Why do you like A! Ab and T?

knave

Which game do you like the most?

Why? Do you like the Power options, the world, the system? Do you like playing someone world shaking, flawed, interesting?

What kind of game do you like the most? Politics? Social? Combat?

What's the most interesting character you've played or seen / read played? Why?

A definite tie between Aberrant and Trinity, I have played and enjoyed both equally. I have not played A! though...

If I had to choose, and there were no ties...I guess I would choose Aberrant, just because I have played more in that setting.

Why? Do you like the Power options, the world, the system? Do you like playing someone world shaking, flawed, interesting?

I like the ability to customize that you don't get in Trinity as much, the more human aspect that Aberrant has over other Supers games via the metaplot. The ST system further boosts my opinion, (I HATE, H-A-T-E level based systems) which allows a gradual increase and further customization of your character.

I almost always choose to play someone flawed at least a little, usually something about me or someone I know blown out of proportion a little to make it more of a 'character'. I generally don't like playing the world shakers too much, by the time characters are on that level of play, it becomes too challenging to give characters something that makes them work and strive and appreciate the victory.

The best game would incorporate all three to some degree instead of centralizing on any one.

If we are limiting ourselves to the Aeoniverse, then I suppose the most interesting character I played would be my first Abby char. Jack Flattery, aka 'The King', A garbage man turned nova with disintegration, immolate and flight that turned his victims into piles of horribly rotten garbage. He was a member of The Judges, a nova merc team that promised to clean up any mess that was brought to them.

The game was run with us only having half-read the rules, so he was a quantum 6 beast. He always jumped into battle with his Dickies coveralls and a steel garbage can lid screaming, "The king is here!" This was also the game that someone decided to play Bruce Campbell as a nova with clone. (think like Evil Dead...all the 'mini me') ::blink It was campy, we broke lots of rules, we laughed till we couldn't breathe, lots of fun. ::wacko

I'd say I like Aberrant best. While it has its flaws, its points of excessive darkness, and other White Wolf-isms. . . it is, I think, one of the best super RPGs in existence. In particular, the whole early period strikes me as perhaps the most realistic iron age portrayal of supers in a realistic setting.

The fact that, unlike almost all other supers RPGs, Aberrant lets you really feel superhuman, all the way up the scale, helps. I'm not sure any other system covers high end supers better, except possible M&M 2e.

I too like Aberrant the best. Partly yes this is because of the customization. Psion powers, like Vampire Disciplines et al., are essentially static. Each dot up gives you a specified ability that is defined and works a certain way. However with a nova I can take two character with essentially the same power build and have them be utterly distinct IC. One character might have retractable talons, while another summons an energy blade. Psions come from someone elses imagination while Novas are only limited by my own creativity.

The other half of why I like Aberrant better is that I feel it is more relateable. This is partly why I think Trinity didn't do so good...It is such an amazing original setting..almost too original and I feel like people can't relate to it as much. Also it was almost too big...too open and too much going on, without clear foci for players attention, which means alot more work up front for the ST. In contrast, Aberrant is pretty much our world, with the changes wrought by novas easily summarized and understood.

My second choice is Adventure! because I really have a gooey soft spot for Pulp. I love Pulp. Unfortuantely A! games have been few and shortlived. Still waiting for Shade Senitnel to come back and restart our game...or even Blue Ninja for that matter...

A mix of the three is ideal. Action scenes spice things up and give opportunities to show off, but the thing that keeps it interesting is the way the characters interact and play off each other socially. Not as big a fan of politics, but if it is compelling enough and serves the story I would enjoy it. For example the politics of the Teragen/Aberrants are facinating.

Gawd, do I have to pick just one? There have been so many memorable Novas both played by me and others.

My own short list:

Esteban. He was my first "wish fullfillment" character. To have such senses and be so invulnerable and be able to take on any shape, no more eating drinking or sleeping. Just to be able to take on wings and fly...as per my sig down there.

