Aberrant RPG - A Question on Hypermovement & the movement rules

Sprocket

While most of the work for Chapter 3 of the Mega-Physical book has been finished, another question has popped up. We're hoping to include Gideon's "Unified Speed Rules" material in the ebook, but he seems to have factored Hypermovement (Running) with the standard Run & Sprint movement rates a bit differently than I or Alex Green have done.

Basically, Gideon figures that the increased multiplier granted by Hypermovement applies to both the Running & Sprinting rates of the nova. So with Hyper-Running 1 the nova could Run at (Dex x 6) + 12 meters per action and Sprint at (Dex x 9) + 20 meters per action. Alex & myself thought that it only applied to the nova's Sprinting rate.

I admit to being biased towards Gideon's interpretation, as it makes the classic speedster much more viable in an Aberrant chronicle.

Which view do you guys figure is correct?

The book is ambiguous, but it also does *not* so "to the sprint rate."

So, I'd say it adds to both running and sprinting. Which makes sense, someone with hypermovement doesn't *have* to sprint, and in the 'literature', speedsters usually have a wide variety of choices between "normal walking pace" and "maximum speed."

No vote. I understand it but I don't feel I have enough information to decide.

What more information do you need or is available?

Presumably it is obvious that someone can move at any speed between their normal waling pace upto their maximum sprint speed, therefore the only mechanics difference is what speed they can be doing as interacts with the rules for what actions, or not, you can take in a turn and at what penalties?

I'm not particularly familiar with those for Aberrant, but what I remember from Trinity, or at least what I've used, is that you can Walk as well as take/split your actions, Running costs an action if you're doing something else as well, and Sprinting is your only action for the turn. Is this the basis for the difference in interpretation?

All of the examples for Hypermovement are based upon Sprinting speeds, which makes me inclined to say it only affects Sprinting speed. However, I thought you could do only a small portion of your move (half?) and still be able to take an action, which would leave speedsters with a range of what they could do.

I think the question is an artificial one. I vote for gideon's only because it is true that NOvas with Hypermovement are capable of moving at any speed between slow-motion robot dancing and full tilt. To say otherwise would require an appropriate weakness on the Hypermovement power. INHO limiting it to sprint speeds means they can take no actions outside of hyper slams and strikes, yet I have seen Speedsters do a great many things with their speed.

OK. Since it looks like Gideon's take on Hyper-movement has the strongest support, I'll go ahead & see about putting the finishing touches on his material in the Mega-Physical project forum. Barring objections from others on the Development Team, I think it'll pass peer review fairly easily.

Much thanks for your opinions, folks. ::smile

Re: A quick update-

Gideon's "Unified Speed Rules" material just passed peer review & has been sent off to JessiLaurn for PDF conversion. Again, much thanks to those of you who helped out; the Mega-Physical ebook is now one step closer to completion.

Archived