Adventure! RPG: Adventures of the Mystical and Mundane - IC

"Ssssurprising Mr. Algretto. I thought you don't believe in ghostsss and goblinz."

Algretto glances at the Ophidian and with a non chalant jolt of his eyebrows he continues on his stogie.

"Sorcery and Necromatic...practices...may very well be in play here MisssterSinclair. I must send a telegram immediately." And with that the menacing man takes his leave towards the nearest post, there to contact an ancient man of some aquaintance with the mystic arts of the Orient.

The Ophidian, by way of the Sherriff whom he has nearly complete control over, uses the city teletype to send his message. He is assured by a deputy that any response will be taken to him in all haste

"I believe, Misster Algretto, that what we have encountered is no mere man or beast of natural law. We two have seen it with our own eyes and our stalwart Mr. Odo may have payed dearly. Our investigation has only jusst begun, and we have not yet been able to perform the necsssesary autopsy. I strongly suspect the adrenals and other parts of the endocrine system have been removed from the body. The Jiang-shi is not alive, nor either dead but must sustain it's own existence by consuming the chi of mortals. Chi found most abundantly pooled within certain glands and the nervous system. Here, see for yourself..."

Hadrian opens up his tome to show Mr. Algretto what he had been showing the others just before the attack.

Algretto glances at the picture, turning the book to see it right side up. He seems a bit more serious as he silently reads a small excerpt from the book.

"So you suspect that whatever did this is eating the adrenal glands from his victims. That is about the most awful thing I've ever heard."

"I have contacted one of my associates with experience in wards and banishment. He may be able to provide some of the answers we seek. In the meantime, I ssugest we continue to endeavor on with the scientific methods at our disposal..."

Again Algretto seems to nod if not in approval than in agreement.

"Well perhaps you could take these leads out into the world and see what you can dig up. Odo was your direct medical personel. He was to perform the neccessary autopsy, but now it seems that he may not be up to it for a few days. I can have a car take you to Atlanta if you want to compare notes with him. Other wise, you have full authority to continue the investigation. Arrangements have been made, with Deacon and with the local Magistrate. As long as you don't kill anyone, you should have full cooperation."

He gets up from the table and smooths the wrinkles from his white linen suit.

"Oh, and I'd keep this zombie monster theory between ya'll" His toothy grin and a nod are his goodbye's as he moves through the diner and back out into the street.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He stands, "Now, if I might be excused a moment, I believe I have a few questions to ask. Good luck to you all!"

As he ambles toward the door of the diner, William fishes a silver pocketwatch on a thin silver chain from his waistcoat pocket, that he proceeds to pops open. If anyone is listening closely they might hear him mutter seemingly to himself, "Now which one of these people might be willing to tell me something useful about this creature I wonder...the waitress? the sheriff?"

The needle of the watch wavers a bit then moves quickly back towards the diner pointing roughly at the table he just left. It then moves slightly but steady back to the left. A quick glance and he believes it be the waitress. ((As irony would have it! :-D Nice call!))

He gets up from the table and smooths the wrinkles from his white linen suit.

"Oh, and I'd keep this zombie monster theory between ya'll" His toothy grin and a nod are his goodbye's as he moves through the diner and back out into the street.

William grins back wryly... "Oh, don't you worry..."

The needle of the watch wavers a bit then moves quickly back towards the diner pointing roughly at the table he just left. It then moves slightly but steady back to the left. A quick glance and he believes it be the waitress. ((As irony would have it! :-D Nice call!))

"Ladies and gentlemen, yet another reason to visit your local pie shop."

Wiliiam's body language veritably shouts 'Oh dear, I've just remembered something!' as he looks toward the waitress, and sidles over - taking the opportunity to size her up, his warmest and best smile firmly in place all the while.

"I'm terribly sorry, ma'am!" he says - his mannerism and speech pattern adjusting slightly to be more in tune with the locale. Leading behaviorists have, after all, already proven that it is very easy to mistake familiarity with affection. "Please forgive my manners. My name is William Sinclair and I just had to complement you on that pie! Do you make it yourself? Could I perhaps have the recipe? I do love pie!" ::biggrin "But then I'm sure you could tell from my order. I'm sorry, I do go on. My vices are pie and talking, really. I guess your pie must be pretty famous around these parts? Do you see many people from outside the town heading over?"

[all the while he is watching for tells to figure out what she responds to]

William grins back wryly... "Oh, don't you worry..."

