Trinity RPG - Permanent Psion Enhancements

Heru

I was wondering something recently, is there a way for a psion or psiad (probably a biokinesis) to actually create permanent enhancements to their mental, physical and noetic form.

I was going over the Trinity books recently and I couldn't help but notice (removing the Aberrant-era past) how awesome the psions were. Actually, it was the psiads that I find myself liking, rather than the psions due to the inbuilt limitations based on alien genetics.

While reading it I thought of a few things that I wished for in the psion/psiads to make them more entertaining and perfect in my view:

*The removal of the limitation on one Aptitude, but this just means I play a psiad.

*If I am playing a psiad remove the limitation of maximum levels so that a character can have, eventually and at great cost, access to all modes at 5 dots.

*The ability to physically and mentally (and socially) modify their personal abilities in ways similar to the Mega-Attribute Enhancements on Aberrant.

It was the last one that led me to creating this post.

++

A follow-up question as well. I was wondering if anybody created a variant Trinity campaign in which psion character creation utilized something like psi points to represent the transformation from neutral status to psion. I know that they would not be able to do what novas can do, but I like the aspect of phase two character creation, it provides more individuality to character creation.

Thanks

I was wondering something recently, is there a way for a psion or psiad (probably a biokinesis) to actually create permanent enhancements to their mental, physical and noetic form.

I was going over the Trinity books recently and I couldn't help but notice (removing the Aberrant-era past) how awesome the psions were. Actually, it was the psiads that I find myself liking, rather than the psions due to the inbuilt limitations based on alien genetics.

While reading it I thought of a few things that I wished for in the psion/psiads to make them more entertaining and perfect in my view:

*The removal of the limitation on one Aptitude, but this just means I play a psiad.

*If I am playing a psiad remove the limitation of maximum levels so that a character can have, eventually and at great cost, access to all modes at 5 dots.

*The ability to physically and mentally (and socially) modify their personal abilities in ways similar to the Mega-Attribute Enhancements on Aberrant.

That sounds suspiciously like, "I want it all" syndrome ::wink

A psiad with no limits on psi and mega-att like abilities, that are permanent no less, sounds exceeding like someone trying to min-max and 'be all they can be.' IMO having all those powers wouldn't be any more fun that not having them. The character dynamic is what makes this game, not being more l33t than the next guy. The limitations on the various character types is what makes them attractive, it lets you appreciate the good qualities that they do have.

What you are describing starts playing up into the field of nova, and they have taint to contend with, which psions and psaids do not have such a drastic trade-off for their power. If you want to play a nova, then just play a nova, don't try to turn a psion into one. It sounds like FASERIP would be much better for your style of play than Aberrant. More geeked out and less character based usually...you just need to convince your GM to allow you to have C1000 in all your stats! ::laugh

I honestly cannot tell if your joking or being deliberately insulting, but I will go with the joking. Its a better option.

And I am, for the most part, the ST in games that I partake in. I like having creative and rule control, and being the ST is more fun for me.

That said, yes, I want a game in which pretty much everything is possible according to the rules. Not that every character will take every option, just that the options are available. I have no problem with it requiring a lot of experience points to make it possible and that it would take years of time. That is part and parcel of the system. But possible and automatic are two different things.

But even if it took like 20 experience points to make it permanent, it is still possible. And that is what I wish.

I see nothing wrong with wanting a game that has everything, its when a character must have everything that problems develop. :)

It was the last one that led me to creating this post.

++

A follow-up question as well. I was wondering if anybody created a variant Trinity campaign in which psion character creation utilized something like psi points to represent the transformation from neutral status to psion. I know that they would not be able to do what novas can do, but I like the aspect of phase two character creation, it provides more individuality to character creation.

Thanks

I'm sorry to say I have to agree with Forge, it just wouldn't be Trinity, or even a Psion that you actually want to play.

Some of the Psi powers do have a permenant or semi-permenant effect already, after all every Sense basic power is useable at will for no cost, although you would probably want greater range/area of effect on them. The Biokinetics can permenantly alter their form to include things like wings, tntacles, claws, fur or whatever they want to a large degree, as well as the various modifications to how much damage they can take. In addition they can Assimilate Noetic biotech into their body which effectively would give them permenant abilities like armour and/or weaponry, perhaps even biocomps etc. Clairsentients get reduced sensory penalties with Sense Mastery/Telesthesia and perhaps Danger Sense?

