Trinity RPG: Stepping from the Light - Stepping from the light

Rorx

Since my email game at work has collapsed I thought I'd try to do one here.

The basic idea I had so far was one based on the Upeo, starting around the time of the exodus. All PC's would be members of the Upeo order, but any Aptitude (except QK, unless as Auxiliary).

Any takers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So no replies in 10 days, not even a comment.

I guess that either there is no interest in Trinity games here anymore or that people just don't bother to check the topic anymore.

Perhaps I should try again in the General Discussion before I give? ::brick ::sad

Well, I've never done one either! However, you could do a lot worse than looking over some of the threads/topics of the TDE Aberrant game that Blueninja runs.

Basically it looks like one In Character (IC) topic/thread and at least one Out Of Character (OOC) topic. In addition some info goes by PM if private for some reason.

Hope that helps and thanks for the vote of interest. ::smile

Even though I have most of the trinity books, it has never compelled me in the same way that Aberrant has.

Maybe I could be talked into it. I *do* have one character I never got a chance to play: a Norca Varg pilot who wears both a personal guyver-like suit and also fly's an advanced veritech like fighter...

I love that character...

Skylion, an ex-Norca (Varg) pilot would fit fine, but I'd have to see the stats/story for the devices.

All the PC's are to be members of the Upeo order although of a variety of Aptitudes and possible backgrounds. Non-Teleporters would have been with the order for at least 2 years. The start date for the game will be a couple of months before the Upeo go into exile, so about May 2113 (from memory).

Ah shit! I forgot the premise of the game (easy to do when the post is waaay up there... ::wink ).

That could be hard actually, considering almost noone becomes *ex* Norca and lives. I did however take teleport as an auxillary mode for that character.

Oh well...

That's not true, as long as you go through the ritual of being chucked out and severed from the "family" and don't reveal any of their secrets, then Pai de Norca doesn't have a problem with people who can't find a place within the Norca. Obviously they try to accomodate what you want to do within the Norca as much as possible first, but that isn't possible for everyone.

If you had a sufficiently strong desire to get out there ::smile and explore space in a way that the Norca couldn't accomodate then I think he would let you go - at least thats my reading of Terra Verde. ::sly

If you've got a Teleport Auxilliary do you have the other requirements to be a Teleporter (Psi 6+ and Will 6+, from memory)? Perhaps you were one of those that couldn't pass Atwan's final interview, or had a stronger Biokinetic affinity, and so went to the Norca before returning to the Upeo on leaving the Norca?

The Veritech fighter could be a problem as a starting device, but I can think of a possibility for later on... If you are still interested after these suggestions? ::smile

Character generation is standard plus 50xp. Abilities, backgrounds and modes can be taken over 3 with xp.

I will be using the expanded skills and backgrounds, as well as the merits and flaws from the TPG, but not the freeform Psi rules.

Since I like them you may have Auxilliary Modes, and with a highish Psi from multiple Aptitudes. Oppurtunities to learn further Auxilliaries may be available during the game.

I'll also be using some of the Options from the TPG, namely: Psi pts = 2xPermenant Psi, Zero Tolerance for unformatted biotech/bioware, and secret accumulation of pts towards Psi increases.

Well, this thread has had a fair number of people reading it, but not many expressing any interest in playing, or indeed interested but too many other commitments...

Luckily if/when a couple of guys I used to do an email game with get online and registered I should have the bear minimum to get started. Are you still interested SkyLion?

I am still interested but need to sort things out on the practical end. Part of the trouble I think is that this site is mostly frequented by Aberrant players. There is a small cadre of Trinity fans as well but they may not check in as often sincve there is often not enough contecnt happening for them.

Perhaps it might help people to get more jazzed if you start detailing more of your concept for the game and what sort of themes you would like to explore...

Fair point SkyLion.

Theme, I hadn't considered much beforehand, but I would have to say Unity (yeah I know). It's one of the Upeo's primary missions/objectives to keep humanity in contact, to keep them feeling human, and if possible bring people together. This is why the Longriders were probably the biggest group of the teleporters, although the Kupita had the more powerful ones (Ferrymen) they didn't have as many in pure number terms.