"Ladies and gentlemen, yet another reason to visit your local pie shop."

Wiliiam's body language veritably shouts 'Oh dear, I've just remembered something!' as he looks toward the waitress, and sidles over - taking the opportunity to size her up, his warmest and best smile firmly in place all the while.

"I'm terribly sorry, ma'am!" he says - his mannerism and speech pattern adjusting slightly to be more in tune with the locale. Leading behaviorists have, after all, already proven that it is very easy to mistake familiarity with affection. "Please forgive my manners. My name is William Sinclair and I just had to complement you on that pie! Do you make it yourself? Could I perhaps have the recipe? I do love pie!" ::biggrin "But then I'm sure you could tell from my order. I'm sorry, I do go on. My vices are pie and talking, really. I guess your pie must be pretty famous around these parts? Do you see many people from outside the town heading over?"

[all the while he is watching for tells to figure out what she responds to]

As William begins to speak to her she shows a sign of initial shock, possibly uncomfortable with him as an outsider. The look passes however and begins to warm almost instantly as he goes on, her body language betrays attraction as she begins smoothing her outfit and fidgeting

"Well sir, I don't make the pie we have here in this place but I fer sure can bake me a pie." She chuckles as she begins to blush.

"We get mostly regulars in here, but today, my God has it been busy. You folks here o'course surely stand out, with yer fine clothes and shoes. That one over there with the hat is a bit spooky, he sure seems to send a chill down my very spine." Her eyes widen after speaking and she holds a hand up to her mouth as if shocked that she would insult one of Williams friends.

Her eyes do narrow a bit as if she remembered something. "There was another fella in here, and I'd reckon he sat at your very table, the past few days anyhow. I didn't recognize him as from around here, he was dressed fancy too, had round glasses..." She makes hoops with her fingers and holds them up to her face as she does it to accentuate the point.

"He ordered pie too, though certainly not as many as you did. He was staying at the hotel." She seems a bit more at ease with William.

"So uh, where are you staying? Here in town?" Her comment again betraying something other than a love for pie.

As William begins to speak to her she shows a sign of initial shock, possibly uncomfortable with him as an outsider. The look passes however and begins to warm almost instantly as he goes on, her body language betrays attraction as she begins smoothing her outfit and fidgeting

'Well now. ' ::biggrin William thinks to himself, as he plays to the cues, holding eye contact just slightly longer than than is proper and grinning in rapt attention as she speaks.

"Well sir, I don't make the pie we have here in this place but I fer sure can bake me a pie." She chuckles as she begins to blush."We get mostly regulars in here, but today, my God has it been busy. You folks here o'course surely stand out, with yer fine clothes and shoes. That one over there with the hat is a bit spooky, he sure seems to send a chill down my very spine." Her eyes widen after speaking and she holds a hand up to her mouth as if shocked that she would insult one of Williams friends.

William waves a hand slightly as if to say 'I understand perfectly', and lowers his voice quite a bit, because this is one time he REALLY doesn't want to be overheard, "Don't worry yourself, my dear lady, Mr Blakemore is somewhat out of sorts. He had a bit of a start last night and seems to have found the wrong side of the bed this morning. I'm sure that we will find ourselves warming to him very soon!"

Her eyes do narrow a bit as if she remembered something. "There was another fella in here, and I'd reckon he sat at your very table, the past few days anyhow. I didn't recognize him as from around here, he was dressed fancy too, had round glasses..." She makes hoops with her fingers and holds them up to her face as she does it to accentuate the point.

"He ordered pie too, though certainly not as many as you did. He was staying at the hotel." She seems a bit more at ease with William.

"So uh, where are you staying? Here in town?" Her comment again betraying something other than a love for pie.

Aha!

::biggrin William allows his eyes to widen slightly into a 'slow male just cottoned on to the fact that he might be in with a shot here' expression. "I, I have only just arrived. I believe I am to join my colleagues at the hotel this evening. But, forgive me, I cannot call you dear lady even once more. Would you give me the honor of your name?"

"Well, we are here on business, so our time is not entirely our own... as much as I... would like it otherwise... Ah Ah. Sorry, round glasses you said? Blast it. If that is Foggerty again my luck in business really run low. I, well ::smile I suppose it's all swings and roundabouts," he says looking at the waitress smiling sheepishly.

