Aberrant RPG - Level 4-6 Quantum Powers

metaphysician

PC: Temporal Manipulation + Mastery & Temporal Authority.

Mostly it gets used as a buffer on other characters, i.e. +10 extra actions per round. Odds are *someone* got lots of super-strength.

This is in one of the longest games I've been in so the PCs were around for a while and earned their Q6+. At the other extreme we have...

PC: Plank Scaling

Pretty much the first session the game got broken. We were supposed to be given a mysterious assignment to save the world by someone who was going to be assassinated before she can give us full information. His first IC action with PS was to reverse her murder and bring back the dead. And that was pretty much the end of the game.

I've never seen or been in a game where anyone other than Mal had Q8.

• 3 months later...

I've never seen or been in a game where anyone other than Mal had Q8.

*ponders*

Hmm. . . actually, on second thought, that may well be true of the Ancient Aberrant game, too. There are a couple of likely Q8 candidates. . . but I don't believe there's ever been more than one alive at the same time.

And, just random, but was this the campaign where you discovered how economically valuable Temporal Manipulation can be? ::biggrin

My last group, we had two. One character worked up to Q7 to get Quantum Authority, which meant that any sort of real conflict, he made about three rolls and retired to the back of the party while us boosted folk proceeded to kick ass. (My char: mental blast agg 3 + int 5 + m-int 5 = insta-death of bad guys)

The other was someone who swapped characters, and had Q6 with Disease Authority, maxed M-Stam, and nothing else in the way of powers. He was a total one-trick pony and generally got left behind to baby-sit the vehicles.

And, just random, but was this the campaign where you discovered how economically valuable Temporal Manipulation can be? ::biggrin
Yes but mostly in back story. We got sucked into a massive *time* war almost immediately and trying to reshape the social/political destiny of the world become a *minor* issue.

But this conversation *may* have given me a way to deal with Mal. Transfer his aberrations to someone else. Of course then you have the problem that instead of dealing with an insane god/monster you're now dealing with a sane god/monster... which might be worse.

Sane Mal also presumably wins the abby war (if it happens) and is an effective leader of his people (if that's what he wants).

There was some book I read where someone "cured" a god-powerful TK gal so she was sane. But that didn't change the fact that she was seriously pissed at pretty much everyone for good reason (being tortured, raped, enslaved, along with her entire people does that). Since she was basically everyone's enemy, she acted that way. One of her first acts was mass murder.

Yeah, but Sane Mal could be convinced that the Aberrant War is not the way he wants to go, and that the tools and ideas he was promoting are, in fact, pretty counterproductive. Notably, that promoting taint just results in everyone going insane, including himself.

I suppose this is one of those "what is taint and what is personality" quandaries, but really: he had already put himself through chrysalis three times even before 2008, its not exactly unreasonable to figure that his goals and methods as of then are the product of a shitload of taint ( chrysalis-ed or otherwise ). And I *seriously* doubt he fully understood what going through chrysalis would mean before he did so. . .

I know this was my idea but when I think about it I'm less and less sure it's a good one.

Assume Mal has a social disad of +10. Assume he has Megalomania and Schizophrenia and each of those give him +3. Let's say we do turn off one of those aberrations (it'd cost 30 juice or so).

Do we want to be dealing with a Q8 Megalomaniac wants to be worshiped and who understands Teras' inherit contradictions so his grand plans now have something to do with reality?

Or do we want to be dealing with a more humble, more practical nut who just isn't dealing with reality and who *doesn't* understand that his world isn't ours?

And either of these two would still have a +7 social diff. Heck, even if we get rid of both of his insanities we might not like what we end up with since a +4 social diff basically means he's not human.

I'd say the latter would be better, as presuming his general personality and ideology remain the same, he'd be even more inclined to do nothing significant than he normally is. In particular, without the megalomania, I think he'd probably ditch the Teragen pretty quickly ( sans the Megalomania, he'd be less inclined to think he can overcome the Teragen's stupidities, and less inclined to think he needed them to achieve 'world domination' ).

Net result? He either leaves Earth for something more interesting, or he goes off to the proverbial mountain, and dispenses his 'wisdom' only to those who make a specific effort to find him. At least if this occurs prior to the Aberrant War. During it, or if he's still around when it happens. . . is another story entirely.

If you could get him down to just +4 social penalty with no active mental aberrations, though, while he's obviously utterly inhuman still, and is certainly not going to get along well with ordinary humanity, *that* is the point where you could make meaningful negotiations or debates ( if your a mega smart, mega social nova, anyway ). In particular, now would be the time to present evidence that embracing taint, even via chrysalis, is contrary to the long term good of nova-kind.

• 2 years later...

Archived