Tumbleweeds

SkyLion

We used to have a thiriving community of games. Now it is merely a trickle. I suppose a better quetion might be "Where have all the STs gone?"

And before anyone looks at me Im a terrible ST...

On the other hand, I've always wondered about what kind of game Alex Green would run...? ::sly

Oh, would that I have time.

But as for what kind of game, the first thing I'd do is re-write the Mega-Stat rules so Mega-Strength doesn't stand out as an exception. I.e. the other 8 also give 5 automatic succ on skill rolls. ::devil Let's face it, the setting is built around this. A nova with Mega-App 1 is supposed to totally out shine any baseline, and that +0.9 succ doesn't cut it.

I'd tighten up the theme rules more than a small amount. I'd say you can't buy a mega unless you have a normal stat of 5, and have at least one associated skill of 5 (to supply theme).

This is why everyone wants to hire novas. A nova with Mega-1 and the right skill is averaging 9 succ, an optimized baseline (not that there are many of those) is only doing 4 succ. And with those rules we can just toss out the rules for competing megas, just roll normally and compare succ. This let's Mega-2 dominate mega-1, etc.

Note that "skill rolls" is not the same as "power rolls". Q-Powers sometimes get the normal mega-rules and sometimes use auto succ.

Issues:

1) Social Combat: All novas can spend a point of willpower and shake off a social attack. If you're stupid enough to not walk away the social nova can try again (and again).

2) Powers vs. Skills: For those situations where a skill roll is opposing a power roll (dodge vs. Q-bolt), either both novas use the original mega rolls or both use the new ones. There will be some funky situations where you do both. I.e. Claws+AP uses auto succ to hit but requires a mega-roll to calculate soak reduction.

3) Taint and other things that give penalties subtract from Megas first if available. Example: Blue Boy has two aberrations: Blue Skin & Blue Flesh (eyes, soft tissue) for a -1 penalty. He has Mega-App 2 so when dealing with baselines he only has 5 autosucc on style rolls.

4) The ST reserves the right to limit and/or reduce the number of total succ possible. Example: Bozo Joe has Mega-Int 3 and Medicine zero. If he expects to use his 15 auto succ for some off the cuff brain surgery he'll be disappointed. Ditto if he has Medicine 2. Many skills do not have a default use level.

For my part, a combination of RL interference & working with unfamiliar material have been my latest stumbling blocks AFA my work for the Mega-Physical project. Hopefully the latter will subside when I get through with the Mega-Dexterity/speedster material, but RL interference has been doing a real number on *everyone* in the Mega-Physical project as of late.

Yep, I thought it abnormaly quiet for the last week or so. However, it did give me time to catch up with all 220+ pages of the TDE game.

Speaking of which I had posted an idea for a game based on the Upeo order and exile, but so far have had no comments, let alone takers.

I just happened to pop my head in here and thought I'd answer the question from my own point of view. For starters, I really don't play any of the Trinityverse games anymore, other than running an Adventure! game at GenCon once a year. I'm pretty much focusing my gaming energies on Mutants and Masterminds, which I think is a much more balanced system than Aberrant, and Ars Magica 5th edition, to me the greatest fantasty rpg of all time (for the record, D&D is the best beer & pretzels fantasy rpg ::wink ). I've stopped running games online, though some M&M folks are trying to badger me into running one-shots, because I don't have the time and energy, and I'm sick of writing those damn sobbing 'ending another game' posts.

As fun as it would be to do a Aberrant War sourcebook of some sort based on my dearly departed WJ game (I still miss her, though the marriage had to end ::sad), but I don't have it in me do work on that and the comic (creeping closer to actual production, albiet at a snail-like pace), and I'm very excited about the comic, think it will be swell beyond swell.

I'm sorry to hear things have gotten so sleepy around here, but I'm not the man to rouse this forum from its slumber.

Well, I may not be a ProfPotts or Blue ninja (congrats on TDE, keep it going), but I'd be happy to run a Trinity game on any theme I could get the players for. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm familiar enough with all the Aberrant books to make a fair attempt at running that.

Thanks for the complement; Trans-D is certainly the longest running game I've been in (if you count real-life time, that is). It is considerably more difficult than I expected to continue running the game while out to sea. But I'm not giving it up, oh no! I wish it didn't have to crawl by (and hopefully the next episode won't, cross my fingers) but I am doing my best. It helps when I actually have the time to review the e-mail post summaries. I think I am going to have to change how/when I do it. Sadly, running two games, while probably enjoyable, would definately be beyond my abilities.

I wouldn't normally have had the time but I recently upgraded my cellphone (after 5 years+) to find I can now get the internet on my phone, so anywhere anytime I have a spare 5 min!

Unfortunately I haven't tried it on the file downloads for Ancient Aberrant yet, hopefully it will be able to read them.

ps. Any more interested in the game I'm trying to set up over in Trinity IC?

Archived