R.I.P. Gary Gygax

As some of you may be aware, the Grandfather of Gaming died today aged 69. It is hard to quantify how much of influence Gary was on the early development of rpgs, but suffice to say that without him, the roleplaying of today would not be what it is. I remember the first rpg I ever played; D&D (the original D&D Basic, 1st edition). The game written primarily by Gary and the basis for so, so many more. So many memories, so much fun and the beginning of my long journey down the road of all things roleplay.

Gary, you will be missed. Role a natural 20 for me...

Jackson Creed

While I consider D&D to have long since gone to seed as an RPG, back when it first came out it was indeed revolutionary. I remember buying the red AD&D boxed set at a Toys'R'Us back in the early 80's, and being blown away by my first taste of roleplaying.

R.I.P., Mr. Gygax.

Say what you will about the man's politics and gaming philosophy, he was the one who pioneered Pen and Paper RPG's. Every one of us,from the casual beer and pretzels crew, to the 3 session a week hardcores, to those who might one day make a living doing this, we owe him our sincerest thanks.

Pour some mountain dew and hand me my dice.

DnD helped my math too! (When you didn't just add...)

:tombstone:

D&D helped us all with math. Was there ever a more important reason to know how to compute spherical volume from a radius than to make sure your magic-user didn't catch himself (or the party) in the blast of his Fireball spell? Sure, there was that geometry class exam, but spellcasting. . . that had consequences!

Here's your two gold pieces for the ferryman, Gary. Don't pay him—don't even fix a price—until he gets you to the other side.

Archived