William looks slightly pained at having to continue, "I'm so sorry <waitress's name - probably Ethel> I really shouldn't be involving you in this, but I do feel I can trust you. Y'see, I'm really in the motion picture business. I'm here looking at doing a public service picture about the the recent uh... well, the happenings here. This man, Foggerty, he is a rival of mine and he's beaten me to a story before. If it is him. Well, I wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing he has done it again. If you do see him here again, would you let me or one of my colleagues know? We'll likely be around the sheriff. I could come back and check, just t'see if it is ... I could maybe change my idea a little. But, whatever y'do, don't let on. Please promise? You are a true godsend! I do look forward to, more of acquaintance!"

William then makes his way back over to the table once more, and says "Gentlemen, an inspiration has just come to me ::biggrin. Would you mind joining me for a short walk?" before leading them via a slightly circuitous route to the hotel - whilst filling them in on the possible 'stranger danger' angle.

• 2 weeks later...

William looks slightly pained at having to continue, "I'm so sorry <waitress's name - probably Ethel> I really shouldn't be involving you in this, but I do feel I can trust you. Y'see, I'm really in the motion picture business. I'm here looking at doing a public service picture about the the recent uh... well, the happenings here. This man, Foggerty, he is a rival of mine and he's beaten me to a story before. If it is him. Well, I wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing he has done it again. If you do see him here again, would you let me or one of my colleagues know? We'll likely be around the sheriff. I could come back and check, just t'see if it is ... I could maybe change my idea a little. But, whatever y'do, don't let on. Please promise? You are a true godsend! I do look forward to, more of acquaintance!"

William then makes his way back over to the table once more, and says "Gentlemen, an inspiration has just come to me ::biggrin. Would you mind joining me for a short walk?" before leading them via a slightly circuitous route to the hotel - whilst filling them in on the possible 'stranger danger' angle.

She smiles, taking no shame in flustered cheeks. "My name is Viaola sir...and if I see yer friend, I'll be sure ta let you know."

The rush of business and the angry look of who must've been her boss alert her that she has delayed for too long.

"I've got ta be going...I hope to see you soon."

She moved away then, aloof if not dazed completely by the encounter.

Adam hisses a bit in frustration upon hearing about the other stranger.

"The hotel. I should have thought of that. The Monster wasn't there after us, it was just there for the same reason we were, it's the obvious place to stay. He was probably in the room next door or across the hall from the attack."

"He might even still be there. ::ohmy If he's not we want to search the room, if he is... I think we need to talk to the hotel staff right now."

The scene back at the bed and breakfast is still abuzz with life as the Sheriff and his deputies are keeping the locals out of the property. The majority of the debris has been removed and the Pandora truck and wagon are no where to be seen. A brief conversation with Deacon relays that the one casualty happened to be Granton Lake, the owner and operator.

"His body is mutalated just like the rest o' them. Granton was a good man, God rest his soul. He had one person that worked the property with him, Thomas Everrett. He made repairs and kept the place clean. Granton did all the cookin' too, damn fine food if ye ask me."

Deacon opens the line so the Pandora team can inspect inside. Keeping his eyes fixed to his notebook he adds.

"I can fetch Thomas if ya need me too, he's at home with the Lake family. He was a close friend and Granton's."

Deacon, has yet to change his clothes and still looks like the ran from bed with his pajama shirt hanging out from his pants. As the group passes, he sigh's a bit as if in relief to be out of the Ophidian's presence.

• 2 weeks later...

Adam says,

"Yes please, I think we're going to need to talk to Thomas. If there was a desk man or someone else who'd have met the people staying here we're going to need to talk to them as well."

No matter what the answer is Adam takes a look at the hotel's log book.

William is looking about a bit distractedly during this exchange, [looking about at any and all onlookers to see if anyone matches the description he's been given] but seems to come back to himself at this point. He nods agreement at Adam's handling of the Sheriff's question and heads for the log book.

"Oh, and I'd keep this zombie monster theory between ya'll"

His toothy grin and a nod are his goodbye's as he moves through the diner and back out into the street

"It issssno theory, Mister Algretto..." The Ophidian seems to almost choke on the corpulent man's name. "I have ssseen creature myself."

William then makes his way back over to the table once more, and says "Gentlemen, an inspiration has just come to me ::biggrin . Would you mind joining me for a short walk?" before leading them via a slightly circuitous route to the hotel - whilst filling them in on the possible 'stranger danger' angle.