Envy. He was just freakin' awesome. Great powers, and an even better story. I am still proud of the twist to Teras that I instigated and the Prometheans faction for which I came up with the name and concept for. Im still sad our ST disappeared on that one.

Frag. A revamped version of my rejected character Mob Rulz from Potts staled XWF game. He is the Ultimate XWF character in my opinion. He has clone and shapeshift, so he can become lots of different XWF characters and even fight himself sometimes. Alot of the time he just does jobber work impersonating mitoids because he has a quantum feeding addiction. He is also, apprpriately masochistic. Oh yeah baby, hit me harder! This lets him sell his characters really well and he is loved within the organization as a team player, but almost unheard of by the public since he doesn't use Clone as a power in the ring. However he is behind many of the Marks most beloved heroes and villains and they have no clue its all the same guy.

Cody: While not my outright favorite character per se, the game he is in is so awesome and he plays such a great role within the party that I have had a great time with him. At this point I have played him so long he is quite powerful. His original concept was a "dark telepath" meets psychic commando idea. He has a really awesome armor device, lots of great psi powers and over 100 years of in game history. The coolest thing about that game is our sentient time traveling, cross-time travelling starship.

Ricochet: I haven't started Rorx's game yet, but I have had variation of the character in my head for some time. This is now the definitive and best version IMO. The way his powers and aberrations and eruption and flaws all interact is so seamless to me that the character just has so much integrity. I am looking forward to telling his story.

Nightmare: Another character concept I have had running aound in my head for some time. I recently submitted him for approval in a high pwered open forum style game and he was outright rejected. The only truly evil character I have ever made and he was so deliciously over the top. He is a terrble boogeyman of a nova. he can get inside your head, teleport, grow and shrink in size, is utterly hideous to look upon and has such lovely aberrations/flaws as: Phobia: Crucifix, Allergy: Holy Water, Feeding Requirment: Dreams, Black Thumb, Sadistic, Sheer Hideousness, and the like. Oh yeah and he was Q6 and had Disintegration+ Mastery reduced to touch range. It was defined as he could literally eat through anything.

The mods of the board were afraid that such an evil character (He stalked children, giving them nightmares over days or weeks before finally devouring them...never babies though, since they had to be old enough to cognitively understand their fear) would incite PvP antagonism. And they were even more afraid that with such a destructive offense (even Hardbody Novas would be largely f***ed) that he would kill other characters when they hunted him down (He wouldnt have really since with Intuition, Teleport, Mirage, and Shrinking he was pretty much too slippery to ever catch). Anyways...he was my attempt to show some other players who were ostenisbly playing Terat Harvesters what a real demented harvester should really be like. I took the kid gloves off hard core. At first I was pissed but Cottus convinced me that I should take it as a compliment that I made him so utterly evil that it freaked the mods...heh ::devil

The Fool: *Sigh* I miss this one. The ST had a fit and banned/killed the character. He was just too awesome. A precog and a demon in combat, he was like a force of nature. He was so much fun to write for though and so creepy. he could walk on any surface like an Escher painting, balance on the smallest point, knew what was going to happen, especially in combat before anyone else did and had a penchant for talking in rhyme, sometimes freefrom and sometimes in iambic pentameter. The ST told us to make the ultimate Assasins and I did. But I did it too well. I picked the two powers (unknowingly) that would break his story so we nerfed him...and he still broke the story. But he still gets mentioned in the game so I think he made an impression and I had a blast really cutting loose on the creativity and personality.

Adventure!:

Li-Shen Long. Awesome Mesmerist. Made the most powerful TK I could with the starting rules, made him filthy rich and a magicioan and then had an amazing over the top backstory where the half Indian/half british rich kid, gets advanced surgery and reinvents himself as an Asian sorcerer/demon. Oh and he had a giant black tiger who wore armor similar to the Lion in Brotherhood of the Wolf. Dug that shit man! BN if you're out there, we want more In Search of Inspiration. Or at least I do. I bet I could get Phoenix to come back for that one... The great thing about him was, like the Fool, I slipped into character so easily, and it gave me a reason to be truly flamboyant in a way that wasn't cheesy.