As an outline I see it starting a while before the Exodus, through the Exodus and then a variety of missions/requests during the years in Exile and into the Return. With the Return (assuming we ever make it that far) they would have to decide whether they stay with the Upeo or move out with the Starcrossed. Either way at that point they could be involved with the canon events of the Invasion and Deception books as well as general events surrounding the Return and public/political and Order reactions to it. Eventually there is the revelation of the new Order based in the UAN and their new chamber(s) with the upheaval that will cause, and the developments from there leading upto the Coalitions arrival.

Given the nature of the Teleporters need to gain familiarity with a location and/or person it is likely that there could be gaps between some of the missions of up to 6 months at a time. During which longer projects/training and/or colony development could be taking place.

Hopefully that ramble hasn't put anyone off!

For those wanting more action, the Upeo are the only ones at this time who can go up against both the Aberrants when they hit Khantze Lu Ge and the Chromatics at Karroo...

Cheers for the update SkyLion.

I've already given JC the RL names of a couple of guys I know who were willing to play, at least one has registered and is also awaiting authorisation as hblack.

Any idea when you might be able to dig out your stats for that Norca? Which game did you start to play him in (I'd guess Earth Surrounded)?

Heya Rorx!

So I found my charsheet but its in Excell format and my new harddrive doesnt have Microsoft office yet so its going to be a bit til I can view it again. I did find my Mecha write up in a saved hotmail though. PM me your email and i can forward it to you...

Cheerio!

Had a look, and no major problems, just a couple of minor points.

1. Sorry your device is out. The game starts in late 2113/early 2114 and the material isn't discovered until 2115.

2. Status(Aescupalian) - Since you've left that order it would be unsual to have much if any 'rank' within it still - best drop this down to 1 at most.

Background is fine so far. Since joining the Upeo is there any countries, or intra/extrasolar colonies that he has visited or made an impact on him?

That's draft sheets from 32767 and Snackula, anyone else reached that stage yet?

Skylion, still waiting for anything from you... ::biggrin

Had a look, and no major problems, just a couple of minor points.

1. Sorry your device is out. The game starts in late 2113/early 2114 and the material isn't discovered until 2115.

2. Status(Aescupalian) - Since you've left that order it would be unsual to have much if any 'rank' within it still - best drop this down to 1 at most.

Background is fine so far. Since joining the Upeo is there any countries, or intra/extrasolar colonies that he has visited or made an impact on him?

That's draft sheets from 32767 and Snackula, anyone else reached that stage yet?

Skylion, still waiting for anything from you... ::biggrin

Wow. I am used to being shot down in flames ::biggrin

A few mods, could you take the bonus point spent on the device and make it 3 ranks of speciality instead of 2? As for the device, I would still like to have it, so could you just make it standard (eg 1 cost, of the shelf). And lastly, could you take 1 point of status and put it in requisition?

As for background, he grew up in Brisbane and travelled to Sydney (both Australia) to study. Australia has a special place in his heart. He tried not to leave his order, but asked for a transfer. I guess it is up to the GM if it worked ::cool . As for places of impact after joining Upeo, the biggest impacts would have been the distant colonies and Paris. In the distant colonies they struggle to survive. All the have is what Upeo can give them. And Paris, they survive when logic says they should be dead. Both these places, the people have a strong will and hold onto what other would call nothing. (Plus he sees them as the most in need, which makes sense since he is a caregiver by nature (which I forgot to put on the sheet))

Please ask more questions. The more you ask, the better the character.

As for background, he grew up in Brisbane and travelled to Sydney (both Australia) to study. Australia has a special place in his heart. He tried not to leave his order, but asked for a transfer. I guess it is up to the GM if it worked ::cool . As for places of impact after joining Upeo, the biggest impacts would have been the distant colonies and Paris. In the distant colonies they struggle to survive. All the have is what Upeo can give them. And Paris, they survive when logic says they should be dead. Both these places, the people have a strong will and hold onto what other would call nothing. (Plus he sees them as the most in need, which makes sense since he is a caregiver by nature (which I forgot to put on the sheet))

Please ask more questions. The more you ask, the better the character.

