Aberrant RPG - Interstellar Warp/Teleport

Heru

Okay, after rereading the Warp and Teleport powers in the core book and then the update on Warp in the Player's Guide, I realized that within the rules there is no way to make it interstellar. In other words, my question is how would I make it so a nova can warp from one planet to another planet in different interstellar systems.

I do have to say that it is interesting that Warp considers that for each point of Quantum a character has they get that number in automatic successes. Which means that anybody with Quantum 5 is capable of transporting planetary scale without even needing to roll, as that is what five successes means.

But I am curious about this because some fluff has novas warping and teleporting across interstellar distances, but the rules don't seem to make that possible.

IIRC there was an old variant writeup of the Warp Power which based it on a Perception + power rating roll, with the Quantum rating adding a set number of successes. I'll see if I can dig it up.

AFA the canon writeup of Warp, that might have been deliberately written that way due to the need to serve the metaplot. It'd keep warper novas from evacuating themselves & their pals out of the Solar System before they could contribute in one way or another to the "pressure cooker" social situation which will erupt in the Aberrant War.

Thanks Sprocket for the information. I gotta say that that is one of the problems with an overarching metaplot, it prohibits some possibilities so that the future can be made to fit in with what they want. Its somewhat disappointing because some of the fluff allows for interstellar novas, while the rules do not.

Mastery works very well with Warp.

Presumably it doubles effect *per* *success*. So for every 10 succ you get an extra 1024x (or effectively +3 succ).

For truly interstellar Warp you really need 14 succ, or 11 with Mastery, on a regular basis.

Q6 = 6 succ.

Perception 5 = 2 succ.

So you'd need 3 succ on your Warp + Mega-Perception dice. Call it Mega-Perception 3.

Obviously more would be better, and spending a willpower point would also work. Also note that our 11 succ here is better than the 14 succ that the book wants... specifically we're 2x and a hair as far. So 11 succ with Mastery puts you anywhere near by. I don't remember how far away Eden was from the Earth.

Oops, 14K light years.

I'm not going to do the math right now, but it'd be something like 13-14 succ. Still pretty do-able if you get Mega-Perception 6.

But how many Quantum 6 dudes were there by the time of the exodus and all that. I mean, weren't most novas still within the 5 and below?

Anyway, thanks for the information, its useful and interesting. And while I wish that such a thing was part of the core power and not something that required extra features, it is good to know that such things exist.

++

I just really hate it when the fluff says one thing and mechanics completely disallows it. If the fluff says something than it should be possible for normal characters to accomplish. And form what I remember those that usually warp do not have Quantum 6, they have 5 and below.

Its like how in Exalted the Solars fought and defeated the Primordials, but such actions are not possible in the system as is. The fluff says one thing, mechanics says another, and the two are opposite. I'd much rather it be the fluff says something, and the mechanics back it up, or even the mechanics says something and fluff provides an interesting twist and cool story on the mechanics.

We've been all through this before for me some months ago, and thought that you could do it, but that it required Q6 and Mastery 1+.

The problem I then raised was about targeting it to the right system in the first place...

*If* you have Mega-Perception (Lots) then just looking up in the sky would give you a list of possibilities... especially (or perhaps *only*) if you had Telescopic vision as well.

With 1,000,000x vision, you should be able to figure out what stars are close enough. Of course that assumes you have mega-perception 6. ::rolleyes

But how many Quantum 6 dudes were there by the time of the exodus and all that. I mean, weren't most novas still within the 5 and below?
Yeah, but you'd only need *one* guy with Warp and Mastery to set up Eden, or even a bunch of other groups as well.

Also most of the reason why novas were kicked off was because of misuse of Q6 powers. So they were around.

Part of the problem is right now (in 2008) none of the novas *need* to go space hopping.

If it were a serious concern then we'd see that "Spacial Accuracy" enhancement or something like it in the APG. And that would solve a huge bunch of issues, especially with Mastery.

Eden founders start looking after events in 2046, and don't find/found Eden until 2051, so they spent 5 years finding the place. They don't finally cut off comunication with Earth until the Ultimatum in 2061.