Other players character I have loved:

Off the top of my head so don't feel bad if you are left out. you know I love you!

Cannibal Bob/The Colony. What can I say? The concept and execution was pricelees. Actually pretty much every character in that game was exceptional. Even the NPC's...

Kazuo: Cottus's old character from Nippontai found new life on NPrime. I love the way he writes. Honorable Mention: the many forms of Ghuo Zhenglai.

Tannin: Another of Cottus's creations. Whats not to love about a Q6 Nova who erupts as an honest to god Dragon? Brilliant concept and even better execution.

Mouse: I miss Expendable... ::sad

Any character played by Heriatge and any main NPC played by Prof Potts.

And so many more and this is just within the Aeon Setting. I'm going to call it here though because I've been typing at this post long enough. No don't cry. I love you. I really do. ::sweetlove

Only fair if I answer my own questions.

Trinity. It all started with Trinity for me. It's a game where you can be pretty much anything from a down and out slummer who is lucky to have shoes, to a scientist making giant space robots. Some people find that intimidating, and I can understand that, but to me it's paradise. The sad fact is though that I've very seldom played the game - I GM for the most part. My variant freeform system means any psion can do pretty much anything within their aptitude's remit - with varying success based on mode level.

The other thing I really love about Trinity as opposed to Aberrant is that it really encourages you to play as a team - not because your powers are limited by aptitude - but because the bad guys are scarier than your worst nightmare and because the fate of the human race is at stake.

Characters are more interesting to me than powers. Don't get me wrong - powers are fun - but in the end it's about facetime. Sometimes I'll play a character and slide right into his mindspace so effortlessly and just know that he deserves his spotlight.

When i GM I love it when I get a sense of player enjoyment - and that generally comes from accomplishment and camaraderie (Trinity over Ab again) rather than the exercise of power.

So - Trinity - the world with the multitude of setting options, the group dynamics, the fact that what the characters are doing is so often massively important (drama)

Yes, all of these elements are important, but I think it's important to know why the characters are fighting - risking their lives.

I take a lot of pride in making a villain that the PCs can hate, or love, or be manipulated by; maybe even mentor. Relationships are everything.

Being pretty much a career GM, strangely enough it's probably The Samurai in Q. Zero Elites. Why? Well, probably because in a world of Killer Novas he was probably the closest thing to a normal person there. I made a conscious choice when I created him to go Spiderman - to let people into his head, to know what he was thinking and feeling, and I think it really worked quite well. He could have been 'cooler' if he'd been a bit more taciturn, but he wasn't - he was an open book - full of very human fear and doubt.

Otherwise I've pretty much loved nearly all the characters in Prof's games - both PCs and NPCs. Some of them have done priceless things. Some mega-intelligent ones have done truly bone-headed things, and I think in the end that's led me to the conclusion that Abbies are so powerful that for the most part they forget that they might need to work together.

This is actually hard, despite what I may have said in various posts.

The game I love the most, depends on the mood I am in. In a way its Aberrant, but sometimes I love the cocnept, the setting and the rules of Trinity more. And it can occasionally be Adventure! because that game has a rocking cool concept.

They all call to me, but in different ways - the powers of Aberrant, the characterization of Trinity, and the interesting methods of operation of Adventure!

I will say that I love the internal metaplot of each game, when you do not take into consideration the other games. In other words Trinity works very well for me only when I am thinking about Trinity and not about how much was lost in Aberrant. Adventure! does not have the same thing, as its kind of self-contained in its setup.

On power levels, yeah, I love world shattering epicness. Its why one of my most favorite games is Exalted, with a huge love of Mage - also White Wolf Games.

What I don't really like playing is flawed heroes. At least, not in the sense of a in-game mechanic that makes all characters flawed. For example, I dislike the Great Curse and I despise Taint, I really do. In that I like Trinity the best because the Psions do not have to worry about a morality or corruptive aspect to their characters.