"The hotel. I should have thought of that. The Monster wasn't there after us, it was just there for the same reason we were, it's the obvious place to stay. He was probably in the room next door or across the hall from the attack."
"Curious....you are postulating our quarry may in fact be some manner of Lycanthrope?"

"Curious....you are postulating our quarry may in fact be some manner of Lycanthrope?"
Adam replies,

"Not 'he' the monster, 'He' the master. We were thinking the monster was after us, but it probably just slipped it's leash and grabbed the first person it saw."

"...But that's an interesting idea. It'd explain how it can take up residence in an Inn without anyone noticing."

Within the next hour, Deacon has acquired Thomas Everett the assistant operator of the inn. With his help the team has access to room guest ledger. After reading the log but a moment, as it has few entries, aside from the names that are recognizable as their own, there was only one name that was entered in the past 11 days, a Mr. Thomas Tellford. The assistant takes you up to his room, and opens the door with little interest in the teams credentials, he requires no explanation. The heat and humidity do little to calm the smell that comes with death. The breeze blows in the stench of the remaining blood and gore from the room across the hall where the battle began the night before.

The room inside is similar to all the others, though the accents differ. The full size bed is made and the room appears orderly.

"This here be Mr. Thomas's room, feel free to look around. I'll be checkin' the other rooms'n such, see if there is any other damage needin' be attendin too. Just leave it open when ya'll leave, I'll see to it."

Thee room is simple, one bed, a tall dresser, a desk with an empty water basin and bed pan. The small window looks down upon the rear of the house and the yard.

Within the next hour, Deacon has acquired Thomas Everett the assistant operator of the inn. With his help the team has access to room guest ledger. After reading the log but a moment, as it has few entries, aside from the names that are recognizable as their own, there was only one name that was entered in the past 11 days, a Mr. Thomas Tellford. The assistant takes you up to his room, and opens the door with little interest in the teams credentials, he requires no explanation. The heat and humidity do little to calm the smell that comes with death. The breeze blows in the stench of the remaining blood and gore from the room across the hall where the battle began the night before.

As Everett moves to show the team around, William offers to shake his hand, looking him in the eye and sincerely saying, "Mr Everett, I am so sorry to have to trouble you in your loss like this. If there is anything at all we can do for you, you just have to say."

Looking at the name in the Ledger, William says, "I did once have a Graphologist man analyze my writing... what was it he said now? Left slanted letters is emotional withdrawal? I think I can remember how it works."

[invoking instant expert on Mr Tellford's handwriting]

The room inside is similar to all the others, though the accents differ. The full size bed is made and the room appears orderly.

"This here be Mr. Thomas's room, feel free to look around. I'll be checkin' the other rooms'n such, see if there is any other damage needin' be attendin too. Just leave it open when ya'll leave, I'll see to it."

Thee room is simple, one bed, a tall dresser, a desk with an empty water basin and bed pan. The small window looks down upon the rear of the house and the yard.

William moves to the window and looks out and down, before searching the room.

The Ophidian remains aloof to the hotel staff as is his custom. There is a subtle disdain in his manner, however given other's reactions to him, keeping his distance is probably healthier for them.

He doesn't speak. He simply moves slowly through the room, a serpent tasting the air for clues...

The team spends several minutes going over the guest room in great detail. The closet is empty and there is no luggage or clothing and no novelty kit. It would appear that this traveler travels light or has already left the hotel. Working together, Adam and William move the heavy wood bed frame away from the wall. The Ophidian fluidly moves in behind them looking around the newly exposed floor and wall area for clues. Moving back to the window William stares down on the back alley and finds himself momentarily day dreaming.

The Ophidian's unearthly senses uncover a few rogue blood droplets along the side of the bed leg, closest to the adjoining desk. His expression at the find, draws William from his day dream back to reality. The first thing he notices is a man standing down in the alley looking up at him. The man has a small bowler hat, round glasses and brownish suit, and carries a attache case.

It seems as if time slows to a crawl, as the two stare at each other...then he turns and runs!

If pursuit is wished initiative order is:

***I edited the initiative. Sorry, I'm stupid :-D***

William (Considering you're the lookout you get promoted to first.)