So even by the time they start looking there a a fair chunk of Novas who could have been around for 30+ years, making Q6+ for them a reasonable possibility...

I just want to make note that this question was related to much more than just Eden and them, it was mostly a question about general Aberrant mechanics and stuff.

That said, to have what you guys are saying you need Mega-Perception 5, Quantum 6, and high Warp, that would be a lot of experience points. And a lot of development.

And the only reason that novas don't go space hopping is because the metaplot doesn't allow for Aberrant to go from a modern super hero game to a science fiction space opera game. Its just that the more I read and discuss things relating to Aberrant and the Trinity era the more I realize that things were hamstrung and that areas of possibility were bypassed and ignored so that Trinity could come about.

But that is not really the issue. The issue is that it seems, according to canon, to take novas with Quantum 6 to warp interstellar distances. And that there are no official rules allowing for greater capacity or increased ability to detect placements.

I think that an Extra should exist called long range, or even interstellar capability, it could allow the nova an easier time at warping beyond the distance of a single system.

++

From a mechanical standpoint, what is the range of Trinity era psion teleporters? Can the average one of them move at interstellar distances, or is that something out of the hands of players but not NPCs and fluff? I'm seriously asking as I would like to know, not as a judgment.

I don't have my copy of Stellar Frontiers on hand, but IIRC the main issue with psionic teleportation seems to be familiarity with the arrival point. It's why they worked so much with ISRA & the Ministry in the early days - the clear found the place, the Ministry agent took the clear's vision of the place & transferred it to the teleporter.

Since Trinity was deliberately set up with space travel in mind, I don't think that interstellar distances were intended to be much of a factor where the Upeo are concerned.

Yeah, with Psion Teleporters it is all about how familiar with the destination they are, which has some rigid rules as well. It apears instantaneous to the T'porter, but if they aren't very familiar with the destination it could actualy have taken them hours/days/weeks to get there.

To get a really good chance of success/travel time you need to have spent 6 hours a day in the location for about a year! But then it could be literally anywhere!

Ah, I see, thanks both Rorx and Sprocket for the clarification on both the game rules and ideas that embody the Teleportation power of Trinity.

It seems, and yes I know this is somewhat simplistic, that as Aberrant is supposed to take place on Earth teleporation and all that connected is quite hard and small, but that in Trinity, which is a futuristic science fiction setting, teleportation is not as hard because its supposed to take place over huge expanse of space.

That is such a pitty and seems like a hamstringing of Aberrant.

And look, before people start getting annoyed at me. I like Trinity. I like the psions of it, the order, the setting and all that. I think, by itself and with no connection to previous games, its a great setting and game line. But I also think that Aberrant seems to call to me a little more when I compare to two game lines, so it somewhat annoys me to learn that the game I like found itself stuck as the middle child and thus results in a huge metaplot and story line that forces it to behave and conform to a particular future.

The ability for a nova to stand on Earth, look out to a world, point and say that when, then concentrate for a moment, form a portal and then step into it, only to arrive on the alien world but a second later, is a really cool concept for me.

Re: Nova interstellar warping.

To be honest, I only skimmed this argument, but to me, you guys seem to be forgetting the Strengths and Weaknesses from the APG, as it is entirely feasible that someone, (or even a few) had Warp with increased range, with a trade-off that the gate size was smaller, had a higher q-min, cost more to make or took longer to open etc.

And, as I have had to reiterate to many ST's or players of my Abby games, pg 178 of the core book, little grey box says,

"We've tried to create a list of general quantum powers representative of what the novas of 2008 have been known to do. However, each nova is an individual, and no rigid guidelines can accurately capture every aspect of every nova's powers. These power descriptions are guidelines rather than absolutes. As such, feel free to twist them around to suit your concept and chronicle needs."