But then again, Trinity also has the concept of a single Aptitude, which i something that I don't think of as that fun. Still, the game is enthralling and calls to me with great story, setting and rules.

I dislike combat, at least I never wish to play in combat-heavy games. To me politics and social are pretty much the same and very enjoyable to be in. So yeah, I like the more social of games, in which I can debate, discuss and all that. It is similar to what I like in books and whatnot, which is probably why I like it so much.

Well, the most interesting character I have seen is Divis Mal, he is completely awesome. As to play, I am mostly the ST, so there are really no characters that stick out at me. Imperos, for the current game I am in, seems an interesting socialite character with great potential.

As to watching other people play, I like the more mental characters to the physical characters. I relate to them more and thus they hold my interests more.

Might as well toss in my two yuan... ::laugh

It'd have to be Aberrant, hands down. As others have said, it's a system that AFAIK does the best job of allowing your characters to feel truly superhuman. The setting's got a little too much White Wolf Angst & "Metaplot of Doom", but I'm cynical enough to see it developing naturally due to basic human nature (or what currently passes for it). The lack of power splats makes for a freedom AFA character concepts that I've not seen outside of GURPS or the late BESM gameline. It also struck a nice balance between depicting high-caliber superbeings without going for the four-color route or other aspects of "comic-book thinking".

The one best thing about it is that in-game, there are ways to avoid most of the oWoD-style Angst imposed by the metaplot if one thinks it through for a while. OTOH, the Angst & "Metaplot of Doom" are always there for those who became addicted to it from playing in the oWoD & simply must have it.

Adventure! is second, for many reasons. It's an excellent system to play pulp adventures (no pun intended), and captures the pulp genre quite well. I'm also a big fan of backstory, & Adventure! provides that in spades.

I felt that there were some good things in Trinity (i.e. the Upeo wa Macho, notes on nova colony worlds & the general speculations about the whole society of 22nd Century Earth), but it felt way too constrained. Power splats, overarching conspiracies one could almost never escape... it kind of came off as a fusion of low-powered science fiction and film noir AFAICT.

See above for the "reasons why" bit. Ditto for "world-shaking" characters. AFA flawed and/or interesting characters, I try to make all my characters that. Writing their basic concepts as comedic characters instead of the typical "player's ego substitute" helps a lot with that. (See The Comic Toolbox by John Vorhaus for further details.)

That said, I really didn't like the way Taint was imposed on all 1stGen novas. It makes perfect sense in-game, but the element of "no matter what you do, you're inescapably going to wind up as either a corpse or something uber-disgusting out of the Cthulhu Mythos" without mentioning better ways to remedy it was a critical oversight.

Depends on the ST & the scenario, really. Done well, all three can be lots of fun. Otherwise, not so much.

I'm not so much interested in an individual character as a pair of the minor nova factions: The Daedelus League and the Protectors. They are both of interest for the extreme impact their efforts will have further on down the Aeon Continuum's timeline. The Daedelus League is also interesting since I'm a space-exploration fan. The Protectors I find interesting in how they managed to baffle the Directive AFA their long-term goals for so long. Reading the listing for the Protectors in the Directive sourcebook had me LMAO. Talk about having tunnel-vision... ::laugh

Adventure!

I like the infinite importability. I have not found anything that I can't import into Adventure!. Once I jettisoned the Z-Ray thing, I was left with a set of Knacks with limitless versatility. Four characters can have Reptilian Regeneration and one can have it because he has alien physiology, one has nanites, one has alchemical potions, and one is a mutant. Characters can be magical, scientific, cosmic, or whatever, and it all fits under one system.

A little of each, with plenty of room for characters to show off whatever they're good at.

I'm pretty fond of all the characters that my players have run, although I have a special fondness for Toné "Big Air" Black, the exxxtreme athlete/supermodel ("He's so hot right now!") who was as handsome as could be and as dumb as a post. The player played him dumb, and not with that situational stupidity that too many players have in which the character is dumb but only when it's not important or dangerous. No, Toné's stupidity got him in serious trouble several times, including the time he seduced Baba Yaga's robotic daughter.