You're still forgetting the premise of the game. ::ohmy

It is starting in 2113/2114, some months before the Upeo go into Exile and the Esperanza crashes into Europe/France. At this stage the Upeo are doing regular and chartered runs between Earth and the Colonies, and Paris is as alive/productive and partying as it has ever been (post the Aberrant War at least). The Core rules and later books are set in 2120 and onwards.

I'm afraid he'd have to have quit the Aescupalians and joined the Upeo full time for our purposes, otherwise when the time of Exile comes, he wouldn't be going along with them (or indeed doing the jobs the team will be asked to do in the run up to that event)! ::biggrin

You're still forgetting the premise of the game. ::ohmy

It is starting in 2113/2114, some months before the Upeo go into Exile and the Esperanza crashes into Europe/France. At this stage the Upeo are doing regular and chartered runs between Earth and the Colonies, and Paris is as alive/productive and partying as it has ever been (post the Aberrant War at least). The Core rules and later books are set in 2120 and onwards.

I'm afraid he'd have to have quit the Aescupalians and joined the Upeo full time for our purposes, otherwise when the time of Exile comes, he wouldn't be going along with them (or indeed doing the jobs the team will be asked to do in the run up to that event)! ::biggrin

Only one word can describe this "DOH!"

As for the background with the Aescupalians, I wanted it mostly as background, not to really count for anything. He will be dissapeard like everyone else in the order, and his first alligence is to Upeo, but part of him misses his old order.

I am not an expert with the timeline, and I wasn't aware of the status of the colonies, but I should have remembered about Paris. I mean, half a continent doesn't turn to rubble for no reason! Now I am a bit stuck. He would have "OOH"ed and "AHH"ed at a few places, but nothing would have made the impact that those places would have if the timeline was like I thought (what, you mean the timeline is a straight line and not a kids drawing ::rolleyes ) Since you have a MUCH better knowledge than me, could you suggest places that come close to what I was trying to get at?

Here's an excerpt from the Continum timeline (off this very website). I've edited it slightly for things the PC's wouldn't know about (yet?)

2103: Nihonjin re-opens it's borders and resumes commerce and trade

2104: Aberrants attack intersolar colonies; Norca spearhead colonization of Averiguas

2104-2109: Zweidler and Bhurano establish noetic theory

2105: Norca secretly helps victims of an earthquake that struck the Mayan League to recover and resettle; Pearl City is established, reviving Venezuela, after Norca stole the Nihonjin plans

2106: Sydney spaceport defense, world learns of Psions

2106-2120: Psi-Orders integrate with society

2107: First contact with the Qin; discovery of the Crab Nebula; first assassination attempt against Larssen

2108: Humans and Qin establish embassies on each others homeworlds; Persephone hydroponics complex destroyed by Aberrants; First Antarctic Campaign against Aberrants; second assassination attempt on Larssen; Ecuador hit by horrid earthquake, collapsing Guayaquil arcology, Norca join with Sudamerica in a show of solidarity to deal with the crisis

2109: Chitra Bhanu are accused of being in league with Aberrants and are wiped out; Karoo Mining Colony is constructed and regular relay between Khantze Lu Ge and China is begun; Orgotek (with Qin assistance) begins using microorganisms to terraform Mars, which will have the planet liveable within 75 years; Korean Revolt, Second Legion formed; Luis Trenton elected Aussie P. Min; several Chitra Bhanu are captured by the Norca and remain hidden from outside knowledge; Del Fuego begins copying himself to control different parts of his order personally

2110: Ruan Curwin discovers moon for Upeo transfer point; L.A.S.T. (Legions Aberrant Suppression Treaty) is signed by Larssen and F.S.A.; Tahuantinsuyo is constructed for the F.A.C. administration

2111: The DDSR is formed in southeastern Germany, the country is based on Der Welkende Staat; Aberrant Kios Dorit is captured trying to infiltrate U.N. complex; Renewed fighting between China and U.A.N. settlers on Mars

2112: Esperanza launched by Spain, Switzerland and the Northern Collective; Huruf al-Hayy is constructed; Upeo help colonize Far Nyumba and discover human miners from Eden

2113: First contact with Chromatics after attack on Karoo; Upeo make first contact with Eden, and later this year Atwan discloses knowledge to fellow Proxies; The Siege of Hashgar, the Second Legion assists in freeing from terrorists, the Mars campaign against the Colony begins

I'll expand on some things later...

