Trinity Universe: Backlash Universe

Expendable

Guys, I don't think you or me will have any fun if you spend all your time just "hiding out". You all have useful skills and knowledge that the Network would be stupid not to use. Plus if I just left you all "spread out" avoiding the man, doin' your own thang, it'll be harder to run.

San Diego, being right next to the Mexican boarder has an INS Branch office. And a lot of smuggling. There's a couple military bases and a Seal team. Major headaches. But it's also a transportation hub. Ships, boats, buses, trucks, trains, planes. Cities eat a lot of food. They throw away a lot of food too.

The Network needs a crew to handle problems - troubleshooters. A public nova eruption here brings police quick. So does a nova fight - one of you already knows how messy things can get if a nova decides to take on the cops. There are supplies and services the Networks needs that they can't get without a lot of attention. You know how much a Nova eats. A safehouse could get raided at any time. If the INS is already looking for someone, there can be problems just doing a pick up. So in San Diego, the Network needs a 'flying rescue squad', a group that handles all the problems. If a Nova goes berzerk, you're the ones who have to contain it. If we need someone to pick up a package being smuggled across the boarder, steal supplies, or get someone out of the city without being caught, you're the guys who do it all. Underground heroes.

And when there isn't any emergencies, you guys can do the whole "trying to live a normal life in the shadows" thing.

The hardest part is tying you guys all together. SkyLion's got a great character but there's a couple problems with it that doesn't mesh well with how I want to run this. But I'm trying to work it out with him - even if it means he's still "on the outside" but unofficially part of the flying squad. And the local network admin's biggest headache. Thanks Sky.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me Ex...that is what he's good at!

lol.

My character is a bit conflicted about being a nova (he lived in Baltimore before it...wasn't Baltimore anymore), so he's just a guy in the system who the network is helping hide. But he's a former cop and doesn't have alot of love for the government which has now turned on him just because he became a nova (which he had no control over), so its only a matter of time before he wants to start helping out.

In short: my guy is down for the cause.

lol.

My character is a bit conflicted about being a nova (he lived in Baltimore before it...wasn't Baltimore anymore), so he's just a guy in the system who the network is helping hide. But he's a former cop and doesn't have alot of love for the government which has now turned on him just because he became a nova (which he had no control over), so its only a matter of time before he wants to start helping out.

In short: my guy is down for the cause.

Right - you know cop things. Knowledge the Network needs. But I'd be lying if I told you the local Network Admin isn't concerned about you too.

Hey Ex. Would you prefer me to part of the Network as well? I think I went with Nova America...But I can switch if need be.

They both help each other, you don't need to switch. Your outlook's gonna just be a little different, that's all. Maybe I should have made you take the signature flaw.... ;)

What is Nova America? its possible I just missed it in the middle of my crazy schedule.

I am seeing if I can tweak my character to fit in better, now that I understand more about the story Ex is trying to tell. That or coming up with something different. Ive been swamped lately too, so my moments to devote thought to this have been intermittant but hopefully it shan't be too much longer. One way/character or another I think the setting has mad potential.

Right - you know cop things. Knowledge the Network needs. But I'd be lying if I told you the local Network Admin isn't concerned about you too.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...I'd be worried if the leadership wasn't a bit concerned about me. Hell, I'm concerned about me. I mean, I'm Hulk-esque but even my human form is angry!

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...I'd be worried if the leadership wasn't a bit concerned about me. Hell, I'm concerned about me. I mean, I'm Hulk-esque but even my human form is angry!

Starbucks employee: "Thank you officer, here is your soy late"

Sabelsma: "soy? You're making me angry...you wouldn't like me when I'm angry!"

• 3 weeks later...

Im glad youre back Ex! I do need to submit a character to you. Since you were away and this other game had a snappy deadline I focused my attention there. Now that I know you are back I will give it my due diligence.

I have an all new PC that doesnt have the problems the last one does. I still owe Alex a PM since our character prob know each other.

Well, with Ex back up and running in good health again, I finally got my character approved. I'll be playing Morgan Jeremiah Fox, aka Jeremiah Malcom Jackson, a former mechanic in his mid-50's from Vista, California who joined up with the Network after his eruption about a year and a half ago.

He's Q5 and in addition to having both Spatial Manip and Grav Control, he can also open warps and he has Disintegrate (and he also has Q-bolt, but this is thematically just a lesser form of his Disin, so it's treated as essentially the same power). For all of that power though, he's still basically a normal guy with mostly normal Attributes and skills, and a real low-key, understated personality. Like Sablesma's character, he'll probably be spending a decent amount of time Dormed (he has Aberrant Eyes, and I took Black Thumb as a flaw, so he can't just waltz down the street as a nova), and just about all of his time smoking one of his ever-present cigarettes.

Aside from using his mechanical skills (which are only good by baseline standards) to help out around the Network, Morgan uses his abilities to provide occasional transport when needed and also takes part in the "flying rescue squad" when needed. Some within the organization might wish that he was a little more ambitious in his involvement, but his powers and versatility make him a pretty handy guy to have around, so no one's really complaining.

