Trinity Universe: Backlash Universe

Expendable

crap I'm lazy. Hopefully will have something submitted by tomorrow night. I have a concept, just need to put pen to paper...and foot to ass!

I am going very slow as well. I've had access to only some dial up (it hurts). Now that the holidays are over I'll hopefully go find some juicy wireless to get on for a few hours and get my man submitted.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok so my character idea for this game will be akin to Mastermind. I'm working with illusions and such and have chosen Mirage. Skylion tells me that Mirage can be taken with Extra: Area so I can affect multiple targets at once. Is this correct? I was hoping it was...but I'm not entirely sure.
Personally I don't see a reason why not, and there are a number of NPCs who have other mental powers with Area... but I'm not ST so that's just me.

The thing to keep in mind is with area you have to do the same thing to everyone in it's range. So everyone would get the same illusion, you can't microcraft it. On the other hand IMHO you could do things like make all the PCs invisible or appear to be other people, but they'd be invisible to each other and themselves as well. Or you could make a dollar bill appear to be a hundred dollar bill but it would still cost you 3q and again you'd have to do it for everyone. Well... everyone except yourself since you're immune to your own powers, if you have attune 5 you could extend that to other people.

IMHO it's a pretty strong concept and not seen very often considering how strong it really is.

Alex and I once discussed MIRV for mental powers...In our humble opinions, MIRV as written is for Q Bolt, and doesnt reduce the damage adds. Since Mental powers tend to have lower dice pools, its not the same. The extra needs to be modified to work with such powers...

MIRV, split among 20 people, nails them all with that powers auto-succ (which here would be zero), and splits the effect dice among them (so they'd all get a big one die of effect). So basically it's grim, and doesn't work much better split only 2 or 3 ways. MIRV would also force you to know where people are and be able to target them, you couldn't say 'everyone' because you have to select targets.

There are many mental effects for which Area would be a mixed blessing. M-Blast for example.

Mirage however is mostly not one of them. You could force everyone to experience life under water... and the novas have powers that let them breath. You could create duplicates of all the novas and make the real ones invisible. You could make the entire crowd see the anti-nova police killing someone for refusing to open a door for them.

The possibilities are endless... you could also have a swarm of bees/dogs/demons attack everyone but the novas. Just because the illusion power has to work against everyone doesn't mean the illusion itself has to.

If you wanted to be really sneaky you could also buy Psi-Link and if a fellow nova fell under your spell you could mentally contact him and tell him to snap out of it. Although keep in mind doing that last bit would be done under a +2 difficulty so you might want a Dot or two in Mega-Perception. Considering you're talking about a telepath that's a good thing anyway.

Particularly nasty is Telepathy: telepathic channel, combine with these powers...you can target...anyone in the world from wherever you are!
It's over rated at 30 nova points.

You make the Channel, fine you can attack now... at a +2 Diff. And you are totally helpless to defend yourself (+4 Diff on all actions) while you're doing this.

BTW, I think we might have scared Ex away... ::wink
Let's hope not. And even if she changes her mind on running this she's still welcome to hang around here.

Alex you may know this too. Does the Mega Manip adder "Trickster" add to mirage?? The way it is written , I would get three auto successes any time i try to trick someone...Mirage would be nothign but tricking people if you ask me. What you think?

On the area idea...I like that better. Maybe I have two powers, one mirage is for one person, the other is AOE. That could work too. I just dno't want to make a character that disable s the PC's too much. That isn't fun for anyone.

I would expect that it would only add to Ability rolls, not power rolls.

That's how all or most all of the other enhancements work... and off hand I can't think any exceptions. The reason it's written so broadly is because you might be using one of a number of different abilities.

On a slightly different subject, I'm of the opinion Trickster and Persuader should almost never be usable together. English is too flexible on this point. Tickerster should be useable with lies and deception, Persuader for long term opinions. For example if you're trying to talk a bouncer into letting you into a night club, although English lets you say "I try to persuade him to let me in", Trickster is almost certainly the appropriate enhancement.

Alright, character submitted. John Doman, former homicide detective in the Baltimore City Police Department. He was on the very outskirts of the blast. In the hospital for a few weeks, he woke up to a world where everyone and everything he knew was gone. Didn't take it very well, started drinking...alot.

His nova form is massive, super tough, super strong, can fly. He's very uncomfortable with his nova powers though. As of the beginning of the game, he's only transformed into his nova aspect twice including his eruption.

I would expect that it would only add to Ability rolls, not power rolls.

That's how all or most all of the other enhancements work... and off hand I can't think any exceptions. The reason it's written so broadly is because you might be using one of a number of different abilities.

On a slightly different subject, I'm of the opinion Trickster and Persuader should almost never be usable together. English is too flexible on this point. Tickerster should be useable with lies and deception, Persuader for long term opinions. For example if you're trying to talk a bouncer into letting you into a night club, although English lets you say "I try to persuade him to let me in", Trickster is almost certainly the appropriate enhancement.

Hmmm...Well Trickster or Persuader might work in tandem with The Voice..and probably with Hypnotic Gaze which itself can work with the Hypnosis Skill and (IMHO) the Hypnosis power...