Ophidian

Adam

Brown Suit

Back when he is looking at the signature in the log book, William smiles - perhaps surprising even himself, "Actually - I think I do recognize a few things from my travels- In foreign parts they tend to shape some letters differently... From the unusual T, F and R I'd guess our suspect is something of a polyglot. And from the overall style... it's concise but... sloppy. I knew a few people at Oxford who wrote like that - scholars who weren't terribly prissy - all focussed on specific goals rather than just hoarding of knowledge...."

He shrugs, "It's amazing what you can tell from a signature... I begin to wander if we're seeking Mr Stevenson's Dr Jekyll rather than an asian terror. Then again, perhaps it's all nonsense..."

The team spends several minutes going over the guest room in great detail. The closet is empty and there is no luggage or clothing and no novelty kit. It would appear that this traveler travels light or has already left the hotel. Working together, Adam and William move the heavy wood bed frame away from the wall. The Ophidian fluidly moves in behind them looking around the newly exposed floor and wall area for clues. Moving back to the window William stares down on the back alley and finds himself momentarily day dreaming.

The Ophidian's unearthly senses uncover a few rogue blood droplets along the side of the bed leg, closest to the adjoining desk. His expression at the find, draws William from his day dream back to reality. The first thing he notices is a man standing down in the alley looking up at him. The man has a small bowler hat, round glasses and brownish suit, and carries a attache case.

It seems as if time slows to a crawl, as the two stare at each other...then he turns and runs!

If pursuit is wished initiative order is:

***I edited the initiative. Sorry, I'm stupid :-D***

William (Considering you're the lookout you get promoted to first.)

Ophidian

Adam

Brown Suit

"Quickly! It's him!" William shouts as he dashes onto the fire escape after the quarry.

The Ophidian hisses into his sleeve and it is answered in kind by a juvenile copperhead. Pulling it out into the open, he strips his hand along its length prompting it to stiffen it's muscular body. Rearing back, the Serpentine man launches the reptile through the aitr as if a living arrow.

((Spend a point of WP and a point of Inspiration to double my dice for the roll.))

The man in the suit turned and began to ran down the small alley way as the Pandora team lept into action. In one movement, William tosses the window open and begins to move quickly down a fire escape leaving a short 40 feet from him and the brown suit. As if timed to perfection, Adam Trooper moves the opposite direction as he flies across the small hallway and leaps from the opening of the building, landing safely in a tree and then on the ground as he had only hours before. Adam catches a glimpse of his quarry down the alley about 30 yards away.

The Ophidian's action however, would certainly have been the highlighted moment had anyone seen. With his serpentine movements, he slips through the open window easily. Extending his his arm awkwardly into the air, a snake scurries out from his sleeve into his open hand. As if a spell was lifted that gave the creature life and returned it to stone, the snake stiffened into a surreal living spear. The Ophidian measured the distance and the moving target and let fly his weapon.

The man in the suit, running with his small attache in hand, moved with a bit of athleticism, avoiding easily several obstacles and seemed un-encumbered by his case. This was until, he was blasted by flying serpent. The snake missile both knocked him off stride and caused him to panic as it bit into his hand, delivering a dose of deadly venom. The snake was afforded that single bite until he tossed it hard against the wall, visibly shaken. He steadied himself and immediately began to open his pack as he continued moving a few more feet and around the corner of the next building...out of view.

Round 2

Ophidian

Adam

Brown Suit

William

The Ophidian does not wince as his pet is dashed into hard stone...his heart is too cold for such empathy. Knowing that the bite would surely slow the man down, The Ophidian makes his way after William, showing uncanny grace and making barely a sound as his feet fly underneath him, faster and more liquid than any mortal.

Upon contacting the ground, his bejeweled purba finds its way once more into his grip.

((Closing distance. Action possible?))

Reaching the ground, William dashes after the quarry, and seeing that his colleagues have already taken this chase to the next level, draws a snub little pistol, the top of the barrel equipped with a bizarre-but-compact sighting mechanism, from a shoulder holster built into the lining of his coat.

He shouts "Stop!" as he runs, but, if the learned gentleman doesn't stop, and if he gets a clear shot, he will line up the red dot sight and fire - targetting centre mass.

The entire team in pursuit, Adam Trooper is the first to round the corner and has just enough time to see the man in the suit looking quite disheveled, leaning against the wall. He appears to be sticking something into his leg. Instantly the man turns to Adam and looses something in his direction.

The others round the corner together.