Morgan drives a 1966 Ford Mustang II, the closest thing he has to flashy or stylish clothing is an old leather jacket that he wears much of the time, and he almost always has a lit cigarette in his hand (and he has the interesting habit of alternating between filtered and hand-rolled from time to time). Aside from that, when he's dormed, he looks like any other black man in his 50's who's spent most of his life fixing cars. When he isn't dormed he looks the same, except that his eyes look like they're made of light and even in direct sunlight their glow is apparent.

He hooked up with the Network almost immediately after his eruption because his son, a former petty thief and con-artist, had become involved with the Network handling some of its smuggling operations ((and Alex, if you're interested, there is the possibility of a "six degrees of seperation" type of connection between our characters - that is assuming you still have all of those criminal contacts - in the form of Morgan's son, Deandre)).

I imagine Morgan will largely fill the roll of the team's transportation (and not just those warps either, don't forget that stylish ride of his ::wink ), but obviously his Disintegration and Suite powers make him a force to be reckoned with offensively as well. Oh, and as for the question, "Why doesn't he leave America if he can open warps?" Because he doesn't want to, that's why.

...in addition to having both Spatial Manip and Grav Control, he can also open warps and he has Disintegrate... For all of that power though, he's still basically a normal guy
Well, that's one way to phrase it.

And I'm very pleased to see someone take warp, it makes lots of things possible. You also appear to have coverd both the combat extremes, i.e. one big bad guy and lots and lots of small ones.

He hooked up with the Network almost immediately after his eruption because his son, a former petty thief and con-artist, had become involved with the Network handling some of its smuggling operations ((and Alex, if you're interested, there is the possibility of a "six degrees of seperation" type of connection between our characters - that is assuming you still have all of those criminal contacts - in the form of Morgan's son, Deandre)).
I do and I am.
Oh, and as for the question, "Why doesn't he leave America if he can open warps?" Because he doesn't want to, that's why.
That's more or less true for us all.

Im glad youre back Ex! I do need to submit a character to you. Since you were away and this other game had a snappy deadline I focused my attention there. Now that I know you are back I will give it my due diligence.

I have an all new PC that doesnt have the problems the last one does. I still owe Alex a PM since our character prob know each other.

I never got an approval from you. I thought maybe you were struggling with how awesome my character is*.

*pretty clearly not the case.

Yeah, I figured it'd always go something like this:

--------------

Expendable enters the room with a glass of water and sits down at her computer.

Okay, I've got some free time...Check the forums...nope, nothing besides the Totetentanz argument and the Picture Fight...I guess I can work on Backlash...

"Okay, Ex, you can do this. Its just a character approval. You've approved all the others, you can do just this one."

Beads of sweat appear on her forehead as she clicks the mouse a few times.

Okay, right, I can do this. Oh wow...perfectly chosen abilities...background dots obviously painstakingly chosen and exactly right...oh no...powers blatantly ripped off hulk...yet...so awesome...must...resist...giving tons of XP now based purely on awesomeness...head swimming

With a look somewhere between awe and nausea, Ex knocks the mouse off the table, throws the whole glass of water in her face and stumbles to the couch where she lays down.

"#$@&% it, I'll approve Sablesma's character tomorrow. Its just...its just too good for me to handle right now"

END SCENE

----------------

Approximately like that.

I know I had that problem with approving your AR character.

The awesomeness contained within that one, gleaming white Excel sheet changed my life man. Changed it completely....

Yeah, hopefully this character sheet isn't having the same sort of awesome* problems.

*awesome: adj, having problems with basic counting, following instructions.

Oh, I'm sure it's fine. There's only 17 more points and an entirely different dot-award spread for purchases to deal with. I mean, how many mistakes can a person make with so few variables to worry about? ::indifferent ::wink

wait.

17 more points...?

different dot-award point spread?

oh no

variararables?

/loses mind

/shits pants

• 2 weeks later...

So where are we at with this? Is Sablesma's character still making Ex's brain numb and limbs go to sleep?

I mean the guy just plain makes you tired...his character sheets might as well.

Um wait... ::unsure

was that... ::unsure

Yeah, that was out loud just then. Swears!

That and another hospital visit. *sigh* Sorry guys, I've been in so much pain I couldn't type until a few days ago. I'm still on pain meds and seeing a chiropractor who's trying to "adjust" me - but the pain is making it hard to sleep.

Will try to get this going soon.

-ex.

I reccomend massage therapy. Chiropracty is an easy field to abuse. Many of my clients have foudn that merely popping someones spine doesnt lead to any lasting change and things can be compressed again within minutes.

having said that if you do find a chiropractor who really knows what they are doing and takes an integrative approach well they can be really awesome. Can be hard to find though, for that matter so can a good massage therapist.

For self healing try yoga. It helps posture, alignment, can be done at any level and various poses can aid the internal organs which i am sure are being taxed by meds. Note that you shouldnt stop taking them without advice from your doctor and i dont know your specifics. Just saying that once you have recovered yoga is great preventative care. As can be massage and soaking in hot water. ::happy

Hope you feel better soon. take all the time you need.

Archived