Hancock

Arcanum_V

Hancock. Edit: Link all busted now. Looks like Sony pulled the plug on the free advertising. ::sad

Anyhow, about the Will Smith movie Hancock for which there is now no trailer on YouTube. . .

I'm not a huge fan of Will Smith, but I think this might one of the most promising movies this summer. At least it's fresh (no 2s or 3s in this title!), it's not another adaptation, it doesn't have any magical children in it (I hope), and it's not about a fantastic world of unicorns and centaurs and the children who save them from evil.

AFAICT there's no reason for there not to be a few "Hancocks" in the Aberrant setting. Given that we already have some people (of questionable sanity) dressing up in costumes to fight crime in RL, it's inevitable that some unofficial public defenders would fit this mold. ::sly

AFAICT there's no reason for there not to be a few "Hancocks" in the Aberrant setting. Given that we already have some people (of questionable sanity) dressing up in costumes to fight crime in RL, it's inevitable that some unofficial public defenders would fit this mold. ::sly
True, but it won't be as bad there. Drugs, including alcohol, have little effect on novas, including and especially the mega-stamina brick types. View novas have as much power as superman. And there are other novas who can and will step in, either with physical powers or social abilities or both. Presumably the opposite is also true, a social nova could encourage someone to drink, but hopefully that will be rare since very few people are going to want a drunk superman running around... no one has any clue what he's going to do.

This trailer makes me laugh out loud every time I see it; I'm curious to see if he's the only super in the world, or if there are others and he's just at the bottom of the heap. From the look of it he may well have a drinking problem, but the main issue is him not giving a damn. He's got the basic 'do-gooder' instincts, but lacks the responsible personality to follow through right.

• 6 months later...

I saw the movie of Hancock this afternoon. The movie isn't quite what the trailers paint it to be, though they do fairly well on the character of Hancock - he's a guy with super-powers who's miserable with his life, and acts like it. He does a crappy job as a "super hero" which makes the public unhappy with him, so they treat him like shit, and he feels justifiably miserable ... continue ad nauseum.

Overall I thought the movie was an 8.0/10. Far better than Wanted.

Havent't seen Wanted yet but was dissapointed once again that Hollywood changed it from the comic which was so much cooler and revolutionary. Hollywood has no balls when it comes to great art.

Hancock was cool in a mediocre way. It was cool to see Superpowers done in a "real world" sfx kind of way and the weather manip scene was awesome. Even the mythology was interesting enough. The problem was it was just too small and too brief a stroy. it wasn't meaty enough to raise it above mediocre fluff. Iron Man was solid and The Dark Knight is going to set a new standard... :batlogo: ::glare ::happy

From what I've seen (was treated by a pal), Hancock is a marginal success at best. The superhuman antics were great, but the mythology aspect felt like the story had been knocked askew, & not in a good way.

I imagine I'll wait until the DVD appears on the discount racks before spending my own money on it.

Archived