Ouch. I have been trying to fit my character into that time-line, but it won't fit as is. If he was found in his last year of school, it can fit.

As for places that impacted him, I can't say much other than home, Australia. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

It depends what would interest/inspire him.

Khantze Lu Ge is an established colony of several 100,000's of people, but still needing a couple of decades of terraforming to be comfortable.

Averigaus is still being built by euro-american workers for Brazilian overlords under an unstable sun, with lichen as the most complicated native life.

Others to follow...

It depends what would interest/inspire him.

Khantze Lu Ge is an established colony of several 100,000's of people, but still needing a couple of decades of terraforming to be comfortable.

Averigaus is still being built by euro-american workers for Brazilian overlords under an unstable sun, with lichen as the most complicated native life.

Others to follow...

Yep, those would make an impact. Places are just places, it is the people that make a place. Places like the above would show spirit and determination. While the people may not thrive, the adversity gives the people strength (and give John an excuse to help ::biggrin ). It is people that truly matter, though once a places people have made an impact, the land itself can hold a special place in ones heart, especially if the "taint" is removed first. Did I mention John is of the caregiver nature ::biggrin

I have not played a real RPG. I have had attempts, but they usually die shortly, and most of my attempts shouldn't count. As such, I have had a lot of time with rules for various systems without play, which can bring out a bit of a munchkin. The thing I like about Trinity is that even as it constricts your options, it allows you to create a special character that is hard to munchkin. I an greatly looking forward to this game, and practising true roll playing, as opposed to role playing.

I must send my apologies to skylion, who helped me get this account. I dropped of the face of the world for a while after I lost my job. In all the stuff I was dealing with, (and that I am a novice in rpg's) I could not keep involved in a character whose world view was so different to mine. (a character from the 1920's playing with people from the 2010's)

Thank you for this opportunity. If I do not play as you would like, please let me know, as this game is not for the players, it is for players and GM.

Closer to home, the people of Mars, not long done with armed conflict between Chinese and other countries colonists, is now fighting off an invasion by the Colony and a force of Aberrants. The colonists are helped in this by what will become the 7th Legion, and a variety of other psion and neutral volunteers.

Closer to home, the people of Mars, not long done with armed conflict between Chinese and other countries colonists, is now fighting off an invasion by the Colony and a force of Aberrants. The colonists are helped in this by what will become the 7th Legion, and a variety of other psion and neutral volunteers.

Yeah, those type of places. He will always call Australia home though.

BTW, how are the other characters going? I hope you are not waiting on me! Do you need more characters to start?

Snackula has done his stats but needs a little work on his background. SkyLion is a possible if he can find the character and we can agree how he would fit in. Two guys who have played previous games should be joining us. I know one has had some trouble getting registered, but hopefully thats cleared up now.

That would give us 4-5 to start with and Alistare may be joining us a couple of Episodes in.

If you know of any others who are interested then it shouldn't be a problem in this format of game. ::biggrin

Not much really, yours is just about done. I'll look at making those changes that we have already mentioned here.

From your side I think it is just to write up you background, either onto the character sheet or elsewhere so we have it in one handy place to look over and perhaps clarify.

Now, it is going to be waiting for the others to sort out their problems registering and getting characters in.

SkyLion is busy, but hopefully will be able to dig out/send in his (ex-)Norca and Alistaire will hopefully send me his idea/background for joining us later.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly Ive thought about it and thought about and thought about it......annnnd. Well I really don't vibe with the idea of playing an ex-Norca. You have to understand that ex-Norca are incredibly rare. When someone wants to leave the Norca, the Pai goes to extreme lengths to convince them to stay, using overwhelming pheromones that are the equivalent to mega socials....and my character doesn't have the socials to really resist that. In fact he is rather young and naieve in some ways.