Trinity, hand's down (with all due respect to the other two games).

The system has it's good and bad points, most of which are shared with other WW games (although I do like that 1's don't cancel successes like Vampire, as it suits Trinity's more upbeat atmosphere), but overall is good. No, I mostly like the setting, which, for how superficially constraining it looks being with only a few colonies, alien species, etc. (I"m used to much bigger SF games: Traveller, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.), it has nigh infinate depth in those parameters that we haven't found any near of end to after over 6 years of (not quite consecutive, but cummulative) playing of one game (that's right, still the same one as we started way back when, that's the kind of momentum it's had for us). And even though we've taken breaks for various reasons (like work, or too many other games, etc.) we always come back to this one.

But why? The universe just seems so set up for adventure. I mean, every book is dripping with adventure seeds, places to go, antagonists to fight, etc. And all the things that are left to be discovered, changes to happen, etc. I've never seen a game like it. Maybe more of the modern ones I haven't checked out (I have tried to stop buying RPGs about 2001 since I have so many and some still haven't been played yet, or played much) have this too, but none of the others I've played have. There is a feel of "the march of events" as well as social forces pushing and pulling people (e.g. the PCs) in all sorts of directions.

I also have to agree with Knave about the breadth of characters (since anyone can become a psion!), and the excellent team-building. Virtually every other game I've played or run had the hassle of mis-matched PCs who don't know each other and may not even like each other. In Trinity, I just plop all them down at a table with a Trinity rep, who hands out an "assignment", and they go do it. Simple as cake. It's never been that easy for me, ever. Of course, after 6 years the PCs in my game are so tight now that they feel closer than family, which is helpful since they are pretty much at odds with everyone else by now!

Oh yeah, I did start another Trinity game with a slightly different group of players, fresh, no additional points, like the game just came out, started with Darkness Revealed, had just as much of a blast as with the super-close, bazzillion xp characters. I just love this game!

Aberrant I tried to stay away from since I'm not much into supers games, which lets face it, are typically munchkin games, and I prefer more heady stuff. I did end up buying it so that I could make better antagonists for my Trinity players, and after a "what the heck" session of making some characters with my friends, we actually tried the game since we liked the characters so much. Yes, WW (as usual) did a phenomenal job (depsite the problems) with that game and made it more fun than typical supers games. It's not all bright and shiny "super-heros vs. villians" but more "all shades of grey" and the typical WW moral "where do you stand?" and have to role-play to find out. It's still not as fun as Trinity for me since I'm such a SF geek, but it was fun too. To show my point about what I like to play my character is Q1, with no powers save 1 bodymorph no one can see (redundant organs I think?), and just megas + enhancements. I made him all mopey-goth, kinda Crow like. He isn't flashy, but subtle and shadowy and I've been loving him. He'll get some powers when he grows up, mostly mental ones though. So all in all, Abs is great game for the genre, but the genre doesn't appeal as much as Trinity.

Adventure I similarly stay away from because, and despite I'm sure it is of excellent quality for the genre, again the genre doesn't really appeal to me. For whatever reason the more in the future something is, the more I like it, and the more in the past it is, the less I like it (generally). Although I have to admit that what Arcanum_V said:

Four characters can have Reptilian Regeneration and one can have it because he has alien physiology, one has nanites, one has alchemical potions, and one is a mutant. Characters can be magical, scientific, cosmic, or whatever, and it all fits under one system.

Is the first time I've felt a spark of interest for the game so really it comes down to my simple ignorance. But even if I end up playing and loving it, it will never be Trinity. You never forget your first love. ::tongue

I agree with others that between those three a good mix is important, and for long-running games an occasional change of tone is refreshing too. Our Trinity game started out very action-adventure, moved toward thriller (harboring a chib, tisk-tisk!), did a few games of intense soap-opera (as said chib knocks up one PC's daughter, while the mother sleeps with her daughter's ex-boyfriend; I love female players! ::lol ) and back again.