And I would add..."Just like we did to make our metaplot fit together." ::devil

Keywords in that paragraph have been italicized by me. ::smile

My second argument for interstellar travel and warping as written would just be that it took more than one warp to get somewhere, a pair of decent explorer warpers could leapfrog each other and make insane distance before they would have to rest... :warp:

Edit: third possiblity...buts its waaaaay past my bedtime so maybe not...

new warp derrivative; Interstellar Warp....only goes long distances, use lightyear scale instead of km...? *shrug*

1) As noted, you only need about 11-14 sux to make an Abby warper capable of interstellar warps. Keep in that, for an abby that's been around 40+, Q6 would not be that hard, and that would also make Warp+Mastery 1 a strong possibility; you only need 5 sux. Not that impossible. And that's just for 2 QP....with a Quantum pool of 30, you can get up to 15 times that distance...

2) Targeting Warp: The Scientific Prodigy (Astronomy/Astrophysics/Mathematics) enhancement would be all that you would need. The other option would be staright Mega-Perception (Telescopic Vision). And that's ignoring the possibility of using a quantum device....

3) Re: Upeo: Keep in mind that they also had a number of coordinates from the Doyenne. Otherwise most of the colonies would be impossible. Also, familiarity isn't as necessary as you would think, according to the free form rules....

FR

Forge,

While I agree with you in theory, it seems that a lot of STs don't like modifying the rules as written, even when the book gives permission. Usually when somebody says "can I change x to y, here is my really good reason why" the ST says "sorry, but I think for not complicating things, we should leave it alone."

But yeah, what your saying is a good point. Novas are in theory capable of doing anything given the right Quantum minimum, which means the broad scope of the already listed powers cannot possibly hope to cover it all.

Your idea of an Interstellar Warp power is interesting and probably works as an Extra to the normal warp power.

Finbar

Not much I can say, except good points, interesting and informative. :)

I just realized I need a clarification of Warp+Mastery: I just realized that Mastery effects range, area of effect, and effect. The problem is that with Warp, all three of those are inter-related. As such, would they over-lap, or would only range apply? I'm aware that range usually refers only to the limit of where the power becomes effective, but wouldn't that also be the effect in this case?

Basically, what I'm asking is: What is the specific effects of Mastery on Warp? What changes are made?

FR

I just realized I need a clarification of Warp+Mastery: I just realized that Mastery effects range, area of effect, and effect. The problem is that with Warp, all three of those are inter-related...

No, they aren't, and they don't.

Range of Warp is meters or something, i.e. how far away from you can you make a Warp?

Area of Effect is special or just N/A.

Effect is you make a gate whose dimensions are something 3 meters on a side (book not here off hand, but it does say).

Range takes meters to km, so you could make the entrance to a gate a few km away from you (the exit is covered under effect).

Effect doubles so the size doubles... per side. Which means it's area goes up by 4x assuming you have a square gate (the default).

Effect would (presumably) be that every succ takes you 2x(100m?) in combat or 2m x 20^succ out of combat (or something like that, book not handy).

Note the ST might disallow the "Range" being changed since that makes this a very different power, i.e. you don't have to be at either entrance of the gate. Duration would probably increase to Maintenance or maybe Concentration... it's already special (ST's choice).

The big winner with this is going from 10x per succ to 20x per succ... but like all L4 powers a fair amount of negotiation with the ST is needed.

If, OTOH, the Effect component were interpreted as simply doubling the sux rolled, would this be unbalanced?
Other than making it more "interstellar" it's fine, and a reasonable request for the ST... which isn't to say he'd grant it. ::biggrin
Also, lets say the "area" component were allowed to make the gate itself larger. Balance consequences?
First of all, with the book in front of me there *is* no area for the Gate, i.e. the size of the gate is an effect (3m square).

So in theory you'd go to 6m square as a default. Is that what you meant?

I was more, trying to think if there's any reason why being able to produce a kilometer wide Warp would be problematic. Particularly since such is *really* handy in a space based setting, as it means you can Warp space ships.

It's unbalanced with that "anything goes through" extra.

It's also rather obvious when you use it, and not at all handy in doors.

Found my books. Didn't help. I so hate WW and it's need to player-friendly.....

1) The dice pool (as per APG) is Perception+Warp. Assuming you backed it with Per 5, Warp 5, Q5, and Mege-Per 5, it's possible to have a Warp go to 2x10^29 km, or about 2x10^16 light years. Not likely, but possible. Much more likely is about 2x10^12 km, or about 1/4 light year.