Round Three

Adam ((projectile incoming))

Ophidian

William

Suit

The entire team in pursuit, Adam Trooper is the first to round the corner and has just enough time to see the man in the suit looking quite disheveled, leaning against the wall. He appears to be sticking something into his leg. Instantly the man turns to Adam and looses something in his direction.

The others round the corner together.

Round Three

Adam ((projectile incoming))

Ophidian

William

Suit

William aims and fires as soon as he can.

With surprising savagery, the Ophidian leaps full on into the air at the suited man. Both of his eyes are wide open and dilated and he makes a sound...a cross between an aggracated hiss and a primal, ragged scream as he launches at his target. There is something disconcerting about his outburst, so strangely reminiscent of the Jiang Shi.

((OOC: Attack with Dagger...aiming for a non lethal strike, ie the shoulder region. Once he is in melee, a few of his snakes will make attacks of their own, springing out of the Ophidian's clothes...))

The fight ended as quick as it began. Adam Trooper, after rounding the corner sword in hand, sees that the man had thrown something at him. The ageless reflexes of a master, he sword cuts a small but powerful arc in front of him, cleaving the soft projectile easily as it fall harmlessly in pieces. In the same move, his feet step in and he drives his sword into his prey's lower abdomen. As the masters blade enters the stomach, another driven by the Ophidian slams hard into the left shoulder biting hard into his collar bone. Leaving nothing to chance, the man's fate ends with a BOOM as blood bursts again from his chest as Williams bullet finds the read dot, center mast.

The man doesn't speak, as blood flies from his mouth, he's dead before he slides to the ground.

As he withdraws his blade, Adam notices a bitter and strange taste on his lips. A quick survey and he senses that he is slightly damp, though there is not odor.

Adam says,

"Ah, crap. No one touch me, I've been poisoned."

William says, "Mr Trooper, try not to move, I hear that makes it worse..." and backs off, keeping his pistol pointing roughly in the direction of the dead scholar, but giving himself enough room to change targets at short notice if he has to...

If all seems safe, he'll crouch down and examine what's left of the projectile - hoping for the off chance that whatever it is might have been mentioned in tales of his brothers' more exotic adventures...

William says, "Mr Trooper, try not to move, I hear that makes it worse..." and backs off, keeping his pistol pointing roughly in the direction of the dead scholar, but giving himself enough room to change targets at short notice if he has to...
Adam frowned, then replied,

"No. *I* will be ok, it's the rest of you I'm warning off."

"Whatever this stuff is, whatever it's supposed to do, it's still active. An alchemist good enough to make a monster can make a contact poison too. You should assume this is a nasty poison and that you could die if you touch me. Ditto anything else that's 'wet'. "

The body of the dead man remains motionless, no signs that he is somehow returning from the dead. He sits propped up against the wall, he brown suit and white shirt turned red with blood. At he left is an open brown leather attache with some of its contents spilled out onto the dirt ground. Several vials, and some paperwork are visible.

Whatever splashed Adam has yet to have any effect.

Williams inspection does show the remnants of a maleable sack, with small traces of clear fluid inside. William recognizes that it shares similarities to a container used to store and transport blood for hospitals, or closely resembles it.

To the Ophidian who's senses are too acute for his own good, the smell is quite distinct and unlike anything he's encountered before.

Adam was of two thoughts on his guard duty.

First, the master and beast were the same thing, thus standing guard was nothing more than just making sure he didn't poison anyone else and that the 'master's' corpse didn't rise.

Second, that the master and beast were NOT the same thing, thus the beast could be near bye and getting closer. Standing guard could be more "interesting" in that case.

Deciding that the second was the thing to watch out for, Adam did a full turn and scanned the roof tops on the look out for the "creature".

The contents of the man's case spilled onto the street as the team looks further at the contents. Inside are several "vials" similar to the one that Alex sliced. There are also two very thick, large needles with a dark green liquid inside. The papers are numerous and almost all of them upon quick scan are written in apparent gibberish. The one paper they find that they can read, William recognizes as an exact match to the name entered into the ledger at the hotel.

A quick scan of the page reveals the following.

Dear Mr. Piper,

I am writing this to let you know that I am closing down Gentek laboratories. Our experiments were successful beyond our wildest imaginings. Unfortunately, those successes have grown past our control and we have a responsibility to fix our mistakes. With that in mind, I will go after subject number four and eliminate it. I understand that this may not be in your best interest, but its the right thing to do.

This is my letter of resignation.

Respectfully,

-Thomas Tellford

Archived