Reinvigorating EON

SkyLion

So our sister site NPrime is pretty bangin' these days. Lots of games popping up, new forums, and more than a few are games besides the Trinity Universe.

And yet...here lies EON, not dead but defintely resting. Blue Ninja's Trans-D clings to life! All of our great ST's: Potts, Heritage, Blue Thunder...have left us for one reason or another. Shade Sentinel has taken up the storytelling banner, and now the Adventure! game seems to have stalled (Just so you know, I think all of the players declared actions so you're up Big Daddy!). Rorx is making an effort in Trinity...which unfortunately has always been third in popularity. Rorx, I am sorry I have not gotten back to you on the Trinity game. Its still in my queque but has dropped in priority from other RL stuff. I suspect, that if you decided to run a serious Aberrant game, lurkers would come springing out of the woodwork ready to play...

My point is...why is EON languishing? I have had such great times here! Such an awesome and friendly community (something that I and others feel NPrime sometimes lacks...), and I have seen it when this place has been popping!

So what can we do to bring EON back? IMHO its the games that make it come alive...Prometheans Unbound was destined for Epic Greatness. I fear something bad may have happened to Blue Thunder.

Even so...many of our stalwarts have faded into lurkhood....

I don't have the answers by myself. Im not that great of an ST. I just thought maybe some of you out there might share my concerns.

Real life mostly. I've seen a number of games burn out when the ST vanishes... i.e. when he figures out that he doesn't have the time to be ST and is too embarrassed to say so. It's a pity since IMHO we're *still* better off with them around as a player.

Today I have the time to ST, but I know my life well enough to think that today is aberration.

The motivation for creating this thread was that I see NPrime as hopping! Plenty of ST's lots of new games left and right and a few even seem to have legs, that is they are going to stick around a bit. :knocks on wood:

What I have noticed is that for it's flaws, the community there is vibrant, but here not so much. What would it take to invigorate this place? Is it the shoutbox? The chatroom? The fiction writing format?

Im just looking to get some ideas on how we can attract new blood and get them involved, but it has to start with who is here already. All of you who lurk, log in and make yourselves heard!

Honestly, for me it's simply life is too damn hectic. I dropped off Mars when my grandmother died and I got stuck with a month long flu that knocked me out to near pneumonia. Then, new job with varying hours(I can work anytime between 5am -3am some days) and other responsibilities means that I just don't have time for more games.

Hmm, something that might help, I've noticed. People over on rpg.net, talking about Trinity, but no one here has jumped in and said "We have some of the ebooks and the community." If you're on another message board, throw a link in your sig if the board allows it. Or simply mention it.

Hmmm...so why does NPrime have the high attendance? I mean the community there includes some people who have stuck around for years. One thing that I was talking with someone else about that pissed us off is there is a sort of old guard that lurks around here. I bet you if Potts or Heritage came back and started a game, there would be a whole bunch of older heads suddenly logging in and ready to participate.

Having said that if poeple do want to start up any games I can let the folks at NPrime and RPG.net and hopefully recruit some new blood. This site is great. The interface is just brilliant, easy to navigate and we have tons of awesome content. We just need to let people know about it.

Hmmm...so why does NPrime have the high attendance? I mean the community there includes some people who have stuck around for years. One thing that I was talking with someone else about that pissed us off is there is a sort of old guard that lurks around here. I bet you if Potts or Heritage came back and started a game, there would be a whole bunch of older heads suddenly logging in and ready to participate.

Having said that if poeple do want to start up any games I can let the folks at NPrime and RPG.net and hopefully recruit some new blood. This site is great. The interface is just brilliant, easy to navigate and we have tons of awesome content. We just need to let people know about it.

RL can be a pain for running a game, but new tech can help if you can keep at least some of your stuff in your head or easily transferred/copied files. As I've said before I frequently do half or more of my lurking and posting here using my cell phone, and that includes the posts for my Trinity game.

Having looked at NPrime and here I preferred Eon since it does actually acknowledge the existence of the other two parts of the Trinity Universe, whilst NPrime (as the name suggests I suppose) is totally Aberrant based. I suppose people have a problem with Trinity (my favorite) simply because it is scifi and so they might need to actually look at the background instead of winging it from the modern world starting point of Aberrant.

Skylion - it looks like the Trinity game is stalling already, so pleased do advertise it elsewhere!

