Aberrant RPG - Cattle Call for Aberrant Writers!

Sprocket

For those of you with an interest in contributing to Aberrant: The New Flesh (EON's upcoming Mega-Physical ebook), here's your chance. As of this posting, only two parts of Chapter Two (what one could call Aberrant: Combat) are still being worked on. I've got the section on combat styles taken care of, but my limited knowledge of guns is just not up to the task of writing the expanded firearms listings we were hoping to include. What's more is the fact that no one else available on the Development Team AFAIK has such knowledge either.

Originally this was going to be written by archer21, but it seems his RL circumstances have made that impossible. If anyone is both willing & able to take his place & write up the expanded firearms listings, they're welcome to post here, hopefully with examples of what they'd produce.

Below is the fragmentary unedited material that archer21 wrote for us before disappearing on us. It makes for a convenient bar to measure your material by, in any case.

Revolver: The first modern handgun, these firearms are generally considered outdated by the newer magazine-loaded pistol, but still have advantages of their own. They're still readily available on the streets of most modern cities; in both light and heavy varieties. Light revolvers are usually small and light enough to be easily carried and concealed. Lacking the capacity of magazine-loaded pistols, most revolvers are limited to 6 shots maximum.

Optional advantage for STs: Revolvers can be fired repeatedly even while hidden in a pocket or beneath layers of cloth, such as a towel held over the hand. The moving slide of pistols negates the possibility of doing the same after the first shot is fired; limiting similar use. Revolvers also don't

Common calibers: .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum

Pistols: Modern pistols have overcome early jamming problems and nearly replaced their predecessor, the revolver. A standard sidearm among law-enforcement officials and military forces. Pistols come in light and heavy versions, just like revolvers. Light pistols are generally smaller and in a lower caliber, and are more easily concealed. Heavy pistols usually use a larger caliber, with a frame to match, and are therefore more difficult to conceal.

Optional advantage for ST's: Pistols use a single magazine instead of separate chambers to hold ammunition internally. This makes a pistol easier and faster to reload, allowing for an exception to standard rules for reloading. Pistols can, at ST discretion, be reloaded twice as quickly as normal, allowing for two reloads in one full turn.

Common calibers: 9mm, .40 caliber, .45 ACP

Light Rifle: Often referred to as a carbine, the light rifle shines at short to medium range distances. Typically utilizing a smaller caliber than it's larger brother, carbines are still remarkably effective for both hunting and combat situations. Their shorter length and lower weight make them much easier to carry, and since very few use the bolt-action common on heavy rifles, carbines also allow for a faster rate of fire. The most easily recognized light rifle is the lever-action, short barreled carbine common to the Old West, such as the Winchester 1894. A second very popular carbine is the AR-15, a semi-automatic version of the U.S. military's M4.

Optional advantages for STs: Carbines are also easily found in pistol calibers, such as .357 and .44, allowing users to use a single type of ammunition for both their pistol/revolver and carbine. The longer barrel of the carbine allows for higher damage output and farther range than the same caliber in a pistol or revolver.

Common Calibers: .22, .223, .30-30

EDIT (09/21): Due to the general lack of response (or activity to speak of) here at EON, this will be reposted at RPG Post in hopes of getting some (hopefully serious) replies.

Well, I wouldn't call it a "supplement chapter" - we're not expecting the section (if written) to be all that big. But thanks for the reply, anyhow.
Everything I know about guns I've gotten from RPGs and video games.

How close to real-life accuracy are you really trying to get, considering it's for a universe with vitrium, hypercombustion, and terraforming?

Everything I know about guns I've gotten from RPGs and video games.
Add in a slew of action movies & your knowledge will match mine - which isn't much! ::laugh ::tongue
How close to real-life accuracy are you really trying to get, considering it's for a universe with vitrium, hypercombustion, and terraforming?
We're trying to keep it as close to RL as possible. All we're trying to do is expand on the tiny snippets of info for firearms given on p. 275 of the Aberrant core book in the most plausible manner possible, and that's difficult for the firearm-ignorant such as myself.

Firearm-related superscience can be hand-waved as needed, really, so it's not a problem.

Thanks to a very kind person (unconnected to the Development Team) by the handle of "Irioth", the preceding call has gone out to RPGNet as well. The thread is here.

It has been my great pleasure, Sproket. Even if I know zero about guns, I really wish this book to be completed ASAP. I've greately appreciated previous ones, and I'm really fretting to get New Flesh.

Echade in the rpg.net thread has asked me to forward you this message:

Hey Sproket,

I wouldn't mind possibly taking a swipe at helping in the development of the mega-physical books.

I can't seem to get on the eononline forums though to even send messages to anyone.

I can take a crack at the firearms... while I don't have complete personal knowledge of every gun out there, I can reaserch well enough.

Drop me a reply here... or Echade on the eononline forums (I need an admin to approve my registration)

Thanks

It has been my great pleasure, Sprocket. Even if I know zero about guns, I really wish this book to be completed ASAP. I've greatly appreciated previous ones, and I'm really fretting to get New Flesh.
Not a problem, although we'll still have some delays due to the (few) art pieces & the PDF formatting.
Echade in the rpg.net thread has asked me to forward you this message:
If Echade is legit & can provide expansions of the basic firearms listings as seen in the "Cattle Call" post, I don't think we'll have any problems. It's really the data we need, as we can easily flesh them out into listings (commentary & editing).

AFA Echade's troubles in getting registered here at EON, that's very odd. JC was certainly quick to renew his ownership of the domain name. Did Echade follow the instructions correctly & everything?

OTOH, how sure are you that Echade is legit, & not just another spammer looking for a forum to infest? EON seems to be a popular target for that kind of vermin.

I've been active on RPG-Post for about 18 months now and can't remember Echade posting much if at all, so the chances if him being a spammer are slight in my opinion. Having said that I can't get onto RPG-Post this morning to check how long he has been a member....

Re: Situation update-

Echade is legit and has submitted his first batch of material for the Firearms subsection, which I'm currently editing & will post for peer review on the project forum. Thanks again to Wanderer for the referral. ::thumbup1

Archived