with cities dotting the domain. The domain is split into various regions, and every region has a nova lording over it like a governor. But any nova living in the domain must be recognized by the Pantheon. There will be at least 40 novas in the Pantheon.

I already have a capital city, the Pantheon's ruler, and several random NPCs created to help start things off. I'll post some stuff soon. Any regions you guys help create will be under the Pantheon's authority but with the way I have the Pantheon set up, as long as a region respects the Pantheon it can continue with it's life.

As a twist, we'll be in the southern hemisphere...all the cold areas will be to the south.

You guys don't have to work together. You could all do solo adventures and it would be fine with me. That was how I was going to run this initially anyway. In fact, when we start, maybe our introductory games would all be solo games so we can establish our characters.

A bit on the Pantheon:

The Pantheon has a very large domain which stretches a massive distance. So far I'm intending for most of it's land to be wilderness, with cities dotting the domain.

That sounds perfect. Historically most of the seriously big ancient cities have been coastal ones.

I have a name: Tridon (i.e. Tri[dent] + [Posei]don ). With that as a name I think I have to be one of non-identical triplets. And he's definitely going to have some mega-socials (takes after his mother... with Aphrodite as a mom I don't think I can get away from having mega-app).

I'm seriously considering have him literally walk naked out of the water in the first post... maybe carrying a box of sunken treasure.

Anyway Tridon was raised by his father (a great warrior) and his wife (a former hand maiden of Aphrodite). After the fate goddess said her first born was half mortal Aphrodite blew up and threw out the goddess before a review of the other two. She then tossed out her mortal lover and his children. He (and everyone else) saw it coming... Aphrodite burns through lovers pretty quickly.

It's worth pointing out being the half mortal bastard son of a god is only a step down compared to being a full god. Socially it's still a step up from being mortal.

I'm curious ... a Champion (as per the background) gains quantum powers and megas, potentially (depending on background enhancements) on a level of novas.

So doesn't that mean that Champions can breed true with novas?

I bring it up because, if novas can only get pregnant from other novas, half of our backstories don't work unless the 'mortal' lover was actually a Champion. After all, it doesn't say that the Champion's gifts can't be revoked.

I bring it up because, if novas can only get pregnant from other novas, half of our backstories don't work unless the 'mortal' lover was actually a Champion. After all, it doesn't say that the Champion's gifts can't be revoked.
I think that's "can't be revoked by the Champion". The god can still cut the cord.

As for the "mortal" lover, if you mean me Aphrodite's triplets had different fathers.

Here's my mythological origin story for my character so far. This hasn't been approved yet, so some or all of it might change.

Centuries ago, when the time of peace that followed the Second Gods' exile from the Heavenly Realms came to an end, there was a great war between gods and demons (OOC: two different pantheons actually, but it’s understandable that those worshiping the one pantheon would consider the other to be 'evil' and 'demonic'). The gods defeated the demons soundly at every turn, as was to be expected, until the demon lord concocted a powerful and dark curse that robbed the gods of their strength and virtue. Thus weakened, the gods were no match for their vile enemies and were forced to flee from them wherever they met.

In desperation, the gods sought out the mighty Kalakuta, the Great Serpent who surrounds and protects all of creation. Kalakuta took pity on his fellow gods and gave them sage advice. In his wisdom, Kalakuta knew that the best way to defeat the demons was through diplomacy. So he traveled to the Heavenly Realm of Ankutar, wherein was found the sacred Mount Mandarkut, and that mountain he lifted up from its place by his great strength and power and returned the way he had come.

Having returned to Gaia, he hefted the mountain over his right shoulder like a mighty club and began his journey into the far Westerly reaches of the Middle Realms, and the sound of the passage of Kalakuta, the Great Serpent, with the holy mountain of Mandarkut slung over his shoulder in the manner of a mighty club was as the sound of earthquakes and many thunderings in the hills and in the valleys. And the people hid their face from Kalakuta and trembled in their homes saying, ‘Surely this is the end of days! The Old Gods have returned, and in their wrath they will cast us all into the Outer Darkness!’ But the Kalakuta passed them by, paying them no heed, and his shadow as he passed was as the eclipsing of the sun.

After many weary days, when the holy mountain was becoming heavy on even the mighty shoulder of the Great Serpent, Kalakuta finally arrived at the Outer Waters, which is the realm and providence of Anmu, She Who Remains. The Kalakuta spoke with her of his people’s plight and explained his plan to her. Anmu listened and was well pleased with the Serpent’s cunning, and so she granted his wish that he be allowed to dip the holy mountain into her waters and churn them thereby. And Kalakuta took up holy Mount Mandarkut and with it he churned the Primordial Waters of Life, so that by their mixing he might produce Sweet Nectar with which to entice the Demons and negotiate a peace with them. For the Nectar would grant immortality, and it would do more besides, wherein would be shown the great cunning of Kalakuta, and his mighty power.