But for me, the best element in a game is the mysteries, dicovering things, figuring things out. And not just "whodunnit", but big-cosmic-earth-shattering consequences-type mysteries. Like the Trinity metaplot, and indeed most of the setting. Each new revelation inspires deeper dread of the future and thus more motivation that something needs to be done. (Small note that I actually had one Joycean PC that was so powerful she "learned too much" and kinda went mad. Really her concerns were prefectly justified, but I had to have her put away because she was going to break open the meta-plot way earlier than I wanted, and she already looked like a ranting loon to the others anyway, so that was an easy sell. Well, except for her player though.) The ultimate in this type of thing for me (not a game) was Neon Genesis Evangelion. If you've seen it, you know what I am talking about. Origin and fate of mankind wrapped up in two 14-year-old children? Fantastic!

And really, that's one of the things I like about Ab over other supers games. I like the conspiracies. I like the "people you thought were good guys may not be so good and the bad guys may not be so bad" kind of grey-area, messing-with-your-head kind of thing even more. ::devil

Awfully big question for an already large post, so I'll try to be brief. But there are so many! My players and I have come up with such memorable characters that that has been a good part of the draw of the game for us. So I have to mention a couple because I can't pick just one from them. In Trinity, my GMPC Liam. Kind of a "what if I was born in Trinity" character, but inflicted with LAO, and lucky enough (heh heh) to have become a QK. Why? Normally harmless kid forced into the most extreme circumstances (order purged, 10 years solitary confinement by unknown parties), has a disease that his powers can counteract, but doing that makes him more detectable to those who want to kill/capture him. He's wrapped in myseteries, enigmas, and conspiracies (see above). I've gotten so many good stories out of him it's crazy. Oh, and ok, I'm a bit of a QK nut, if the avatar didn't give that away. ::tongue

One NPC that was a favorite to all my players was Tiren Toncryph, our team's muzzien clear. Not for his powers or anything. It was partly his charisma, everyone just seemed to like him. He was the eternally nice guy. Optimistic, friendly. He could make friends anyway. But also it was his wayfaring lifestyle. No home, little money. Just went wherever he felt like it, whenever he did. Said he was "following the currents and gyres of the universe". This often meant getting the party into trouble when they followed him, but always a great mystery revealed in the process. I don't know, it's hard to describe. You'd have to actually experience him for the full effect. He was just such a well done character like doesn't happen all that often.

And one honorable mention has to go to another clear: Traci Naaktgeboren. Bubble-headed ISRA VK party-girl from the Netherlands. Seldom has a clue what's going on but often just "ends-up" with a critical clue that the other PCs missed, not knowing what she's got. Very well connected though. Good for keeping the player's in stitches. Classic quotes:

Trinty Rep: "This meeting is secret. How'd you find out about it?"

Traci: "Someone at my order told me about it."

Trinity Rep: "Ah, so he was a clairsentient then."

Traci: "Quite possibly."

Trinity Rep: "So then how'd you find out where I was?"

Traci: "Oh I just went to Trinity and asked them there."

Trinity Rep: "So you were sent from Neptune then?"

Traci: "Oh no! <laughs> I'm from Earth."

And I already mentioned my Abby PC, so I won't go into him. I do love him though.

In Trinity, my GMPC Liam. Kind of a "what if I was born in Trinity" character, but inflicted with LAO, and lucky enough (heh heh) to have become a QK. Why? Normally harmless kid forced into the most extreme circumstances (order purged, 10 years solitary confinement by unknown parties), has a disease that his powers can counteract, but doing that makes him more detectable to those who want to kill/capture him. He's wrapped in myseteries, enigmas, and conspiracies (see above).

Looks like Liam is getting new life as an actual (not GM) PC over in Stepping from Eden! Gratz! ::happy

Looks like Liam is getting new life as an actual (not GM) PC over in Stepping from Eden! Gratz!

(assuming that the game actually gets going...)