[Keep In mind I was figuring the maximum result without spending Willpower or using a power max. Throw that into the mix and you can multiply the result by up to 320 (x10 for the Willpower's success, and up to 2^5 for Q5. In case you are curious about the math, the formula for distance is (2x10^(successes-1) km; I assumed a maximum number of successes, without allowing for re-rolls. Assuming only 10 are rolled (and three successes per mega-die), that works out to 5 auto (Q5) + 5 (Per) + 5( Warp) + 15 (MegaPer 5), for a total of 30; plugging it in for (2x10^(30-1).]

Please note that if you are worried about comparing the distance an Upeo can teleport versus an Edenite, the Edenite will lose every time; no matter how far out the Edenite teleports, even through multiple warps, the Upeo can teleport back, and can warp more than the Edenite could ever really hope to do so. Of course, the Edenite can teleport without having been to the location before. Even if you use the Freeform rules, the Edenite can teleport faster. So there are some trade-off.

2) Keep in mind that there are, technically, two effectsL The warping itself, as well as the creation of a gate. Just for the sake of messing around with the specifics, I'd note that the gate would get bigger with mastery (from (3m square+(dots in either direction) to (4m square+(2xdots in either direction) to 6.5m square+(5xdots in either direction) all the way to 13.5m square + (20xdots in either direction) [yes, I'm punting a bit on the math; however, it helps when trying to figure out the size of the puddlejumper that the Edenites would have used].

3) As an ST, would just multiply the distance by 2, 5, or 20; the successes aren't the effect, the distance is. The successes are just the way that the distance is determined, and so should not be counted as the effect itself. Put another way, the successes aren't an effect of the power; the distance is....

FR

I wanted to note something. In the Aberrant Player's Guide their is a section about interstellar travel and novas. And in the section there is a chart with the various successes needed to get to various locations. I am not sure the page, but I find that the chart is somewhat interesting and useful even if I am not sure of the accuracy of the success total.

3) As an ST, would just multiply the distance by 2, 5, or 20; the successes aren't the effect, the distance is. The successes are just the way that the distance is determined, and so should not be counted as the effect itself. Put another way, the successes aren't an effect of the power; the distance is....
Exactly what needs to be doubled is something to talk to the ST about for every power.

For example Growth IMHO should double the effect *per* *dot* and not just take the final effect and double it (especially since simply doubling the mass is extremely odd).

Telepathy should IMHO double the number of succ before any resistance considerations, not the effect after resistance (or else Telepathy + Mastery x3 *still* can't cut through 4 dots of normal P-Shield).

And IMHO range with Warp makes very little sense to, with Mastery, to give the equiv of 0.2 extra succ or so. Warp's big thing is it's range, Mastery should be special, and if we *don't* double every succ then I'm at a real loss as to how we can explain how the Colony and his goons get around. We know the effect exists, of the tools we actually have in front of us, Mastery is IMHO the best fit.

Exactly what needs to be doubled is something to talk to the ST about for every power.

True. I just wish you had given better examples.

For example Growth IMHO should double the effect *per* *dot* and not just take the final effect and double it (especially since simply doubling the mass is extremely odd).

Definitely. The mass should be cubed, not just doubled.

Telepathy should IMHO double the number of succ before any resistance considerations, not the effect after resistance (or else Telepathy + Mastery x3 *still* can't cut through 4 dots of normal P-Shield).

Actually, I have no problem with that. That shouldn't diminish the effect of telepaths in general, and that just means that there will be some minds that they can't read. Given that the expense needed to do it, and that it simulates comics better (Rogue vs. Prof. X), I have no problem with that.

And IMHO range with Warp makes very little sense to, with Mastery, to give the equiv of 0.2 extra succ or so. Warp's big thing is it's range, Mastery should be special, and if we *don't* double every succ then I'm at a real loss as to how we can explain how the Colony and his goons get around. We know the effect exists, of the tools we actually have in front of us, Mastery is IMHO the best fit.