And with holy Mandarkut the waters were churned, and from those primordial depths there arose the Lotriya, the true Nectar of Immortality, and a again there arose the Walotriyit, the false Nectar of Immortality, but after both of these there arose from the waters Kalakutesh. And the gods were amazed at Kalakutesh, for he emerged from the foam of the waters full-formed and undiminished in his power, and the Demon Lord’s curse could find no hold within him. So Kalakuta praised the sacred waters of Anmu for their life-giving properties, and the Mother herself he praised for her great beauty and power, and tender looks passed between them, and Kalakutesh looked on.

But the cries of the gods in their suffering carried even to the far Westerly reaches of the Middle Realms and Kalakuta knew he must heed their calls or suffer defeat at the hands of the Demon Lord and his children. And so the Great Serpent bid farewell to She Who Remains and then, taking the Lotriya and the Walotriyit and calling newborn Kalakutesh to himself, he left the misty shores of the Outer Waters and began the long journey back.

And as they left the young dragon, Kalakutesh, listened to the sounds of the waves upon that Outer Shore and his heart was turned in that direction, and ever after the yearning for the waters of his youth and a love for the breeze that blows across the waters was in his heart. But his eye turned towards the heavens and the clouds within, and there he longed to play – for are not the clouds the waters of the sky and the winds like the currents of the sea? And Kalakutesh is thus always conflicted within himself, desiring to dwell in the heights and the depths in equal measure.

Many more days passed again, but the Kalakuta was no longer burdened with the holy mountain, and the dragon was newborn and did not yet know any weariness within himself, and so they were not tired upon their return but rather they were angered at the destruction and suffering that laid upon the people and upon the land by the demons in their absence. Kalakuta hurried to rejoin his brethren and upon finding them he told them of his deeds and explained to them his plan, whereupon the gods praised the might and cunning wisdom of the Great Serpent and bowed low before him, and Kalakuta was well pleased.

Bearing the nectars of the Lotriya and the Walotriyit, the gods therefore took themselves to the place where the demons and their Lord dwelt and there sued for peace with the demons. The demons were ill-disposed to make peace with the gods, knowing that the Demon Lord’s curse was still upon them and that they were powerless to defeat them. But then the Great Serpent stepped forward, unbowed by the curse and unafraid of the Demon Lord’s power, and with him came Kalakutesh, who had hidden his true form in the guise of a champion of the gods. In the hands of each was held the Lotriya and also the Walotriyit, and when the Demons saw those Nectars of Immortality they desired to partake of them greatly. And the Great Serpent explained that they had come to sue for peace with the Demon Lord and his children, and to drink with them the Nectars of Immortality, as was fitting for gods to do.

Then, still hidden within the guise of a champion of the gods, Kalakutesh stepped to the fore and held forth the Lotriya, the true Nectar of Immortality, offering it to the Demon Lord and his children. Meanwhile the Kalakuta, the Great Serpent, staid back and made to offer to the gods the Walotriyit, the false Nectar of Immortality. But the Demon Lord was offended that he was being served by a mere champion, while the gods were being served by the mighty Kalakuta, the serpent who surrounds and protects the very worlds themselves, and stepping down from his hellish throne he demanded that he and his children be served by the hand of the Great Serpent, or there would be no peace and the gods would fall then and there by the hands of the demons.

So the Great Serpent offered up the Walotriyit to the Demon Lord to drink of. But the Lord of the demons was still not appeased, and he demanded of the Serpent ‘How then shall I know this Nectar of Immortality, which thou hast obtained from the furthest Westerly reaches of the Middle Realms by thy great strength and cunning, how then shall I know that it is as thou sayest? How then if it is poison and I drink of it, sharing it willingly with mine own children? They shall then perish and I with them! Therefore call forth your champion that he might drink from the nectar of the Walotriyit, proving thereby that it be safe to partake of.’

And Kalakuta made as though he were deeply offended by this, while in his heart of hearts he smiled. Nevertheless, he took the Lotriya Nectar from Kalakutesh and gave it then to the gods, giving the hidden dragon the Walotriyit Nectar, which is a false nectar of immortality, and demanded that he drink of it. Kalakutesh took the false nectar from his sire and, in full view of all the gods and the demons of the Middle Realms, he drank thereof. And from it he took no ill-effect, seeming only to become more like the gods with each sip, for he is Kalakutesh, whose strength was undiminished from the first and within whom the Demon’s Lord curse could find no purchase, and the poisoned nectar of the Walotriyit could not harm him.