Check out Ian Watsons Trinity Storytellr Handbook, which is still under construction, you should be abe to find it with a search. I vaguely remember that has a two phase Psion generation system in it.

For the most part the rules work, the setting itself can be twisted slightly and yet still remain around a central axis. Trinity, Aberrant and Adventure! for me are much more malleable and changeable then I think you guys give it credit. A lot can change in game and yet the game remains.

Having various power options do not sound like that big of a deal.

Also, I have been looking for Trinity Storyteller Handbook, the links to not work and the site seems down.

If I were to do anything along these lines, I would probably go with "psionic aptitudes increase the maximum possible values for basic Attributes". Sadly, I have no idea how to properly balance that, in terms of which aptitudes get which attributes.

An alternative idea is, sufficiently high Psi rating increases the maximum for all attributes, with psions paying a little less XP for attribute increase.

For the most part the rules work, the setting itself can be twisted slightly and yet still remain around a central axis. Trinity, Aberrant and Adventure! for me are much more malleable and changeable then I think you guys give it credit. A lot can change in game and yet the game remains.

Having various power options do not sound like that big of a deal.

Also, I have been looking for Trinity Storyteller Handbook, the links to not work and the site seems down.

Yep, you could do all that you wanted, but I would place it several hundred years in the future of the canon Trinity in order for the 'psions' of your wishes to be 5th generation + and also to incorporate biotech genengineering for the permenant enhancements, or to use 'Invested Psi' as per the Freeform rules in the TPG. In which case of course your have moved on to a very different background and setting - hence my comment about it not being Trinity anymore.

Here is a link to the appropriate part of the TSH, which I had no trouble getting just before pasting it here... so I don't know what caused your problems with doing so?

http://rpgbooks.wikia.com/wiki/Trinity_Sto...racter_Creation

Enjoy! ::biggrin

Honestly, most of the posts I create are looking at the setting from the prospective of a ST. I ask questions hoping to receive various variant thoughts on how things operate.

I pose a question and then wish for others to chime in with ideas that fit the question.

Yeah, I know that I can do it, if I am the ST, its my call. But I figured that maybe others thought similarly, or had ideas roughly of the same nature. That others might have gone "Psions are cool, but it would be even more cool if they did not have restriction of one Aptitude, and if they could permanently shape their bodies." I see nothing wrong with stuff like that. The more one thinks about various nuances of the game the more I think unique and interesting ideas come about.

++

The idea of body modifications that enhance the physical form permanently is the sorts of ideas I want. I mean, looking at some Mega-Attribute enhancements, they are not very visible, a lot of them cause the operator to be able to do things a little different than normal. While I don't want the Psions to be as world-shattering as novas, I wouldn't have a problem with allowing some of the basic idea concepts of novas being usable by psions and their kin.

++

The idea of sufficiently high power trait increasing baseline abilities is what occurs in games like Exalted. If you have Essence of 6 or higher than you can increase your Attributes and Abilities to 6 or higher. The philosophy is that the more 'magical' power you get the better able you are to increase your raw capability and trained skills.

So, I wouldn't mind things like that. The problem for implementing that in Trinity is that the Psi rating routinely goes over 5, even in the start of the game. And, unless I am mistaken, doesn't really have a max.

++

Thanks for the link rorx, I found it myself a little moment ago. It seems that it was posted onto a different site and that other site was taken down (or I was looking at something closely named), but whatever. :) I found it and am going through it.

Bright Continent, which was due to kick in during 2123 would at least partially lift the restriction to a single Aptitude.

My take on it, based off various sources I won't bother going into, will be that they end up as boosted Psiads. 2 Primary Aptitudes that can go up to 5 (one of which has to have been their Psion Aptitude), 2 Secondary with a cap at 4 dots and the other Basic Aptitudes as Tertiary with a cap of 3. Teleportation and Quantakinesis would remain special cases that I know what I'd do with, but I want to keep this short since it's 3am!

Stats going over 5. There is a merit that Psions can take to put a Single Stat Max upto 6, but you then have to spend the XP to get it there, so if you have the bonus pts you could already have all your Stats have a Max of 6!

If you want body mods in Trinity check out comments in Terra Verde and AsAs about terran biotech (south american and Shan) and Nihon cyberware.

So you could have something close to what you want in about 2123/24 if he has the right connections and/or resources! ::biggrin

Archived