Aberrant RPG - Matter Chameleon

Rorx

Not by the MC in the Core rules...
Where it falls short is with Jill getting "properties" that Jack doesn't have (although if he's defined his claws as "diamond" then it works). It also falls short in that Jill can't mimic powers and she can't mimic living creatures.

But the core rules say she can use MC to soak attacks, which implies it works on q-powers. I don't see why that wouldn't apply to fire generated from a Q-Bolt, or Fire from a Bodymorph for that matter.

I'll have to check later (out shopping now ::biggrin), but I thought the Core version worked just like Bodymorph - 1 dot of MC could be used to stand in for 1 dot of another, with some freebie base abilities for being gas/liquid/metal or whatever?

Having had a chance to check the Core book I find I was entirely mistaken. As Alex says it is basically entirely up to the ST what he/she wants to give you as your abilities for any particular form, the guidelines are:-

"No substance may provide more damage or soak than the lower of a) the substance's normal properties; B) the nova's power rating x 3. No substance may provide more extra Strength levels than the nova's power rating. Exceptional levels of success may allow for modification of these guidelines."

In the subsequent examples a character with MC4 who gets a single success while changing to diamond gets +12 Soak (equivalent to Armour 4), +2 Strength, and Claws 4.

Boy did I read them wrong! ::blink ::blush

I still think Nathan is too light to have the properties of Osmium (Its Density being one of its defining properties). ::tongue

Also, Alex, didn't Cherub MC into Light? Didn't you call that abusive? ::tongue

(Granted its a high powered game by most comparisons...)

I still think Nathan is too light to have the properties of Osmium (Its Density being one of its defining properties). ::tongue

Ok, what Sky is refering to is BN defining MC as similar to Shapeshifting as a House rule, i.e. the number of successes you get equals the points he then allocates to the powers he gives you to define the change in form.

The single example in TransD so far is a change to Osmium form with 4 successes, which BN allocated as:-

2 dots Armor (+6B/+6L)

1 level Density Increase (+1 Str, +1Sta, +2B/+1L)

1 dot Claws (+1 damage, lethal HtH)

+1 difficulty for opponents to knockback (in addition to the normal knockback reduction for DI)

NOTE: Nathan currently only has MC 2, hence Armour couldn't have been any higher.

Having reread the definition of the power and the example in the Core book BN could have done something different, for example:-

Define density as having increased to the relevant value, giving a mass of about 20x normal [80kg x20 = 1600 kg].

give + (MC dots = 2) STR, to help compensate for extra mass, ala DI normally does, MC defined limit

give + (MC dots = 2)x3 = 6 extra Soak, MC defined limit

give (MC dots = 2) Claws

+anything else he felt fitted the new material form...(within the limits of the MC guidelines?)

In general it would have worked out about the same, but because it is totally down to the ST to define he could have simply dictated the change in mass that Sky has since complained about.

After all the laser weapons in the Core book are rather too big to carry around.
There's a reason they're called "Heavy Weapons". The damage on that thing is 13[12].

All I need is 1d. I also don't need a pistol grip since I'm not going to be aiming it or using it in combat.

There's a reason they're called "Heavy Weapons". The damage on that thing is 13[12].

All I need is 1d. I also don't need a pistol grip since I'm not going to be aiming it or using it in combat.

Sounds like a job for a laser cutting/welding torch. Only a couple or perhaps variable dice damage, but with a couple of powerpack options depending on the type of materials and duration between recharges expected. Or perhaps an early version of the laser scapel from Trinity.

A laser pointer wouldn't do even a single pip of damage. IIRC you used ambient light and even stated as much in the character's profile.

And I still think Nathan should do so, but I was trying to work out the limits that Alex was suggesting.

A laser pointer wouldn't do even a single pip of damage.
True, but so what? Pointers are built to *not* do damage and *I* have never claimed that's what it is. If we can build lasers that do lots of damage, we can certainly build something *less* than that. As I recall the problem wasn't making pointers, the problem was making sure they couldn't hurt people. In RL we can build laser to pretty much any size, there's just no purpose is making any other than the very small or very large.

He's got resources 4 or 5 *and* he's got backing from a super high tech nova spy organization. How hard is it really supposed to be to get a 1 die laser? At the moment I'm assuming it's a zero point gadget.

IIRC you used ambient light and even stated as much in the character's profile.
No, the character's profile just says "he can transform into light" or something like that. Officially to PU his power is isn't MC, it's BM:Light. He carries his gadget inside his Eufiber and when he needs to transform he uses Weave to turn it on.

Archived