But the Demon Lord was fooled, and he took from Kalakutesh the Walotriyit, and drank from it deeply, afterwards sharing it willingly with his children. Meanwhile the gods had partaken of the true Nectar of the Lotriya, which can rejuvenate even gods and break even the curse of the Demon Lord.

And then was shown the cunning wisdom of Kalakuta, for the Walotriyit was a false nectar, and its effects were poisonous to the demons and their Lord, turning his own curse back upon him and robbing him and his children of their strength and power. Feeling its effects within them the demons were afraid, for they knew the end was upon them. And with a mighty shout Kalakuta and Kalakutesh and all the gods descended upon the demons and their Lord and slew them all. Not one did they allow to live, and in that day the underworld was full to bursting with the Demon Lord’s children, so that the Lords of that dark realm were troubled and cast dark looks upon the realm above.

And before he was slain the Demon Lord looked in amazement upon Kalakutesh in his disguise as a champion of the gods, and he exclaimed in wonder ‘I and all mine children have drunk from the Walotriyit and it hath stolen from us the very powers of our godhood! How comes it then that thou, a mere servant of the gods, hast not been unmantled and thy power removed from thee, in the manner mine own children, and to myself also?’

In answer Kalakutesh only smiled and spoke not a word, for he is Kalakutesh who was undiminished and full-formed from his first day, who made a gift of strength to himself so that none might take it from him or claim it as their own. Then the Sleeping Dragon let slip his guise of champion and took again his true form, that of a mighty serpent of Gaia, and he leapt upon the Lord of the demons and slew him there at the foot of his own throne. Then he and all the gods gave thanks and offered praises to Kalakuta, the World Serpent, whose cunning and wisdom is without equal in all the realms since the departing of the Old Gods.

That sounds perfect. Historically most of the seriously big ancient cities have been coastal ones.

I have a name: Tridon (i.e. Tri[dent] + [Posei]don ). With that as a name I think I have to be one of non-identical triplets. And he's definitely going to have some mega-socials (takes after his mother... with Aphrodite as a mom I don't think I can get away from having mega-app).

I'm seriously considering have him literally walk naked out of the water in the first post... maybe carrying a box of sunken treasure.

Anyway Tridon was raised by his father (a great warrior) and his wife (a former hand maiden of Aphrodite). After the fate goddess said her first born was half mortal Aphrodite blew up and threw out the goddess before a review of the other two. She then tossed out her mortal lover and his children. He (and everyone else) saw it coming... Aphrodite burns through lovers pretty quickly.

It's worth pointing out being the half mortal bastard son of a god is only a step down compared to being a full god. Socially it's still a step up from being mortal.

Need to come up with a different name than Aphrodite...even if we all know the inspiration, this setting's version will still be distinct from the Goddess we all know and lust...

I'm still pending my final decision on which PC to choose. And then once that happens I need to go over some details with BT first. I know Cottus sent his in but BT hasn;t been on, likely stuffing himself on Turkey and the blood of his enemies in Team Fortress 2...

Okay, back and about to go through my PMs.

Hrmm...I'm thinking that in the case of Champions, perhaps they could help bear a nova child. They're all quantum-y and stuff. So I'll allow it, for the sake of the story.

If you guys have questions I didn't answer by mistake, please ask them again ^^

Excellent background Cottus...

I shall but under the circumstance that you give it some kind of general purpose. Most oracles in myths usually foretell doom but then there seem to be some that foretell of good fortune, or who advise leaders on war- and state-related matters. Some predict important natural events like earthquakes and floods. What is your Precog for? This isn't a restriction, just a story/theme issue.

I shall but under the circumstance that you give it some kind of general purpose. Most oracles in myths usually foretell doom but then there seem to be some that foretell of good fortune, or who advise leaders on war- and state-related matters. Some predict important natural events like earthquakes and floods. What is your Precog for? This isn't a restriction, just a story/theme issue.
Hmm ... I'll have to think on it a bit. IIRC most oracles would give personal fortunes/futures, but for a cost/sacrifice. I'm leaning towards personal visions of the futures of those around her, in exchange for a sacrifice of some kind of mechanical gadget built by the person asking.

Yes. After hearing all you guys speak, I think this is a good approach, but tell me how you all feel:

M-Str back to 5 auto successes to damage

Double all Health levels (except Dead)

Novas have their natural healing times cut in half

I still think that doubling all health levels is a bit much, but not enough to debate the point.

Don't Novas have their healing times cut in half anyway? Or more if they have Mega-Stamina? IIRC, healing times for novas gets divided by (2+Mega-Stamina).

I'm with BN...it makes hls gained from other sources less special. Better to have stamina levels of mostly dead or incapacitated. If we do double hls then we should double them across the board for things like growth...otherwise its not consistent why a tiny god would have so many but a dragon god like : who is so much bigger would only have a fraction more. Overall though I like the idea of more hls better than increasing soak...