Yeah, sometimes a character works out good enough that you end up transplanting him into other games. Heck, sometimes they even make it to other rpgs!

• 2 weeks later...

I love all three for different reasons, Trinity for its amazingly detailed setting and emphasis on teamwork, Aberrant for its flexibility and fearlessness in exploring what superhuman beings might really be like, and Adventure for the sheer joy of invention. I think I've had the most fun in Aberrant games, but some of that is just becuase I've played them more. Hmm, any openings in your Trinity game, Knave? ::wink

I think I tend to prefer using Aberrant powers in other settings, hence my running War Journal sort of between Aberrant and Trinity, as well as my excitement about Rorx's game. I tend to play characters who are significantly weaker than most folks, with body modifiying powers, no big zaps and a detailed, deeply flawed personality.

I hate running combat, but I enjoy participating in fights. Social roleplaying is probably my favorite, with a political background that impacts the characters' lives in somewhat subtle ways.

If we limit ourselves to the Trinityverse, I must admit I was never crazy about any of my player characters, and had a lot more fun running NPCs; the duo of Colby and Epstein from War Journal are easily my faves ::wub

Yeah, sometimes a character works out good enough that you end up transplanting him into other games. Heck, sometimes they even make it to other rpgs!

I do this all the time, dude. Conduit/Gossamer has been in multiple games and game systems, both here and on other sites, and Epstein, under the name of Grimalkin, has probably become my most fleshed-out charatcer on a Mutants & Masterminds site, and will be staring in her own webcomic, hopefully by the end of next year ::pimpin

Ok, my turn...

Adventure, definitely, with Trinity a close second. I love adventure for its mood, its endless story possibilities, the incredible fun I've had with playing and ST'ing pulp action, but most of all actually because of the system.

Inspiration and dramatic editing are easily the most ingenious rules element I've ever seen in a mainstream, commercial rpg. It opens up a world of possibilities for players to affect the story in new ways, and when used right makes the stories fantastically entertaining. It's also the one game of the three that most helps player groups make a conscious decision about what kind of mood and style they want to play.

In Adventure it needs to be action, adventure and mysteries, of course. Politics always play a part in the stories I play, cause it's always a factor in people's lives, blatantly or subtly. In a game that aims for some degree of social realism, politics are more important than in a high suspension of disbelief setting.

Action is always important too, but not necessarily direct combat.

Tough one. Because my regular play groups are slow in moving on to the Trinity-verse, most of the characters I've both seen and played are here on this site.

All the characters I've liked the most, though, are people who have internal conflicts and some kind of growth and development through the story. Thrillseeker forced to take responsibility, mercenary who discovers some things beyond money matter after all. It's of course a paradox that here I've played Aberrant the most, but I've only ever tried it once offline.

• 3 weeks later...
I like Aberrant, then Adventure! and Trinity in order.
Why? Do you like the Power options, the world, the system?
I like Aberrant partly because it was the first Supers-style game I came across. What immediately impressed me was the layout and tone of the first 100 pages of the core rulebook - the PCs weren't meant to be lily-white-hats nor Mwahahaha-ing villains, but rather real people who had to deal with suddenly having amazing powers and the downsides that went with it. Adventure! is similar, and pulp settings are fun, but I actually find it somewhat difficult to GM, due to my RL paucity of other pulp-y inspirations.
Do you like playing someone world shaking, flawed, interesting?
Ideally, a character is all three. ::biggrin My first character was based loosely on my idea of "What if those three idiots from Buffy season 6 really got powers?" and Michal Wesson was born. My second character was a master shapeshifter, addicted to using his own powers, and (I attempted, though was semi-thwarted by GM plotting) utterly rejecting the fundamentalist Islamic viewpoint of his baseline life. My third character was an (somewhat paranoid) actor who was developing into his own worst caricature of 'This is what a Nova should be!' Michal developed a space elevator and the first AI before I retired him; the shapeshifter was instrumental in several Teragen victories over PU; and the actor was becoming a puppet master of the worst kind.
Political/social stuff with elements of espionage. Combat is fun, but I don't want it to be the end-all of the game, nor should it be necessary in every game session.
My favorite character is my original Michal Wesson, before some player backstabbing ruined the attraction of the character for me.