I would, of course, disagree. Even assuming the 1/4 light year from a person with all 5's, a power max and a Willpower success can easily make that worth it (8 light years for 8 QP) and allow the nova past Alpha Centauri. Up any of those stats, and you allow for even greater distances...

FR

Trying to explain the metaplot with the rules, *cough* sorry, guidelines ::cool , is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole IMO. ::blink

And that, I think, is one of the most frustrating things about Aberrant. Actually, its not just Aberrant, its pretty much White Wolf. The same thing exists in the Exalted setting with the metaplot of the Solars defeating the Primordials, that sort of thing cannot occur.

Is it really to hard to ask for a game that connects the rules and the metaplot together. I mean, I don't have a problem with a game going "Quantum 5 is the max, except for NPCs due to their awesomeness" That is fine in my opinion, because we know that the things that the NPC does is okay according to the unknown and mystical Quantum 10 rules.

But oh well, my rant is done for now. :)

And that, I think, is one of the most frustrating things about Aberrant. Actually, its not just Aberrant, its pretty much White Wolf. The same thing exists in the Exalted setting with the metaplot of the Solars defeating the Primordials, that sort of thing cannot occur.

Is it really to hard to ask for a game that connects the rules and the metaplot together. I mean, I don't have a problem with a game going "Quantum 5 is the max, except for NPCs due to their awesomeness" That is fine in my opinion, because we know that the things that the NPC does is okay according to the unknown and mystical Quantum 10 rules.

But oh well, my rant is done for now. :)

I don't find it frustrating, I find it inspiring. It means that even against all odds/rules, sometimes things happen anyway...adds a touch of chaos to all the order floating around in the books, a touch of anti-rules mongering if you will. ::ohmy

Or in another way, say the metaplot was actually the test game and they just wrote it out. So the ST muffed a few rolls so the PCs didn't die ::blush ...happens all the time, if the metaplot went by the strict rules as they are written...the story wouldn't be as interesting.

Definitely. The mass should be cubed, not just doubled.
Mastery's out of the box rules are designed for Q-Bolt and (as normal) they're pretty vague on what to do with the more unusual powers.

But given the effect on Q-Bolt and FF, I don't see why 3 dots of Growth + Mastery should have the same effect as 4 dots of Growth without Mastery... especially when we could apply that "doubled effect" at a different point in the math and come up with a Growth + Mastery power that deserves the name.

Actually, I have no problem with that. That shouldn't diminish the effect of telepaths in general, and that just means that there will be some minds that they can't read. Given that the expense needed to do it, and that it simulates comics better (Rogue vs. Prof. X), I have no problem with that.
If we're going to use comics then we're in deep trouble since they're pretty erratic. However, if we assume that Prof X has Mastery, 2 dots of INV:Telepathy still shut him down pretty good since 1 dot of INV:Telepathy shuts down normal telepathy pretty well.
I would, of course, disagree. Even assuming the 1/4 light year from a person with all 5's, a power max and a Willpower success can easily make that worth it (8 light years for 8 QP) and allow the nova past Alpha Centauri. Up any of those stats, and you allow for even greater distances...
Eden is 14 Thousand light years from Earth, not 8. Most of the other colonies are equal to that or further. Given willpower recovery issues, a good rule of thumb is you can throw an average of one a day.

Granted, it's possible that the Colony's and Eden's Warpers are throwing a max once a day and just live with the gate only working one time in 5 or 10 or whatever, but my impression is these guy's powers work on demand, not once a week. It's also possible that everyone who can do this is a maxed out warpers, i.e. mega-perception 5 (etc), but that seems unreasonable.

Mastery's out of the box rules are designed for Q-Bolt and (as normal) they're pretty vague on what to do with the more unusual powers.

Admittedly all Growth would be gaining would be the reduced Q-cost, but it would be gaining tremendously at Mastery 2/3. Then again, I would contend that Mastery isn't for all powers (Density Control-Decrease, for example).

If we're going to use comics then we're in deep trouble since they're pretty erratic. However, if we assume that Prof X has Mastery, 2 dots of INV:Telepathy still shut him down pretty good since 1 dot of INV:Telepathy shuts down normal telepathy pretty well.