More health levels makes Growth *more* useful, not less. You're less likely to kill yourself with it. Granted, it does mean the bodymod is less useful... but no one is forcing you to buy it and we've already reduced the price a lot so if you want to buy more you can.

Don't Novas have their healing times cut in half anyway? Or more if they have Mega-Stamina? IIRC, healing times for novas gets divided by (2+Mega-Stamina).

Yes.

of course that doesnt apply to Cottus or I since our giant characters are pretty much permanent...

and it still doesnt addres that if normal health levels are doubled that should go for super giant things too. I also think that if you have growth 5, Mega strength should go past 5 but thats a seperate gripe...

of course that doesnt apply to Cottus or I since our giant characters are pretty much permanent...
The point still stands. Further, the other alternative rule adjustments are probably things you'd dislike more.
and it still doesnt addres that if normal health levels are doubled that should go for super giant things too.
Not really. Gods have 14 health levels. Champions, monsters, and other creatures that could have growth, start with 7. Extras have 4.

Yeah, I don't think that Growth, M.Stam, or Xtra Body Mods should double either. That just seems like too much to me.

On a related note, I also tend to agree that Growth should continue to give benefits beyond Mega-5 as well, because right around Growth 3 or 4 characters become heavier than they can lift, even at Mega-Strength 5. Which is kind of silly - your giant, super-strong nova character weighs more than he or she can reasonably lift - basically they're just a normal person aside from the fact that they're 50-100 feet tall.

However, my thought was that, once Growth pushes a nova's M.Str past 5, it should provide 1 level of the Lifter enhancement, rather boosting Str to Mega-6 or something. That way the nova's lifting cap (should) stay ahead of their own body weight, and they're still "mega-strong", but not unreasonably so. But, it's not really an issue for my own character's build at this point, and might never be, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Hrmm...I'm thinking that in the case of Champions, perhaps they could help bear a nova child. They're all quantum-y and stuff. So I'll allow it, for the sake of the story.
I suggest the following:

God+God => God (always)

God+Baseline => Super-Baseline (always) (A few extra points doesn't make a 'Demi-God').

Super-Baseline + Anything => SBs reproduce as normal baselines.

Champion + Anything => Unclear. The majority of the time (i.e. more than 90%) Champions reproduce as normal baselines. But sometimes they reproduce as gods (so +baseline => SB and +God => God). (If they reproduce as true gods 100% of the time then it's far too easy to *make* gods).

RE: Questions (about Champions)

1) Do they get a free enhancement with their first dot in a mega?

2) If "no", then can they buy an enhancement without the associated mega?

3) Do they age? If not, then would Adaptability change that?

I suggest the following:

God+God => God (always)

God+Baseline => Super-Baseline (always) (A few extra points doesn't make a 'Demi-God').

Super-Baseline + Anything => SBs reproduce as normal baselines.

Champion + Anything => Unclear. The majority of the time (i.e. more than 90%) Champions reproduce as normal baselines. But sometimes they reproduce as gods (so +baseline => SB and +God => God). (If they reproduce as true gods 100% of the time then it's far too easy to *make* gods).

This sounds good to me. Basically, the non-divine children of gods are inspired-level in some way. Though I would say that if a super-baseline reproduces with another s-b, you generally get another s-b. Also, more distant ancestry can produce s-b, occasionally, if you have s-b ( and implicitly gods ) in your ancestry on both sides.

This helps as it lets you populate the world with more weirdness and challenges, without having to over expand the number of full on gods. Need a meddling 'sorcerer' whose taking control of a town from behind the scenes? If they don't need to be a direct physical threat, they can be an inspired mortal with inspired level mental powers and high mental and social stats. Need a tribe of wolf-shifters? Well, an ordinary animal form and high physical and perception stats fits the range of an inspired. That kind of thing.

Hmm ... I'll have to think on it a bit. IIRC most oracles would give personal fortunes/futures, but for a cost/sacrifice. I'm leaning towards personal visions of the futures of those around her, in exchange for a sacrifice of some kind of mechanical gadget built by the person asking.

Sounds good to me.

I forgot about nova healing rates already being reduced. It's been a while hasn't it? Hehe.

RE: Questions (about Champions)

1) Do they get a free enhancement with their first dot in a mega?

2) If "no", then can they buy an enhancement without the associated mega?

3) Do they age? If not, then would Adaptability change that?

1 - Yeah, I should not that. But it has to be one that YOU have.

3 - They age as normal (unless some odd enhancement for keeping them alive appears later on), Adaptability wouldn't change that.

On Health Levels:

Double HL will apply just to base HL. That is, you start out with 2 of every HL except Dead.

On Growth:

It should also start to affect Dexterity as you get larger because your body has to deal with more wind resistance.

Archived