His nova form is massive, super tough, super strong, can fly. He's very uncomfortable with his nova powers though. As of the beginning of the game, he's only transformed into his nova aspect twice including his eruption.

Im having misgivings about this...I know our actual characters are *completely* different..but powerwise they seem nearly identical..ie Superman...

If you wanted to go for a Hulk theme Id say take superleap instead of Flight. Also how much Strength and Stamina did you take?

Dunno..just seems like we are stepping on each others toes here abit, but maybe that won't matter given the other differences... ::unsure

Oh c'mon...two flying characters isn't steppin on anyone's toes. Deep breaths and life is good.

Character submitted:

Nova Name: Facade

Has the ability to make dreams into reality by altering the minds of those in a close proximity. He is a staunch supporter of Nova America and has been with the movement since its inception. He fights for Nova rights, only once having to loose his power on a group of baselines. Several of them were killed in the chaos that followed. He does not believe that taking another person's life is right, but its a war. In war there are casualties.

The rest of his life is rather well hidden, though he doesn't tend to hide much. What must you hide when you can rewrite reality?

2 flying characters? Not a problem. Two flying Mega Strong, Brick Types...that's stealing "spotlight" time. Ideally everyone has their own niche.

I have not yet submiited a sheet because Ex still hasn't gotten back to me on the finer points of my idea and I don't want to write it all out before I know it's kosher.

I hope you all (and especially Sablesma) will forgive my misgivings.

I understand what you mean, but I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. Our powers are going to be similar, but our characters are going to be verrrry different. We'll be a nice one-two punch in combat but I don't see any overlap in role playing at all. I wouldn't be too worried about your spotlight time either, there will be alot of situations where my character will simply be a guy with guns because his nova form attracts alot of attention.

You don't have to apologize, I understand your misgivings, but I don't think it'll be too big of a deal.

That being said, if alot of the other players think its too much redundancy or, more importantly, Ex doesn't want to big strong types...I wouldn't have a big problem changing. The character concept would stay relatively the same but I've got another idea or two.

As of before my post #75 I'd (re?)submitted my character, and I think it will pass this time.

On the subject of being big and strong in combat, don't expect that from me. Jason (I need a nova name BTW. 'Airwalker'? Just 'Walker'?) is FAR more a stealth guy than a combat machine. To be bunt he's not build for nova level combat, or even baseline anti-nova combat.

He's got 5 dots in Intrusion and some spiffy powers... but Matter Cham doesn't a combat machine make.

Alex: Depends on how many dots and how much Mega-Stamina you have. Maxed Matt Cham is like an infinitely versatile Bodymorph...a diamond earing is all you need to be a nasty opponent...

Sablesma: Well....okay. Ij ust didn't want us to both be going for the same thing. And for the record I am taking M Str and Stam at 3 each...

Anyone heard from Ex lately?

Okay, I've revisited my character concept, and I'm getting rid of flight. I've adjusted his image in my mind a bit, and now he's gonna be stuck on the ground. Well, except for jumping. I don't think having two tanks is gonna be too much of a problem. Someones gotta take the hits for these sneaky manipulators.

I'm not sure what my exact stats are gonna be (now I've got a few nova points to work with), but I think I'm gonna be a bit stronger and tougher than you. Also 6' taller and about 1250 lbs heavier.

Ah. My mistake. I thought you said you were going to build your whole character around Matt Cham, which implied more dots at the very least.
No problem.
What on Earth did you spend all your points on? I doubt you were a luddite when it comes to Taint.
We're entering a world where to be tainted is to carry a big sign saying "shoot me". We're probably going to spend a lot of time dormed. My character needed a Q5 in order to buy his big stealthy power.

Spending them was no problem, and if I'd had a lot of them left over I would have gotten a dot of M-Stamina.

Alex: Depends on how many dots and how much Mega-Stamina you have. Maxed Matt Cham is like an infinitely versatile Bodymorph...a diamond earing is all you need to be a nasty opponent...

Sablesma: Well....okay. Ij ust didn't want us to both be going for the same thing. And for the record I am taking M Str and Stam at 3 each...

Anyone heard from Ex lately?

Sorry, I've been busy. I'm still crafting some of the basics of this world but we should be good to go shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Ex ... when're we starting, huh? ::confused ::smile

There's a few more characters/players I'm waiting to hear from. And this week I've got ta lot of people trying to reach me - you don't want to know. I should be clear by Friday but as soon as I've approved the last characters we'll get started.

There's a few more characters/players I'm waiting to hear from. And this week I've got ta lot of people trying to reach me - you don't want to know. I should be clear by Friday but as soon as I've approved the last characters we'll get started.

Yeah, I'm still waiting on approval...If you didn't get everything, let me know Ex. Otherwise...no real rush.

Remember everyone, although this is an underground thing I'm expecting you guys to work together as a team. Characters that come and go at whim are npcs.

Expendable was refering to me with that. Apparently they don't like the idea of being somone who is allied with the network rather than a live in refugee. I don't know how I feel about this. Why must we be live ins? There is so much potential in this setting.

My character in question has teleport and a psychic link....of course he can come and go at will. So why doesnt he just leave the country? Well I don't want to reveal until In character but he has very strong and valid reasons for helping the network.

Or am I missing something?

Archived