Aberrant: Theomachy - Theomachy

Blue Thunder

Yay, a forum. I better get the Backgrounds up...

Re: Attributes and NP:

You make a good case. Alrighty then, 1NP = 3 Attribute dots, the default. I'll make the changes.

Re: Mega-Strength and soak:

It's intentional. I want survivability to be greater than lethality. The characters are supposed to be able to take a lot of punishment without dying. The Weapons background helps balance things since I assume most physical fighters will end up taking a melee weapon of some sort (now that they are setting-appropriate). I'm going to ask Sprocket if I can borrow his melee weapons list from The New Flesh, because it's pretty extensive...melee weapons do help a lot with damage. Some of the Weapon enhancements are fairly brutal too, and one even adds to auto damage. And then there's Claws. I'll have them up soon ^^ I swear it.

Oh and forgot to mention this: the Puny Humans rule is in effect. That's the one where mundane attacks don't even roll ping damage at a certain point.

Re: Nova Resistances:

Invulnerability: Poison sounds like it would work.

Re: Throwing Ability:

Tossing boulders (and people) is covered by Might, but what about throwing weapons like darts/stars and grenade-like objects? Melee? Athletics?

Anyway, gonna start making some new threads soon...

If he were just reducing M-Str, I'd agree, but he's reworked the entire system and systems balance as a whole. Things to consider...

1) The number of novas running around with Mastery is going to be a lot higher.

2) Eufiber is gone. Even with Quantum partially replacing it soak has probably gone down, not up.

3) The characters are immortal... maybe literally. I.e. you kill me and that just sends me to the underworld for a bit.

4) We have pervasive ST intervention on character development. Building that killing machine might/will be a lot harder than you expect.

5) Given the nature of the game, it's likely that our level of power is more or less equal to the size of our cult (i.e. to grow one is to grow the other). Ergo a solitary character by definition could be a weak one... (and or they get less experience (see also 4 above).

6) You're right to a degree, i.e. M-Str characters got squished a little here, but so did a lot of other characters. Everyone has soak against aggravated attacks, Disin really took it on the chin. On the other hand Mega-Str bricks in the generic setting are pretty much king-on-the-hill without Mastery (which is extremely rare). They could lose a lot of ground and still be a solid character.

Tossing boulders (and people) is covered by Might, but what about throwing weapons like darts/stars and grenade-like objects? Melee? Athletics?

Yeah. Melee and Athletics. It's odd a major league pitcher isn't using athletics or dex (in every level lower than Pro the pitcher is normally the best player because he's the best athlete). For that matter it's odd that throwing darts doesn't use dex, or that throwing a hatchet doesn't use melee (i.e. the skill that measures how skilled you are with a hatchet).

We have the throwing skill because someone wanted a "new" skill for strength and they couldn't think of any obvious ones. It's a solution in search of a problem since we already had skills which do everything it did.

Shotput is might (strength + might).

Knives are melee and dex.

And if Quicksilver gets in a dart throwing contest with the Hulk I expect Mega-Dex (and not Mega-Strength) to carry the day.

Yay, a forum. I better get the Backgrounds up...

Re: Attributes and NP:

You make a good case. Alrighty then, 1NP = 3 Attribute dots, the default. I'll make the changes.

Re: Mega-Strength and soak:

It's intentional. I want survivability to be greater than lethality. The characters are supposed to be able to take a lot of punishment without dying. The Weapons background helps balance things since I assume most physical fighters will end up taking a melee weapon of some sort (now that they are setting-appropriate). I'm going to ask Sprocket if I can borrow his melee weapons list from The New Flesh, because it's pretty extensive...melee weapons do help a lot with damage. Some of the Weapon enhancements are fairly brutal too, and one even adds to auto damage. And then there's Claws. I'll have them up soon ^^ I swear it.

Oh and forgot to mention this: the Puny Humans rule is in effect. That's the one where mundane attacks don't even roll ping damage at a certain point.

Re: Nova Resistances:

Invulnerability: Poison sounds like it would work.

Anyway, gonna start making some new threads soon...

Awesome! Thanks, BT, this addressed all of my concerns very nicely.

Throwing: just use the rules from A!, they cover things very well I think (although Alex makes a good point about using melee for some things).

Archived