Trinity RPG - Long range comms

Rorx

Can anyone think of a method I've missed?

1. Radio/laser/microwave - long range, but spreads and can be intercepted.

2. Psicomm - presumably ftl since it uses telepathy/psion particles, but messages sent in batches and needs boosting stages to get around the planet and more to get around the system. Also only available to higher ranking members of the orders or Trinity.

3. Telepath - Mind speak at lvl 5 can be used on a familiar mind in 10km x Psi. Nnetwork is 3 times that.

Just stuff available in Trinity? Because in general sci-fi, there's too more types I can recall:

-Grav comm: uses gravity waves to transmit information. Usually portrayed as instant within its range, but often limited to in system ranges, and also slow information rate.

-'Tangle comm'/Quantum comm: uses entangled quantum states to instantaneously transmit data. Instant, utterly uninterceptible, but usually requires a set of tangled particles on both ends to work.

I had meant to include the data pod and a teleporter, but using a cellphone to check on the site limits the length of my posts.

Gravity comm - I don't think Trinity tech is up to this.

Quantum comm - probably banned under the knee jerk reaction against anything quantum or genetic.

Datapod - very expensive and need a handy Leviathan to use, but at least it can go extrasolar.

Continued next post

Teleportr - can go extrasolar much easier than a datapod, but is limited to a place that the jumper is familiar with. So unless the jumper is a mutual friend, some extra delay in delivering the message is inevitable

In America Offline, there's an allusion to another possibility on page 68, depending on the Storyteller. One of several possibilities given for the decrease in the Sun's neutrino output is given as numerous, microscopic black holes in the photosphere. It goes on to say that researchers who learn to harness this could develop a new method of FTL communication that doesn't involve psionics. I'm crap at physics, though, so don't ask me how it works. ::unsure

I've never been very clear on how the network works. Is it some complicated list of other Clears that each Clear needs to check each day and pass on by copying their message. What happens if someone moves out of your range?

Archived