Aberrant RPG - Technophobic

BlueNinja

I had forgotten just how bad my mom is at anything to do with computers or technology in general. Seriously, I don't know how (or if) she programs a VCR to record shows, much less accesses her voice mail for her cell phone. So: new flaw. Good for Aberrant, or Trinity I suppose.

Technophobic (4 pt Flaw)

You just don't have what it takes to function in the wonders of electronic civilization. Whether it comes to programming your OpNet connection, accessing the latest cool games and texting on your mobile, or just programming that old VCR, you're hopeless. Your character cannot start with any dots in Computers or Engineering, and buying them with experience costs you double. In addition, the Storyteller may add a difficulty of +1 or higher to any tasks requiring you to access, activate, or maybe just stand next to an electronic device with more than one button. This flaw is not for characters who simply didn't grow up exposed to electronics, but rather those who just seem utterly incapable of getting it.

Looks good AFAICT, but something along that line may have already been written up in either the Hunter (oWoD) Players Guide and/or whatever Orpheus (also oWoD) book had merits & flaws. (My copies of both are currently in storage, alas. ::tongue )

Also, you might want to make this a variable-cost flaw to reflect the fact that some folks just take longer than normal to adapt to using new electronics. I'm a little that way myself - I do well enough w/ most new gadgets, but attempting to master using my latest cell phone has been a real pain in the ***. ::brick

If it is really a phobia, there should be some kind of extreme fear reaction...
Can't say that I've ever had a fear reaction towards new electronic devices. Frustration yes, fear no. In that case, all that's needed is to rename the original flaw idea.

Archived