Life sucks

BlueNinja

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm waiting on my very, very thin chance to stay in - the results from the September advancement exam. Everyone was expecting them to be out already ... and they're not. ::glare Hopefully I'll know on Monday.

If I will be getting out of the military (as I sorta expect) then I will attempt to start back up Trans-D, completing episode 9 via large infusions of Handwavium and seeing who wants to get back into it.

If I'm staying in, then I'll be going out to sea (off and on) starting as soon as the week after New Years, so no gaming for me then.

May I be so forward as to ask which would you prefer? I may be wrong but it almost sounds to me like you are sick of the Navy jerking you around, and that on some level you would like to be free...

Though I can understand, especially with your family, that a steady paycheck is nice and job-hunting sucks... ::sad

May I be so forward as to ask which would you prefer? I may be wrong but it almost sounds to me like you are sick of the Navy jerking you around, and that on some level you would like to be free...

Though I can understand, especially with your family, that a steady paycheck is nice and job-hunting sucks... ::sad

I'm ambivalent ... I don't really want to have to try job-hunting with the economy the way it is, but at the same time, I am halfway sick of the military and very sick of this particular command and the people in it. ::glare

Sorry to hear that BN.

Honestly, I can't say I am sorry. Not to sound insensitive or be a dick but I have heard the horror stories of how awful the Navy treated you...and you are not the first friend in that esteemed branch of service to have told me such tales. Good Riddance I say! One door closes that another may open and I have faith that you will get a FANTASTIC opportunity in the private sector.

And also, as much as job hunting does suck, isn't a relief to finally just know? I don;t know about you but the agony of ambiguoty and just waiting to find out kills me...

On a completely different note ... I don't know why I was ever convinced that Washington state would be a great place to live. It has not gotten about freezing yet today. 30F outside.

I'd type more, but I'm afraid my fingers might fall off before I can get home!

Sky: You asked on IM how I could be stuck in limbo ...

Unofficially (phone call with the person who decides such things) I have the green light to re-enlist.

Officially, the notification of this (which I need before I can do the paperwork and make arrangements) won't come out until the second week of January. ::glare

So, I'll keep looking for a job, and see if I can find a job that I can live with at somewhere definitely hiring, and let you guys know more as it happens. In the meantime, I PM'd BT about Theomachy.

• 1 month later...

So ... yesterday, the official message was supposed to be out today. Today, the official message will not be out until next week.

Why, you might ask? (If you're not, I already did.)

Well, there's about two dozen other people who, like me, are days away from their get-out-or-reenlist dates. The Navy has delayed official word for over a month because they haven't figured out a good way to break the news to the people who they don't want to stay in. ::glare All this week, I've been a slim margin away from saying "Fuck it all" and walking anyway, and this is not helping. The only thing holding me back is the well-grounded fear that I won't be able to get a job if I do.

'Course, I'm writing up the paperwork to start terminal leave anyway. At this point, I can't afford to wait on them any longer.

The message came out on the 16th. I will be staying in (not because I really want to, but because I can't afford to get out without a job already lined up) but there were at least four other people at my paygrade in the same situation I was in who got told "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out." All in all, a pretty miserable situation.

I did seem to have internet access while out to sea this part period, though it was sort of slow. That might change when we're more than twenty miles off the coast, however.

As of yesterday, I have another two years of employment with the US Navy. Not really out of a desire to stay, but a desire to have a home and money. Madcat: Thanks for the offer, I'll probably look you up in about 18 months or so to take you up on that before my time comes round again.

• 2 weeks later...

Not my field anymore, but a tech with a good clearance might be able to find something with one of the National Laboratories.... I only dealt with Los Alamos (NM) and Lawerence Livermore (CA), but a fair number of the people I met who weren't PhD's (and some that were) were ex-military.

Archived