The best character I've probably read is one over at N! Prime, who became the inspiration for the Defender of Justice. Always hilarious, usually with over-the-top puns, while simultaneously something of a buffoon. And even when I was annoyed at my old GM, his ridiculously limp-wristed portrayal of Rodi the Rainbow was fun.

• 1 month later...

There are three things I love about the system first all of the games are a part of a unified whole. That saves a huge amount of time when I'm running a complex campaign of stuff that needs to get done. The second reason is the rich universe to play with. While there is a meta plot to the game it doesn't have to be used at all. Trinity & its bothers are my go too sci-fi game system. Anything from a bug hunt to the most lofty cosmic game can be run.The great part about this game is the perspective of the characters. While there is some thud & blunder in the world its a quiet type of thing. The games are up beat in both tone & scope. Baring all of that in my mind I've used the Trinity System to run other game system worlds from various other companies. The results were great. So inclosing there's very few systems that cover so much ground for me.

• 1 year later...

Best game: Since i have not played adventure i can´t talk about that one, but it seems cool. And Trinity i really like since you are just superhuman, and not an Abberant God. Sure Abberant is free to no limits but playing a god soon becomes to boring i think. Trinity makes you powerful but the ass-crack abberants are a lot harder, allways !

I like all my chars very much, but i´ll choose Greg"Greggan"Egan(i know, ugly damn name) cause ha was probably the ugliest being in the universe without degenerations, and a true clown.

Almost certainly Aberrant - specifically, the first impression I got of Aberrant. Aberrant was the first Aeon book I bought - it was, in fact, the first WW book I got, and it made a very good first impression. It gave me a nice pseudo-scientific background for super-powers that left their origin nice and open-ended. It gave me a world where you could have a superhuman be whatever they wanted - be a celebrity, a mercenary, Ayn Rand's wet dream or even a superhero. I even liked the Utopia plotline to begin with. I liked the wide open possibility of what happened beyond Summer 2008. I liked how much I could do with the setting as a jumping off point.

All the books after that were kind of a disappointment, since they took part of what I imagined the background and future of the setting to be, and replaced it with the "official" version which was invariably a letdown - it began to feel less like a campaign book for an RPG and more like a novel with character stats in it. (And those aren't the same thing.) But that first book was exactly what I'd want out of a campaign setting. A universe as prologue - all that happened was in the past, and now it was your turn to tell stories.

I haven't played Aeon Trinity yet (or whatever the sci-fi future part of the trilogy is called), though I've skimmed through the timeline and it seems like it turns out badly (at least from the limited info I got).

However that's neither here nor there.

Why do I like A! and Ab?

Simple. I liked the some of the plot lines. Adventure! in particular got my attention because I have a soft spot for the "retro"/pulp-era heroes.

But for me, I think what I liked about it was the "history" of the line. Because all three games/settings basically told a story...and I liked most of the sub-plots and intrigue. Granted, didn't like all the ideas in there, but I liked how things kind of tied together in a sort of continuity.

And I like that.

But hey, that's just my dumb opinion.

I like the 'real-world' aspect of the setting. Unlike other super games, this wasn't just a matter of good guys verses bad guys, it was real people with abilities. I even liked the meta plot up to a point. I just never considered it set it stone, because I don't run my games that way. In my games, what the characters do effect the world even if that means the meta plot gets tossed out the window beyond a certain point.

But I have to say, when I was first introduced to the game by a friend I bought the books when I could find them (this was probably around 2002 or 2003), and I read them for the background material. Especially the early book, I found to be very well written and just plain interesting. It's the only set of gaming books I've ever owned where I actually 'read' the background material. All others I've owned for the mechanics aspect that allowed me to play a game. Abby I purchased more for the story than the mechanics.

Archived