As long as you ignore the effects of Mega's sure; I'm sure a telepath would have at least some Mega-Per. And Mastery would overwhelm that defense pretty quickly. Especially if you bought Telepathy with Armor Piercing....

Eden is 14 Thousand light years from Earth, not 8.

Dude: I only need to get four more successes; Warp is x10 for each success. That clears me for 80,000 ly; that could put me anywhere in the Milky Way Galaxy, which only has a diameter of 100,000 ly. And that's almost an average roll. Of course, if his stats were even a hair better....

I'm just not seeing the issue...

Granted, it's possible that the Colony's and Eden's Warpers are throwing a max once a day and just live with the gate only working one time in 5 or 10 or whatever, but my impression is these guy's powers work on demand, not once a week. It's also possible that everyone who can do this is a maxed out warpers, i.e. mega-perception 5 (etc), but that seems unreasonable.

Not that unreasonable. Given the number of Q6 characters by 2020 (as per the WWPhase books), and that Warp is a highly useful power, and that there are a number of NPC's that already have Warp, I don't see an issue with having even a dozen or so novas with the scores that would allow everyday travel across the galaxy, especially if you allow that they would probably be the ones most likely to be taintmonkeys (exploring their limits and all of that).

And before you throw up the argument that they would be too valuable to use in combat, bear in mind that any nova with Q6+ would be fully capable of defending themselves. If nothing else, even warping a small distance away (by space standards) would take them out of combat. Then they would just need to warp in a few hours later, and grab everyone. I'd even be willing to bet that warp in, drop 'em off, warp out, and pick 'em up later would be part of the SOP....

FR

As long as you ignore the effects of Mega's sure; I'm sure a telepath would have at least some Mega-Per. And Mastery would overwhelm that defense pretty quickly. Especially if you bought Telepathy with Armor Piercing....
AP reduces *soak*, not defenses. There's a real order of operations problem with Mental Powers with AP, it's either way too strong or too weak.

A telepath with Mega-Perception 3, Telepathy 3, and Perception 5 will average 5.9 succ.

If Mastery doubles and we round up, that's 12 succ. 2 Dots in INV take out all of that even before willpower. If you like we could increase Rogue's INV it to 3 dots.

Dude: I only need to get four more successes; Warp is x10 for each success. That clears me for 80,000 ly; that could put me anywhere in the Milky Way Galaxy, which only has a diameter of 100,000 ly. And that's almost an average roll. Of course, if his stats were even a hair better....

I'm just not seeing the issue...

Twinked out Warper:

Q6 = 6 succ.

Perception 5 = 2 succ.

Warp 5 = 2 succ.

Mega-Perception 5 = 4.5 succ.

At this point you've spent 55(!) nova points and average 14.5 succ. Of course even with a close by star you're going to fail to get that maybe 1 time out of 3 or 4. Again, I call the amount of dedication needed to make this work excessive.

But to make this work to Eden you need 18 succ. With a power max you'd average 16.7, so you'd get 18 maybe one time out of 5 or so.

So if we're really going to make this work, every high end warper needs Q8. Or alternatively we could have Warp+Mastery increase by 20x per succ.

This isn't the only power that presents per succ power increases. Density Increase comes to mind. Every +1 quantum spent increases your Mass by x2 and gives +1 soak. Doubling the final product doubles soak, it should also increase mass by x2^soak.

Similarly, Poison is a straight up resisted roll. If we say Poison+Mastery doubles succ, then the math is easy. If we don't then I don't see what we do.

Ok, looking at this anew because it's late and I can't remember all that has already gone on this...

Warp + Mastery needed to get to Eden - Correct?

Mastery options for Warp

1. Double number of Successes?

2. Change 2x10^Sux to 2x20^Sux?

3. change m to km, effectovely just adds 3 sux to original formula?

Which to choose that fits the RAW and allows best chance of Interstellar Warps? Probably option 1?

Power max:

Each success on max roll doubles the effect. Q3 = 1.2 sux = x2 distance, Q6 = 2.4 sux = x4 distance?

Archived