However, if you would consider it, my character could be a spy for the Norca within the Upeo. In fact he could have been publicly banished from the Norca. So during the "exit-interview" with the Pai, its really the Pai having him go on a personal mission. I would take Backing in Upeo but take a 2 or 3 dot mentor for the pai to represent "a mentor of true power who has little time for you.) to show that he doesn't have direct contact iof but rarely.

Its more of a Norca thing to do, being infiltrators and such, and fits he theme of Trinity which seems to be more about political intrigue and the convoluted plots games and relationships that weave through the various psi orders and the Aeon Trinity,

Originally this character was to be the test pilot for a prototype new variable configuration VARG developed in concert with the Norca, Orgotek and the Proteus arm of the Aeon Trinity. Super secret, like Lockheeds early work on stealth planes/bombers/interceptors....a real skunk works type collaboration.

If there is any way to preserve the integrity of my concept, then I think I will still be interested. If not, well no hard feelings and its not personal but I would otherwise not have the inspiration. Sometimes ya got to go with your gut and play the character that calls to you or not at all.

All the best.

A Norca infiltrator I can see and could work in ok.

Just trying to work out the Veritech stuff, and you also mentioned a Guyver style suit at one point.

As an officially ex-Norca he wouldn't be allowed on a joint Norca project. However, the Norca are much more likely to do it alone (Biosystems) or with Aeon than with Orgotek. On the other hand I could see the Upeo asking Orgotek to come up with a new versatile hybrid fighter for protecting and assissting exploration expediations.

As one of the very few Varg/fighter pilots in the Upeo it would be likely for him to be assigned to the project, especially if it was to be biotech.

It would be natural for the project to be influenced by its test pilot, hence the progression into a variable form fighter.

Was it to be the full 3 form Veritech? Do you have the stats for it still? We may have to adjust them as presumably it is being designed/built about 6 years before it was in your previous game.

Given the distrust/problems growing between the Proxies, your project would have "come up for review", and "put on hold, pending the outcome of the review". This means that you may not have access to it for a couple of episodes, but you will after that.

A Norca infiltrator I can see and could work in ok.

Just trying to work out the Veritech stuff, and you also mentioned a Guyver style suit at one point.

As an officially ex-Norca he wouldn't be allowed on a joint Norca project. However, the Norca are much more likely to do it alone (Biosystems) or with Aeon than with Orgotek. On the other hand I could see the Upeo asking Orgotek to come up with a new versatile hybrid fighter for protecting and assissting exploration expediations.

Depends. The whole point of the Aeon Trinity in Trinity is to facilitate joint efforts between the different orders.

As one of the very few Varg/fighter pilots in the Upeo it would be likely for him to be assigned to the project, especially if it was to be biotech.

It would be natural for the project to be influenced by its test pilot, hence the progression into a variable form fighter.

Was it to be the full 3 form Veritech? Do you have the stats for it still? We may have to adjust them as presumably it is being designed/built about 6 years before it was in your previous game.

Given the distrust/problems growing between the Proxies, your project would have "come up for review", and "put on hold, pending the outcome of the review". This means that you may not have access to it for a couple of episodes, but you will after that.

Yes it is a fully functional veritech and it is a combination of bio and hardtech systems. The biotech makes for even more elegant shapeshifting than the Macross Valkyries.

Its already stated out and was approved for BN's game so I think you will like it. Same thing with the guyver suit...its based on the infiltrator class of power suit vargs.

Glad to see we are getting to an accord!

That's one thing Aeon does, but Atwan Bolade doesn't like them for all their backroom deals and secrets, and the Norca are notorious for not joining in with joint things, the trading of latent psions being one of them. It is inevitable that the Aeon Trinity will know about the project but the Upeo would rather keep them out of it as much as possible.

So I need some info from you SkyLion - files? - for the character, background (will have to alter for different section of the time line), stats for guyver and Veritech, and iff possible anything on the altered Peregrine that you were to use to carry the Veritech in BN's game.

Archived