Ok, old lurker here. ::smile

[...]One thing that I was talking with someone else about that pissed us off is there is a sort of old guard that lurks around here. I bet you if Potts or Heritage came back and started a game, there would be a whole bunch of older heads suddenly logging in and ready to participate.

Why does that piss you off? Being a member of this site and community doesn't mean you have to join in the games and discussions.

Yes, I lurk. For nostalgic reasons, and because there is a lot of good information and ideas here, I keep coming back, even long after the stories I loved have stagnated. If any of the old stories I played in were to rise from their graves, yes, I most likely would get active again. But that is because of those particular stories and characters. To me, the identity and 'old guard'-ness of the STs is of minor importance. It wouldn't be enough just to see that Potts or Heritage started a new game, because new ideas are easier to resist than old, familiar ones.

I simply don't have the time for more than looking in now and then these days, and I can't say I see anything would drag me into regular activity again, short of the chance to continue one of my old characters' stories. And even then it wouldn't be a given that I'd actually join in, despite the admittedly huge temptation.

As for what draws and keeps a crowd in general... I've never been an NPrime regular, so I have no idea what their strengths are. To me the thing that kept me coming back to EON was the games. I enjoy the theories, debates, ideas exchange and so on, but I'm not an active enough Aeon ST or player to have much to contribute in those discussions. There has been some great stuff created here over the years, though, and there still is. I think the strength EON has always had is the creativity of its members and the friendly attitude to newcomers. These two combined give an atmosphere that is very conducive to cooperation, brainstorming and communal creative processes that also lead to solid results. That may be something to tempt people with, I think.

Ditto

though as an "old guard" member I might try to make time if Prof were to come back for some more QZ action; "might" being the operative word and a huge compliment to Prof's amazing storytelling talent. That being said, I'm currently extremely busy now that my legal career has started with a major bang (kickass job in a major telco). Between that and my girlfriend, I don't have much time left for PbP games...

Congrats on the great new job Zeke!

And I think we can all agree that it's the games that draw the players. That's why the sub-title is "Where have all the ST's gone?" I see no reason why NPrime should be kicking our ass in membership.

Anyways I have had some great times here and just felt like its been sort of dying off. Lets hope it's just a temporary lull...

Having looked over at NPrime the last couple of days I've noticed an obvious split in that they have more games going, but Eon has more discussions.

In addition I would say that you guys here at Eon have made a bigger contribution tn the hobby through the e-books you have written and continue to write. I just wish we could get hold of the files of the stalled e-books, like BC, so we could continue them with the current posters.

I agree, although it can be tough to get some canon frothing types to accept "fan created" material as acceptable. My opinion is that *WE* are the publishers now that the company abandoned the line. ::cool

Well, it's either "fan created" and playtested/debated, or the individual ST's thought, which might not be very balanced/well considered, or nothing. I know which of those three options I would like to see keep coming. ::biggrin

I know I've mentioned it before elsewhere, and it may not be appropriate here, but for future projects (I don't think New Flesh is in any danger ::biggrin) could a copy of the major files be kept either on the site, with the Admins, or have multiple lead writers. This is personnally because of how "irritated" I've been by the total freeze put on Bright Continent by the disappearance of one person (Blue Thunder) ::brick

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, I lurk too... well, maybe lurk is the wrong word: I pop on every now and then to make sure Eon is still here, because it's good to know that it is. And, sure, I'd be back in a flash if Potts pitched up and wanted to run QZ again, because I still feel so invested in characters we all built up over years that I'd sacrifice time from my life's new priorities for them. But, doing that without the investment when I know I might have to pull out and wreck someone else's game in the process. That's more difficult.

These days it's just comforting and inspiring to see people still treading these boards ::biggrin

Funny...I was just thinking about Potts the other day. Wondering what he was up to and if he still thought of this place and what those thoughts were. If he might ever come back to ST wth us and if he did, would he be able to keep his madcap creativity in check enough to keep his focus on just running a single game, maybe two... ::biggrin

Funny...I was just thinking about Potts the other day. Wondering what he was up to and if he still thought of this place and what those thoughts were. If he might ever come back to ST wth us and if he did, would he be able to keep his madcap creativity in check enough to keep his focus on just running a single game, maybe two... ::biggrin

I'm sure he does. And you are completely right - the man is a genius who doesn't know his own limits.

I remember how much running one game for a few months took out of me. The effort Prof put in could probably have translanted into a novel or 10...

Archived